Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2016, 13:00   #766

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
As Sawyer mentioned do try a couple of permutation combination for the seat to steering distance and the recline angle. If it still doesnt work take some time to take the car to a local upholstery shop to add firm cushion padding for under thigh and lower back lumbar support to exactly suit your preference. (One of my friends did this for his Thar which also has fairly uncomfortable flat front driver and passenger seats and is now happy with the results. See this link for a photo of the post padding seat:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post3577766 )

In other news our Nano XTA Silver booked in November is at the Dealer Yard and am waiting for a chance to inspect and give go ahead for the registration. Pongal holidays at the RTO may delay the delivery till Monday the 18th of January.

Suddenly realized that the Nano at 600cc is 1/4th the engine capacity of my 2.5L Thar :-). Just blew my mind.

Thanks sjcherian and Sawyer. it is not so much the knees that the person in the back seat i am worried about, as you rightly said, it only would happen if the person is taller than six feet or as in my case when my kids were playfully pushing his legs just to irritate me
But as a result of his pranks though i realised that the seats are very thin and without much cushioning and padding. Just today, i resurrected an old cushion that we used to have for short people which we used in our old Maruti Omni van, will try that one.
The seat backs are at a slightly bigger angle going back though, i mean most seats are that way, but this one is a little bit more than other cars. Another thing could be the over-inflated tyres from the dealership which might be causing the extra bumpy and hence painful ride, will try setting the tyre pressure on a priority as recommended earlier.

sjcherian congrats on your purchase and god speed.
Btw my registration here at the RTO is still pending beyond 15 days, so i am still driving the baby around with the TC license plates
Old 13th January 2016, 16:18   #767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakha_bhau View Post
Done close to 500 kms so far. Overall doing good so far. The one big gripe is the seats are very uncomfortable both the driver and the co-passenger one ( the back seats are somehow better ). I mean they do not have any back rest, today i tried to asses the problem and it seems in trying to cut down costs TML has decided to have only a flimsy pad with springs inside the seats. If the passenger in the back seat so much as touches the front seat one can feel the knees poking the drivers back. Do other people face any challenges with the seats ( are they as flimsy/similar for everyone? ) Both me and my wifey are facing serious back pain issues due to the seats, both of us have been driving different make model cars for the past 20 years and never faced this kind of issue with any other car. It is almost to a point where we are having second thoughts about our purchase.
Please help us if someone has made any modifications to the car. Thanks
May be you can also try backrest cushion like: http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00T...ilpage_o04_s00

I'm using it in my Celerio and even occasionally in my Cedia.
It gives very good lower back support.
Old 13th January 2016, 16:40   #768
Senior - BHPian

There is a range of tyre pressures specified in the manual, I keep mine at the lowest end of the range because that is a more comfortable ride. I still get about 16-17 km to the litre in the city with the AC on all the time, and I don't need more at the cost of ride comfort.

PS: Cushioning/padding isn't going to solve your problem, if you are getting a backache; the reason for that is inadequate support for the small of the back. Often too much cushioning is the cause of backaches. If you find that when you are in the seat the small of your back, just at the belt line isn't fully supported by the seat back, that is a problem. You need to find something that will fill that space and a soft cushion isn't the answer for that, something that is firm and won't yield to pressure is needed. The small of the back needs to be in full and firm contact with the seat back at all times.

Last edited by Sawyer : 13th January 2016 at 16:46. Reason: PS
Old 13th January 2016, 16:48   #769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
There is a range of tyre pressures specified in the manual, I keep mine at the lowest end of the range because that is a more comfortable ride. I still get about 16-17 km to the litre in the city with the AC on all the time, and I don't need more at the cost of ride comfort.

PS: Cushioning/padding isn't going to solve your problem, if you are getting a backache; the reason for that is inadequate support for the small of the back. Often too much cushioning is the cause of backaches. If you find that when you are in the seat the small of your back, just at the belt line isn't fully able to be supported by the seat back, that is a problem.
Sawyer thanks, i will go according to your recommendation. Right now though with 500kms on her i am getting 14 kmpl with her, although i am sort of getting the hang of it as to how best to driver her to get maximum mileage out of her, sometimes though i need a little OOMPH and i do not care about the mileage. Although using the word OOMPH with this car is quite brave

On a different note I was wondering why TML did not provide a CNG option with this model, similar to their earlier eMax avataar. Was that model a failure? would there be challenges? I feel it would be awesome to have the CNG option with AMT.
Old 20th January 2016, 09:26   #770
BHPian

To cut a long story short. I was promised a chance to inspect before registration and delivery on Tuesday. Got to see the vehicle in the yard yesterday after making lot of fuss. (Didn't get to drive but everything as per usual checklist looked fine).
Dealership didn't do pre-registration paperwork in time - so we didn't get delivery yesterday.

The experience with Tata pre-sales till this point was nice. However the lack of planning from the dealership towards the registration and delivery is frustrating - very easily they could have planned to get things ready from their side knowing the RTO holidays and steps required for the paperwork.

Have been promised registration will be done today and delivery in the evening. Waiting with my fingers crossed.
sjcherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 20:28   #771
BHPian

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Whenever I start the vehicle in 1st gear, I am hearing a screech sound similar to one id ac is not working properly in old vehicles. Is this a serious issue? Will be taking for a long ride this weekend

Edit: no sound after going out now for 2 times. Seems like the rains might have caused the sound.

Last edited by sairamboko : 21st January 2016 at 20:36.
Old 23rd January 2016, 19:44   #772
BHPian

Took delivery of "Sylvie" on Jan 20th. Dealership took charge and made sure I was happy with the registration and the delivery. Dealership manager and staff were present at the delivery time and made sure everything went off smoothly and quickly. It was a good experience and really made me forget the frustration of the previous day.

Got to know from the dealership after taking delivery that Tata Motors staff were watching this thread and had logged a ticket and asked them to explain what the issue was. Hats off to both Tata and the dealership for this. True power of T-BHP.

Drove to office and back on Jan 22nd after the plates were fixed(total distance of 50Km). Enjoyed the drive with the AMT in normal Auto mode and stayed relaxed and under 60 all the way with gentle acceleration and braking. I stayed in the middle lane and let all the speeders go by. AC was getting too cold even at blower position 1 and had to shut it off at intervals. IFE was hovering around 15 with gentle accelerator input and would shoot up all the way till 40 while it was coasting. Getting several ideas to try a series of experiments on FE with the car.

Friends at work who knew I got the Nano were given a short ride in the office complex and they were pleasantly surprised by the little car's interior space and features available. Shifts of the AMT though perceptible to the me the driver were not felt by the passengers.

Did some local running around today with the car and enjoyed it. Got the floor mats and mudflaps today and also got a car cover as well.

Here is one photo taken on Thursday morning before the plates were fixed (my Swift is in the background). Phone is now filled with "Sylvie" photos . Planning to start a dedicated thread with more photos.
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_20160121_080401toupload.jpg
sjcherian is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2016, 20:10   #773
BHPian

Congratulations! Car looks like a million bucks:-)

2 suggestions: get used to the different braking of the XTA compared to the Swift. Secondly, change the horn to something like the Skoda horns, but at the dealership so as to keep your 4 year warranty intact:
http://www.amazon.in/Minda-Black-Tru.../dp/B00S9P9KTU
john doe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2016, 20:28   #774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Congratulations! Car looks like a million bucks:-)

2 suggestions: get used to the different braking of the XTA compared to the Swift. Secondly, change the horn to something like the Skoda horns, but at the dealership so as to keep your 4 year warranty intact:
http://www.amazon.in/Minda-Black-Tru.../dp/B00S9P9KTU
Thanks. Am used to poor brakes in the Thar so this one was actually not very difficult to get used to. Horn will think about changing as soon as this one dies. I use the horn very little as it is.
Old 25th January 2016, 14:33   #775

So yesterday I got a new pair of Hella Spirit horn installed as a replacement for the factory fitted one. It sounds better, got em for Rs. 650. Also got jute+rexine/faux leather seat covers for Rs. 3800/- from carax a local accessories store here in Balewadi.
Old 25th January 2016, 17:01   #776
BHPian

I booked the XTA variant for my wife, on the 16th. I wanted delivery on 28th Jan. I made all the payments, I was told a PDI would be arranged on Monday 25 Jan - today. I was informed - after ra few reminder calls to the sales person - the PDI can only be done on Thursday 28th and then it will go to the RTO same day for registration - provided alls well - then delivery will be made same day, Thursday evening. Trust "sales force" to make false promise and they will deliver 😀, on the false promise but the promise. I will now wait for the result on Thursday. Hoping for the best, I was hoping I would gift the car for her Birthday.
Old 25th January 2016, 17:52   #777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jred View Post
I booked the XTA variant for my wife, on the 16th. I wanted delivery on 28th Jan. I made all the payments, I was told a PDI would be arranged on Monday 25 Jan - today. I was informed - after ra few reminder calls to the sales person - the PDI can only be done on Thursday 28th and then it will go to the RTO same day for registration - provided alls well - then delivery will be made same day, Thursday evening. Trust "sales force" to make false promise and they will deliver 😀, on the false promise but the promise. I will now wait for the result on Thursday. Hoping for the best, I was hoping I would gift the car for her Birthday.
Usually they will not take the vehicle out of the stock yard so be prepared to go there. Also an attestation needs to be done to take the vehicle for registration. You need to fill forms for it. Also insurance needs to be done. Doubtful for all of it to happen on same day and registration as well. Just been through the process last week. Do check in detail and make sure.
Old 25th January 2016, 18:20   #778
BHPian

What's the waiting period for the Nano AMT now? Few months back, it was running about 3-4 months. Has it come down now?
Old 25th January 2016, 20:25   #779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Usually they will not take the vehicle out of the stock yard so be prepared to go there. Also an attestation needs to be done to take the vehicle for registration. You need to fill forms for it. Also insurance needs to be done. Doubtful for all of it to happen on same day and registration as well. Just been through the process last week. Do check in detail and make sure.

Thanks Sjcherian; I was wondering about it myself. Well, looks like this is not going to be a smooth sail for me .

Let's see, sometimes you end up in situations where you are in a dilemma whether to be mad or resign to the predicament. In this case I made a mistake of asking for some discount, which was honoured and apparently that's what has caused the delay - owing to some approval requirements which was not passed on to the respective department.
Old 25th January 2016, 23:45   #780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
horn upgrade ( i briught horn outside but asked dealrship to fit it so as not to face any warranty issue).
Nanolover, could kindly share the specs of your upgraded horn - is this the usual 12V & 5A/6A (max) power rated one ?
Did you also have to couple the new horn with a relay ?

I am compelled to ask this because I'm unable to find the power-ratings of the factory shipped horn with the car.
My pug is on her way & hence, the lust to upgrade to a dual-tone Skoda-type horn. Horn upgrade is an absolute
necessity for a city plagued with ossified cab drivers creating ruckus on our roads.

Last edited by tabrez : 25th January 2016 at 23:54. Reason: Changed the amperage option

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks