Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2014, 12:44   #46

Re: Hyundai Xcent : Official Review

Great review as usual, something which I assume was being eagerly waited upon by the community.
On a personal note, I went ahead and bought the Honda amaze (it completed a month yesterday), knowing full well that the Xcent was around the corner.
I had gone to the Hyundai showroom and took a TD of both the i20 as well as the Grand i10.

No doubts about the fact that the feature list and interior ambience were top notch, but personally, the one thing I really looked forward to in my new car was missing, the "fun" of driving.
Still, I sat down with the wife and made up a list of pro's and cons, knowing most of the feature list that would carry on to the Xcent.
ost of the Xcent features were stuff I could live without, and some which I will never need.
Keyless entry - Its ok to have it, but seriously how long does it take to press a single button and open the car doors?
Push Start - I don't like it. More of a purist I suppose, and I like the feeling of turning the key to start the engine anyways.
Rear-Aircon - don't need it. Rarely people are going to be sitting behind in my car, and the Amaze AC is really powerful and also really good.
Keyless Boot open - I would love to have that feature in the Amaze, but sadly, Honda in its infinite wisdom, skimped on it.
MID with 1gb internal storage - Nope. Have plenty of pen drives and a dedicated music player. Plus its always easier to transfer music to a USB from the computer.

Off the top of my head, this is all that comes to my mind. Long story short, we decided on the Amaze and I am happy with my decision. In fact just took a TD of the Xcent with a prospective buyer (my friend) last week and was really happy that I did not feel a pang of jealousy.
Old 11th April 2014, 14:55   #47
BHPian

Brilliant review. I read a lot of video and text reviews but could not form an opinion and waited until this.
This vehicle looks killer inside out and has that fresh appeal miising in swift dzire and honda amaze(both of whom have a past baggage of old predecessors).

I look forward to visiting a showroom on sunday and take a TD.
Old 11th April 2014, 15:30   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Thanks, Parrys. Nice review

Would have been nice if:
1. Difference in rear door was explained with a comparison pic
2. Back-to Back pic with the DZire is better taken from the centre, so that both cars can be compared.
3. Back-to-back pics are better in similar colors - again, for better / easier comparison. (not same color, not contrasting colors).
1. Look at the quarter glass of the Grand & Xcent. The Xcent is more triangular.

2. There was another car behind, so would have looked a bit odd to have a different colour in the gap.

3. You never know what colour competitor car you would find in the middle of nowhere.
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 16:00   #49
BHPian

Excellent review Parrys. This makes me think if i should change my car :-)
Old 11th April 2014, 16:27   #50
Senior - BHPian

EXCELLENT REVIEW. The Xcent looks SUPERBLY proportionate even though its <4M, and they've even managed to carve out 407L of bootspace! Maruti's designers could take a hike!

I like how they've toned down the Fluidic design, it wouldn't have suited such a short car IMO. Being able to provide good under-thigh support for such a short car is really important. The rear-seat inclination looks quite good, any clue about the angle?

Its a 4-only car IMO, someone looking to fit 5 adults can look at Manza instead.

Nice heads-up reminding people to centrally lock the car before driving away with luggage/laptop in the trunk.

Hyundai has managed a VERY well featured car. They've taken care of the smallest of things. This shows they know how to read the consumers mind. Yet they've not excessively done-up the interiors.

They've controlled costs where they could, like the front seat's integrated neck restraints are a cost-cutting measure. They not only lack the usability of the height adjustable variety, but also that the hear rests are meant to enable you to break the glass is necessary in an emergency.

Quote:
...Relative to the Dzire, the Xcent diesel loses 1 cylinder, 3 BHP of power and 10 Nm of torque...
Maruti now has VERY stiff competition after having remained king since the past 5 years!

Quote:
...The 2,000 rpm punch that you get in some other diesel sedans is missing....
The abrupt surge at 2000RPM in the Swift is the way that the 1.3mjd is tuned by Maruti.

Quote:
...100 kph is seen at ~2,400 rpm in 5th gear, while 80 kph has the needle hovering just under 2,000 rpm...
I didn't quite get this part, my Linea MJD too does 80kmph at 2000RPM, 100kmph at 2400RPM & 120kmph at 2800RPM.

As I still go back and forth to the review typing my POV, I'd applaud Hyundai's effort not to have overdone things and yet given attention to detail. I now seriously respect this brand for their insight into what the Indian consumer wants.

Something I noticed was that the headlights pulled back are quite the fad among designers. The Kia Cee'd has had it since 2012, the new Fiat Avventura has them and so does the Hyundai Xcent !

N.B. : Guys, you'll have to PLEASE STOP mentioning in the reviews that TATA A.S.S. is inconsistent. If you see the ownership threads, its clear how happy people are with the service. Also, AFAIK Manza is ~ 7.5 - 9L now. I guess even other cars' prices would've increased since their respective reviews.

Quote:
Manza :
What you'll like:
• Extremely neutral family sedan. Well rounded 6 - 7 lakh rupee car
• Fuel-efficient 1.3 diesel engine. Nice gearbox too
• Unreal back seat comfort. Interior space comparable to two segments higher
• Excellent ride quality. Acceptable handling
• Build quality, fit and finish are way improved. No longer a major turnoff
• Respectable level of equipment and safety kit

What you won't:
• Niggles & problems as reported by Manza owners
• Interior fit & finish still have room for improvement. Below average in some areas
• Lack of outright performance from either engine
• Inconsistent after-sales network
Also, I'd rather not be told beforehand what I'll like and what I won't. Those sections of reviews get used when they're out-dated and also people must decide for themselves whether they like something or not.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 11th April 2014 at 16:28.
Old 11th April 2014, 18:24   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
1. Look at the quarter glass of the Grand & Xcent. The Xcent is more triangular.

2. There was another car behind, so would have looked a bit odd to have a different colour in the gap.

3. You never know what colour competitor car you would find in the middle of nowhere.
TBHP reviews go the extra step to overcome such things
Old 11th April 2014, 21:11   #52
BHPian

Nice review!. Now it is a tough competition in sub-4 meter sedans, let’s wait for the next month sale statistics to distinguish whose figures goes down.
Old 11th April 2014, 22:58   #53
BHPian

Tail light cluster looks similar to the one on Citroen DS3.

XCent :
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-hyundaixcent18.jpg

DS3:
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-citroends3cabrio2reartracking_0.jpg
rajathv8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 23:32   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
Tail light cluster looks similar to the one on Citroen DS3.

XCent :
Attachment 1229128

DS3:
Attachment 1229127
Good catch!

Headlight looks similar to the ones on Kia Cee'd & Avventura.

Xcent :
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-hyundaixcent05.jpg

2012 Kia Cee'd :
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-kia_ceed_1.6_crdi.jpg

2014 Fiat Avventura :
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-avventura.jpg
( Sry if this one comes out abit small )
Old 11th April 2014, 23:35   #55
BHPian

Guys, I need urgent input. I was suppose to get the car on Sunday, it has reached the dealer stockyard today. Now, dealer is telling me that the car can't be delivered as RTO in Delhi NCR has not provided them some 4 digit code for Xcent, as a result they are not able to get it registered. They even don't have the TD car yet, they are giving the same reason for it. Anyone in Delhi facing the similar issue.
Old 11th April 2014, 23:59   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raviacc2825 View Post
Guys, I need urgent input. I was suppose to get the car on Sunday, it has reached the dealer stockyard today. Now, dealer is telling me that the car can't be delivered as RTO in Delhi NCR has not provided them some 4 digit code for Xcent, as a result they are not able to get it registered. They even don't have the TD car yet, they are giving the same reason for it. Anyone in Delhi facing the similar issue.
I think the dealer is not giving you the correct information. The RTO offices of Delhi has all the details required to register an Xcent. Hyundai Motor Plaza has two cars for Test Drive and both are registered in New Delhi.

He may be talking about the registration number and high security number plate. Delhi has been witnessing holidays for the last few days because of polls. May be the dealer will get your car registered on 15 April 2014 once the transport authority opens.
Old 12th April 2014, 00:10   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
I think the dealer is not giving you the correct information. The RTO offices of Delhi has all the details required to register an Xcent. Hyundai Motor Plaza has two cars for Test Drive and both are registered in New Delhi.

He may be talking about the registration number and high security number plate. Delhi has been witnessing holidays for the last few days because of polls. May be the dealer will get your car registered on 15 April 2014 once the transport authority opens.

Thanks for the input, even I took the test drive at Himgiri motors and their TD vehicle was also Delhi registered. When I confronted the dealer with this, he said this is not possible, they must be giving the TD on the temp number which is issued to move vehicle from stockyard to showroom.

I was in hurry so couldn't discuss it further, will go the Sunrise Hyundai (my dealer) tomorrow to get more information.
Old 12th April 2014, 06:48   #58

Quick question regarding the tires

"175/60 R15 rubber on 8 spoke rims. Hyundai calls this finish the 'diamond cut'. These are available only with the SX (O) variant. Lesser trims get 14" alloys running on thin 165/65 R14 patch rubber"

1. Do the other variants have Bridgestone rubbers on them as well?
2. Does anyone have a picture of the silver alloys which comes with the S (Option)?

I am planning to upgrade my booking from S to S Option and would really like to know about this.
Old 12th April 2014, 13:45   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abubakkarmy View Post
Quick question regarding the tires

"Does anyone have a picture of the silver alloys which comes with the S (Option)?

I am planning to upgrade my booking from S to S Option and would really like to know about this.
Here is the picture as desired by you.

Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_0467.jpg
mints21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2014, 16:40   #60

Thank you mints21.

I had called up the dealer to confirm which rubbers are on the S Option model and was informed that it depends on the batches which are manufactured. Some lots have Apollos and some have bridgestones according to him.

Not sure if this is true and if yes why there is such a difference.

From what reviews I've heard the bridgestones are better than the Apollos.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks