Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2014, 15:10   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Xcent : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
If you compare the official review of Grand i10 and Xcent, there are a lots of things common. For example, in the Grand review interior fit and finishing is compared to the Swift (phrases like "The Swift no way comes close") whereas in the xcent review the Swift word is replaced by DZire ("The DZire no way comes close"). Lots of text is common in both the reviews. And it actually should be, since Xcent is nothing but Grand Sedan.

So benefit of doubt to the thread starter - must have taken the Grand i10 pic for reference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Hey zenren, good eye there!!

Like DCEite mentioned, since many parts of the 2 cars are identical, a few pictures from the Grand i10 were used.

I've corrected the stalk picture to the one from the Xcent.

cya
R
I assumed as much, but just pointed it out so that the correction can be made.

For such an error to come out of the assembly line, at least a dozen departments including QC should miss this which is very unlikely in any professional environment. If some company did make such a mistake, I would not buy any of their products in the near future since it speaks about their quality checks

That doesn't mean it is impossible to happen though. A screw up from the parts supplier can easily lead to this if it goes unnoticed. I've got two right wiper blades in a set (MGP) recently instead of a left and a right. I had a tough time explaining it to the guy in MGP outlet that they need to be different. These guys in the counter were claiming that both are always identical!

Last edited by zenren : 15th April 2014 at 15:19.
Old 15th April 2014, 15:29   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
For such an error to come out of the assembly line, at least a dozen departments including QC should miss this which is very unlikely in any professional environment. If some company did make such a mistake, I would not buy any of their products in the near future since it speaks about their quality checks
Hypothetical discussion : but it could also be cheaper for a company to just use the same part (with a dummy switch / disconnected switch), rather than customize stalks for different variants.

However, Hyundai's is clearly on top of their game when it comes to interiors, and they don't practice this.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 15:49   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Hypothetical discussion : but it could also be cheaper for a company to just use the same part (with a dummy switch / disconnected switch), rather than customize stalks for different variants.
Depends on the volume of car sales that is expected. If each type is needed in volumes that independently meets the criteria for mass production, it wouldn't make much difference whether they use separate parts. Swift and Dzire is the classic example. Each is selling 15k+ each month and it is just a question of whether to make 30k copies of 1 part or 15k copies each of two parts. I doubt there would be any considerable difference.

However, for models like Punto and Linea which together barely sells enough numbers to be called mass production, having two different parts might prove to be an overhead since their requirement each month might be less than the minimum order that they can place with the supplier.

Coming to this specific instance, the stalk without the rear wiper switch would be produced at least 3-4 times more than the stalk with rear wiper switch since all variants of Xcent and lower variants of Grand need it. Only the higher variants of Grand need rear wiper switch and they are likely to charge those variants/customers a slight premium for not getting the parts sharing advantage. BTW, per unit production cost of the stalk with rear wiper switch would be marginally higher and it wouldn't make sense to manufacture that in bulk even for lower variants when only a small fraction would be used and others would be dummy.
Old 15th April 2014, 16:12   #94
BHPian

So many cars in close segments means Hyundai is willing to retain any middle-class customer walking into its showrooms at any cost. Honda and Toyota are also following the same staregy in India. What I miss is the Japanese and Korean majors reluctance to retain a premium sedan for the Indian market, which leaves upwardly mobile Indians with only the German trio if they want to look for a premium sedan. But for someone like me who has more faith in the Japs and the Koreans when it comes to reliability on Indian roads, it leaves little choice. I miss the Civic and the Accord!
Old 16th April 2014, 17:02   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Xcent gets 11,000 bookings since launch.

@ KPS: Good catch! Conversely, VW started pasting 'volkswagen' badges on the rear of its cars (a while after introduction) for brand recognition.
Another interesting fact:

Quote:
Interestingly consumers, who a few months ago were lining up to drive home diesel variants, have shown an increased preference for petrol options of the XCent. Around 52 per cent of the bookings have been made for the petrol-powered option, the rest being for the diesel-driven XCent. The waiting period on the model, depending on the variant, now stands up to two months.
Source:

http://www.business-standard.com/art...1400580_1.html

Last edited by DCEite : 16th April 2014 at 17:06.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 00:30   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
Tail light cluster looks similar to the one on Citroen DS3.

Also, both cars have a thick body side molding.

XCent :
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-hyundaixcent06.jpg

DS3:
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-citroen_ds3_side.jpg
Old 17th April 2014, 01:03   #97
BHPian

The tail lamps of the xcent looks quite a lot like a miniature version of the outgoing honda city.
Old 17th April 2014, 14:32   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
@ KPS: Good catch! Conversely, VW started pasting 'volkswagen' badges on the rear of its cars (a while after introduction) for brand recognition.
GTO, Sorry to post this here - Why is MSIL still using 'Maruti Suzuki' Badges on the rear? They are well established in India!
Old 17th April 2014, 15:33   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
GTO, Sorry to post this here - Why is MSIL still using 'Maruti Suzuki' Badges on the rear? They are well established in India!
I think every company has its own reason to justify its action. But I agree with GTO in that Volswagen had started pasting "VOLKSWAGEN" badges in its rear after some time of its introduction in India, clearly for brand recognition. As far as I know, Volkswagen does not paste the badge in Europe and US (only the VW logo is there). But Volswagen realised after some time of its launch in India that the VW brand has poor brand recognition in India. That's why they started pasting the "VOLKSWAGEN" badge on the rear of its cars in India for brand recognition.
Old 24th April 2014, 17:07   #100

Considering booking XCent. Nice review and comments, which answered most of my queries. Would like to know whether the reverse parking sensor that comes with S variant does show distance or just a beep beep sound? If I want to add parking camera, can it be integrated to the sensor? And, considering Delhi traffic, is it suggestible to go for dual horn?
Old 26th April 2014, 15:24   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
I think these are the alloys, which you get on a S(option)..
I think that's SX model. Notice chrome plated door handles. Only available in SX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intellighora View Post
Considering booking XCent. Nice review and comments, which answered most of my queries. Would like to know whether the reverse parking sensor that comes with S variant does show distance or just a beep beep sound? If I want to add parking camera, can it be integrated to the sensor? And, considering Delhi traffic, is it suggestible to go for dual horn?
I think its just beep beep sound one. Because the electrochromic mirror is not in S, its just a normal day/night RVM.

You can add an aftermarket electrochromic mirror from Autocop, that will show you the graphical representation of distance (not the actual camera image though).

As for the horn - yes its advisable. But better change it at dealer itself - don't go for aftermarket horns.

P.S. Me too booked S model petrol, awaiting delivery by end of next week

Last edited by DCEite : 26th April 2014 at 15:27.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 19:06   #102

Quote:
I think that's SX model. Notice chrome plated door handles. Only available in SX.

P.S. Me too booked S model petrol, awaiting delivery by end of next week
Thank you for pointing that out. I guess I will have to wait till next week and find out when I see the car myself

I booked the S Option and Expected Delivery date is 7th May.

Congratulations. Hope I get to see your ownership thread soon
Old 26th April 2014, 20:31   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abubakkarmy View Post
Thank you for pointing that out. I guess I will have to wait till next week and find out when I see the car myself

I booked the S Option and Expected Delivery date is 7th May.

Congratulations. Hope I get to see your ownership thread soon
I was told by an SA that the alloys will be same on S option and SX.
Old 26th April 2014, 22:47   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
I was told by an SA that the alloys will be same on S option and SX.
Thats wrong...

S(O) has "Silver Cut" 14 inch alloys.
SX has Diamond cut (what you seen in this review) 15 inch alloys.
Old 26th April 2014, 22:59   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats wrong...

S(O) has "Silver Cut" 14 inch alloys.
SX has Diamond cut (what you seen in this review) 15 inch alloys.
As per the price list provided by Hyundai S (O) and SX are having 14" Clear Alloys and only SX (Option) is having 15" Diamond cut alloys. Even i have booked a S(O), which will come with Clear Alloys. Have a look here..
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-xcent-pricellist.jpg  

agspins is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks