Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2015, 20:52   #706

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

There were early pointers to the pricing :
  • The market positioning as a "Premium" crossover
  • Removal of Ciaz from the Nexa showrooms (at least in Delhi) meant the Scross would be priced higher than the Ciaz
  • Marketing and creating hype around the 1.6 Alpha whereas expect the 1.3 to actually sell. All cars provided for official reviews were the 1.6 Alpha. This is a dirty old marketing trick.
  • Delaying the launch to after the Creta is launched - basically waiting to see how much one can rip

On the looks front, I had found the car looks understated and elegant. As others have pointed out the impression was that of a large hatch rather than the SUV/CUV types. Had also been left with a good feeling on the interiors.

I intend TD'ing both the 1.3 and 1.6 and looking at the boot space again very carefully to assess if it can accomodate 2 large suitacases for the airport runs. The 1.3 Alpha or the 1.6 Delta would possibly be my hunting ground looking at the pricing. Was hoping the 1.6 Zeta would be sub 12L. Anyways, it could be back to the Terrano XL(o) now although that too is overpriced in my opinion.

The Scross pricing across both 1.3 and 1.6 is definitely not VFM.
nashok is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 20:53   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The S-Cross' price and position show why Maruti has never succeeded in the premium segment. It's not the product that's ever been wrong, it's the marketing and strategy.
Its plain Ol' Greed GTO. Nothing Else. All these manufactures think that they can fool Indians into parting with their Hard Earned money by Fancy marketing and taglines. But they forget one important thing and that is; When it comes to buying a car we ALWAYS look for VFM because the money that we the Indian Middle Class earn is made the Hard Way!
Old 5th August 2015, 21:01   #708
BHPian

Duh - the top end model will cross 15L OTR in Bangalore. There goes the value proposition out of the door. Me, waiting for Abarth Punto pricing instead
Old 5th August 2015, 21:11   #709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Even the Creta doesn't get the excise cut as it is a 1.6L engine. Hyundai is already charging a premium for the Creta 1.6. Maruti have gone ahead and priced it above that!

Both the 1.3L and 1.6L and 4 cylinder engines. Even if you consider the import duties and premium for the 1.6L engine it should have been at a max 1.5 lakhs above the 1.3L engine. This would equate to an on road price of roughly 2L more for the DDiS 320 vs the DDiS320. That itself was high but justified and one can actually consider it.

With the 3 lakhs ex showroom premium for the 1.6L, Maruti have made the Creta appear VFM. The DDiS320 was advertised heavily. Media drives only had the DDiS320 and all were praising it. After the huge hype, Maruti tied a noose around the DDiS320 then pulled the chair from below with the pricing announcement.

I was quietly thinking of letting my Ecosport go if the DDiS320 was priced decently considering the better performance, additional space and better ride quality. Thanks to Maruti for removing that thought completely from my head. Less confusion in life and more to enjoy with the Ecosport.
Well if am not wrong Hyundai manufactures engine locally and is manufactured by Hyundai itself. Not the case with 1.6 Multijet, which is imported and is manufactured by Fiat. Also 1.6 Multijet scores a lot more than 1.6 CRDi, be it in terms of FE or performance. Again S Cross gets more equipment than Creta(Xenon lamps,Auto folding mirrors etc). So keeping looks aside, when it comes to real stuff, 15K premium for S Cross is ok according to me.
That said 4lac OTR premium for DDiS320 over DDiS200 is on the higher side, given that maruti has imported engine at a cost of 1.84lac per piece.

Ecosport seem a lot more VFM now. Also the SCross doenot look as intimidating on road as Ecosport which is not good after spending extra 4lacs.
Old 5th August 2015, 21:14   #710
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I sincerely wish Suzuki does to 320ddis what it did to the Inazuma 250. A 25% price cut too optimistic, aint I? Lol
But the Inazuma still didn't sell. Nor did the price dropped Jazz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsbabu View Post
Duh - the top end model will cross 15L OTR in Bangalore. There goes the value proposition out of the door. Me, waiting for Abarth Punto pricing instead
Actually should be closer to 17.5
Old 5th August 2015, 21:14   #711
Distinguished - BHPian

Nexa Accessories - S Cross.

Rear seat entertainment unit
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-capture.png
Display Navigation
Name:  Capture1.PNG
Views: 4448
Size:  332.7 KB
LED Door sill Guard
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-capture.2png.png
Child seat
Name:  Capture3.PNG
Views: 4696
Size:  468.1 KB
Cushion
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-capture5.png
Seat covers
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-capture4.png

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th August 2015 at 21:19.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 21:15   #712
BHPian

Quote:
the top end model will cross 15L OTR in Bangalore.
Just Cross 15L OTR? Just as its name, it's going to cross well over 16L after you factor in that its 10K more expensive than Delhi for the Ex Showroom price, plus insurance (about 48K - 50K) Plus handling and most importantly, the road tax of 16%.

I pre-booked the 1.6 Top end and was disappointed with the pricing. Very disappointed in fact. I am now thinking of test driving the 1.3 and checking if that will fit my bill. From the T-BHP review, it doesn't seem so. How I wish the T-BHP review about 1.3 was more comprehensive. I also drive in the ghats and good enough power is something that is very important for me.

It looks like S-Cross will be "crossed" from my list. Sigh! Why did you do this, Maruti? Why? I didn't expect Premium means this to you.

Looking at the 1.6L Creta SX+. It's just a notch over my budget and hopefully will be good enough for my needs. Going to read up RavenAvi's ownership reports now.

Last edited by sudeepg : 5th August 2015 at 21:18. Reason: Forgot to include additional info
sudeepg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 21:36   #713
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The price in Bangalore will be closer to 17.5L on road. The Creta is priced at 13.6 lakhs ex Delhi and on road bangalore is 17.1. Add 15k for S-cross plus extra state tax and exshowroom will be 14 lakhs. That means onroad close to 17.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Well if am not wrong Hyundai manufactures engine locally and is manufactured by Hyundai itself. Not the case with 1.6 Multijet, which is imported and is manufactured by Fiat. Also 1.6 Multijet scores a lot more than 1.6 CRDi, be it in terms of FE or performance.
Yes Hyundai now makes the 1.6L engine locally but not before. Same with VW/Skoda who used to import the 1.6TDI but now locally make the 1.5TDI. Ford still imports the 1.0L Ecoboost.

I don't think any of them priced the imported engine at such a premium.

Ford's 1.0L Ecoboost is priced only 40K more than the local 1.5L Ti-VCT. It loses one cylinder but gets a turbo and much more technology.

The Diesel is priced 70K more than the Ecoboost. VW's 1.2 TSI engine is only 2 lakhs more vs the locally built 1.2L 3 cylinder engine. The 2 lakhs extra is for the engine as well as the 7 speed DSG box!

Quote:
Again S Cross gets more equipment than Creta(Xenon lamps,Auto folding mirrors etc). So keeping looks aside, when it comes to real stuff, 15K premium for S Cross is ok according to me.
You forgot the Creta gets 6 airbags vs the S-cross which has only 2. The Creta gets ESP, hill hold and rear AC vents.

Would you prefer the xenon lights or the 6 airbags? And the Creta doesn't get xenon's but gets the static turning lights.

Quote:
That said 4lac OTR premium for DDiS320 over DDiS200 is on the higher side, given that maruti has imported engine at a cost of 1.84lac per piece.

Ecosport seem a lot more VFM now. Also the SCross doenot look as intimidating on road as Ecosport which is not good after spending extra 4lacs.
Exactly. The 3 lakhs is completely unjustified. The Ecosport suddenly feels like a bargain!
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 21:41   #714
BHPian

Cars are being priced so insanely these days, that even with a budget of 10L a person can only the buy the top variants of i20 or Jazz and that too only petrol, all the other cars require some kind of compromise , the Sigma 1.3 S Cross costs 10.3OTR in Mumbai, why would anyone spend so much for a bare bones version of an overgrown hatch.

It seems all the car manufacturers or atleast some of them have formed a cartel and are pricing cars exorbitantly to increase profits and give little choice to the customers.
chirag08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 21:42   #715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi99 View Post
Sounds good buddy!

Luckily for you the OTR price is 13.75 while in Mumbai it is about 14.82. I am trying to convince myself to go for it along the same lines but spending 1.5 mil for something that doesnt have the basic features, not sure what should I do.
Indians had already started spending 1.5 mil for ill equipped Duster from 2012, that too for a logan-engined car with a VGT and poor mileage.
Old 5th August 2015, 21:45   #716
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is how the Maruti-Suzuki S-Cross stacks up against it's immediate competition:

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-untitled.gif

I have thrown in the Ford EcoSport's prices as an added bonus.

Points of Note:

- Only the Hyundai Creta and the Mahindra Scorpio offer diesel automatic variants.

- Only the Renault Duster and the Mahindra Scorpio offer AWD variants.

- Only the Mahindra Scorpio comes with an AWD + AT variant.

- Only the Ford EcoSport has a petrol automatic variant.
RavenAvi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 21:49   #717
AWD
BHPian

Whop whop..what was Maruti thinking, Im not even going to check this car out now! As someone mentioned, Ertiga which I never bothered to see looks much more VFM. I mean it must cost Maruti almost similar to produce both, customer ain't foolish to pay Lakhs more just like that!

With the 1.6L engine I think, the production must be low so Maruti deliberately priced it higher. But they will burn seeing Creta taking the crown & ruling the segment.

Well for me, Im looking for Scorpio, XUV & Eco-Sport now.

Poor-poor pricing by Maruti.
Old 5th August 2015, 21:52   #718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The price in Bangalore will be closer to 17.5L on road. The Creta is priced at 13.6 lakhs ex Delhi and on road bangalore is 17.1. Add 15k for S-cross plus extra state tax and exshowroom will be 14 lakhs. That means onroad close to 17.5.
17.5L for 5 -seater car that too from Maruti is too much. People will laugh. i am thinking some little bit stretch in budget,wait for Fortuner or Trailblazer for full SUV ( hope they wont price as 30+)

Last edited by Vid6639 : 5th August 2015 at 21:56. Reason: fixing the quote tags. Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 21:57   #719
Distinguished - BHPian

Dropped in at Bimal Nexa to check out the Scross.

Nexa Experience.
  • The showroom looked premium and the SA's were all well dressed- Complete with suit and tie.
  • As already mentioned here, the SA's have been hired from other premium industries and that was visible. All of them looked quite senior.
  • Had a good understanding of the car, variants and features.
  • Carried around an iPad.
  • Did not ask any of the key questions like which variant I was looking for, what time frame was I looking at etc..

The SCross.
  • Looked very unappealing to me. The side view seemed the best and showed the cars length. Other profiles seemed ordinary. Not a car you would give a 2nd look on the road.
  • As already discussed, interior quality was good and the touch screen unit looked neatly integrated.
  • The front seats seemed quite narrow to me. Felt like I could just fit in.
  • Rear space was good, but nothing wow about it. Seemed less than the Jazz. The Jazz has the 'wow inducing kind of space.
  • Since the width is similar to the Ecosport, felt like the 3rd passenger in the rear would not be very comfortable. The middle hump and protruding center made it feel that the person sitting in the center would be cramped.
  • Boot space again seemed average considering the length of the car.
  • TD's expected to start from tomorrow. After seeing the car and hearing the prices, had no interest in a TD.

Summary
Overall, to me, Considering the choices available at the prices it is being offered at- a very average car in most aspects., I frankly do not see any good reason/USP for one to buy this car. On top of it, no Petrol and no Automatic.

The Nexa Experience-Well, nothing to complain about, but somehow got the feel that Maruti have got it all wrong. I would have preferred a more enthusiastic and personal approach as opposed to a total premium luxury experience.

Note: Purely my personal perspective.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 22:20   #720

The way I see it, Creta 1.6 and Scross 1.6 top variants will loose to anyone willing to stretch to XUV W8, the XUV being more VFM.

The Duster RXL could possibly loose some ground to Scross 1.3 Delta, and the Scross 1.3 Alpha and Delta could loose ground to Ecosport Titanium. the Ecosport Titanium being more VFM.

Looking at the value propositions above, the only customers for the Scross 1.6 would be the hard core enthusiasts, and the only customers for the Scross 1.3 would be the hard core MS loyalists desiring the awesome Maruti After Sales and Service. Note that Maruti has only imported 3000 1.6 engines.

Therefore I dont expect the Scross to fetch any sizeable numbers other than some decent figures for 1.3 Delta.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks