Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2015, 17:26   #1951
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee_bat View Post
What is the correct upsize if I want to change the rims to 17"? I want the least road noise and most comfort as possible, driving in Delhi traffic doesn't give opportunities for showcasing performance anyway
Are you not worried about the warranty getting void?

For the longest time I did consider upsizing to 17 inchers but gave up the thought as I did not want to take chances with Skoda who could in all probability void the warranty even if you put a sticker on the car
Old 6th October 2015, 18:06   #1952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
Are you not worried about the warranty getting void?

For the longest time I did consider upsizing to 17 inchers but gave up the thought as I did not want to take chances with Skoda who could in all probability void the warranty even if you put a sticker on the car
How does changing tyres void warranty?! Now I'll definitely change them and take them to court if they even so much as suggest that my warranty is affected by the change.
Old 6th October 2015, 18:13   #1953
BHPian

Quote:
How does changing tyres void warranty?! Now I'll definitely change them and take them to court if they even so much as suggest that my warranty is affected by the change.
Upsizing to 17inch from 16inch would definitely void the suspension warranty, ideally upsizing the width as well would affect the warranty however that is something that may not be noticed however changing to 17inch will definitely be noticed.

Have you not read enough from others like Harish on the forum already about taking Skoda to court?
Old 6th October 2015, 18:14   #1954
BHPian

Quote:
They may claim that the dsg was calibrated for specific rim and tire size and hence may lead to issues related to dsg. Also suspension may get affected in the long run.
Old 6th October 2015, 18:25   #1955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
Upsizing to 17inch from 16inch would definitely void the suspension warranty, ideally upsizing the width as well would affect the warranty however that is something that may not be noticed however changing to 17inch will definitely be noticed.

Have you not read enough from others like Harish on the forum already about taking Skoda to court?
Haven't read those posts, that's unfortunate. But such arbitrary warranty terms are bound to be set aside by court. Surprised how Skoda didn't settle out of court or buckle under the threat of being sued.
The dsg calibration excuse could be legit though. Will go read the warranty t&c today. Either way, sounds bizarre that upsizing would void warranty. Will stick to stock then, was only upgrading because of a possible alloy wheel upgrade (which I hope doesn't void warranty)
Old 6th October 2015, 19:52   #1956
BHPian

Quote:
Haven't read those posts, that's unfortunate. But such arbitrary warranty terms are bound to be set aside by court. Surprised how Skoda didn't settle out of court or buckle under the threat of being sued.
The dsg calibration excuse could be legit though. Will go read the warranty t&c today. Either way, sounds bizarre that upsizing would void warranty. Will stick to stock then, was only upgrading because of a possible alloy wheel upgrade (which I hope doesn't void warranty)
Changing the alloys would also definitely void warranty even in the stock size unless you choose a different set of rims and buy it from Skoda itself, these terms and conditions are valid across the range of VAG cars and very well known.

I can literally salivate at the thought of owning an Octavia with 17inch BBS or Borbet rims for which I had done a fair bit of research already but then I do not have the guts or patience to take on Skoda in case something goes wrong so gave up on the idea.
Old 6th October 2015, 20:20   #1957
BHPian

What?! Doesn't make any sense though. Pure money making tactic. If this was Toyota I'd gamble on the warranty and take it to court, but knowing Skoda I guess I'll just stick to stick everything. I hope painting the wheels doesn't void warranty cause I hate these multi spoke alloys!

Skoda 1 me 0
Old 8th October 2015, 06:51   #1958
BHPian

Was looking at the upgraded specs of the Octavia. Will it be possible to have these- paddle shifters, rear camera, upgraded infotainment system- retro fitted into a 2014 version octy? Will, the dealers do it?
Old 8th October 2015, 09:18   #1959
BHPian

The marked light is remaining on even when I am driving. Shouldn't this also go off once the engine is started ?
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20151008_075121327.jpg  

Old 8th October 2015, 09:24   #1960
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post
The marked light is remaining on even when I am driving. Shouldn't this also go off once the engine is started ?
From the user manual:

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-wl.png

Name:  WL2.PNG
Views: 2707
Size:  24.1 KB

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th October 2015 at 09:26.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 09:29   #1961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsr View Post
Was looking at the upgraded specs of the Octavia. Will it be possible to have these- paddle shifters, rear camera, upgraded infotainment system- retro fitted into a 2014 version octy? Will, the dealers do it?

Asked the dealers and service centres in Delhi and they didn't have a clue, of course it can be retrofitted, the bolero system has a provision for cameras and DVD players to be fitted with a decoder like dynavin. Can't say as to when they'll start retrofitting officially.
Old 9th October 2015, 10:07   #1962
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, did this get resolved? Concerned something like this popping up on a brand new car.
Old 9th October 2015, 10:10   #1963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hey, did this get resolved? Concerned something like this popping up on a brand new car.
Was given a slot today 10 AM at the service center for a scan and diagnosis. But yesterday evening the warning went off by itself. Some temporary issue. I checked again with the service guys, they said bring the car if it comes again.
Old 9th October 2015, 10:14   #1964
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Was given a slot today 10 AM at the service center for a scan and diagnosis. But yesterday evening the warning went off by itself. Some temporary issue. I checked again with the service guys, they said bring the car if it comes again.
Good to hear that, you must be relieved. Do click more pictures of that lovely steering wheel and shifters plus the new HU, including the reverse camera in operation if possible.
Old 13th October 2015, 11:43   #1965
BHPian

Quite update: My car had its general checkup at 6 months. It had run 8000 kms. The service appointment was given 10 days from the date of booking (Tafe access service center, Hosur road, Bangalore). I had no complaints but just wanted to be sure. Had a washer fluid warning and a couple of false TPMS warnings but otherwise nothing at all. Had to wait an hour for the car to be handed over and another hour on the next day for the car to be handed back. Same day completion wasn't possible apparently. All par for the course I assume. No oil topup was done. Just washer fluid and coolant were topped up and electronics checked with no issues found. The washing was very so so but they had done a decent job with the interior. Considering the whole thing was free, I dint mind.
phreakv6 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks