Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2013, 12:10   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

So after reading the review completely & going through most of the comments, it appears that car is reasonably good, in fact very good in some areas like looks, handling etc. So all it comes down to pricing by Ford. If pricing is good, it is sure shot going to be a big hit in the market. If pricing is missed like new Fiesta, then i will say it will do moderate numbers. My approximate guess on pricing is as below:

Petrol 1.5 : 6 - 8 Lacs
Diesel 1.5 : 7 - 9 Lacs
Ecoboost : 7 - 9 Lacs

All prices are ex show room Delhi. If this is the pricing then i am happy. I can think of going for Diesel version
Old 30th May 2013, 12:42   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedragula View Post
Here is an interesting link about the wrong application of the Ecoboost engines and also has a mention of the Ford F-150.

http://rockyroadblog.com/stupid-tech...t-engines-2244

I tend to agree with the logic here. The Ecosport with the ecoboost engine will almost entirely rely on the turbo to power the car. Almost every review confirms that there is a significant turbo lag and things start looking up only from about 1800-2000 rpm.
I have read similar reports earlier also and while I agree with the general logic, I still think turbocharged engines aren't all that bad.

Ofcourse, there is no replacement for displacement as they say and a small turbocharged engine will always need to be on the boil to be useful. I'd have preferred if Ford had used a 1.6 or 1.4ltr ecoboost for the Ecosport.

That said, the above article claims the reviewer got 34mpg (against a claim of 38) on an open road at 70mph. That, if my maths is correct, translates to about 15kpl at a speed of 112kmph.

ARAI tests in India claim a mileage of around 18 for this engine, so I think about 15 on highway runs is pretty decent.

In the cities even if you keep the engine on the boil, the rpm will hardly exceed 3500 or so in a particular gear and at that point it should give you a mileage of about 14 or so.

The reviewers all got 7-8 because they were probably idling a lot and obviously testing the engine to the limit of 6500 rpm frequently. I doubt, in real world usage, anyone will get that low a figure.
Old 30th May 2013, 14:02   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
What I am worried about is the stiff ride quality which the official review has pointed out. Just love the ride in a Duster which is the prime competitor at the moment for the Eco-Sport.I just get an uncomfortable feeling that Ford might have made it much more stiffer than actually required on the pretext of better highway manners, sportiness etc. etc. Will it be a deal breaker for me?
FORD in general provides stiff suspension in its cars to aid better handling. Not that the ride gets affected. Just like in case of cars like Figo and Fiesta, ride is little stiff at low speeds but once the speed rises the car moves flat. There isnt excessive vertical movement which keeps the occupants comfortable.

Duster surely has got excellent ride quality but I am sure Ford will provide adequate comfort in Ecosport as is with most of its cars.

Though I am not sure if Verna to Ecosport is a right migration.
Old 30th May 2013, 14:08   #334
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone driven the 1.5 L Auto Ecosport ? Will be great if details can be shared.

Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 14:09   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
30 kilos is hefty but I really doubt that Ford will change the suspension tuning just for that 30 kilos.
Can this kind of tuning be done on finished product at authorised service centre? Say after taking delivery of the car I want a softer suspension. What I need is a suspension which absorbs the bumps on rough patches of road, like semi pucca roads and patched up roads where the new patches are about 1" higher than old and this up-down goes on for entire stretch of road. Can the service centre do it?

Last edited by Guite : 30th May 2013 at 14:15.
Old 30th May 2013, 15:49   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone driven the 1.5 L Auto Ecosport ? Will be great if details can be shared.
Yes, even I'm waiting for that. Just read the diesel version review on the HT website, but doesn't answer my questions. I am more interested in the 1.5L petrol performance. The EcoBoost engine maybe revolutionary but a comparison with a regular, tried and tested 1.5L Ford engine would put a lot of other items in perspective- especially the driveability. Again, pricing is the key. If the 1.5L is equal to or less than the EcoBoost variant in terms of cost, then I wonder if the EcoBoost would be able to set the sales charts on fire?
Old 30th May 2013, 16:14   #337
BHPian

The expected pricing of this car has already been beaten to death on this forum. As someone who has already fallen for this car, alas with shallow pockets, I cannot help but speculate. From the earlier posts and other posts in general, if I have a running of 700-800 Kms a month, the suggestion is to go for the 1.5 Petrol Ecosport. Would you say the Trend 1.5 Petrol be under 7.5 ex-showroom? Just wanted to know the opinion of experts though I do thoroughly expect Ford to disappoint me with the pricing! Don't do that Ford.
Old 30th May 2013, 17:39   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup? View Post
Just wanted to know the opinion of experts though I do thoroughly expect Ford to disappoint me with the pricing! Don't do that Ford.
My guess is the launch price to be 6.99 lacs starting
Old 30th May 2013, 17:56   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup? View Post
Just wanted to know the opinion of experts though I do thoroughly expect Ford to disappoint me with the pricing! Don't do that Ford.
All I heard from the SA was that the 1.5 AT is going to be around 10+ lacs OTR Chennai. Not sure on the other variants.
Old 30th May 2013, 17:59   #340
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Can this kind of tuning be done on finished product at authorised service centre? Say after taking delivery of the car I want a softer suspension. What I need is a suspension which absorbs the bumps on rough patches of road, like semi pucca roads and patched up roads where the new patches are about 1" higher than old and this up-down goes on for entire stretch of road. Can the service centre do it?
No not at all. The suspension is set based on the springs and dampers used. Both of these cannot be tuned.
Old 30th May 2013, 18:21   #341
BHPian

Shapur Kotwal. in the June issue of Autocar, sums up the Ecosport's Ride & handling as follows:-

Quote: "What they have controlled really well is pitching and rolling. The Ecosport always feels neat and tidy, however hard you enter a corner, and the quick and direct electric steering is an absolute joy as well. There's almost no slack and the lack of excessive weight over the front wheels allows the Ecosport to drive in and out of corners like a go-kart. The electric steering offers a reasonable amount of feel. So for ride and handling, this car gets 10 on 10." Unquote.

Hell if Ford have managed to retain 70% of the Fusion's steering feel i will be more than happy.

Another point that struck me is the Ecobost has a kerb weight of 1259 kg. whereas the CRV (new) 2.0 MT has a wt. of 1470 kg. So one can expect european levels of build & stiffness.

Now I only hope Ford offers the Titanium Option pack, as a special order, on the 1.5AT.
Old 30th May 2013, 19:03   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Shapur Kotwal. in the June issue of Autocar, sums up the Ecosport's Ride & handling as follows:-

Quote: "What they have controlled really well is pitching and rolling. The Ecosport always feels neat and tidy, however hard you enter a corner, and the quick and direct electric steering is an absolute joy as well. There's almost no slack and the lack of excessive weight over the front wheels allows the Ecosport to drive in and out of corners like a go-kart. The electric steering offers a reasonable amount of feel. So for ride and handling, this car gets 10 on 10." Unquote.

Hell if Ford have managed to retain 70% of the Fusion's steering feel i will be more than happy.

Another point that struck me is the Ecobost has a kerb weight of 1259 kg. whereas the CRV (new) 2.0 MT has a wt. of 1470 kg. So one can expect european levels of build & stiffness.

Now I only hope Ford offers the Titanium Option pack, as a special order, on the 1.5AT.
Ecosport might end up among the best handling cars this side of 10 lakhs.

Once thing I have noticed is that the n/a 1.5 litre petrol version is actually lighter than the Ecoboost version !

I really wonder if one gets better efficiency from these turbo petrol engines as an advantage for being smaller
Old 30th May 2013, 19:15   #343
BHPian

The EcoSport will probably end up as the best handling car in the nearby price range.
Was reading the Autocar India online review and saw this image:
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-0_468_700_http__i.haymarket.net.au_extraimages_20130507035411__dsc6298-copy.jpg
If you see the right rear tyre, you will notice that it is off the ground.

That to me is the classic idea of a performance front wheel drive car. Inside rear tire off the ground under hard cornering, a trait noticed in Ford Focus STs, Fiesta STs, Honda Civic Type-R and others. An indication of a stiff suspension.
nipcarlover is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 20:30   #344
BHPian

Great review vid. Looks like this is going to make the SUV market even more competitive and is going to hit other manufacturers real hard. I do hope Ford gets their pricing right. If its more than Duster, its going to be a straight competition with the duster and also brings Scorpio to the mix. Though Scorpio has been in the market for a long time and has not gone a major upgrade barring cosmetic stuff. Lets wait and watch.
Old 30th May 2013, 20:33   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
No not at all. The suspension is set based on the springs and dampers used. Both of these cannot be tuned.
One could go in for Koni dampers & adjust to one's liking. But will be at an additional cost & possibly cast a shadow on the warranty. Ford are very prickly about non - Ford parts being fitted. I have Bosch wiper blades on our Fusion. Every servicing they add a note to the report re non-Ford wiper blades!! Fortunately vehicle is out of warranty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks