Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2016, 08:27   #796
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Most owners have been posting directly to this thread. Do ask any questions you have.
I have no specific questions at the moment. It is just that an ownership report will carry all those minute details on a car which goes unreported by owners in the official review thread.

One of Nano' biggest shortcoming is how the car ages apparently. I just want to see if the GenX Nano is any different. And a ownership review is best for that.

I quite like the idea of adding a Nano AMT to the garage. But somehow my wife is still not too inclined. But we are not in a hurry. So, I need all info I can get. Following an ownership thread is the closest way to know about the experience of owning a specific car or variant.

And take your time. Its best to spend a few weeks/ months with the car before writing the ownership report.
Old 29th January 2016, 18:55   #797
BHPian

Well folks, I have managed to gift my wife the Nano today. I took the delivery early morning. No frills delivery, just the sales person and us.

Not a perfect moment but I noticed an issue. There was a minor scratch, a real small one, very hard to see though. The executive promised he will get that looked in to and fix it - I hope. I wrote a letter which stated the issue. I decided to take the delivery, as I didn't want that rather ignorable mishap ruin the moment for my wife.

In the melee the poor sales executive forgot to take the customary picture. He was too perturbed by the issue, trying to take picture evidence for his delivery team, with the camera he brought along to take our pictures. I was happy there was no other blemishes.

Well the drive home from showroom; it wasn't comfortable for me at the start, as I am used to a much bigger car. I noticed: there is rather obvious lag when it shifts from 2nd gear to 3rd. This is much more than the up shifts to other gears.
I was a bit nervous while stopping at inclines, there were a couple of them on my way home. I used the hand brakes and didn't want to experiment, the "pulling" power of the automatic.
With AC it does feel breathless to climb up from 40, but I guess this could be also because I was using light pressure on the foot.
Like many have observed, the brakes are something that may need to getting used to. It was spongy to start with and pretty much dead or so I felt. I think that's how drum brakes feel.
The AC is indeed quite strong, it gets cold pretty fast. Nothing uncomfortable, as I was too busy getting used to the automatic.

Although I must admit, it's very simple to drive and once you get used to driving it, it is going to be very comfortable too within city. My wife hadn't really driven it yet, not enough to enjoy it. She was too scared, but I think she will love it.

Sjcherian called his silver beauty, Sylvie but can't use that logic for Sangria Red, can I?

Can't seem to add pictures, will try from the laptop to add few later on.
Jred is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 21:26   #798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jred View Post
Well folks, I have managed to gift my wife the Nano today. I took the delivery early morning.
Congrats Jred on the Nano. Have fun with it and awaiting your photos. Am sure you will get used to it soon. Also am curious to see what name you come up for it.

I drove Sylvie through bad traffic yesterday evening and was happy for selecting the AMT. Today drove a total distance of around 60 km to office and for a doctor appointment.

Squeezing through gaps in standstill traffic like an auto does due to the short front&rear overhangs was fun. Parked in small spots where I know I could never park in my Swift or my Thar.

Even though I didn't want to do so for the first tankfull I ended up using the sport mode to merge into moving traffic at a couple of places. Switched it off as soon as I was done. Manual mode for steep ramps in the office parking building as well.

On a bad stretch of road surface it was able to make it through without feeling like it would come to pieces.

Trip meter now at 220 and DTE showing 80 km possible. Fuel gauge is now on the last bar (the red one). AFE says 13.8Kmpl for the trip. Will fuel up tomorrow most probably.

Last edited by sjcherian : 29th January 2016 at 21:27. Reason: Typos
Old 30th January 2016, 00:37   #799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jred View Post
Well folks, I have managed to gift my wife the Nano today.
Sjcherian called his silver beauty, Sylvie but can't use that logic for Sangria Red, can I?
Hi Jred,

Congrats on the new nano. Wishing you have many happy miles ahead.

Can I suggest the name Rose or Rosie to go with the colour and "sjcherians" logic?

Regards,
SS
Old 30th January 2016, 13:17   #800
BHPian

Have booked a Purple Nano AMT for the wify. Should get it next week around Wednesday (3rd Feb).

The experience has been a mixed bag. The dealership (Wasan Motors, Mumbai) has been lethargic, on the other hand interaction with TATA Customer Care has been super quick.

Even after a week Wasan could not give me a quote for 4 yr AMC saying they have not sold one yet, have written to TATA and waiting to hear back. One mail from me to Customer Care and the matter was closed in few hours.

Am finding the accessories prices very expensive. Wasan has quoted 18K for black alloys (so far have managed to negotiated it down to 15.8K) and remote boot opener for 4.2K! Have written to TATA asking for official price list, lets see if they send it.
Old 30th January 2016, 17:28   #801
BHPian

An update from my end folks. My XTA had arrived yesterday & today, I did a detailed PDI.
Pretty uneventful (thankfully) - the odo reads at 43kms & the body-panels, paint quality,
interior plastic & odd look in place & as per expectation. Karthik, who is Prerana's Manager
under Mr. Ranganath accompanied us to their stock-yard which is located in the vicinity. I
will let some of the pictures do the the talking

Current Odometer reading of my baby - their explanation for the slightly higher than expected
figure is that the car was driven down from their Peenya based stockyard, seemed credible
enough to me.
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_20160130_120405min.jpg

Dad & Mr. Mansoor (accessories manager - delving in some talk with respect to the AMT unit)
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_20160130_120317min.jpg

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_20160130_120323min.jpg

They (Prerana, Mr. Ranganath & team) have pretty much stuck to what was committed to me earlier.
No surprises there at all however, there has been a slight price revision on the NANO XTA (I was forewarned
of the same by the good Mr. Ranganath at the time of booking). So to all my brothers on the forum looking
forward to book this little gem, here's the revised price list along with the current month's trending offer from
TML

Ex-Showroom Price : Rs. 308697/-
Life Tax : Rs. 44545/-
Handling + Registration charges : Rs. 3000/-
Gold AMC (3years/30000KMs) : Rs. 5910/-
Accessories Cost : Rs. 33000/-

Offer/Discount: Free 1st Year Comprehensive Insurance from National India Assurance Company

I had the above insurance upgraded to Zero-Dep, bumper-2-bumper by paying an additional premium of
Rs.1402/-

Dad chose the upcoming Tuesday (2nd Feb, 2016) as the day of delivery. The RTO registration formalities
are expected to be wrapped by Monday evening. Looking forward to the delivery day - super excited.

Some thing even more exciting happened today but this isn't the right thread to make that update .
Will shortly do that on the Zica's thread (that post is going to take lot more of effort & a whole lot of
linguistics stroke to express the euphoria)
tabrez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2016, 08:08   #802
BHPian

Guys, has anyone got issues with the brakes ? My brakes get tight sometimes and needs to be pumped a few times to get it back to normal. The play reduces when this happens and it becomes hard right from the first position to push in. After forcefully pushing it in a few times it returns to normal. This happen mostly during turns. Any idea what this could be? Kudlu gate Service guys couldn't reproduce the issues so they had no idea what it was.
Old 31st January 2016, 09:01   #803
AAD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM_aravind View Post
Guys, has anyone got issues with the brakes ? My brakes get tight sometimes and needs to be pumped a few times to get it back to normal. The play reduces when this happens and it becomes hard right from the first position to push in. After forcefully pushing it in a few times it returns to normal. This happen mostly during turns. Any idea what this could be? Kudlu gate Service guys couldn't reproduce the issues so they had no idea what it was.

I believe the Nano has a rather smaller Vacuum booster and the limited vacuum boost available gets exhausted in bumper to bumper traffic E where one frequently brake.

For the vacuum to again build up, the car needs to run a bit without use of much braking say about 200-400 mtrs following which the boost pressure again builds up to normal.

My daughter has. A Nano XTA and I find a similar issue once in a while.

Trust this helps. Cheers
Old 31st January 2016, 09:56   #804
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez View Post
Current Odometer reading of my baby - their explanation for the slightly higher than expected figure is that the car was driven down from their Peenya based stockyard, seemed credible
enough to me.
Yes, that is indeed the case. So nothing to worry about it being driven.

Congrats on the car ! Wishing you a happy ownership of the car.
Was amazed by the way it can turn thru small spaces
Old 31st January 2016, 12:09   #805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Yes, that is indeed the case. So nothing to worry about it being driven.
Your concurrence is re-assuring.

Quote:
Congrats on the car ! Wishing you a happy ownership of the car.
Thanks Condor.

Quote:
Was amazed by the way it can turn thru small spaces
On similar notes, just to add to your observation I was also awed by the ride quality of a car riding on mere 12-inchers. I had an opportunity to take it on really broken road ([rant] thanks to Civic organizations in my city for providing such ideal situations to test both the suspension as well as the limit of endurance of human body. I am so enamored to pay my taxes [/rant]) & within acceptable speed limits, the rear bench is surprisingly comfortable.
tabrez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2016, 19:55   #806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAD View Post
I believe the Nano has a rather smaller Vacuum booster and the limited vacuum boost available gets exhausted in bumper to bumper traffic E where one frequently brake.

For the vacuum to again build up, the car needs to run a bit without use of much braking say about 200-400 mtrs following which the boost pressure again builds up to normal.

My daughter has. A Nano XTA and I find a similar issue once in a while.

Trust this helps. Cheers
AAD is right. But instead of running for 200 to 400 metres, I suggest the car be allowed to idle for about 10 seconds. Maximum vaccuum is generated from the inlet manifold at idling speeds. A longer lasting & permanent solution, which I am considering, is to install a small steel tank about 1.5 litres in capacity between the servo & the inlet pipe. This will enhance the vaccuum capacity & do away with this problem. I will keep you posted on this subject.
Old 1st February 2016, 07:18   #807
AAD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shramik View Post
AAD is right. But instead of running for 200 to 400 metres, I suggest the car be allowed to idle for about 10 seconds. Maximum vaccuum is generated from the inlet manifold at idling speeds. A longer lasting & permanent solution, which I am considering, is to install a small steel tank about 1.5 litres in capacity between the servo & the inlet pipe. This will enhance the vaccuum capacity & do away with this problem. I will keep you posted on this subject.

That would be an interesting DIY, Shramik. Do post pictures and share your experience once the job is done for us all to benefit from the same.

Wonder why Tata Motors can't come up with a solution like this. After all the Nano is positioned as an Urban runabout and everyone is aware of the bumper to bumper traffic conditions in our Metro cities.
Old 1st February 2016, 08:18   #808
Senior - BHPian

I suggest caution before such mods and a check with TML. I am not facing any such issue with my car.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 11:22   #809
BHPian

I feel the problem as described is More Of brake bleeding issue. Air pockets in the hydraulic fluid need to be bled so that when the brakes are applied, the feel of the brakes will be instant and as it should.
Old 1st February 2016, 12:23   #810
BHPian

I own the manual variant of Genx Nano XT. I have never faced the braking issues in mine. Infact the brake responds immediately and i had some scary moments and it didnt let me down. Is this problem only with AMT versions?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks