Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2014, 18:51   #556
Senior - BHPian

http://m.autocarindia.com/Article.as...9900&type=News

Seems like people gunning for Automatic will have to wait longer.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 21:24   #557
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Tata Concorde Mumbai says he has been informed by Tata that they will get only two XTs during September. They have plenty of XM versions being delivered.

I have told the SA that if one of those XTs isnt mine, I would have to cancel my booking & asked him to get a written confirmation too from his boss if he can guarantee it.

They have asked for a couple of days now. Cant make out if this is for real or there is some other story behind this.

Last edited by gsurya : 23rd August 2014 at 21:25.
gsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 22:47   #558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
...Cant make out if this is for real or there is some other story behind this.
HAS to be true, since they're in a financial crunch, Tata Motors would've manufactured the variants where they make maximum profit i.e. the Mid-Variant, which they want to liquidate ASAP.

Just see the difference in features of the Mid & Top variant, the price difference being just 50k makes the Top Variant seem VFM, the mid variant costs them MUCH lesser to make.

AFAIK, Maximising Q2 profits is their primary goal as of now to increase share value.
Old 23rd August 2014, 23:41   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Tata Concorde Mumbai says he has been informed by Tata that they will get only two XTs during September. They have plenty of XM versions being delivered.

I have told the SA that if one of those XTs isnt mine, I would have to cancel my booking & asked him to get a written confirmation too from his boss if he can guarantee it.

They have asked for a couple of days now. Cant make out if this is for real or there is some other story behind this.
I suspect the reason is that the AMT from Magnelli is in short supply. A few months back, while waiting for the Zest, I went to a Maruti showroom in NCR to test drive the Celerio AMT in an attempt to get a feel for the technology. The staff informed me that there was a 8-10 month wait for the AMT version and that they had delivered just 2 such cars this year. Tata is likely to be facing a similar shortfall as they are using the same supplier. By next year there are plans to manufacture AMTs in India and then such vehicles, if they prove popular and run well, would become more easily available. That may also be the reason Tata hasn't heavily advertised this option.
Old 24th August 2014, 00:36   #560
BHPian

Is that AMT fully sourced from Magnelli? I mean I believe Magnelli provides a part which can be fitted even on an existing gear box which operates clutch and changes gears. So TATA/Maruti must have made their gearboxes compatible with the part supplied by Magnelli. And I don't think so Magnelli supplies the whole gearbox fitted with that part?

Last edited by StepUP! : 24th August 2014 at 00:37.
Old 24th August 2014, 04:44   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Is that AMT fully sourced from Magnelli? I mean I believe Magnelli provides a part which can be fitted even on an existing gear box which operates clutch and changes gears. So TATA/Maruti must have made their gearboxes compatible with the part supplied by Magnelli. And I don't think so Magnelli supplies the whole gearbox fitted with that part?
You look confused dear. The part that is fitted on an existing gearbox, which automates the clutch operation and gearshifts is called AMT itself. The gearbox is not supplied by MM. They just give the manufacturers the AMT unit, and that is what being discussed here to be in short supply.
itsashishsharma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 08:24   #562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Well...no. It's actually quite good looking in pictures. Have only seen the camo-ed test versions in the flesh but the Zest is certainly not the traditional definition of butt-ugly
Come to think of it, the Vista, Manza & Aria aren't the worst-looking specimens either. The Safari is a beaut (though I must say I go for the classic looks rather than the Storme's). Tata has had serious issues with their cars but I'd say looks are not at the top of the list!
I understand that looks are very subjective, but I simply wish Tata would have done better. Yes, badges can sway the perception of beauty but look at the phenomenal improvement Hyundai /Kia have made after hiring designer from Audi. (I actually came to know about the change in designer after seeing and liking the newer designs from Hyundai/ Kia). So it's not just the "badge" (but may be the designers as well ). And it usually strikes at the first time you see the car. At least I'm glad Tata is making some improvements. Will wait for now though. .
Old 24th August 2014, 10:00   #563
Senior - BHPian

Saw the Zest ad yesterday on Tv. Neat ad but they only promoted the Revotron. No mention of diesel engine or AMT anywhere. Surprising as that should be the USP. Marketing team is really missing a trick there.
Old 24th August 2014, 11:04   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Saw the Zest ad yesterday on Tv. Neat ad but they only promoted the Revotron. No mention of diesel engine or AMT anywhere. Surprising as that should be the USP. Marketing team is really missing a trick there.
The reason behind TATA not promoting the diesel might be two fold:
1. They feel diesel will sell, irrespective of any promotions. Just word and mouth promotions are enough for now.
2. Supply issues of the AMT version; they might not want to create a huge demand and then fail to deliver (do a FORD one might say). This will create a negative impression which they just can't afford right now. I visited KB motors in Kolkata yesterday, and the AMT already has 18 weeks waiting.

Its better they promote the petrol, which they can deliver faster and keep diesel AMT promotions for later (when AMT manufacturing ramps up).

On a different note, I was promised a regular diesel (XT) delivery in 20 days
Sabyasworld is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 12:10   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabyasworld View Post

Its better they promote the petrol, which they can deliver faster and keep diesel AMT promotions for later (when AMT manufacturing ramps up).

On a different note, I was promised a regular diesel (XT) delivery in 20 days
This might be the reason but they should have prepared for it well in advance. India being a diesel driven country and knowing very well its going to be the cheapest automatic sedan in diesel demand would be high. They messed up.

Leave alone AMT, they should at least promote regular diesel with petrol. Not every buyer is educated through forums and they will believe in only what they see which right now is a petrol car.
Old 24th August 2014, 16:03   #566
Distinguished - BHPian

Just received this email from the Prerana Group, the first Zest delivered in Karnataka by TATA Motors by Mr Prashanth Sibal, Zonal manager TATA Motors South India and Mr Premanand Shenoy, MD Prerana motors (P) Ltd.

Customer Name: Mr. V.B.BALASUBRAMANYA
Customer currently owns: Manza, Getz & Fortuner
Variant Sold: ZEST QUADRAJET XM 90 PS

Tata Zest : Official Review-_knv5686.jpg
nkrishnap is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 16:16   #567
Senior - BHPian

A lot of segment firsts, making a Hyundai look like a bare bones car. Loved the decision of AMT diesel (though they could have offered XTA too), Harman audio system, projector lamps even in mid variant and angel eyes in XT etc. Another classy move from Tata is the alloy wheels. It is probably another segment first to offer alloy wheels on the base model of a car that costs less than 5 lakhs! It isn't so cheap and clearly gives an impression that this is not a car built to cost unlike the competitors. If they were building it to cost, alloys, projectors et al would have been missing from the list. One group who would be least amused with this feature list is the alloy wheel dealers. With alloys in all variants, we might not see many Zest owners fitting aftermarket alloys.

A great move from Tata in loading the car with all the features to make it desirable rather than giving an undesirable car at 50k less and pleading with customers to try it out.

I am AMAZED by the DZIRE to get a ZEST!

That was not an easy task but Tata seems to have done it. Long term reliability is the only grey area now but I think we should give Tata a chance to prove themselves on this one. Given the level of attention to detail that we see on this car, I would be willing to believe them if they say they've ironed out most of the long term issues as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Also in the zest, I think the LED will only be the park and brake light (when brakes are engaged) will be halogen.

Attachment 1269980
I think the light below the indicator might be just brake light, without a park light function in it. Otherwise, it looks odd to have LED and regular park lights within the same cluster

Last edited by zenren : 24th August 2014 at 16:26.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 16:26   #568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Just received this email from the Prerana Group, the first Zest delivered in Karnataka by TATA Motors by Mr Prashanth Sibal, Zonal manager TATA Motors South India and Mr Premanand Shenoy, MD Prerana motors (P) Ltd.

Customer Name: Mr. V.B.BALASUBRAMANYA
Customer currently owns: Manza, Getz & Fortuner
Variant Sold: ZEST QUADRAJET XM 90 PS
This is the first white color I am seeing. Any one having more pics of Zest in white?
Old 24th August 2014, 17:04   #569
BHPian

Now as if giving the car at a very good prices was not enough the accessories list truly amazing in Zest.Highlight has to be the heads up display! Take a look yourself..
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Zest : Official Review-zest-1.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-zest-2.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-zest-3.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-zest-4.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-zest-5.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-zest-6.png  

Tata Zest : Official Review-zest-7.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-zest-8.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-zest-9.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-zest-10.jpg  

Last edited by damodar : 24th August 2014 at 17:14.
damodar is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 17:05   #570
BHPian

The last page of the accesories list.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Zest : Official Review-zest-11.jpg  

damodar is offline   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks