Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2015, 10:48   #181
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Just found this info in Tata Nano Facebook page as to why the ARAI Fuel Efficiency figures have dropped from 25 to 21.9 kmpl. I don't know how true this is but just posting what I found in the comments by the Tata Nano Official Page -

https://www.facebook.com/TataNanoPag...type=1&theater

"GenX Nano's weight is higher compared to previous Nano as it gets an openable hatch and also reinforcements in body structure for improvements in areas of NVH, safety and stability. This puts the car in higher 'inertia class' for measurements at ARAI under standard test conditions.
The GenX Nano actually improves real life fuel efficiency over the outgoing model owing to changes in gear ratios and better calibration. So don't worry, GenX Nano would deliver better fuel efficiency in a typical city drive experience.. "
freakmuzik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 12:34   #182
BHPian

Has anyone in this forum from Bangalore taken a delivery of AMT ? I understand that deliveries were made in Pune last week.
Old 1st June 2015, 12:57   #183
Senior - BHPian

Checked out the nano AMT, about 10 days back or so. It was night, a brand new car with 40km on the odo, and with 4 people. The car felt terribly slow, and was really struggling to move, and the creep seemed like an excuse.

i drove the same car again yesterday, and it had done 1500kms. I was pleasantly surprised. I still had 4 people on board, but the car was pulling much better. People used to normal automatics will need to get used to the lag on shifting, but with a little change in our driving style, it can be masked well. The gearbox felt much better than the celerio unit, and creep was good to have. AC as usual was phenomenal. Refinement inside has gone up several notches and its really quiet inside now.

The main negative of this car are the brakes, they are simply inadequate for this car, especially for the AMT version. Tata could have cut out the bluetooth system, and all that jazz in favour of disc brakes.

Another issue is the exhsust note. The earlier car had more mechanical noise which seems reduced and more refined now, but the exhaust note seems to hae become much louder. and not a good tone at that.But guess its too much to ask when Maruti seems to be putting a louder motor in a 6 lakh car.

I may book one, but the dealer in cochin does not know when the launch is yet!

i wonder whats there to launch the car in every town seperately. Just have a national launch and commence sales will you!

Last edited by JayD : 1st June 2015 at 13:16.
JayD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 13:21   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Sadly true - they lost a booking solely due to this. One of my relative was sold on this and booked (also sold his car in anticipation of taking delivery of his Nano soon) but since the dealer is still clueless about the delivery timeline, cancelled his booking and brought a Liva.

--Anoop
Old 1st June 2015, 14:31   #185
BHPian

Quote:
The main negative of this car are the brakes,

,but the exhaust note seems to hae become much louder.
Pathetic brakes combined with a very loud exhaust is why I have still not been able to decide whether to buy it or not. Having taken a couple of test drives, the overall driving experience is marred by the brakes which kick in late and hence are abrupt in application. The other issue as you said is the exhaust note. On the outside it is louder than 2014 Twist, however, it is quieter than Twist on the inside. However, this is not something I cannot live with. The real issue is with the brakes.

If the issue with the brake is addressed, I don't find any reason to not to buy a NANO AMT. It is a great VFM product - offers ample legroom, headroom, elbow-room, bone-chilling AC and a 4-speaker music system. It is quite inside and the quality of interiors - be it seats, dashboard, everything is good for the price. And at around 335000 on-road in my city, it makes a lot of sense. While writing this, I am inclining further towards buying it
Old 1st June 2015, 15:15   #186
BHPian

This is my first post on the site though I've been reading it for years now.
Great review on a car that I've been very keenly looking forward to. Rated 5-stars.

I'm surprised why so many persons think this car is good only for the wife. I don't want to raise questions about sexism (or misplaced machismo).

Also, this kind of a car is not a weekend or grocery-run car for me. The reason I'm keen on this car is for myself as my primary vehicle for commuting. Currently I drive a 2006 Toyota Corolla and there are days my left knee just hates me. The Nano GenX gives me an option of a nice efficient car for my commute for approximately the same price as a knee operation costs today. For most of my commute, my only company is my lunch box and I'm pretty sure the Nano is good enough to swallow it up. I'm waiting for the TD vehicle to come and for me to make up my mind on whether it is good enough.

As for comparing it with Alto, Celerio etc I would just say that a new Nano GenX is cheaper than a 3 year old A-star / i10 auto versions. Also, I already have a car when I need to ferry the kids (strapped in their car seats thank you) or go down to lonavala for the mountain mist.

The Nano meets (on paper) all of my needs from it.
aptiwa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 15:20   #187
BHPian

Just had a word with dealer Macro Ventures Mohali regarding the AMC on XTA. He said whereas the AMC was available for 3048 for 2014 Twist, for XTA it would cost me more than 11000. When asked why, he said it is the company that decides the prices for AMC. The sales rep also suggested me not to go for it as it is not worth.

Can anyone give me some input on this? Is it TATA that decides the cost of AMC? If I buy NANO XTA should I got for AMC at this price? Will it make sense?

In addition, they have also increased the handling costs from 3000 to 6000. Does AMT needs special handling (fragile kind of)??
Old 1st June 2015, 15:35   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Sadly true - they lost a booking solely due to this. One of my relative was sold on this and booked (also sold his car in anticipation of taking delivery of his Nano soon) but since the dealer is still clueless about the delivery timeline, cancelled his booking and brought a Liva.

--Anoop

It seems the deliveries will start on the 15th. 40+ bookings in one showroom itself, for the auto variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster_chd View Post

If the issue with the brake is addressed, I don't find any reason to not to buy a NANO AMT. It is a great VFM product - offers ample legroom, headroom, elbow-room, bone-chilling AC and a 4-speaker music system. It is quite inside and the quality of interiors - be it seats, dashboard, everything is good for the price. And at around 335000 on-road in my city, it makes a lot of sense. While writing this, I am inclining further towards buying it
Exactly. Noise is not a problem inside at all, and outside noise will get drowned in traffic, so it's a non issue for me.

Brakes, yes, but the positives outweigh the negatives. Only option is to drive slower, which I think is a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptiwa View Post
This is my first post on the site though I've been reading it for years now.
Great review on a car that I've been very keenly looking forward to. Rated 5-stars.

I'm surprised why so many persons think this car is good only for the wife. I don't want to raise questions about sexism (or misplaced machismo).

Also, this kind of a car is not a weekend or grocery-run car for me. The reason I'm keen on this car is for myself as my primary vehicle for commuting. Currently I drive a 2006 Toyota Corolla and there are days my left knee just hates me. The Nano GenX gives me an option of a nice efficient car for my commute for approximately the same price as a knee operation costs today. For most of my commute, my only company is my lunch box and I'm pretty sure the Nano is good enough to swallow it up. I'm waiting for the TD vehicle to come and for me to make up my mind on whether it is good enough.

As for comparing it with Alto, Celerio etc I would just say that a new Nano GenX is cheaper than a 3 year old A-star / i10 auto versions. Also, I already have a car when I need to ferry the kids (strapped in their car seats thank you) or go down to lonavala for the mountain mist.

The Nano meets (on paper) all of my needs from it.
I agree with your outlook. I'm currently using a remapped Figo TDCi, and the nano will be replacing it as my daily drive. Simply because, that's pretty much all I need. Makes no sense losing a lot of money on the figo on selling it and no interesting automatic less than 15 lakh. Anything more expensive than that is a waste in city traffic.

High seating, good gc, brilliant ac, and compact dimensions make it perfect for city. Now with the Amt, it's just about perfect.

Another point to note is that a 3yr old i10 at can be had at the same price or cheaper, but the mileage will make you cringe.

Quote:
Just had a word with dealer Macro Ventures Mohali regarding the AMC on XTA. He said whereas the AMC was available for 3048 for 2014 Twist, for XTA it would cost me more than 11000. When asked why, he said it is the company that decides the prices for AMC. The sales rep also suggested me not to go for it as it is not worth.

Can anyone give me some input on this? Is it TATA that decides the cost of AMC? If I buy NANO XTA should I got for AMC at this price? Will it make sense?

In addition, they have also increased the handling costs from 3000 to 6000. Does AMT needs special handling (fragile kind of)??
Amc is 11k for 4 years. 2 years is 3xxx and 4xxx for 3years. This is for the gold Amc.

What I understood is that gold Amc lets you change parts like brake pads, etc at any time based on wear, whereas the silver pack let's you change them only during scheduled services.

Handling charges are approx 2500 in cochin. Will confirm in the evening.
JayD is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 18:00   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Well put in a turbo charger, bump up the power to max it can get out of 800cc(I figure around 100bhp should be doable with modern tech), give discs and slightly bigger tires.

It can cost 1.5L more. But its going to be the fastest thing on roads, embarrassing even 20L+ sedans.

Nano could be used to experiment with some cool niche launches - convertible, 2-seater sport, driver in the middle arrangement

the possibilities (and the money needed) are limitless
Old 1st June 2015, 18:23   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Has anyone in this forum from Bangalore taken a delivery of AMT ? I understand that deliveries were made in Pune last week.
I was wondering the same too. Have booked the AMT in Royal Gold from KHT one day after the prices were out. Wifey wanted the Persian Rose Dealer has promised me delivery in 20 days even though officially it is a month. Eagerly waiting to lay my hands on it. Moreover the buyer for my 2014 twist is after my skin now. The on road price without AMC is 3.58 lakhs at KHT. I wonder why there is a difference in prices between dealers.
Old 1st June 2015, 19:34   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
Its a switch usually connected behind the Foot Brake (not break) lever, that gets pressed when you press the brake. This switch when pressed gives an indication to the ECU that the driver is pressing the brakes. The ECU uses this information to do further actions (e.g. ABS actuation etc). In older vehicles, this switch is used only to switch on the brake lights.
I have been a veteran of 4 Nanos, the first one in December 2009, & latest one acquired in 2013. Naturally, I am somewhat of a favourite with the Tata dealers, so the AMT was sent for a test drive (fro KHT Motors Bangalore). The car was in red, looked really well made, and a vast improvement from the 2013 one, as far as fit, finish & materials are concerned.
The AMT worked well within reason. It will take away some of the "punch" but if you need to do some "point & suquirt" driving, you can easily shift to manual mode by a push on the gear lever. The ride was totally transformed, where the earlier Nano was harsh on road undulations, the new one seems spring with variable compression coil springs on the rear. The power steering is a dream. My only regret is the absence of front discs, the brakes always have been a source of concern in all the past Nanos.
I have booked mine in white (I was told there are over 400 bookings in red !!) I expect delivery in the next fortnight, and so will start another affair with a new Nano soon.
Will keep this thread posted.
Old 2nd June 2015, 14:25   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
JayD - In Kottayam, dealer's commitment is 6 weeks for delivery post order formalities.

Sadly Cochin dealer is clueless on what is going on like when I called first for a test drive.

AMC for 11k looks too much for NANO. But no scope for negotiation or offers at this stage as it seems. I am offered 20K as exchange bonus against my Alto. And two years Gold AMC free for corporate purchases.

Anyways I have made up my mind to buy the NANO XMA. But thinking if I should wait for couple of months more or just buy it immediately.

Last edited by jacs : 2nd June 2015 at 14:28.
Old 2nd June 2015, 14:42   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Anyways I have made up my mind to buy the NANO XMA.
Why XMA, why not XTA? It will cost you just 20k more and has music system, central locking, fog lamps, heater, front power windows, remote keyless entry, and more.
Old 2nd June 2015, 15:15   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why XMA, why not XTA? It will cost you just 20k more and has ......... front power windows, .................
Only front power windows?
Old 2nd June 2015, 15:25   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Only front power windows?
yeah! only front power windows. You can check out the features of NANO GenX here at http://www.tatanano.com/genx-nano-features.html under Comfort & Convenience tab. For the price I believe NANO offers a lot more than its key competitors - Eon & Alto Siblings.
jeepster_chd is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks