Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2014, 12:14   #91
BHPian

What a review, I must say!!
I have booked the Zest XMA and waiting for the delivery, was actually waiting for the Bolt launch and see if they had an XMA in the Bolt lineup, could have changed my mind. No reason to think about that now. I really believe that the Bolt will be a success, it has everything that makes a successful product.
Old 12th December 2014, 12:23   #92
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review

Lovely review Aditya, Rehaan!

The Zest has beaten Amaze going by the October and November ’14 sales figures. Would love to see how the Bolt fares when it hits the market. Would like to see the ASEAN NCAP test ratings for this one. The Vista scored 3 stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Halogen Projectors are also offered on the Maruti Stingray!
The Skoda Fabia Scout had halogen projectors when it was launched it Q2 2012. The Stingray came much later. The Scout was a dud which is a different story.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 12:41   #93
BHPian

Stunning review as always! Kudos to the team.

Again, an excellent product by Tata after Zest. This is power packed package by all means and is at par with segment best.

But the real question is, will people buy a premium product (hatch here) from Tata which is built on Vista platform and which still looks like Indica?
Let's not compare it with Zest numbers which is in different segment (entry level segment) where we don't have a 'Premium' category. And Zest resembles less to Indigo than Bolt resembles to Indica (famous as Taxi image). Plus, Zest is best looking car in its segment but Bolt is not!

So, all boils down to the pricing. Tata has to price it smartly (read way below than competitors), but this looks unlikely, looking at the feature list and quality that Bolt possesses.
If Bolt fails to log number (despite such a good product), the only culprit would be the Indica/Vistaish looks (Taxi image for many Indians), IMO.
Old 12th December 2014, 13:45   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
While I partly agree to you (that Bolt faces much tougher competition compared to the Zest), I think Bolt do have a good USP - the same USP which Vista had but could not capitalize. The USP is in-cabin space.
While I do agree that Bolt/Vista are very spacious hatches, but the fact remains that Bolt doesn't really bring anything new to the table, except for improved interiors (and a new turbo petrol engine, whose long term reliability remains to be establisted).

Zest can be differentiated from Manza because it has been re-engineered to fall within 4m, and hence enjoys taxation benefits. This is the USP of the Zest compared to Manza.

In order to differentiate Bolt from Vista (and the other hatchbacks in this price segment), Tata needed some out of the box thinking. IMHO, if they had elongated the Bolt to make it a station-wagon, its boot space could have been a USP.

Rohan
Old 12th December 2014, 14:06   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
In order to differentiate Bolt from Vista (and the other hatchbacks in this price segment), Tata needed some out of the box thinking. IMHO, if they had elongated the Bolt to make it a station-wagon, its boot space could have been a USP.
I agree with you on Tata might have made Bolt something special hatch, instead of another hatch.
I also doubt Tata would never ever try a station wagon, especially after Indigo Marina fiasco. Indian market is little odd(may be more ), not able to accept any station wagons (Tata, Fiat...).

P.S: I am the one who loves to own a station wagon, but no options
Old 12th December 2014, 15:11   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
While I do agree that Bolt/Vista are very spacious hatches, but the fact remains that Bolt doesn't really bring anything new to the table, except for improved interiors (and a new turbo petrol engine, whose long term reliability remains to be establisted).

Rohan
Though nothing path breaking, Zest do bring some things to the table like the Harman Touchscreen system, Navigation, Projector headlights across models etc. The interior is much improved and can match any other product from the same segment. This itself is a big step from Vista. Add to this a better tuned suspension and seats with good bolstering (not that the seats in Vista was below average to begin with), Bolt have enough goodies to stand on its own, when compared to Vista or with Swift and other contenders.

I sincerely hope Vista will be discontinued once Bold hits the shelf. Vista had the framework to become a good family hatch but lacked the bells and whistles - Bolt have the framework and the bells and whistles, which makes it a complete package.

--Anoop
Old 13th December 2014, 09:45   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I sincerely hope Vista will be discontinued once Bold hits the shelf. Vista had the framework to become a good family hatch but lacked the bells and whistles - Bolt have the framework and the bells and whistles, which makes it a complete package.

--Anoop
Why? Vista a ready made and proven success for the cab role. It's logical that it should be continued as a cost effective hatch. Discontinuing a car merely 7 years old and has absolutely no technical shortcomings makes no business sense at all.

The Vista didn't lack any bells and whistles. It was overloaded with them. Name one that was lacking please. All it lacked was image, sporty looks, proper marketing, better service perception.
Reinhard is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2014, 11:08   #98
BHPian

Excellent review Aditya, Rehaan and equally excellent attempt by Tata.

Yes it does have Vista underpinnings but if seen in isolation it indeed is a smart looking car, loaded with features, quality at par with competition & great value for money.

Tata have three stars in their bag now, Mayank Pareek, Zest & Bolt. Another 3-4 lined up for 2015-16, Kite, Kite sedan, Nano AMT, refreshed Strom.
Future definitely looks bright for Tata Motors in domestic passenger car space.
Old 13th December 2014, 17:56   #99
Senior - BHPian

Tata now needs to get a totally new product . The Bolt though a very competent product, is after all an Indica and this will hold back a lot of people in putting their money on this car. The Zest looks more compelling.

Tata should also have the refreshed Storme in the showrooms as the current Safari + Storme are not getting the numbers. For a 15 lakh car the Storme is woefully short on equivpment It needs airbags across variants, better ICE with navigation, reversing camera and a front facing seats. Tata Motors should also look at reducing the weight by 150-200 Kg to make it handle better, drink less fuel and have better manners for in city driving.
Old 13th December 2014, 22:40   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionados View Post

But the real question is, will people buy a premium product (hatch here)

from Tata which is built on Vista platform and which still looks like Indica?
Please correct me if I'm mistaken,

I doubt Bolt can be classified as a premium hatch. Its set to compete with the likes of swift and grand i20.
Which sit below the i20 and the upcoming YRA hatch with Polo and upcoming Jazz for competition amongst others.

The Bolt will certainly be priced lower than its prime competitor swift.
The omission of features (from Zest) are an indication towards that.
Old 13th December 2014, 22:44   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Tata should also have the refreshed Storme in the showrooms as the current Safari + Storme are not getting the numbers. For a 15 lakh car the Storme is woefully short on equivpment It needs airbags across variants, better ICE with navigation, reversing camera and a front facing seats. Tata Motors should also look at reducing the weight by 150-200 Kg to make it handle better, drink less fuel and have better manners for in city driving.
Tata Motors has put on display a modified version of its SUV, the Safari Storme at the ongoing Autocar Performance Show. The vehicle gets only cosmetic changes and no mechanical changes are involved.

http://<br /> http://www.motorbeam.c...d-ready/<br />

Quote:

--Anoop
Why? The Vista is an excellent package for cabbies. It's much better than Micra!
My recent Ola ride was in a brand new Vista and the driver was so excited. It costed him 5.8 lacs on road in Bangalore.
balajisv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2014, 22:45   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400notout View Post
Please correct me if I'm mistaken,

I doubt Bolt can be classified as a premium hatch. Its set to compete with the likes of swift and grand i20.
Which sit below the i20 and the upcoming YRA hatch with Polo and upcoming Jazz for competition amongst others.
A lesser premium hatchback, if you will.

But definately, a premium hatch. No doubts about that. Where do the run of the mill WagonRs sit, then?

And sir, did you ever know that a Hyundai Grand i20 existed? In your post, apparently it does.
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2014, 23:25   #103

Many thanks for a very comprehensive review and some really good pics .
Having owned Tata cars for last 10 yrs and my present car the Vista for the last 3 years , I can say Tata Motors has come a long way.
I test drove both Petrol and Diesel models of the Zest shortly after it reached showrooms and found it difficult to believe that the Zest felt so much better than my Diesel Vista . Everything from the door shut lines to the Interior quality and design , Engine refinement and Ride and Handling Package was substantially better than the Vista. Another major thing I have felt is the much improved after sales service at Concorde motors Pune. I would not say Tata cars and service are perfect but things have really improved by the Company in a short span of time.
Now the question comes should I upgrade to the Diesel Bolt from my Vista ?? Of course it looks and feels much better and is even better engineered but... I guess I will wait for product no. 3 of Horizone Nxt
rider_no46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2014, 23:30   #104
Senior - BHPian

Wow! A sincere and a very nice effort by Tata to get back into the competition. I am impressed by the Bolt and the Zest. Look very premium and not just another run of the mill hatchback/sedan from Tata. Loved both the cars very much. Awesome review as well. Thanks for sharing.
Old 14th December 2014, 09:53   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
Tata Motors has put on display a modified version of its SUV, the Safari Storme at the ongoing Autocar Performance Show. The vehicle gets only cosmetic changes and no mechanical changes are involved.

http://<br /> http://www.motorbeam.c...d-ready/<br />
Is actually not really a modified version per say. It's a body kit available at dealer level. The dealer must be super confident (idiot) imo to keep a stock of even a single kit! Such destruction of a clean sweet to the eyes SUV.

This is just a stop gap to fill up the bay they booked at the auto show . Tata corner without an SUV would look sorrow.

Most Viewed