Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-99.html)

Booked the VX CVT today in Mumbai & was told one SV CVT (White) was ready if i wanted it - thought long & hard and declined - paying the 1.8L extra onroad just for the paddles so that i can channel my inner Fernando Alonso on empty roads :) Waiting has been mentioned as 6 months & am looking for suggestions from the BHPians on how to expedite this? I have no MLA/MP contacts :/

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepakv (Post 3402451)
Booked the VX CVT today in Mumbai & was told one SV CVT (White) was ready if i wanted it - thought long & hard and declined - paying the 1.8L extra onroad just for the paddles so that i can channel my inner Fernando Alonso on empty roads :) Waiting has been mentioned as 6 months & am looking for suggestions from the BHPians on how to expedite this? I have no MLA/MP contacts :/

If you don't mind me asking, which dealer have you done your booking through?

I drive a 2-year old Honda City (2012 manufactured). I wanted to know whether Honda has changed the tyre dimensions etc in the new City. While a lot of people have criticised the tyres in City and described those as 'puny', I never faced any problem with my City in this regard. A lot of people had suggested me to change the tyres and upgrade to more wide tyres. But for some reason I always resisted, thinking that there must be some ... some reason why Honda is sticking to these tyres, though even a lot of experts on this forum have also suggested an upgrade. But I believe I am right in not upgrading the tyres and they have never betrayed me as well. I am sure I will stick to my tyres even if I buy a new City tomorrow (I am particularly a Honda fan for its fuss-free ownership experience though I also own a BMW. The BMW may be a sign of so-called prestige for me, but anyday I pick up my Honda if I plan a holiday trip outside Mumbai). I would love to know more opinions of new City owners on tyre upgrades.

What should be the correct air pressure for the tyres? Honda is suggesting 32psi for front and 30psi for rear. Asking this as my much small car Hyundai i10 has a prescribed tyre pressure of 33psi. What do the experts suggest here? I am currently using my City with the tyre pressure suggested by Honda.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankan_g (Post 3402511)
What should be the correct air pressure for the tyres? Honda is suggesting 32psi for front and 30psi for rear. Asking this as my much small car Hyundai i10 has a prescribed tyre pressure of 33psi. What do the experts suggest here? I am currently using my City with the tyre pressure suggested by Honda.

I am not an expert, but still I can suggest you with confidence that do as Honda is suggesting. There are a lot of other factors that come into play while suggesting tyre pressure for a particular type of car.

To all City owners,

I own a VX City and while I quite like the design of the dashboard, the area around the music system has picked up some bad scratches. Even the black shiny polish has chipped off from a couple places and my car has done just 900 odd kms till now. I wonder what the condition will be in a few months down the line. Is there any way we can protect the whole area?

Can I install some kind of a protective film or scratch-guard from 3M or any other car care service?

Some quick inputs will be highly appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeKay (Post 3402547)
To all City owners,

I own a VX City and while I quite like the design of the dashboard, the area around the music system has picked up some bad scratches. Even the black shiny polish has chipped off from a couple places and my car has done just 900 odd kms till now. I wonder what the condition will be in a few months down the line. Is there any way we can protect the whole area?

Can I install some kind of a protective film or scratch-guard from 3M or any other car care service?

I havent faced such any issues with chipping off bits but it has got a lot of scratches already. It has to be said that this was a very bad choice of material of the most touched part on the dashboard and it will look terrible in the long run.

Quote:

To all City owners,

Quote:

Originally Posted by nik_kapur (Post 3402577)
I havent faced such any issues with chipping off bits but it has got a lot of scratches already. It has to be said that this was a very bad choice of material of the most touched part on the dashboard and it will look terrible in the long run.

That's a serious concern. it was my first thought when i saw it in person that this will be scratch prone. I guess it can be avoided by scratch guard but need to find it so whoever does kindly update it here.

Quote:

Your best bet on this would be 3M but I am not sure whether they have suitable material for application on this particular area. You can also try some local mobile accessory shops. They usually carve screen guards from a roll. I think they'll be able to apply it over the shiny area. But remember to choose a professional, else things may get messed up. In case you are interested in DIY check this eBay link for the roll. Hope this helps:)

Booked Honda City CVT (SV Trim) today. Honda City prices are increasing by 15000 (for SV Trim) rupees from tomorrow. If I'd paid the Down payment or Full Payment today I could have got the 15000 waived off. However, 3 of my color choices were not available (White, Titanium and Red). So I decided to pay the extra 15000 and will take the delivery only after June middle. Auspicious time for me :)

I had only one problem with the VX variant. Due to the sunroof, I was finding my headroom to be some what lesser compared to the non sunroof models. I am almost 6 feet tall.

Need to choose between White and Titanium since my Wagon R is already a Red one.

Also, as per the Service Advisor of Peninsular Honda, he is recommending to upgrade tires to 185/60 R15 from the stock 175/65 R16. He said not to go for 195 since that can cause about 1 km drop in mileage. With 185 the difference will be marginal. Not sure. Need some expert advice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adarsh76 (Post 3402704)
Also, as per the Service Advisor of Peninsular Honda, he is recommending to upgrade tires to 185/60 R15 from the stock 175/65 R16. He said not to go for 195 since that can cause about 1 km drop in mileage. With 185 the difference will be marginal. Not sure. Need some expert advice.

Congratulations on the booking for your new car Adarsh!
Following is quote from the review that should be of help to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3322005)
175/65 R15 tyres are skinny by segment standards (even the Dzire ZDi is shod with 185s!). For the kind of power that the petrol variant has on tap, 195 mm is the minimum required width. Thin tyres might be chosen for high ARAI ratings. Upgrade recommended for your safety

Quote:

Originally Posted by deevilslair (Post 3399178)
The noise for me was some sort of rattle or growl or grunt. It sounded as if something was stuck and fowling somewhere. I actually stopped to check if something was stuck in the tires etc., Strangely this sound went off at higher speeds. I am supposed to get my car back today. Shall update you once I see what Honda has to say.

Will check the engine sound as well. The advantage at a service center is we can check vs other cars there to see what is par and what is abnormal.

I reckon this post is long due. I got my car back last week, full 6 days after giving it for my first service (after 1000km). Quick recap on the problems and the solutions provided by Honda:-

1. Remote Key not working : This was the "key" issue with the car. lol:

Honda took quite some time to get around this. The first diagnosis was that some fuse had blown out, and kept getting so when the remote key was used. They isolated the problem to some dashboard wiring issue and replaced the same. Remote Key's working perfectly fine now.

Also note, while the remote keys weren't working, the car was still locking fine. One had to use the door keys in the old school style.

2. Dash board trip meter and AVG kept resetting to '0' on starting the car : This also got sorted with the wiring change. Some case of electronics gone crazy. Works perfectly fine now.

3. Grunt or Growling noise at low speeds : They diagnosed this to some "loose nut" under the chassis around the transmission cover box. :Shockked: that was my reaction. I checked with the Honda engineer as well - who said that it wasn't a serious issue and they had fixed it. The car drives absolutely silently now. I wasn't quite convinced and demanded to drive a few other cars from the yard to check if my car sounded the same.

After around 35 minutes and 3 different cars, I was convinced. Car is super silent now and I have to honk hard while driving in my apartment complex as people don't realize that a car's coming behind them clap:

4. Steering off center : Finally, after taking delivery, also noticed that the steering was off center. To drive in a straight line, the steering had to be skewed slightly to the left - around 10 degrees. Didn't really feel the car pulling to one side though. Drove back to the service center and got the alignment etc., checked. Must have been a case that they put it back in a hurry after correcting the dashboard wiring. Anyway they rectified it fine.

So that's the update from here.

And some pics of my red beauty...

The first one - thanking the Gods after getting the car

Second one - en-route target 1000 km, trip to Kasauli

Third One - The shining knight at Kasauli

Just received my car (Yes it got delivered at 12am! :Frustrati) , the dealership had to deliver 70 cars today (Ring Road Honda,Moti Nagar,Delhi) out of which about 55 were City and the rest were Amaze/Brio , so the place was as crowded as Maruti's stalls in autoexpo's and it was all chaotic and mismanaged and obviously many people were loosing their minds from time to time and there were constant verbal fights between the Honda guys and the customers , i reached the place at about 5.30 and after waiting for more than 6 hours my delivery experience got completely ruined and was in no mood to get the pictures clicked or anything.
The reason for this slow delivery process was their warehouse which was located about 10kms from the showroom and there were 5 drivers on duty who brought the cars to the dealership.

Having said this there are four things that i noticed today :-
1-The i-vtec version and the i-dtec versions were surprisingly sold in about the same numbers and the ratio was 50-50.
2-Michelin tyres came in all the variants in both the versions and it just depends on your luck , there was a silver SV diesel car which came with michelin but mine (same variant , same color) came with goodyears!
3-Engine refinement is a huge improvement over the test drive vehicles and the car is very refined till about 2500 rpm (like ravenavi pointed out) , noise levels at those rpms were lower than my Cruze!
4-Although it seems on paper that the SV variant comes with 4 speakers and no tweeters , so its naturally assumed that the speakers would be the same as V and VX variants but the tweeters are missing but sadly that's not the case.The speakers that come with the SV variant are downright pathetic and are even worse than my 2010 i20's OEM speakers! Upgrade was on the cards anyways but it'll happen much sooner now , these speakers are amongst the worst speakers i've ever heard. (was playing itunes m4a files via my ipod which was connected with the USB cable)

Planning to upgrade the tyres to 205/50 R16 Yokohama S Drives riding on 16 inch HRS alloys.

Pictures i clicked at the dealership (Sorry for the low quality pictures,will post pictures of the car soon)

The Delivery Area/Front Parking

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_2996.jpg

The Customer Lounge

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_2997_filtered.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankan_g (Post 3402511)

I discussed on the same topic elsewhere as well. The reason for the higher pressure for the front tyres is due to the additional weight of the Engine on the front tyres. The pressures quoted seem ideal for city driving, you could increase it by 1-2 psi for highway driving.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adarsh76 (Post 3402704)

The 185/60 R15 is NOT recommended since it results in reduced Ground Clearance. This has been discussed in detail on another thread related to Tyre Upgrade for 4G City @URL by Vid6639. I have upgraded to XM2 @195/60R15 and I am getting around 17kmpl on average in city driving with AC On.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocketscience (Post 3402823)
Just received my car (Yes it got delivered at 12am! :Frustrati) , the dealership had to deliver 70 cars today

Congrats on the car! Wishing you many miles of happy and safe driving clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocketscience (Post 3402823)
Planning to upgrade the tyres to 205/50 R16 Yokohama S Drives riding on 16inch HRS alloys.

Wow! That is a big leap. You could also consider the Primacy 3ST from Michelin. Do update us once you are done with the tyre upgrade. Oh! I saw that you ended up with GoodYears - those don't yield a good resale value!