Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2014, 15:56   #241
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Xcent : Official Review

Hi all; in the spirit of this thread, I invite you to take a look at my initial ownership thread for the Xcent SX(O) Petrol:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3455955

A word on FE - your guys' (city) FE seems to be significantly better than mine, even though I have been driving under run-in conditions and limits. Do you guys not use engine braking or something??
Old 22nd August 2014, 11:19   #242
Senior - BHPian

I am falling in love with my xcent except for one major annoyance. I hear and feel a rattle from the front wheel/suspension when going over slightly rough roads. I don't hear it on smooth bumps. I have given it to Hyundai twice and their response has been disappointing. They simply keep denying there is a noise. Since most roads in the city are a bit rough I feel like I am driving an old car. This has totally killed the 'driving a new car' experience.
Giving it back to Hyundai for the first official service check at 1000 km. Hope they can figure it out.
Old 23rd August 2014, 05:42   #243
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
I am falling in love with my xcent except for one major annoyance. I hear and feel a rattle from the front wheel/suspension when going over slightly rough roads. I don't hear it on smooth bumps. I have given it to Hyundai twice and their response has been disappointing. They simply keep denying there is a noise. Since most roads in the city are a bit rough I feel like I am driving an old car. This has totally killed the 'driving a new car' experience.
Giving it back to Hyundai for the first official service check at 1000 km. Hope they can figure it out.
Did you check the infamous Hyundai steering rattle thread? Although the issue was reported mainly with old generation i10/ i20 and not the Grand i10/ Xcent, please check if the symptoms match.
Old 24th August 2014, 21:47   #244
BHPian

Xcent seems to be the best value for money with class leading interiors and decent performance. Auto gear adds great comfort for people looking at stress free city driving.

Infact, I introduced this thread and various other ownership threads to my cousin on Xcent which helped him shortlist the Xcent.

One question to all the Xcent owners.
My cousin bought his car few months back(petrol AT) and he complained of slight wobble / unstable / floating feeling in cross winds while cruising at 100+ speed on the open highways.

His car came with bridgestones.
What could be the reason? Is this normal. He used to drive a wagon R earlier and says he never had such feeling earlier on the same route.
Old 24th August 2014, 23:41   #245
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunu View Post
My cousin bought his car few months back(petrol AT) and he complained of slight wobble / unstable / floating feeling in cross winds while cruising at 100+ speed on the open highways.
Very difficult to judge an issue online, however, I would recommend you to start checking the tyres first. 1. Get proper air pressure. 2. Balancing and alignment and 3. Check the tyre for any manufacturing defects while getting it removed for the above.

Xcent is nowhere as stable as say - a FIAT Punto, however, it handles way better than a WagonR (I had one for 8 years!).
Old 25th August 2014, 12:51   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Very difficult to judge an issue online, ...
Thanks C_D,

All the basic checks have been done like tyres / air pressure / balancing and alignment / side wall cracks or bulges on tyres / ill fitted or wrong size (remote possibility but still checked) and all is well with the tyres.

Anything to do with the design or aerodynamics? because, till the speed of 100 kms its very stable, but beyond 110+ it feels very light and floaty OR may be its just his illusion due to light controls and light steering.
Old 25th August 2014, 12:55   #247
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunu View Post
Anything to do with the design or aerodynamics?
Unfortunately, I am not the right person to comment on this. My Xcent has been confined to Kerala (south specially) roads where the speeds limits are on the lower side. Plus - we do not have an expressway to boast of, where 100 plus speeds can be achieved.

Hope others can chip in with their experience.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 12:32   #248
BHPian

I myself have not felt a wobbling in the steering at 100+ speeds up to about 140. Even then, the steering and suspension feel solid. It is the light steering that contributes to the wobble/floating feel.
This is from my experiences on the Bangalore airport expressway which is a very smooth road...bumpier highways can of course cause wobbly steering.
The Bridgestone B250s / Apollo tyres that come stock on the Xcent are nowhere the best tyres for high speed grip also. Tyres do make a big difference. I believe someone on this thread has outfitted S Drives on his Xcent...we'll need to get a hi speed review from him. :-D
That all being said, the Xcent is not meant to be a tarmac scorcher, so some level of instability is expected at high speeds.

Last edited by vezj420 : 29th August 2014 at 12:37.
Old 29th August 2014, 16:50   #249
BHPian

I have never experienced any woggle in the steering. Its as good as it should be at 100 or 120 speeds.

The car holds speeds well and I have had no issues with steering.

Cheers
Old 13th September 2014, 07:25   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Is there an ECO mode on the manual versions?

I do not remember seeing it in the showroom, nor its there in the our official review - hence the question.

Attachment 1261304
There isn't an ECO mode as such, but if your question is on the photo and the ECO showing in the photo (assuming that was a stock photo that you picked from the website), that comes on in my AT when you treat your accelerator with respect to show that you are driving sensibly to get mileage. Not sure how valuable or accurate that is though.
Old 13th September 2014, 19:09   #251
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananth_iy View Post
There isn't an ECO mode as such, but if your question is on the photo and the ECO showing in the photo (assuming that was a stock photo that you picked from the website), that comes on in my AT when you treat your accelerator with respect to show that you are driving sensibly to get mileage. Not sure how valuable or accurate that is though.
I guess it qualifies as a mode because you can turn it off using the MID, and when turned on - it tries to save fuel by upshifting early.

From the initial feel - i guess the mode is purely judging the accelerator inputs from the driver, anything more than half throttle will cause the ECU to switch off the ECO mode. I did find the car holding slightly higher rpms once the mode is off.

However, this is only based on the impression i got from driving the car for a few days. So please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

PS - The photo was clicked from my Xcent SX(o) AT for the ownership report here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...automatic.html

Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_0992d_800.jpg

Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_0995_800.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 13th September 2014 at 19:10.
Old 14th September 2014, 13:22   #252
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I guess it qualifies as a mode because you can turn it off using the MID, and when turned on - it tries to save fuel by upshifting early.

From the initial feel - i guess the mode is purely judging the accelerator inputs from the driver, anything more than half throttle will cause the ECU to switch off the ECO mode. I did find the car holding slightly higher rpms once the mode is off.
C_D, I think that's not the way it works.

The ECO mode basically tells you if you are driving economically. So the light is on if you are light on the throttle or if you'r foot is off the gas. When you press the gas pedal more than the preset value, the ECO light will go off.

Car like the Honda City have a green glow around the speedometer when you are driving efficiently.

Basically you can set ECO mode if you want the car to tell you when you are driving efficiently.

In ECO mode it will not alter the gearshifts, it's only you pressing the pedal lightly causing it to upshift earlier.
Old 14th September 2014, 13:30   #253
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

The ECO mode basically tells you if you are driving economically. So the light is on if you are light on the throttle or if you'r foot is off the gas. When you press the gas pedal more than the preset value, the ECO light will go off.

Car like the Honda City have a green glow around the speedometer when you are driving efficiently.

Basically you can set ECO mode if you want the car to tell you when you are driving efficiently.

In ECO mode it will not alter the gearshifts, it's only you pressing the pedal lightly causing it to upshift earlier.

Thanks Vidyut.

As you know - I have used the car only for a few days and the impressions I had was based on the initial 500 kms of driving.

But yes- what you are saying makes sense. Thanks. Back in kerala for this week. Will try to cross check and confirm.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 23:23   #254
Team-BHP Support

Xcent diesel AT in the making? Or just a typo error?

Noticed this while I was searching the owner's manual for more details about the ECO mode. 99% this should be a typo error, but anyways -

Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_1054.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

The ECO mode basically tells you if you are driving economically.
Yes. You are absolutely right and I stand corrected.
Old 16th September 2014, 14:34   #255
BHPian

Regarding Speed Sensing Auto Lock

Hi All,

I was at the Advaith Hyundai showroom on Outer Ring Road, Bangalore the other day for a test drive of the Xcent AT SX(O). While speaking to the Sales representative there, she pointed out to me that the Speed Sensing Auto Lock has been discontinued on all Hyundai models going forward.

I am not sure to what extent this is true or whether it is being used as a way to convince customers querying about the car's specifics. I would like to know if anyone on this forum has got the same feedback from the dealers. Please advice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks