Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2015, 15:15   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Guys, look who's here

Got delivered day before evening and took her all the way to chennai yesterday. Drove it very sedately as it's the running in period and with lots of breaks in between. I'l be putting up an ownership thread soon. In short, the car is really good! It's a very worthy upgrade from the previous Nano.

The EPS is really good and way better than the Eon. It's really light in city speeds and above 70 kmph, it's pretty solid too. Compared to the old Nano (2010), this one is way more stable, be it straight line or in curves, and grips the road way better. Ride is better, A/C is better, seats are pretty good and the sound is so manageable now.

The best part i liked is the Steering wheel and switchgear combo that has been lifted from the Bolt/Zest. Their working is so soft and premium that it feels better than the Eon and Wagon-R.

I'm really happy with the upgrade and miss just a few things - the Day and Night ORVM and the sound on the outside feels more "put put" now though it's softer.

Attachment 1380408

Cheers!

Congrats on the Nano! Looking forward to a detailed ownership review like the last time. Did you sell the old one? If so how much did it fetch?

A repeat customer means Tata is surely doing something right with this car.

I guess this should be the first Gen X delivered in the state?
JayD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 15:31   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, look who's here
Got delivered day before evening and took her all the way to chennai yesterday.
Cheers!
Is there any particular reason you bought the Nano AMT ? Don't you feel the brakes are a bit too spongy for highway use ?
Old 10th June 2015, 15:57   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Wow, that was FAST. Booked on 6th and delivered on 9th? Congratulations and wish you countless happy miles.

Do post a more detailed drive report.

--Anoop
Yeah it was indeed quick and that's the only reason i even booked this car at the moment as I had to take her to chennai. I'l put up a report soon

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Congrats on the Nano! Looking forward to a detailed ownership review like the last time. Did you sell the old one? If so how much did it fetch?

A repeat customer means Tata is surely doing something right with this car.

I guess this should be the first Gen X delivered in the state?
Thank you! I sold the old one to my friend for 85k. I could have quoted a lil higher price if i wanted but i just got to know during a service that the started motor coil needs to rewound and the tires need a change in another 6000 km. So i settled for 85 k.

I don't know if mine's the first car! I'l check that. And yeah, I wasn't extremely happy with the previous cars reliability as it had very minute issues popping up - an odd rattle or one door not locking with the central lock etc. But I loved it for the convenience, price, space, FE, cheap maintenance, etc. Right now the positives have only increased and hence, yes, i'm happy with the Nano. But I would also like to say that their sales experience needs to be improved totally. They are willing for a test-drive etc, but lack of communication and professionalism is what i felt to be the major gripe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Is there any particular reason you bought the Nano AMT ? Don't you feel the brakes are a bit too spongy for highway use ?
Mine's a manual (thought i had mentioned earlier). I found the brakes quite OK just like any other car in its class. The only difference is that the disc-drum set up has an entirely different feel while you brake and the all drum set-up feels totally different. I had the same gripe with my old nano but i guess I'm used to it now. The brakes are adequate, not great.

There was an instance where a herd of goats just jumped into the highway. A van next to the lane I was in crashed on to it. I just had to brake suddenly as few of them were running onto my car. I was doing around 50 - 55 and braked suddenly and the car did stop reasonably well! I really thought I would have killed the goat but luckily did not.

Thank you! Cheers
freakmuzik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 16:27   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, look who's here

Got delivered day before evening and took her all the way to chennai yesterday. Drove it very sedately as it's the running in period and with lots of breaks in between.
Congrats on a great buy! Have a safe and happy ownership.

I would like to know how many tankfuls did you consume till Chennai? And approximately how long did you take to reach? I am guessing you have driven from Trivandrum to Chennai.
I am receiving mine this weekend and am contemplating on driving from Bangalore to Kochi and back for a vacation. I am still not convinced about the time required to reach as the speed of this car is nothing great on highways. And the smaller tank compared to other cars is giving me the jitters should I run out of fuel in some unknown area.
Old 10th June 2015, 19:34   #275
Senior - BHPian

Has the deliveries started for the AMT? Heard there is a long waiting for the AMTs.
Old 10th June 2015, 21:27   #276
Senior - BHPian

Got my Sangria Red XTA delivered a while back!!

Initial impressions are good!! Will post a detailed report soon!
JayD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 21:30   #277
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Got my Sangria Red XTA delivered a while back!!

Initial impressions are good!! Will post a detailed report soon!
Congrats Jay.

Awaiting pictures and TD report.
Old 10th June 2015, 22:28   #278
BANNED

I think still Tata hasn't learnt the art of milking at the right time. I expressed an interest for the Gen next version immediately in their website on the day of launch, got a call from TATA almost 5 days later and call from the local Chennai dealer almost 10days later who is rather not interested at all to get the car for a Test drive to home once when I told I'm looking for a second car ideally for the lady at home. :what:
Old 10th June 2015, 23:02   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
Congrats on a great buy! Have a safe and happy ownership.

I would like to know how many tankfuls did you consume till Chennai? And approximately how long did you take to reach? I am guessing you have driven from Trivandrum to Chennai.
I am receiving mine this weekend and am contemplating on driving from Bangalore to Kochi and back for a vacation. I am still not convinced about the time required to reach as the speed of this car is nothing great on highways. And the smaller tank compared to other cars is giving me the jitters should I run out of fuel in some unknown area.
35 to 36 litres of petrol for 790 km. The car had a tankful of petrol from Trivandrum and then consumed another 18 litres after Madurai (after 394 km) and right now, there must be another 6 litres left in the tank. And the fuel efficiency was very constantly between 22 and 23.

If its the new nano, you can comfortably maintain 90 kmph for sure! I took 15 hours to reach Chennai with over 80 mins of break and some very slow driving! I strictly maintained a maximum speed of 80kmph even on totally empty 4 lane roads due to the car being run in. When i get to 80 unknowingly, i get back to 65 to 70 kmph.

24 litre fuel tank means I just had to refill once before start and once midway for the entire trip which is quite good. Any car would need a refill once for a 800 km journey!

Respect the car and it's behaviour and I'm sure you'l enjoy the drive! It'l definitely be a great experience. If you've driven the old nano, i can say that overtaking has become easier in the present one.

Cheers! And do update after the drive.
freakmuzik is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 23:03   #280
BHPian

Goats be so random! Even now just thinking about goats jumping onto the highway makes me giggle.

Quote:

There was an instance where a herd of goats just jumped into the highway. A van next to the lane I was in crashed on to it. I just had to brake suddenly as few of them were running onto my car. I was doing around 50 - 55 and braked suddenly and the car did stop reasonably well! I really thought I would have killed the goat but luckily did not.

Thank you! Cheers
Congrats on your new purchase. Must say it looks particularly delicious in RED!

As others have echoed, please do give a detailed review as before. Perhaps even continue with the current thread with an edited title. I feel that the continuity of nano ownership and test drives that you have personally done over the iterations of the nano provide a very vivid picture into the ownership experience. It has given me confidence to book this car (cant wait for delivery and the consequential questioning from family and friends ) and the knowledge that there are niggles but livable at that.

Many Thanks

B.B
budgam.boonyi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 06:55   #281
BANNED

One of my biggest dreams was to have a frugal car that can take me to a hill station whenever I want. Nano appears to be neither frugal nor be able to climb properly. That it is giving up on the stop-go situations on the hills is a grave safety issue. Great city car. Not for me, not in petrol form at least. Diesel? YAWN..
Old 11th June 2015, 07:36   #282
Senior - BHPian

Drove the Nano AMT yesterday and it felt nice.

First the bad bits! As many reports have said, the brakes could do with a lot more bite, it is very weak and one needs to be very careful. I had it in my mind before the drive, but it shocked me still. And the engine struggles to get the Nano off the line and on inclines. But its okay once the Nano attains momentum. Wish Tata can fix these with future refreshes.

Rest of it is amazing. The new red looks stunning, the AC was freezing and the AMT felt really good. I tried a not so steep incline and the Nano could crawl forward. The manual mode was smooth shifting. The NVH was also not bad on the inside.

And all other plusses like that amazing EPS, space, kit, excellent AMC package make it very desirable.

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_20150610_134745360_hdr.jpg

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-_20150611_073808.jpg

Last edited by deetjohn : 11th June 2015 at 07:44. Reason: Adding pics
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 09:29   #283
Senior - BHPian

Took a detailed second test drive of XTA yesterday along with dad. About 30minutes through various terrains. Yes! Thanks to the not so flat landscape of Kottayam.

Creep feature was a boon since my dad was driving an Auto for the first time and had tried to stop in between the incline then took off. Sport mode had to be engaged for getting a pull response.

Dad is fine with the power output as his driving is not highway kind and never aggressive too. Only that he need to get acquainted to AMT. Manual felt more comfortable for him. I convinced that he could adapt to AMT after a few days of usage. But today morning he again asked me to think of Manual

Damson Purple is what appealed both of us, especially after showing the snaps posted by Poseidon.

Dad has 50% NCB on the Insurance of Alto which can be transferred to Nano which works out cheaper than bagging the corporate offer of 2years AMC from Wifey.

AMC slabs are quite surprising. 2 years for INR 3xxx while 3 years for 4xxx. And 11xxx for the 4 year package. All are for Gold which includes all consumables including wiper blades. Only bulbs and fuses exempted other than physical damages.

Cost of 4 year AMC makes me think its wise to go for it! May be they anticipate higher maintenance cost after 4th service?

Today I am expecting the offer from MK on exchanging the Alto 1.1. Have already kept the cheque leaf in my pocket for token advance against booking.

Last edited by jacs : 11th June 2015 at 09:31.
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 09:51   #284
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah it was indeed quick and that's the only reason i even booked this car at the moment as I had to take her to chennai. I'l put up a report soon

Thank you! Cheers
Congrats on the purchase. Looking forward to the detailed review.

Good that you did not hit the goats. We learnt recently the hard way that hitting goats can be an expensive proposition. My In-Laws Etios hit a couple of goats that suddenly jumped on to the road (1 died) near Mysore during a Calicut-Bangalore drive. Ended up having to shell out ~Rs 9000 for the 2 goats, bumper of the car broke and had to be replaced. Another 10,000 for that.

Not a situation you would want to be in with a brand new car on its first trip
Old 11th June 2015, 10:57   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, look who's here
=====
Cheers!

Hi freakmuzik,
Congratulations on the quick and new purchase! I believe you had a twist? And you upgraded to a Gen x manual .Objectively thinking (apart from the euphoria of a new car ofcourse) why would / should anybody do that?
Apart from the openable boot what do you see as the benefits?
I can understand if you took the amt or if you were upgrading from the Gen 1 models - so just checking.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks