Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2015, 22:39   #721
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
I think you are over reacting a lot. Just because it's not as aesthetic as others,the people who buy this are blind?
I'm sorry about the word blind but what I meant was someone who is blind to aesthetics. I mean when you pay 15-16 big ones, is it too much to expect a good looking car? How hard is it for these guys to make a good looking car? If Hyundai can do it with Creta, can't MUL do it with S-Cross? Heck, Etios cross looks so much better. Those bland looks AND that price? And at a time when you have Creta on hand? MUL has lost its mind. Already Ciaz is hitting new lows month after month. Do you think S-Cross will get anywhere? It will follow A-Star, Estilo and Ritz. In fact MUL's own Ertiga makes more sense, less price and more seats. And what is that S-Cross can do which Elite i20 and Jazz cannot do. The latter cost much less and look infinitely better. Swift itself costing half the sum looks infinitely better, with 10 year-old design.

Last edited by Technocrat : 6th August 2015 at 23:33. Reason: Quoted post has been edited for personal references, so removing the response, thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 22:43   #722
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashok View Post
Therefore I dont expect the Scross to fetch any sizeable numbers other than some decent figures for 1.3 Delta.
Maruti too plays low on its projections as I see this is just to mark their presence in this segment.They seem to develop SUV's and sedans based on this platform to add on to the volumes.

Quote:
Since the S-Cross is developed on a new platform, many new models can be further developed on this platform of a similar size
Quote:
Since the S-Cross will be retailed at only 35 Nexa outlets to start with and their number is to be ramped up to 100 only by March 2016, sales of the crossover are expected to be limited initially but once the network is expanded sales of 4,000 units per month are the target.
http://www.autocarpro.in/news-nation...g-premium-9015
Old 5th August 2015, 22:47   #723
BHPian

I think Maruti is testing waters with new 1.6 engine. If this engine gets into Ciaz and Ertiga, the pricing will be key. If they price it @ 1.5 lac premium more than the 1.3 ddis, it will look value for money compared to S Cross.

I read somewhere in this forum Maruti are not looking for numbers from S Cross.
Old 5th August 2015, 22:53   #724
Team-BHP Support

1,6 L engine costs around Rs 2,5 Lac to Maruti of which about Rs 30,000 duties ( CVD ) are refundable implying net cost of Rs 2,2 lac & Excise on cars over 1,5 L is probably about 4 % higher . If we add all extras like Sales Tax 12 % , Excise 30 % on the difference between1,3 & 1,6 costs this alone will be about Rs 2 lac , considering cost of production of 1,3 L around Rs 75,000 -85000 .

1,3 Ltr costs much less to produce as Maruti / Fiat gets major parts from Indian companies which are mostly Local factories of MNC or are producing under licence . I always anticipated this difference higher than 2 lac - perhaps its higher by 25-40,000 .

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...e-38-a-22.html
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-screen-shot-20150805-10.39.28-pm.png  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-screen-shot-20150805-10.39.54-pm.png  

Last edited by Turbanator : 5th August 2015 at 22:59.
Turbanator is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 22:57   #725
BHPian

There goes my Scross. Cancelling my booking soon. This is ridiculous pricing for the 1.6. Now my search for SX4 replacement will continue.
Old 5th August 2015, 23:01   #726
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwa View Post
I think Maruti is testing waters with new 1.6 engine. If this engine gets into Ciaz and Ertiga, the pricing will be key. If they price it @ 1.5 lac premium more than the 1.3 ddis, it will look value for money compared to S Cross.

I read somewhere in this forum Maruti are not looking for numbers from S Cross.
To test the waters, I would think the better option would be to start low and keep increasing. Renault followed this with the Duster and Ford did that with Ecosport. The Ecosport prices went up by 1.2 lakhs in less than 1 year till it stabilized.

Ford found people were ready to to pay for the Ecosport at launch price and kept increasing by 20-30K every coupled of months.

This way initial pricing attracts customers to the showroom even more important with Nexa.
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 23:07   #727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I'm sorry about the word blind but what I meant was someone who is blind to aesthetics. I mean when you pay 15-16 big ones, is it too much to expect a good looking car? How hard is it for these guys to make a good looking car? If Hyundai can do it with Creta, can't MUL do it with S-Cross? Heck, Etios cross looks so much better. Those bland looks AND that price? And at a time when you have Creta on hand? MUL has lost its mind. Already Ciaz is hitting new lows month after month. Do you think S-Cross will get anywhere? It will follow A-Star, Estilo and Ritz.
I do not find Innova good looking at all but it is segment leader due to it's other qualities and it is more than 15-16 big ones. Etios Cross is another ugly car but I think you got used to it's look.

Maruti did not design Scross after they saw Creta in market so they could not modify it after Creta's launch. It may follow A star, Estilo or Ritz but that will because of it's pricing and not because of it's look
sourabhzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 23:13   #728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
  • The showroom looked premium and the SA's were all well dressed- Complete with suit and tie.
  • As already mentioned here, the SA's have been hired from other premium industries and that was visible. All of them looked quite senior.
  • Had a good understanding of the car, variants and features.
  • Carried around an iPad.
  • Did not ask any of the key questions like which variant I was looking for, what time frame was I looking at etc..
I would have really preferred "thoughtful introductory pricing" rather than iPAD yielding, tuxedo-clad sales(wo)men, who apparently remember what kind of coffee I prefer or colour I like

MS could have simply revamped its existing dealer network to create a multi-tier approach to dealing with premium products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashok View Post
The Duster RXL could possibly loose some ground to Scross 1.3 Delta, and the Scross 1.3 Alpha and Delta could loose ground to Ecosport Titanium. the Ecosport Titanium being more VFM.
Completely agree. I'm simply not able to convince myself to pay 13 lakhs for the smaller specced Zeta at the opportunity cost of the EcoSport!
pannags is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 23:26   #729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Not exactly. The only thing the S-cross has extra over the Creta is xenon lights, auto lights and wipers and 4 wheel disc brakes.

In comparison the Creta for 14K lesser has 6 airbags, ESP, hill hold and rear AC vents.

I would rate the above features in Creta higher than the xenons and auto wipers/lights.
By that token the Creta is overpriced in all variants. Maruti has an excuse, it pays Fiat royalty on both the 1.3 and 1.6L engines, whereas Hyundai has chosen to price the Creta at par or slightly higher than the SCross 200 (in the 1.4L range) despite not having any such commitments. Also the SCross 200 Alpha price is being compared with a mid-spec Creta 1.4 - so you lose features and the engine.

Rear AC vents are honestly not required unless one is in a really large vehicle, in which case multiple-zone climate control will make a good case for itself as well. Hill-hold is not required, honestly - with the torque on offer and a decent hand-brake, I've never felt the need for hill-hold. Probably in an automatic (AMT or DSG)?

I'd rate the all wheel discs, auto headlamps and wipers, Cruise Control and engine (320 version) more than worth the small 14k premium over the top of the line Creta SX(O), and lack of the other features not even a major consideration.

However, I absolutely hate the alloys on the SCross. If I had been in the market for a car right now, I would have gone for the SCross over the Creta if their top models were in budget.

Agree with you on the service. Maruti and Hyundai are almost at par, so that's not going to be a differentiator between the two of them at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
Actually i thought the DDIS 200 is being compared to the 1.6sx creta realised later that it was being compared to the 1.4 Sx+

DDIS 200 would be my choice against the creta 1.4 sx+

On a separate note, since the SCross is already over two years old internationally, should we expect a shorter life cycle before a face lift for this model? Or will Maruti carry on with this in India, lagging the international model by a couple of years? Asking because I'll be due for a change in around 3 years, which should be around when they roll-out a face lift
VeluM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 23:42   #730
BHPian

The major blows/ drawbacks to the pricing of the DDIS 320 in comparison to the 1.6 creta SX (O) apart from the pricing itself is the absence of 6 airbags in the alpha variant and those horrible alloys. If Maruti would have given at least the 6 airbags maybe and just maybe the DDIS 320 could have had a fair fight.

The presence of the 6 speed AT in the creta further adds salt to the DDIS 320's fresh wounds.

I read somewhere that MSIL had delayed the launch of S cross for repositioning pricing after seeing the Creta's pricing debacle. So what did they reposition exactly?

Conversation at MSIL HO

Junior: Sir, the Creta is recieving a lot of flak for its pricing. What action do you suggest we should take?

Senior (while smoking some weird stuff) : what's the Creta priced at?

Junior: Sir, 13.6 for the top variant.

Senior: Oh jolly good then we should rethink our pricing. Delay the launch we need to jack the prices up as we are MSIL after all we never learn from our past disasters and don't you know overpricing is in the trend.

Junior: Sir, But

Senior: No buts since they wanted the 1.6 give it to them but make them pay for it ( evil laughter)

Last edited by rockporiom : 5th August 2015 at 23:45.
rockporiom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 00:15   #731
BANNED

My 2 cents: Now the low trim models of Jetta and Octavia looks Value for money when compared to top end 1.6 S Cross and 1.6 Creta..
siddutta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 00:27   #732
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
By that token the Creta is overpriced in all variants. Maruti has an excuse, it pays Fiat royalty on both the 1.3 and 1.6L engines, whereas Hyundai has chosen to price the Creta at par or slightly higher than the SCross 200 (in the 1.4L range) despite not having any such commitments. Also the SCross 200 Alpha price is being compared with a mid-spec Creta 1.4 - so you lose features and the engine.
Ofcourse! The Creta is grossly overpriced already. Check the Creta thread for my views and the discussion there on what others feel.

The S-cross 200 is not the problem and is priced reasonably for the features it offers. The Creta 1.4L engine variants are not VFM for sure vs the Scross 200.

The 1.6L Creta now appears VFM especially the SX(O) which gets the 6 airbags, ESP and other features. Ofcourse that too is priced higher but in relation to the DDiS 320 it starts making sense.

Hyundai have priced it as high as they felt they could with no thought of making it look VFM. The 1.6L engine being locally made should have been lesser. What's shocking is Maruti have gone and priced it above the Creta.

That 3 lakhs above the 1.3L DDiS200 is what I am not able to digest.

Quote:
Rear AC vents are honestly not required unless one is in a really large vehicle, in which case multiple-zone climate control will make a good case for itself as well. Hill-hold is not required, honestly - with the torque on offer and a decent hand-brake, I've never felt the need for hill-hold. Probably in an automatic (AMT or DSG)?
They are extremely useful. You will realise if you spend time at the back. Both my cars don't have it and I miss this immensely as the vents at the back reduce the cabin temperature quicker and in extreme summer, it balances the temp between front and back. Right now I get rear passengers complaining it's not very cold but the ones at the front saying they are ok.

Quote:
I'd rate the all wheel discs, auto headlamps and wipers, Cruise Control and engine (320 version) more than worth the small 14k premium over the top of the line Creta SX(O), and lack of the other features not even a major consideration.
But you completely missed the fact that the Creta gets 6 airbags and ESP. Auto lights/wipers vs ESP?

Rear discs are welcome in the S-cross but it's not like the Creta has poor braking like the Nissan Sunny because of drum brakes at the back. Rear world braking might not be largely different.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 02:12   #733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csanthosh View Post
17.5L for 5 -seater car that too from Maruti is too much. People will laugh.
Buy an Innova. Suddenly, Toyota's pricing begins to seem reasonable after Hyundai and Maruti shocked us with their inflated price tags for hatches on stilts.

Not much of a stilt either, in the case of the S Cross (I wonder what it will Cross, really?) - effectively you're expected to cough up between 13 and 17 lakhs for a stretched hatch with some features thrown in to make you feel better about being the joker. It doesn't even look special - this one looks very anonymous and will get lost in the crowd.

Seriously guys - there are so many options available at these prices, with the Storme, XUV and Innova (at a reasonable stretch) offering so much more for similar money. You can buy a real SUV/MUV for this kind of money - why go around in poseur hatches that really offer you nothing more than a false-SUV image? Who are you fooling? Yourself, mostly - S for Sucker, perhaps.

I'm not sure of the prices in IND, but perhaps you could get a few of the D sedans at a stretch too? Vote with your feet and your money - don't let these manufacturers make us look like willing fools.

Last edited by Steeroid : 6th August 2015 at 02:18.
Steeroid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 03:18   #734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
The major blows/ drawbacks to the pricing of the DDIS 320 in comparison to the 1.6 creta SX (O) apart from the pricing itself is the absence of 6 airbags in the alpha variant and those horrible alloys. If Maruti would have given at least the 6 airbags maybe and just maybe the DDIS 320 could have had a fair fight.

The presence of the 6 speed AT in the creta further adds salt to the DDIS 320's fresh wounds.

I read somewhere that MSIL had delayed the launch of S cross for repositioning pricing after seeing the Creta's pricing debacle. So what did they reposition exactly?

Conversation at MSIL HO

Junior: Sir, the Creta is recieving a lot of flak for its pricing. What action do you suggest we should take?

Senior (while smoking some weird stuff) : what's the Creta priced at?

Junior: Sir, 13.6 for the top variant.

Senior: Oh jolly good then we should rethink our pricing. Delay the launch we need to jack the prices up as we are MSIL after all we never learn from our past disasters and don't you know overpricing is in the trend.

Junior: Sir, But

Senior: No buts since they wanted the 1.6 give it to them but make them pay for it ( evil laughter)
Exactly what went through my mind when I heard the pricing. Time to visit NEXA and cancel my 1.6 Alpha booking. My two cents, shared this evening...

"Another fine example of pricing being decided by Engineers and Accountants, agreed by the Managing Director. I wish the NEXA Marketing team best of luck. This is going to be a tough cookie to sell."

As a marketer myself, I empathize with the team, but if they have done this to themselves, then they've been smoking some really weird stuff.
Old 6th August 2015, 07:20   #735
BHPian

Jumping Camps

Logic says: Jump to the creta camp
But if I cannot afford 14+, I think its more sane to remain in the s cross camp

Current confusion within the S cross camp: 12.8 L OTR for the 1.3 alpha vs 14 L OTR Delta (with added alloys, rear demister and nexa seat covers (unless they charge 'premium').
Other Options (sans Duster, Ecosport and the Sedans)

Creta sx+ vs S cross 1.6 delta
On the safety front, compared with the 1.6 SX+ CRDI wich is 14.6 OTR here I would gain better steering and handling, all 4 discs, a lowered ride and mod friendly engine. AVN unit, ACC and rear ac vents will be a miss though.

Creta 1.6 sx vs S cross alpha 1.3 (13.4L vs 12.8 OTR)
You would lose On-road presence, power, torque, high ride and looks by picking the s cross. (0-100 and in-gear timings to 100 would be similar in my guess). Nothing lost on safety front, infact there are gains.

1.3 alpha vs 1.6 delta
Nothing lost on the safety front.
Bling would be better with those headlamps and a feel good cabin (subjective)
All lost in the power and torque front.

Reassesing my needs
1. Average speed - On Kerala highways - 40-50kmph, bursts of 80-100 most often. 120+ one burst of 3 km on the container road daily.
2. Condition of roads - 50% are bad, Even Duster cannot iron out 50% of those. You have to slow down and then take them slowly.
3. Ghat / Inclines - Twice an year, may be to Munnar or Ooty/Kodaikanal/Kollur.
4. Expressway cruising (akin to roads up north or the Tamilnadu/Karnataka highways) - Once a year or less

After reassessing needs - Do I need a 1.6? I am more confused.

Last edited by sandygordon : 6th August 2015 at 07:22. Reason: Spelling
sandygordon is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks