Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2016, 23:26   #751
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM_aravind View Post
I had taken the AMT on a long drive to Ooty and I happen to cross the 1000Km mark on the way and i wanted to get the oil changed as fast possible as the manual and the sales guy had told me before handing the car.I was afraid that it would void the warranty if not done on time.

So I dropped into the Tafe Access TATA ASS and got a engine oil change. But they changed the oil filter as well. Also because I was not carrying my service manual, free service didn't apply to this service and I ended up paying 1580Rs from my pocket with a free service and AMC in my name.

I insisted that I would give them the number in the free service coupon required which might help them in logging the service as free service but was informed that they couldn't do it without the hardcopy.

Does it always work this way or was i just ripped off for being an outsider in Ooty?
AFAIK, carrying the service coupon is mandatory at all. As long as the service center is an authorised Tata Motors service center, they will be able to access your car's entire history via their internal software and they would have been able to see that your car is eligible for the free service.

Please take this up strongly with Tata Motors customer support and if nothing works out, do shoot an email to Mayank Pareek or even Cyrus Mistry.
Old 2nd January 2016, 23:59   #752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I dropped into the Tafe Access TATA ASS and got a engine oil change. But they changed the oil filter as well. Also because I was not carrying my service manual, free service didn't apply to this service and I ended up paying 1580Rs from my pocket with a free service and AMC in my name.

I insisted that I would give them the number in the free service coupon required which might help them in logging the service as free service but was informed that they couldn't do it without the hardcopy.

Does it always work this way or was i just ripped off for being an outsider in Ooty?
Oil filter is always changed when the oil is changed.

The charge is blatant cheating. They don't need any document at all, all the details are in their cloud.

This horrible cheatful attitude of the service center is what makes TASS a gamble. Thanks for sharing this incident, its tells ALOT on how the parent company has failed instil fear in the A.S.C's.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 06:42   #753
Senior - BHPian

The problem may be that the service centre can get paid for the free service by TML only against a cancelled free service coupon.

You will still get free services on unused coupons, provided you get them done before time limits expire.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 07:37   #754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakha_bhau View Post

2. As for the AFE I meant my Indica Vista Safire which is a Fiat Petrol engine. Also the claimed AFE on this car pales in comparison to the Alto, Eon, Kwid's of this world even in the manual variant. Could this be due to the two cylinder engine?

3. Thanks for tyre pressure and alignment info i will get them checked and fixed if required. Whats the best recommended values considering road grip and also AFE.
When you spend time in traffic idling away or just crawling, the mileage of Tata Nano or another car with a 5000 cc engine will be just the same. But the difference comes in when Nano gets an opportunity to keep moving at a decent speed for example 20 to 30km/h in gears 2 and above. It makes up the lost figure pretty quickly if you are light on the accelerator. With my experience other cars cannot make up this loss as quickly. They need a real free stretch and higher speeds to make up. That being said yes, the GenX is lesser efficient than the outgoing variants probably due to more weight and different tuning. Also you can use the IFE bar to extract max FE. Try to keep the bar above half mark as much as possible by accelerating to a steady speed quickly and then being light on the pedal.

I usually set my tyre pressure at 31 or 32 in the interests of FE while compromising a little bit on comfort. 28 the car is really comfortable and silent but does not accelerate quickly with a little drop in FE.

Quote:
I had taken the AMT on a long drive to Ooty and I happen to cross the 1000Km mark on the way and i wanted to get the oil changed as fast possible as the manual and the sales guy had told me before handing the car.I was afraid that it would void the warranty if not done on time.

Looks like you have been had! There is no requirement to change oil and oil filter in first service. The first mandated oil and filter change is only at 10000km. For first service you have till 1500km officially to get the service done. In case you cross that also you can just tell the SA to note down the reading as 1500km in his records because it is a genuine case of the mark crossing in a long drive. They would have done it to protect your warranty. It would have been better to come back and get it done.

But not to worry. Just think that for Rs 1500 you bought yourself your peace of mind. Just make sure that they have really noted in their system that you have done your first service on time and not just an oil change. Also suggest to keep your bills for reference in case some problem crops up later.

Last edited by alphahere : 3rd January 2016 at 07:43.
Old 3rd January 2016, 07:53   #755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
Looks like you have been had! There is no requirement to change oil and oil filter in first service. The first mandated oil and filter change is only at 10000km. For first service you have till 1500km officially to get the service done. In case you cross that also you can just tell the SA to note down the reading as 1500km in his records because it is a genuine case of the mark crossing in a long drive. They would have done it to protect your warranty. It would have been better to come back and get it done.

But not to worry. Just think that for Rs 1500 you bought yourself your peace of mind. Just make sure that they have really noted in their system that you have done your first service on time and not just an oil change. Also suggest to keep your bills for reference in case some problem crops up later.
I was actually told before hand that i will be charged for the oil when I left my car at the ASS. But then, as you said I wanted peace of mind, so I went ahead with the service.

There was some issue with their system and they gave me a receipt with their seal and signature stating that the service was done. They told me that the job will be updated on Monday and she would send me a mail after its done. Along with their billing system their pressure washing pump was also on leave and could not get a wash with the service.

You are right about the oil filter. The old oil filter had a print stating that it needed to be changed at only 10000Kms.
Old 5th January 2016, 23:23   #756
BHPian

Quote:
sairamboko thanks for the info. By the way today i went in to Concorde Motors Balewadi in Pune to hand over documents for registration and after i was done with that I casually asked for the extra remote. Now when I had gone in to get the delivery of the car they had given me a lame excuse saying there are some problems with pairing the second remote and only one can be paired at a time and the other one has to be unpaired etc. After i came back home and I read through the posts here I found out that someone has indeed got a working second remote. So armed with this newfound knowledge i insisted that I get the second remote today and they sold me one for Rs. 875/- and had it successfully paired. I guess they were just lazy on the day of delivery since it was late in the evening, this inspite of the fact that i had told them before hand that i need the extra remote.
Thanks
Hi sakha_bhau,
They charged me Rs. 2200.00 for the second remote so consider yourself very lucky.
On another subject could anyone give me the email address of Mr. Cyrus Mistry as I need to escalate a certain matter with him.
Thanks & Regards,
SS
Old 10th January 2016, 11:05   #757

Is it possible to convert from manual transmission to AMT to a nano ?
Old 10th January 2016, 11:10   #758
BHPian

Quote:
Wow! I can't believe the commitment from Tata ASS. I was there yesterday at Kudlu gate ASS. Oooooohhhh! Right! Yours is silver AMT right?
Yes, Mine is a silver colour nano.

Sorry for the delay guys, I was busy traveling hence could not update the thread. I got my nano back two weeks ago. They have replaced the entire AMT unit. Two engineers from Sanand plant have come and did the job. Here are two pictures I could take. The problem is a broken oil seal. As it was in warranty I was not charged anything. They also delivered on time and kept me updated with the progress. Overall I should say, they did a good job.

I am attaching two images just to get the idea of what is been replaced
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-amt_in_car.jpg  

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-amt_opened.jpg  

smiddela is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2016, 14:09   #759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiddela View Post
Yes, Mine is a silver colour nano.

Sorry for the delay guys, I was busy traveling hence could not update the thread. I got my nano back two weeks ago. They have replaced the entire AMT unit. Two engineers from Sanand plant have come and did the job. Here are two pictures I could take. The problem is a broken oil seal. As it was in warranty I was not charged anything. They also delivered on time and kept me updated with the progress. Overall I should say, they did a good job.

I am attaching two images just to get the idea of what is been replaced
The service advisor told me that there was an oil spill inside the cabin from the gear panel,when I asked what the issue was with your car!
Old 10th January 2016, 20:11   #760
BHPian

Attachment 1459099
Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
An update on my ac issue. Concorde called me and said they are working with Pune team on this. Seems some technical fault. They are hoping to give my car today evening or else they would give me a loaner car. So far so good with the response. Hope the issue is sorted out soon.

Sorry for the late update. Was busy. All the issues are fixed. The service levels are very much improved. I have to visit the service Center again , courtesy a small crack on my glass. Though its small, I am not willing to take any chances. Also wanted to know if seat covers for nano is available in black ? Planning to get one.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-image.jpeg  

Last edited by sairamboko : 10th January 2016 at 20:18. Reason: Added photo
Old 10th January 2016, 21:33   #761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Attachment 1459099

I have to visit the service Center again , courtesy a small crack on my glass. Though its small, I am not willing to take any chances. .
Better to go to a glass / windshield expert rather than the service Center. The former can actually repair to some extent, such cracks.

Quote:

You are right about the oil filter. The old oil filter had a print stating that it needed to be changed at only 10000Kms.
If you change the oil, it just makes sense to change the oil too! The filter costs what, 80 bucks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post

The charge is blatant cheating. They don't need any document at all, all the details are in their cloud.
AFAIK, the coupon is needed physically for the TASS to be reimbursed by Tata motors. I see nothing wrong with this particular case.
Old 10th January 2016, 21:35   #762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Better to go to a glass / windshield expert rather than the service Center. The former can actually repair to some extent, such cracks.

If you change the oil, it just makes sense to change the oil too! The filter costs what, 80 bucks?

AFAIK, the coupon is needed physically for the TASS to be reimbursed by Tata motors. I see nothing wrong with this particular case.

Wow!! Thanks for letting me know of it. Didn't know it can be repaired. Have a 3M CR 50 film installed last month. If the crack can be repaired, it would save the 3M film.
Old 12th January 2016, 22:33   #763

Done close to 500 kms so far. Overall doing good so far. The one big gripe is the seats are very uncomfortable both the driver and the co-passenger one ( the back seats are somehow better ). I mean they do not have any back rest, today i tried to asses the problem and it seems in trying to cut down costs TML has decided to have only a flimsy pad with springs inside the seats. If the passenger in the back seat so much as touches the front seat one can feel the knees poking the drivers back. Do other people face any challenges with the seats ( are they as flimsy/similar for everyone? ) Both me and my wifey are facing serious back pain issues due to the seats, both of us have been driving different make model cars for the past 20 years and never faced this kind of issue with any other car. It is almost to a point where we are having second thoughts about our purchase.
Please help us if someone has made any modifications to the car. Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 07:11   #764
Senior - BHPian

I have used many much more expensive cars over the last 40 years and I have no issues with Nano front seats - just to check out the capability I did a Goa and back drive in it once, and did not have any discomfort. Yes, the knees of the rear seater can push through, but there is so much leg space at the rear with the front seat set up for my six feet, that this doesn't happen in practice. I suppose it could happen with a six feet plus rear passenger.

Experiment with front seat to steering wheel distances and back rest angles to see if you can find a better place to be in. Short of carrying a stiff bolster, I can't see any alternatives.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 09:27   #765
BHPian

Quote:
Done close to 500 kms so far. Overall doing good so far. The one big gripe is the seats are very uncomfortable both the driver and the co-passenger one ( the back seats are somehow better ). I mean they do not have any back rest, today i tried to asses the problem and it seems in trying to cut down costs TML has decided to have only a flimsy pad with springs inside the seats. If the passenger in the back seat so much as touches the front seat one can feel the knees poking the drivers back. Do other people face any challenges with the seats ( are they as flimsy/similar for everyone? ) Both me and my wifey are facing serious back pain issues due to the seats, both of us have been driving different make model cars for the past 20 years and never faced this kind of issue with any other car. It is almost to a point where we are having second thoughts about our purchase.
Please help us if someone has made any modifications to the car. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I have used many much more expensive cars over the last 40 years and I have no issues with Nano front seats - just to check out the capability I did a Goa and back drive in it once, and did not have any discomfort. Yes, the knees of the rear seater can push through, but there is so much leg space at the rear with the front seat set up for my six feet, that this doesn't happen in practice. I suppose it could happen with a six feet plus rear passenger.

Experiment with front seat to steering wheel distances and back rest angles to see if you can find a better place to be in. Short of carrying a stiff bolster, I can't see any alternatives.
As Sawyer mentioned do try a couple of permutation combination for the seat to steering distance and the recline angle. If it still doesnt work take some time to take the car to a local upholstery shop to add firm cushion padding for under thigh and lower back lumbar support to exactly suit your preference. (One of my friends did this for his Thar which also has fairly uncomfortable flat front driver and passenger seats and is now happy with the results. See this link for a photo of the post padding seat:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post3577766 )

In other news our Nano XTA Silver booked in November is at the Dealer Yard and am waiting for a chance to inspect and give go ahead for the registration. Pongal holidays at the RTO may delay the delivery till Monday the 18th of January.

Suddenly realized that the Nano at 600cc is 1/4th the engine capacity of my 2.5L Thar :-). Just blew my mind.
sjcherian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks