Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2014, 18:03   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Renault Duster AWD : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I think the Duster AWD has shorter gearing only for the initial lot of ratios. Going by Rehaan's cruising rpm figures (and comparing to my Duster 2WD report), there doesn't seem to be much of a difference with the 6th gear ratio.
If I recall the 6th gear for the AWD is actually slightly taller to compensate for the final drive. The final drive ratio is 4.8x for AWD as opposed to 4.3x for the 2WD.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 18:48   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertOnWheels View Post
Hi damore
Congrats on your purchase.

- Mind sharing which dealership?
- Mumbai registration (MH01/02/03)?

The dealership I contacted had earlier quoted 13.5 for RXL & around 15.5 for RXZ. Yesterday (after much follow up) they sent me a proforma with the price of RXL hiked by a lakh & RXZ by around 35K. They haven't replied to my query on this.

Also, is it correct that the registration taxes are calculated on the MRP & not on the actual selling price?

Experts please enlighten.

I have booked from GEN NEXT Andheri West. Registration will be MH04

Vehicle Cost (Ex. Showroom) - Rs. 12,96,920/-
Registration & Service Charges - Rs, 1,60,630/-
Depot Charges - Rs. 7,000/-
Insurance Charges - Rs, 47,310/-
Other Charges (LBT) - Rs, 38,908/-
Discount if any - 50k Cash Disc.

EDIT: Apologies, the actual discount that I have received is 50,000

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th December 2014 at 18:57.
Old 6th December 2014, 10:45   #183

Re: New Renault Duster AWD : Potential Transmission problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You're shifting up too early, thereby lugging the engine. You yourself state that this sound goes away once the speedometer climbs.

I think the Duster AWD has shorter gearing only for the initial lot of ratios. Going by Rehaan's cruising rpm figures (and comparing to my Duster 2WD report), there doesn't seem to be much of a difference with the 6th gear ratio.

Honestly, you should be engaging 6th at 80 - 100 kph. Not only is 60 too early, but it also means that you'll have to excessively use the gearbox within the city.
GTO, I called Renault Gurgaon again today and they confirmed that they are replacing the entire transmission assembly (which was my hunch from the very beginning) because according to them some "child part in the assembly is broken" and hence "to offer complete customer satisafaction they are replacing the entire transmission assembly".

It is very clear now that if they are replacing the Transmission assembly of a 2 day old car, which has done 300 kms odd, something is not right here and probably its nothing to do with engaging 6th gear at low speeds (though I agree with your points on why it should be avoided).

They are expecting to get the replacement Transmission to reach them possibly today so I guess I will have to live through another week to get the car back.

The only self doubt I have now is whether I am doing the right thing by keeping the Idrive on Auto mode all the time and whether this caused the problem in the Transmission ??
DIBISENA2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 11:32   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIBISENA2 View Post
New Renault Duster AWD : Potential Transmission problems

I want to alert fellow TBHPians about a potential problem in the Trasmission of the new Renault Duster AWD based on my ownership experience. I bought a Duster AWD RXL model on 19th November 2014 from their Authorised Dealer M/s. Sprint Cars, MG Road, Gurgaon. On 22nd December while driving from Delhi to Gurgaon, I noticed that the car is making a mechanical grinding underbody noise (only on 6th gear) while the speedometer is crossing from 60 Kmph - 70 Kmph (somewhere between these 2 counters). The noise goes away on its own once 70 kmph is crossed and the car coasts without any problem. No such grinding noise is found when the car is shedding speed from 70 kmph to 60 kmph on the 6th gear. Please note that this noise comes in both the 2WD and Auto Mode on the "Idrive" (in any case if you are in 4WD mode the car will resort to Auto mode after 60 kmph).
Exactly the issue I too have on my RXL AWD. In 5th /6th gear, when the vehicle hits that 60/70kmph range, I have the mechanical grinding sound coming. This mechanical sound also brings along with it, a kind of vibration which you would experience if you ere driving a tractor. This then subsides as soon as the rpm raises. Doesn't happen in lower gears except 5th and 6th.

Man..me worried now...my initial thoughts were on the turbo being not tightly bolted and causing issue when revved up. I felt hat was the culprit....i need to race my way to the showroom now

Please keep us posted on the response you get from Renault on this.
Old 6th December 2014, 12:47   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerme? View Post
Exactly the issue I too have on my RXL AWD. In 5th /6th gear, when the vehicle hits that 60/70kmph range, I have the mechanical grinding sound coming. This mechanical sound also brings along with it, a kind of vibration which you would experience if you ere driving a tractor. This then subsides as soon as the rpm raises. Doesn't happen in lower gears except 5th and 6th.

Man..me worried now...my initial thoughts were on the turbo being not tightly bolted and causing issue when revved up. I felt hat was the culprit....i need to race my way to the showroom now

Please keep us posted on the response you get from Renault on this.
Raceme, pls check my latest posting, Renault is replacing the entire transmission assembly (or so they are claiming). After reading your post about the same problem (also encountered in the 5th gear and vibrations) I am inclined to think its a design defect and its manifesting itself in more acute form progressively with usage (my problem was restricted to 6th gear and the car has done approx 300 kms and probably yours has more mileage on it and hence the manifestation of the problem even in 5th gear and the vibrations). Clearly something is wrong here and I urge all existing owners to check for this problem by driving from 60 kmph to 70 kmph in the 6th gear first and see if you get this mechanical grinding noise which goes away on its own after crossing 70 kmph. If we get similar reports over the next few weeks, would request Team BHP to pls take up the matter with Renault India so that all affected owners get a speedy resolution and if need be Renault issues a Recall
Old 6th December 2014, 14:46   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The only self doubt I have now is whether I am doing the right thing by keeping the Idrive on Auto mode all the time and whether this caused the problem in the Transmission ??
Why do you have to keep it on auto mode unless you drive in slippery conditions? I dont think 'Auto 4WD' helps in dry tarmac.
Old 6th December 2014, 15:23   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Raceme, pls check my latest posting, Renault is replacing the entire transmission assembly (or so they are claiming). After reading your post about the same problem (also encountered in the 5th gear and vibrations) I am inclined to think its a design defect and its manifesting itself in more acute form progressively with usage (my problem was restricted to 6th gear and the car has done approx 300 kms and probably yours has more mileage on it and hence the manifestation of the problem even in 5th gear and the vibrations). Clearly something is wrong here and I urge all existing owners to check for this problem by driving from 60 kmph to 70 kmph in the 6th gear first and see if you get this mechanical grinding noise which goes away on its own after crossing 70 kmph. If we get similar reports over the next few weeks, would request Team BHP to pls take up the matter with Renault India so that all affected owners get a speedy resolution and if need be Renault issues a Recall
I have clocked about 550kms now and experienced this first at around 250Kms on the ODO. It was in the fifth gear when I experienced it first time.I wonder if it is to do with the transmission in the first place because the noise clearly comes from the front top end of the engine and not where the transmission is. Anyways will go in the direction as yours.

One more thing, do you see any traces of rusting?
Old 6th December 2014, 17:53   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerme? View Post
I have clocked about 550kms now and experienced this first at around 250Kms on the ODO. It was in the fifth gear when I experienced it first time.I wonder if it is to do with the transmission in the first place because the noise clearly comes from the front top end of the engine and not where the transmission is. Anyways will go in the direction as yours.

One more thing, do you see any traces of rusting?
Raceme I think for me also, the onset of the noise started around the 250 Kms mark. You should definitely go ahead and speak to the ASS guys to investigate the issue. One more update is that the customer relations lady from Renault Gurgaon ASS called me to inform this afternoon that now they are expecting the replacement transmission by Monday so they expect to hand over the car back to me on Wednesday next week. Also as a gesture of goodwill they will pay me Rs.1200 per day from today until they deliver the car back to me though I will have to give them some taxi bills to process this claim.

I haven't inspected the car for rust and I hope this one doesn't turn up as a "Ruster" as per the latest reports.

In hindsight, my impulse buying decision (took a TD and paid the money to the showroom by RTGS within the next hour and got delivery next day) seems unwise (as most impulse purchase decisions turn out later with hindsight). But on the otherhand, I liked driving the car and its tough workhorse nature and I always believe that a car should touch your heart the moment you drive her the first time (like the proverbial connection with magic wands in harry potter stories) rather than rationalising later that you liked her for A, B, C, D etc reasons. My Jaguar XFS, Audi A6 and Honda Accord V6 were all bought immediately after the first drive and I love each one of them as much today. I really like the Duster AWD and I look forward to getting her back soon.
Old 6th December 2014, 18:22   #189
BHPian

Can anyone help me to inform about the Duster facelift. Is it coming anytime in January?
Old 6th December 2014, 18:31   #190
BHPian

Just wish if following were true in a duster.

Refinement of Hyundai crdi diesel
Toyota clutch and gears
1800 cc 125 bhp engine from Renault
Two more air bags.
Bit more stronger body.
Ambient inside lights
For the last luxury car crazy

Besides this I also wish they had a ultra low cost entry level AWD TO complete with Mahindra thar etc.
Old 6th December 2014, 20:06   #191
BHPian

I was planning to book the RxL AWD tomorrow from Gen Next but now looking to this problem which has occured in two cars, I think I will wait for a few days more and then take a call.
Old 7th December 2014, 19:32   #192

please check the wheel on the left. Does it also show signs of rusting?
And Rehaan did you notice during the test drive whether it was rusting ir not?
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-renaultdusterawd04.jpg  

Old 7th December 2014, 19:38   #193

Please check the wheel on the left. Does it also show signs of rusting?

And Rehaan if it is rusting indeed, did you notice it during your test drive or is it just some anti-corrosion colour that has been applied there?
Old 7th December 2014, 21:15   #194
BHPian

Quote:
New Renault Duster AWD : Potential Transmission problems
=========
Moderators this is my first posting in the Forum so apologies if I am posting this in the wrong thread
I put my RxZ AWD to test today, to specifically look for the issue you have quoted above. I first tried switching gear to 6th when the speedometer reached 60kmph. I then slowed down my car on 6th gear to reach 60kmph and then give it some gas. In both these cases I did hear a grinding noise and light vibration on the accelerator pedal. However, the noise I heard was pretty faint and I felt it was the natural process of the engine trying to rev up without knocking. Nevertheless, I will keep a closer watch in the coming days and talk to a Renault technician.
Old 7th December 2014, 23:52   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr74 View Post
4. Picture attached - Exposed hot pipe under the glove compartment. My friend, who is a tall person burnt his foot while stretching his legs.
An update - Renault After sales called me and told me that they are accepting this as a valid feedback to be fixed in their manufacturing process. Meanwhile, they will put some netting in my car to avoid the foot touching the pipe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks