Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2014, 21:10   #286
BHPian

@cnu

Thanks a lot for answering my queries. At any point during your search did you consider the micra CVT? We TD that as well and it was also good. Has all gizmos and safety and we are not enthusiastic drivers so CVT was not a problem. Just that we were concerned with the ASS of Nissan.
If we want to go for proper sedan then Nissan sunny is an option but I find it really weird that the facelift CVT version now only offers driver airbag while the pre-facelift version had both airbags. But yes I think that would be more than 10.5L OTR.
Old 11th November 2014, 21:20   #287
Team-BHP Support

Hyundai Xcent : Official Review

Sunny is not wide either, being based on the Micra platform. If rear seat width is a big priority- you need to look at other options like the Ciaz. The main advantage Sunny offers over the Xcent is better legroom, but Xcent already has enough and more of it.

My SX(o) gave upto 12 kmpl during sedate driving in the run-in period. Haven't checked it recently since it is used by parents.

We also considered the Micra CVT, but parents declined it because it didn't feel like a substantial upgrade from our old WagonR. Since you mentioned kid seat, let me also remind you that you would require a lot of boot space when travelling with kids. Micra doesn't provide much.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 11th November 2014 at 21:22.
Old 11th November 2014, 22:29   #288
BHPian

Hyundai Xcent : Official Review

@CD

Yes boot space will be required due to an infant in the family. We loved the Xcent (wife hasn't seen yet) and I plan to show the car in showroom to wife over the weekend. And yes legroom was good in Xcent too from what I remember.
I wonder why I don't see much Xcents on road but see lots of amazes.

PS: I have read your ownership thread of Xcent SX(O) AT and really liked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Last edited by raksrules : 11th November 2014 at 22:31.
Old 12th November 2014, 13:19   #289
cnu
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Xcent : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
At any point during your search did you consider the micra CVT?
We didn't like the looks/interiors of Micra and since ASS is an unknown area didn't wan't to take any chance with Nissan. For a while, we considered the next segment (Verna, City, Sunny, Vento) as well, but Xcent ticked all of our requirements and didn't want to spend another 3L or so extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
I wonder why I don't see much Xcents on road but see lots of amazes.
I think lot of people still go blindly for the Honda brand (I WAS one of them few years ago but not anymore). Also, Amaze was launched almost an year ago when diesels were in demand. If I am not wrong there might be more diesel Amazes out on the roads than Petrol ones. But if you see the last two months sales numbers, there are more Xcents sold than Amazes.
Old 18th November 2014, 21:39   #290
Senior - BHPian

6 months and what a satisfying experience it has been with my 1.2 S. Superb refinement, light controls, useful cubbyholes and a large boot has won many admirers for this car in my circle.

Fuel efficiency is hovering around 13 mark in city driving with intermittent a/c. Its OK for this segment suppose. If one thing I could complain it would be the horn. I hear the sound of horn getting pressed more than the horn itself. Lol.

On a side note seeing a lot more of Xcents here in NCR then I used to see in Bangalore.

Last edited by DCEite : 18th November 2014 at 21:41.
Old 24th November 2014, 15:49   #291
BHPian

Got another tank fill and it returned 456 kms and consumed 35.2 ltrs of fuel thereby and average of 12.9 kmpl. Most of the times the ACC is on.

The service was also done at Trident. The car was returned at the promised time, spick and span.

So far no issues to report and great driving feel.

Cheers
Old 26th November 2014, 16:14   #292
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
If one thing I could complain it would be the horn. I hear the sound of horn getting pressed more than the horn itself. Lol.
I felt the same initially, but after checking with the windows down, I felt the sound to be reasonable and sufficient.

Quote:
On a side note seeing a lot more of Xcents here in NCR then I used to see in Bangalore.
I see more xcents on the Bangalore roads now compared to 3 months back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
Got another tank fill and it returned 456 kms and consumed 35.2 ltrs of fuel thereby and average of 12.9 kmpl. Most of the times the ACC is on.
That's an impressive average, Rajain. Was that all in the busy city roads of Bangalore ?

Quote:
So far no issues to report and great driving feel.
Same feeling here after about one and half months with the car. Planning for a highway trip later this month before I take the car for the first service.
Old 26th November 2014, 19:12   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post

Thats more or less I get as well. Yours is petrol right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnu View Post

I see more xcents on the Bangalore roads now compared to 3 months back.

That's great to know

I hope Xcent has overtaken the Amaze petrol at least in terms of sales figures.

By the way, I just can't think of any reason why anyone would prefer Amaze petrol over the Xcent petrol.

Better refinement, more features, better build, more widespread service network, longer service intervals.. Etc.

Perhaps Honda badge has some aspirational value that makes Amaze more appealing to some people.
Old 26th November 2014, 21:28   #294
BHPian

Quote:
That's an impressive average, Rajain. Was that all in the busy city roads of Bangalore ?
I would say sometimes busy. The reason is I also get a few kms of open stretches. You can say 50/50 for busy traffic and open stretches. I have no complaints with the average.

Quote:
Thats more or less I get as well. Yours is petrol right?

That's great to know
Yes It is petrol AT. SX (O). Yes the average is good.

Quote:
I hope Xcent has overtaken the Amaze petrol at least in terms of sales figures.

By the way, I just can't think of any reason why anyone would prefer Amaze petrol over the Xcent petrol.

Better refinement, more features, better build, more widespread service network, longer service intervals.. Etc.

Perhaps Honda badge has some aspirational value that makes Amaze more appealing to some people.
I really don't compare with anything else or that I wish I would have purchased X or Y. Amaze was in reckoning briefly at the time of purchase but not really worth a second thought. Besides the dashboard the absence of features were a deal breaker. Our other vehicle is Ertiga ZDi. At 10.4 L Ertiga does not have some of the features which Xcent at 8.8L has. Key misses include reverse camera, cooled glove box, keyless entry and go, climate control, Bluetooth and several others. Of course a variety of alerts and reminders too are missing. Excent is total value for money.

Last edited by Rajain : 26th November 2014 at 21:32.
Old 30th November 2014, 21:14   #295
cnu
BHPian

Just returned from a 500km trip covering various types of roads (4/6 lane toll road, 2 lane state highways, narrow ghat of about 30km). My xcent petrol auto gave a mileage of 17.85 kmpl with speeds in the range of 80-100 kmph with AC on all the time. Time to take her for the 1st free service.

Last edited by cnu : 30th November 2014 at 21:32. Reason: typo
Old 6th December 2014, 17:02   #296
cnu
BHPian

Was looking for a rubber mat for the trunk but could not find one anywhere. Did anyone get one for their xcent ? Looking for pointers or any DIY alternatives.

Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 13:55   #297

Quote:
Was looking for a rubber mat for the trunk but could not find one anywhere. Did anyone get one for their xcent ? Looking for pointers or any DIY alternatives.

Thanks
I got my full floor mats done with showroom (2500 + 500) and they also neatly covered the trunk area with the same mat material.

I am assuming the seat cover shops should be able to quickly do one for you. Most of these also do custom floor mats.
Old 14th December 2014, 08:40   #298
BHPian

Yesterday I went for test drive of Xcent petrol. The brakes of Xcent is dangerously sharp! Slight pressure & the vehicle drops its anchors! It was annoying when sales representative claimed that it is because of ABS! I feel if one is not careful there is high chance of getting rear ended. I am truly surprised that even after so many months of launch Hyundai still has not yet fixed this brake glitch!

I also observed that it was a bit of struggle to engage 3rd gear. I later saw on internet people complaining about gear shift problem and getting stranded on road. These two things are putting me off.

I then test drove Amaze petrol. It has got progressive brakes and there was no drama. Gear shift is a bit notchy but nothing to complain. Interiors may be bland but legroom & space is quite good. Tyres too are 175 rather than weedy 165 in Xcent.

But given the price difference and features, Xcent is still a brilliant value for money. But with current ill-engineered braking, I am not hesitant. Is there any news that Hyundai is coming up with solution to braking?

Right now my wife is batting for Amaze and I am a confused. Amaze is not value for money proposition.
Your views please.

Thanks

Last edited by ms_rana : 14th December 2014 at 08:42.
Old 14th December 2014, 09:22   #299
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_rana View Post
Yesterday I went for test drive of Xcent petrol. The brakes of Xcent is dangerously sharp! Slight pressure & the vehicle drops its anchors! It was annoying when sales representative claimed that it is because of ABS! I feel if one is not careful there is high chance of getting rear ended. I am truly surprised that even after so many months of launch Hyundai still has not yet fixed this brake glitch!

I also observed that it was a bit of struggle to engage 3rd gear. I later saw on internet people complaining about gear shift problem and getting stranded on road. These two things are putting me off.

I then test drove Amaze petrol. It has got progressive brakes and there was no drama. Gear shift is a bit notchy but nothing to complain. Interiors may be bland but legroom & space is quite good. Tyres too are 175 rather than weedy 165 in Xcent.

But given the price difference and features, Xcent is still a brilliant value for money. But with current ill-engineered braking, I am not hesitant. Is there any news that Hyundai is coming up with solution to braking?

Right now my wife is batting for Amaze and I am a confused. Amaze is not value for money proposition.
Your views please.

Thanks
Brakes just take some getting used to, but are really good once you are settled. I would prefer the brakes on my Punto as they are very progressive and have a nice bite, but the Xcent has even better bite and sheds speeds so fast. I find it takes a few minutes to adjust when I switch cars (I drive our Xcent only on rare occasions when I visit hometown), but feel just at home once settled. It is being used regularly by my parents and they haven't complained either, and that too after upgrading from a WagonR with average anchors.

Tyres on the top variant are 175/60-15 spec and are adequate for the car. However, the lower versions make do with 165 section tyres. Which version is being considered?

We have an automatic at home. Hence I cannot comment on the gearshifts.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th December 2014 at 09:24.
Old 14th December 2014, 10:18   #300
BHPian

I am planning to get Xcent S(O) petrol. The short test drive of Amaze and Xcent petrol did not give me much idea on their respective performance. But I read that Amaze petrol is quicker but has poor low end performance. It seems Xcent's petrol engine is more drivable in lower and mid range.

Please share your views on performance difference between two cars.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks