Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2017, 20:28   #211
BHPian

Re: Maruti Alto K10 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
I had a couple of questions on the AMT:

1. AMT usage itself looks pretty simple. But is there any specific precaution that the user needs to be aware off, while driving? To avoid excessive clutch wear, to be specific.
In automatic mode you have to learn to let the the accelerator down near the shift points, to give the AMT a chance to shift up at regular intervals, this will avoid clutch wear in the long run. You should also shift the AMT box to N mode when idling for ling intervals in traffic with the handbrake activated. Also learn to use the creep mode effectively in bumper to bumper traffic.

When traversing ghat roads - up or down it is best to use M mode as the transmission is prone to hunting and shifting more than necessary.

Quote:
2. In a water-logged area, what precaution should the driver take, other than using manual gear shift? Is ALTO K10 prone to issues arising from water logged roads during normal rains? In Bangalore, in some areas (Bannerghatta road for example), water level on the road can go up-to a feet during rain.
I have driven my K10 AMT through some bad waterlogged sections in Pune where auto rickshaws were getting stalled. The trick is to shift to M mode, keep the transmission in 1st gear and drive slowly without creating any waves. Keep the AC off during this exercise. The air intake is sufficiently high (at bonnet lock level) to allow you to wade through urban waterlogged sections.
shajoshi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 20:12   #212
Senior - BHPian

I had another question: Can the car be moved from stand-still in manual mode? That is, can the car be driven ONLY in the manual mode (if required)?

Thanks in advance! 😊
Old 26th June 2017, 20:20   #213
BANNED

Quote:
I had another question: Can the car be moved from stand-still in manual mode?
Yes sir. Possible. Just that it beats the purpose of semi-AT

When I take the car out, it is always in 'M' mode.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 09:08   #214
BHPian

Quote:
I had another question: Can the car be moved from stand-still in manual mode? That is, can the car be driven ONLY in the manual mode (if required)?
Certainly - it can be ridden in manual mode only. The car will not shift gears to protect gearbox near readlines, and will upshift automatically when you slow down.

Do read my earlier post on this thread for details on how the AMT box works - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ft#post3642791
shajoshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 09:33   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajoshi View Post
Certainly - it can be ridden in manual mode only. The car will not shift gears to protect gearbox near readlines, and will upshift automatically when you slow down.
A slight correction. In manual mode, the car WILL upshift near redline and will downshift once engine speed drops below 1k RPM. I have had an upshift from 2nd to 3rd at 6K RPM. However, the only issue with the M mode is if you are in 2nd gear the downshift to 1st happens only once the car becomes standstill. Until then, it will stay in 2nd gear and merrily slip the clutch until it picks up speed. Hence, if one is driving in manual mode, it is better to shift down to 1st once the car slows down below 20kmph. In D, the downshift to 1 from 2 happens at this point and the car need not come to a standstill.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 09:43   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
A slight correction. In manual mode, the car WILL upshift near redline and will downshift once engine speed drops below 1k RPM. I have had an upshift from 2nd to 3rd at 6K RPM. However, the only issue with the M mode is if you are in 2nd gear the downshift to 1st happens only once the car becomes standstill. Until then, it will stay in 2nd gear and merrily slip the clutch until it picks up speed. Hence, if one is driving in manual mode, it is better to shift down to 1st once the car slows down below 20kmph. In D, the downshift to 1 from 2 happens at this point and the car need not come to a standstill.
Thanks for correcting - I meant "downshift" automatically
shajoshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 10:33   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
A slight correction. In manual mode, the car WILL upshift near redline and will downshift once engine speed drops below 1k RPM. I have had an upshift from 2nd to 3rd at 6K RPM.
Interesting. My Alto K10 AMT doesn't upshift in M mode, it hits the rev limiter at 6000rpm and stays there in the same gear. I have experienced this in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear as well. May be it has something to do with the AMT software update?
Old 10th August 2017, 12:09   #218
BHPian

Hi Alto K10 owners,

My Alto K10 VXI AMT will be three years old in coming November. I had added some basic aftermarket accessorries to the car after purchase, but one thing which I forgot to address is the toolkit! My car came with just the jack and no wrench or spanner. At that time, the dealer had washed their hands off saying all that came is in the dicky.

Can anyone suggest where I can buy a toolkit for the Alto K10.

Last edited by wishnipon : 10th August 2017 at 12:39. Reason: grammar
Old 10th August 2017, 12:19   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishnipon View Post
Hi Alto K10 owners,

My Alto K10 AMT will be three year old on coming November. I had added some basic aftermarket accessorries to the car after purchase, but one thing which I forgot to address is the toolkit! My car came with just the jack and no wrench or spanner. At that time, the dealer had washed their hands off saying all that came is in the dicky.

I got the entire set with my K10. Nothing was missing. Dealer did flick once, but, I got it back after making some noise.

All Maruti dealers will have tool kits for sale.
Old 10th August 2017, 14:03   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Alto K10 owners,

My Alto K10 VXI AMT will be three years old in coming November. I had added some basic aftermarket accessorries to the car after purchase, but one thing which I forgot to address is the toolkit! My car came with just the jack and no wrench or spanner. At that time, the dealer had washed their hands off saying all that came is in the dicky.

I don't think you need to look for an "Alto K10" tool kit. Unless you get into playing with the engine, the rest of the fitments are genereally all done with standard sized screws / nut-bolts. Just get a good pouch & make your own tool-kit.

1. Keep 2 moderately sized screw drivers - 1 standard & 2 Philips ("star") head.

2. Buy a spark-plug combi-spanner (it looks like a small hammer made with 2 pipes welded. The hammer-head like part has shaped spanner of 2 sizes on 2 ends). Available with hardware / car-scooter-bike spares shops generally.

3. If possible - source a good multi-wrench tool that has 2x Multiple shaped adjustable/adaptable heads. That will serve all of your needs. Search for "Kobalt" (if i remember correctly). I think they are pretty good. This tool would mean you don't have to carry separate spanners for the other nuts & bolts in the car that you might have to fiddle with.

4. Additionally, keep nose-pliers or normal shaped pliers as well. Come in handy.

That should be about it I feel. Maruti hardly gives anything now a days in the tool kit. Whichever car you buy.

Last edited by Reinhard : 10th August 2017 at 14:04.
Old 10th August 2017, 14:41   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Alto K10 owners,

According to the parts catalogue, all that comes in the name of a toolkit is a jack handle and wheel wrench. Do let me know if you need their part numbers.

Alternatively, you can either choose to purchase all the required tools separately as advised by BHPian Reinhard, or, you can consider purchasing toolkit of some older generation Maruti. They had a couple of open end spanners, sparkplug socket, a screw driver and most importantly, a proper pouch too. Such tool kits cost around 150-200 rupees in MGP.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 22:18   #222
BHPian

Hi K10 owners,

Did you get spare H4 bulbs with the car as well? Earlier, Maruti Suzuki cars used to come with spare headlight bulbs but did not get any with mine.
Old 25th September 2017, 23:21   #223
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease_Monkey View Post
Hi K10 owners,

Did you get spare H4 bulbs with the car as well? Earlier, Maruti Suzuki cars used to come with spare headlight bulbs but did not get any with mine.
I did't get any spare bulbs with my K10 AMT.

I think it was stopped 4 to 5 years back IIRC
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 23:44   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I did't get any spare bulbs with my K10 AMT.

I think it was stopped 4 to 5 years back IIRC
Thanks for the confirmation, I thought I was conned by my dealer
Old 19th October 2017, 04:20   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease_Monkey View Post
Hi K10 owners,

Initially I didn't get any. Then I visited the dealer again and made some noise. That's how I got the bulbs. However, I wasn't given the wrench and spanner, without which the jack is pretty is useless.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks