Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2014, 22:43   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Xcent : Official Review

Just came back from Short Weekend Trip of 450 Kms with 50% driving in Ghats. Car performed brilliantly returning average 19-20 Kmpl (Approx) with full time AC, with 4 person and a boot full of luggage. Although bit low on power, but never really felt so.

Last edited by agspins : 6th July 2014 at 22:44.
agspins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 09:26   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Just came back from Short Weekend Trip of 450 Kms with 50% driving in Ghats. Car performed brilliantly returning average 19-20 Kmpl (Approx) with full time AC, with 4 person and a boot full of luggage. Although bit low on power, but never really felt so.
Do you have petrol or diesel? And did you notice the RFID tag?
Old 7th July 2014, 10:08   #228
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I just noticed an RFID tag on my xcent. Anyone has clue what is it and why its there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfire2892 View Post
Authorities can use it as a vehicle identifier by scanning the tag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Can we get more info on this. Tried Google but didn't get any detailed information.
That RFID tag is there on most cars these days. It's purpose is to track the movement of the vehicle within the plant and during transport till it reaches the dealer. Basically inventory management to keep track of where the vehicles are.

You can remove it after delivery since there's no use for it. There will be a small warning that says if removed, the tag will not be functional or may get damaged.

It is not used by dealerships but maybe later on dealerships may start using it for making job orders.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 13:54   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Do you have petrol or diesel? And did you notice the RFID tag?
Mine is Diesel. I noticed the RFID on the PDI itself, assumed it to be used for tracking purposes.
Old 10th July 2014, 21:09   #230
Senior - BHPian

Accent se Xcent tak… My 2014 Hyundai Xcent S (O) CRDI

The story started in 2008, when we bought pre-owned 05 Accent Viva CRDI (First and last pre owned car we bought), after lots of Maruti’s, Mahindra’s and Ambassador’s (Dad’s Official ones).

Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-20130623_162035-1024x768.jpg

No doubt car was good, but after initial months of ownership the car started giving troubles that any used car gives. Still was happy with the car, kept going. One fine day in 2009, a trip to Haridwar went bad with engine giving all sorts of troubles (Overheating etc etc). Somehow car was driven back to Delhi, checkup showed a bad picture (Initial signs of engine overhaul), went ahead did that. Tried selling the car but resale was too low, only thing on my mind then was getting rid of her. In the meantime we shifted to Nagpur, decided to keep the car for a while (which was altogether a wrong decision). As soon as the car landed in Nagpur, engine went kaput (with turbo failure being complimentary) within a month. Overhauled the engine, had no other choice. Spent a lot to get the car back on the road. Everything was good; I too started enjoying the car (again). Things kept moving smoothly except for quarterly visit to Garage for something or other. Then came September/ October of 2011, my Dad was hospitalized (3 weeks in ICU) and car became my second home for almost 3 weeks, as I had to sleep outside the hospital every night. I lost my Dad and after that for almost a year I wasn't able to service the car, even then she ran trouble free. Somehow liking for the car grew stronger. I did a suspension and C arm overhaul in Feb 2013. The car was doing just great for me and I was making my mind to use her for another couple of years. But then this crash happened http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/assemb...ml#post3055450 (Accidents in India - PICS) and pains after that to get the car repaired, that was the end. Got the car repaired and started looking for options. On other hand from day one when I landed in Nagpur another story was running in background. I was doing everything i could to get the car transferred to Nagpur (She was DL registered). Corrupt and inefficient RTO guys had all the reasons/excuses for not passing the car, even after paying the full tax (Almost 50K). All these events were taking their toll on me; I had only one thing on my mind to get rid of her (despite of liking her so much). Finally a day (Mid of October 2013) came and I sold her to someone who took care of everything and got the car transferred to his name after a lengthy and tiresome RTO procedure.
Now I was a free bird to choose my next set of wheels. I had already shortlisted few cars.
Alternatives
1. Suzuki Ritz: Always liked the car for its punchy DDIS engine, practicality over swift and loved those quirky looks. Only things going against it were Price and equipment levels offered on Vdi (Abs) and Zdi.
2. Ford Ecosport: Amazing Styling, Loads of features, Mini Suv-ish feel. Things against it were the same as discussed here on TBHP, Unending Waiting periods, unfair price rises by Ford, Dealers taking undue advantage and lack of space inside the car (only factor directly related to vehicle).
3. Hyundai I20: For its looks, Space, comfort and features. But then there was new upcoming new model.
4. Honda Amaze: Loved the Space, Reliability and assurance of Honda, engine performance. Things against it were too many: Basic dash layout, lack of features, built to price and noisy engine.

Had almost finalized Ritz ZDI with negotiations for price and discounts done, but then decided to wait till Auto expo. Hyundai unveiled Xcent and Tata unveiled Bolt, these two cars again started playing with me. Bolt’s launch was still away and Xcent’s diesel engine option was not revealed yet, with probability of HMIL plonking 1.1 CRDI engine. I had the bitter experience of 3 pot CRDI unit in my Viva, which made me skeptical.I cancelled Ritz and set my eyes on Amaze S. I wanted a mid variant which would have at least ABS if not Airbags, was never interested in factory alloys and OE ICE. Xcent was still away from showrooms, so shortlisted Amaze S and decided to wait for Xcent to just have a look at it and then book the Amaze. Was confident that Xcent’s 1.1 unit would be a weak unit and that would show up in the performance. Finally Xcent was launched and in a weeks’ time cars were up for display.I went to check out the car and took a test drive on one Saturday of March. Though the car was not a performer as Amaze, but overall it scored way above Amaze.
Buying Experience
Impressed with the car, decided to take the leap of faith and booked the CRDi S (O) model with a leading dealer(Ketan Hyundai) in Nagpur. I was told that I would get my car by either last week of April or first week of May. But then as last week approached, SA started giving me excuses like the VIN has not been allotted to you by HMIL and usual stuff, he also tried to convince me to buy a Grand i10 (annoyed with all this, but remained calm).As first week of May approached there were no signs of car, decided to check out other dealer(Eros Hyundai). After a few calls here and there, I was told by Eros that they can deliver me a SX (O) in blue colour immediately. Inspected the car, but somehow could not convince myself for the blue. So did another booking with Eros, as they promised the car as soon as they get the allotments. Meanwhile I completed all the formalities required for the Auto Loan from Central bank. I was told by SA that full payment would be required, even before the car is transported to dealership from Chennai. I too without raising any questions did the same. Also earlier booking had to be cancelled, so did that and got full refund. Total cost on road is Rs.7.58 Lacs.
Finally after a long wait car arrived in first week of June, did the PDI of car allotted. As expected car came with Apollo Amazer 3G tyres ( No Good years or Bridgestones).
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_20140605_120945-1024x768.jpg
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_20140605_120954-1024x768.jpg

Delivery
Finally on 11th June, drove down to dealership with my mother and friend to take the delivery. Did a small pooja at dealership itself before taking the car out. Overall experience of delivery was good, except a incident where they had mistakenly prepared and decorated a silver petrol Xcent for delivery. Whole process was over within 45 minutes of arriving at dealership. Throughout SA was polite and helpful.
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_20140611_120429-1024x768.jpg

Add-ons
Had already done some research and selected replacement for puny tyres and bland alloys. Only condition for exchange, tyres should not be used for more than 20 Kms. Mine had done close to 33 Kms, but the gentleman at Tyre store(Deep Tyres) kept his word and went ahead with the deal we had agreed upon. My choice was Yoko S drives 185/60 R14 with Onyx Matt black alloys.
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_20140606_185117-1024x768.jpg
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_20140611_135202-1024x768.jpg
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_20140611_125741-1024x768.jpg
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_20140611_125817-1024x768.jpg
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-dsc_0203-1024x768.jpg
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_20140615_130351-1024x768.jpg
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_20140611_145013-1024x768.jpg

Next on the list was 3M Nagpur for Nomad mats, CR70 & RE70 window tints and underbody coat (which was not really required so early). All this took almost whole day and ended up at 10.30 in night.
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_20140611_172717-1024x768.jpg
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_20140611_203119-1024x768.jpg

After a couple of days it was again time to visit 3M for paint protection and detailing and putting up a Carbon Fibre Vinyl (3M CF12) on the roof.
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_20140615_122502-1024x768.jpg
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_20140615_123542-1024x768.jpg
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_20140615_132132-1024x768.jpg
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_20140615_152747-1024x768.jpg
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_20140615_165037-1024x768.jpg
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_20140615_184508-1024x768.jpg

Up next Seat covers which were ordered from Top Gear covers through their local dealer even before the car was delivered. The seat covers were slightly customized to my liking and OE fit. Also upgraded the stock lights to Osram Night breakers Unlimited.
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_20140706_130821-1024x768.jpg
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_20140706_130552-1024x768.jpg
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_20140706_130747-1024x768.jpg

Last on the list was ICE upgrade, decided to for just the speakers, Amp and a Sub. Had shortlisted some combinations, with valuable inputs from BHPian DerAlte finalized on Infinity Kappa setup with JBL amp. Sounds great, but will have to upgrade the HU in near future. After sourcing the stuff finally got it installed few days back, just before a short weekend trip with colleagues.
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_20140704_155005-1024x768.jpg
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_20140704_163822-1024x768.jpg
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_20140704_165018-1024x768.jpg
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_20140704_163851-1024x768.jpg

After driving the car in ghats and plains for almost 450 kms with full time A.c and 4 adults, there were no signs of fatigue in cars performance. Although there were no risky overtaking maneuvers involved, but still car was never felt out of power. But I would say that the car is bit low on power, not really for spirited driving. The mileage I got from the trip was almost 19-20 Kmpl (Approx). Next on the list are Door visors, Scuff Plates and mud flaps, which are currently not available around.
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-dsc_0009-1024x768.jpg
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-dsc_0115-1024x768.jpg

Experience so far:

The car has completed 1000+ Kms since delivery with two outings (first being 100 kms and Other being 450 Kms). Current usage is pretty low, almost 100 Kms a week.
The power available on the car is good for city driving and sedate highway driving. Comfort is great on the car, after long drives one remains fatigue free. Handling is pretty good, if we compare it to earlier Hyundai's. Brakes are good and with ABS things get better. The ride and handling is good, since most of the driving has been on the well paved roads in Maharashtra and M.P( surprisingly). Upsizing has helped in improving handling, but ride has become bit harsh, though not an issue.
Fuel efficiency has been great at around 18 Kmpl (City/Highway mix).

Engine & Gearbox Gear box on the car is nice and smooth. Shuffling the gears is easy smooth and best part is the light clutch. Engine is small unit producing 71 horses which translates into great fuel efficiency and low power. If not compared to Dzire and Amaze, the engine is a nice little power unit. Though i m yet to get used to Reverse gear.

Exterior Exterior of the car are pleasing. Car looks sweet from angles except the rear , which i would say is kinda okay. Size of the car is just great for city driving and parking. Folding ORVM's are just great and convenient, wish they had put on option of auto folding/unfolding in S(o) model.

Interiors Interiors are just great for its price and class. Much better than plain vanilla Amaze and Average Dzire. Dashboard is well laid and illuminated. Seats are great and comfortable. Controls are well laid and steering is chunky. Except few things like the volume control switches are placed on the left side of steering for easy thumb operation and volume control on the HU is placed on right side, which places them side by side. One more thing is if you hold the steering in 9 & 3 position, there is constant chance of changing the track or Mode (Media) while taking a turn or while negotiating traffic. A.c is just great or is it CR70 film on windscreen?, haven't been able to A.c with fan speed above 3. Cooling is good and 5 mins is enough to cool the car.

1. Nice overall design for a Compact sedan.
2. Loads of Features and gimmicks.
3. Fuel Efficency
4. Great Interiors
5. Price

Dislikes
1. Comparatively Weak Engine
2. No dead Pedal
3. Weak (Stock) Headlamps
4. Weak Horn

In the near future, might look for a option of adding a tuning box if anything is available around. Also looking for adding Autorunner/ Rogerab spring assisters, though yet to scrap the under body on a bump. But i feel there is a sure chance of that happening.
Thats it for now, will keep you guys posted.

Last edited by agspins : 24th July 2014 at 22:40.
agspins is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 22:18   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Accent se Xcent tak… My 2014 Hyundai Xcent S (O) CRDI

First of all congratulations on the purchase and wish you happy miles ahead. Black & white combo is really good at some angles.

Do you mind sharing the cost breakup (both for the car and the accessories)?
Old 10th July 2014, 23:59   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Many congratulations for the purchase and wishing you many happy miles ahead.
Really liked the tasteful mods you have done.
Can you please share the price of the ICE setup??

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 01:12   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on your new purchase. Your ride looks real mean beside the demure Swift in the last pic . The old Accent was a wonderful machine those days. My father's friend had one and I have driven it several times. The car was used and abused (many cars and many more drivers in his household) till 120k kms until it was sold off. Sorry for being nostalgic.

Wishing you many happy and trouble-free miles in your car. Drive safe.
Old 11th July 2014, 13:09   #234
BHPian

Have covered 3000kms in my SX(o) petrol and I am enjoying the drives to the core. Highway or city. Its such a joy. Light clutch, butter smooth gears. No driving fatigue at all. Installed seat covers finally.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-001.jpg  

Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-002.jpg  

motorlover is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 10:44   #235
Team-BHP Support

Is there an ECO mode on the manual versions?

I do not remember seeing it in the showroom, nor its there in the our official review - hence the question.

Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_0995_800.jpg
Old 14th July 2014, 17:52   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Is there an ECO mode on the manual versions?

I do not remember seeing it in the showroom, nor its there in the our official review - hence the question.
No there isn't any ECO mode in the manual versions, although it would have been great to have it. Also I miss the FE indicator on the odometer, which would have been quite helpful. :
Old 14th July 2014, 20:54   #237

My car had just met with an unfortunate incident when the driver was driving the car late evening during which the right orvm was sought of blown away into pieces when a nasty Honda city driver rushed from behind at a signal and zoomed off. Sadly I had to get it replaced for which the cost went upto around 5k .Is there any way of protecting the orvms especially in an awful traffic?
Old 29th July 2014, 23:48   #238
BHPian

Hi

After a wait of a couple of months collecting the delivery of our Xcent AT SX (O) model tomorrow.

It will be second car at home. Upgrade from A Star AT. Nothing more than seat covers planned as of now. That too may take some time.

More to come.

Cheers

Rajain
Old 30th July 2014, 20:41   #239

feeling the need for hand rest to for longer drives. found some after market console boxes on ebay. I feel the space around the hand break area is very less in xcent compared to other cars in the same category. Do the console boxes exactly fit the space available in Xcent without affecting the use of gear and hand break. please advise on the possibility of fitting a console box on Xcent.
Old 3rd August 2014, 10:47   #240
Senior - BHPian

Update on FE for last month on my Petrol S.

Driving composition: 100% incity (Bangalore)
AC usage: 60% (weather is getting cooler in Bangalore now)
Total kms driven: 478 kms
Total fuel consumption: 34.87 Ltrs
FE: 13.7 kmpl
Fuel: Indian oil Normal petrol
Method: Tankful to tankful.

Last edited by DCEite : 3rd August 2014 at 10:49.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks