Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2015, 20:04   #1471
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The 1.6 MJD Imports now cross 3000+( ~3400). This could be the last consignment of the 1.6's for a long time to come.
Either Maruti has indications the 1.6 S Cross will/has many takers or they have other plans to surprise us. They have now imported~3760 -1.6 MJD so far, the most recent being this past week.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-crre.png

Last edited by volkman10 : 30th August 2015 at 20:05.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 21:02   #1472
BHPian

Quote:
Either Maruti has indications the 1.6 S Cross will/has many takers or they have other plans to surprise us. They have now imported~3760 -1.6 MJD so far, the most recent being this past week.

Attachment 1408975
I think they might have a contract to buy a certain amount of engines from fiat which is why they are still bringing in more 1.6 multijets. The Kizashi was also being imported even after it was declared a dud.
rockporiom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 23:31   #1473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
I think they might have a contract to buy a certain amount of engines from fiat which is why they are still bringing in more 1.6 multijets. The Kizashi was also being imported even after it was declared a dud.
Day-dreaming of a Kizashi with this 1.6L MJD with a remap >> a real monster worth 16-18 lakhs.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 23:37   #1474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Day-dreaming of a Kizashi with this 1.6L MJD with a remap >> a real monster worth 16-18 lakhs.
Kizashi was close to 1500 kilos a very heavy car. The 1.6 MJD would not suit it at all. One look at the engine bay and you can see that even the 2.4l unit it has looks small in there since the car was designed for a 3l 6cyl
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 00:48   #1475
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
A 1.6L will be a bit too less for Kizashi. Ideally it should come with 1.9JTD.

Regards
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 01:06   #1476
BHPian

Hi all

Could anybody tell about the anti-theft security system on the S Cross. The base model doesn't have it. Details/description about the functioning of this anti-theft security seem to be described nowhere.

Regards
Old 31st August 2015, 01:25   #1477
BHPian

TD'd the 1.6 today, came out thoroughly impressed.
The td vehicle had 3500kms on the odo & not one squeaky panel - gave me confidence that it's a well put together car.

One question though; what is the mesh/grill like square on the top center of the dashboard for? The RM told me there's a 5th speaker there, although I highly doubt that's true coz the brochure mentions 4 main door mounted speakers.
Old 31st August 2015, 05:40   #1478
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
One question though; what is the mesh/grill like square on the top center of the dashboard for? The RM told me there's a 5th speaker there, although I highly doubt that's true coz the brochure mentions 4 main door mounted speakers.
Comes with an eight speaker system internationally that includes a speaker mounted centrally on the dashboard. It's a dummy slot for us, but perhaps can be used by guys doing speaker upgrades.
Old 31st August 2015, 06:04   #1479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
TD'd the 1.6 today, came out thoroughly impressed.
The td vehicle had 3500kms on the odo & not one squeaky panel - gave me confidence that it's a well put together car.

Did you td the 1.3 as well? I suggest you to take the rd of the 1.3 as well. If you are an enthusiastic enthusiast, go ahead with the 1.6.
After 450 km of driving the 1.3 the enthusiastic enthusiast in me is a bit dissatisfied. Waiting for the run in period to end for a tuning box for those poor low ends. 1.3 performs well in the midrange but I miss those torquey traffic signal runs.
Old 31st August 2015, 06:15   #1480
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
After 450 km of driving the 1.3 the enthusiastic enthusiast in me is a bit dissatisfied. Waiting for the run in period to end for a tuning box for those poor low ends. 1.3 performs well in the midrange but I miss those torquey traffic signal runs.
I'm not too sure about the Maruti versions, but the FIAT cars really show their true colours only after about 5000 kms of usage.

My Punto 90hp used to feel really lethargic and disappointing initially and I had noted the same in the ownership review. Felt very different and opened up nicely once it had around 4-5k kms under the belt.

Had a tuning box on my 90hp for sometime. I can confidently say that you might get 40-50% of the turbo shove you get from the 1.6 at just 10% of the additional price. But then, I'm wondering what a tyre shredder a remapped 1.6 would be!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 31st August 2015 at 06:19.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 12:04   #1481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Comes with an eight speaker system internationally that includes a speaker mounted centrally on the dashboard. It's a dummy slot for us, but perhaps can be used by guys doing speaker upgrades.
Oh okay. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Did you td the 1.3 as well? I suggest you to take the rd of the 1.3 as well. If you are an enthusiastic enthusiast, go ahead with the 1.6.
No I did not. Although it was available, decided against it.

Like you mentioned, I want that 'reserve power' to be available for those signal, highway and ghat bursts. Hence the decision to go in for the 1.6 only.

I had around 300kg of passengers with me during the td and not once did the car feel sluggish - exactly what I need. I only imagine how it would be with just me in it

Will probably wait till March next year before taking the plunge though, hopefully there should be some discounts available by then.

Also got the opportunity to see all 5 colors in bright sunlight. Liked the Granite Grey, Premium Silver, Caffeine Brown the most, in that order. I think Urban Blue would be a tough cookie to maintain in the long run and is more prone to show the effects of fading & scratches through the years.
Old 31st August 2015, 12:22   #1482
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1408975
There was a rumour sometime back that they may bring in 1.6 Ciaz!!!

If that happens

I doubt even Maruti is not expecting, with this kind of high price level, 1.6 Scross will do wonder business!
Old 31st August 2015, 12:39   #1483
BHPian

I saw my first S Cross in Chennai (T Nagar) yesterday; was a blue coloured 1.6. As the car crossed me while I was walking, the NVH levels seemed slightly higher, compared to the 1.3 engine I have in my dzire.

The design of the car confused me at first glance. Seeing photos do not do justice to its complete look. But overall, this half hatch, half sedan will do decent numbers going by the reviews. I also think that the lighter colours are better; silver seemed best!
Old 31st August 2015, 14:19   #1484
BHPian

Did my first free check up at 1000 km. As mentioned, there are 2 dedicated mechanics for s-cross only and a separate bay. They might move to nexa exclusive service stations in future, but I doubt. The service was really detail and they took good amount of time to address the issues and couple of followup calls too.

I will talk about the issues and negatives first.

1. The left rear shock was hard and some thud sound was coming. They changed it under warranty. The older part was sent to maruti R&D department.
2. The hatch door was not closing properly which was rectified.
3. I felt the lack of power in 4th gear. They ran some diagnostic and checked with Maruti to conclude that the 4th gear is not explosive and rather linear. They have tuned it to pull gradually and not madly.
4. Another thing what I observed is as soon as you switch on the power, the music system comes up with high volume and gradually settles down. This is an inconsistent event and what I fear is it might harm the speakers. But, the service guys didn't face this issue and raised this issue with Maruti. This is still not rectified and as a temporary solution I switch off the HU while switching the engine off. Has anybody else faced this issue even in Ciaz. I know there are are still some bugs in the HU. Need some help from members, if I am missing some settings/tricks.

Now the not so bad things.

As soon as I got the vehicle back from service, I started the long journey.

1. The AC is fantastic by Maruti standards as it worked really well in Chennai heat/humidity.
2. The seats provide good comfort and I didn't feel fatigued at all. A big positive from Ritz which was already good.
3. The best thing in s-cross is cruise control. Yes it works like a hybrid auto when you press the RES(+) button. The acceleration is awesome if you use the RES to move from 60 to 100, it is much better than if you have used the "A" pedal to achieve the same. Believe it or not I used the cruise control for 10+ minutes in some instances. The result, your feet are at ease.
4. It's a cruiser and not a sprinter. The brios and etios were easily keeping the pace with s-cross without breaking a sweat. It pulls cleanly till 120 and after that the 1200kg weight takes it's toll. It can still go higher, but I didn't try as it's not safe. All in all it's not under powered.
5. Having said that it's better than linea MJD and I witnessed it.
6. What it lost in sheer power, it makes up with braking and dynamics. You don't have to slow down in curves and small spead breakers and road undulations. I can compare it with Swift in the handling department. Even with JK's the ride is planted and not a single time it was nervous. The breaking is best I have seen in recent times.
7. Sound insulation can be better, but I think it will improve post 5000km.
8. And all these were complemented with awesome FE.
Total distance traveled = 890 km
Highway = 700km
city = 190km
Auto AC set at 22 with 4 people onboard with 3 luggages.
FE = 21.3 kmpl (Speed varied between 80-100 most of the time with some 120 sprints)
I literally completed this journey with a single tank full with still 6 ltrs fuel remained in the tank.
sou_3749 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 14:58   #1485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
Anyone here cancelled your booking for S-Cross?

I had booked S-cross and cancelled it with Bimal Nexa in Bangalore. They are taking forever to refund the money. Anyone else had a good experience in getting back the booking amount on time?
Update on this :

I got the cheque from Nexa showroom today. Although there was a delay in refund, the RM was keeping me upto date with the happenings, but sometimes it felt like lame excuse. Good part is that, he took the responsibility and answered all my calls or he called me back to give updates.

Also happened to see the Scross in different shades in the showroom. I just loved the white s-cross, looked stunning, especially from the back. Good luck to all prospective owners of Scross here and have loads of happy miles with Scross. My tryst with Scross has now come to an end.
Indian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks