Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2015, 21:17   #1321
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I have been a bit too harsh on S-Cross and I even said sorry for that. And I have moved on. Did you see any anti S-Cross remark in my latest post. Yes, I consider Jazz superior to S-Cross. How is that a harsh comment against S-Cross. If you are entitled to your opinion, then so am I. And speaking about my enthusiasm against S-Cross, mine was only against S-Cross (not against Maruti) but I have also seen your enthusiasm against Honda cars.
Can you please explain why do feel so or is it just a personal preference? I own a City and I found the S Cross to be better in almost every way,forget the cheap Jazz.
Doge is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 00:28   #1322
BHPian

Just to add to the upgrade debate, Upgrade can be both subjective and objective. There is no one rule for defining whether buying a particular car is an upgrade. In fact I don't think of buying a new car in terms of upgrade, I would buy a car that appeals to my mind and heart.

I currently own what people call a sedan (Ford Ikon) and considering the S-Cross which is being called as a oversized hatch by some, as my next purchase. The S-Cross is leagues ahead of the Ikon in every department except probably the sheer driving pleasure. So for me the sedan < hatchback. Basically it is an individual preference I believe.
Old 21st August 2015, 03:59   #1323
Team-BHP Support

Too bad the 1.6 doesn't get AWD. Could have silenced all critics that call this a hatchback rather than a crossover, just for the looks.

Here's one of the few videos I could find on the S-cross AWD. Of course, a hardcore SUV can do better. A crossover is something that tries to achieve the best of both worlds. Even in 2WD version, S-Cross should fare good enough for most people's on road and "off road" (that usually means village roads for 99.9% of carbuyers)

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-image.jpg

And here's the Euro NCAP test results for S-Cross. Shows frontal impact, side impact and ESC capabilities -

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st August 2015 at 04:17.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 13:09   #1324
BHPian

Got a chance to test drive Creta last week. The Hyundai rep was saying that an AWD version of Creta will be launched in six months’ time. Don’t know how true this is. But if it turns out to be true, won’t it make sense to MS to launch S-Cross with an AWD here?
Old 21st August 2015, 13:14   #1325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreepathy View Post
Got a chance to test drive Creta last week. The Hyundai rep was saying that an AWD version of Creta will be launched in six months’ time. Don’t know how true this is. But if it turns out to be true, won’t it make sense to MS to launch S-Cross with an AWD here?
I believe most manufacturers have become reactive rather than proactive. Unless someone ups the bar, don't think anyone else will try to be proactive. Well, most of the times atleast. If Creta gets AWD, then I am sure others will follow suit.
Old 21st August 2015, 13:24   #1326
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreepathy View Post
But if it turns out to be true, won't it make sense to MS to launch S-Cross with an AWD here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
I believe most manufacturers have become reactive rather than proactive.
Whenever Maruti will give the S Cross a facelift, following will be added:

1) Rear AC Vents
2) AWD (As an option at least)
3) A petrol engine (Fingers crossed)
Old 21st August 2015, 13:24   #1327
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Exteriors

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
For the shades offered on the S-Cross, Maruti has stuck to more conservative colours like grey, silver & white, with brown and blue being the two standout options. Can you have it in black? Unfortunately not! That said, I think the S-Cross in a lighter shade brings out the best contrast with the black body cladding.
Saw a white S-Cross Alpha this morning (not sure if it is a 1.6 or 1.3). It looked incredibly boring with the bland colour and the bland wheels. Black wheels and blackened headlamp bezels can significantly transform the exteriors. Still I'd say that a lighter exterior shade brings out the best contrast with the black body cladding.
Old 21st August 2015, 14:33   #1328
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Exteriors

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
What if the stock alloys are blackened out somewhat like this?
Attachment 1405498
The front wheels look way better and should not cost a bomb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Saw a white S-Cross Alpha this morning (not sure if it is a 1.6 or 1.3). It looked incredibly boring with the bland colour and the bland wheels. Black wheels and blackened headlamp bezels can significantly transform the exteriors. Still I'd say that a lighter exterior shade brings out the best contrast with the black body cladding.
I hope the Silver doesn't come anywhere close. I've seen both together and the Silver looked much better, but that was already late in the evening.
Old 21st August 2015, 16:32   #1329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiyags22 View Post
Just to add to the upgrade debate, Upgrade can be both subjective and objective. There is no one rule for defining whether buying a particular car is an upgrade.
Upgrade is always about quality and appeal rather than quantity/space. Even a small item, sometimes even cheaper, has more appeal than a bigger or even costlier item, that would be an upgrade. You might say, what appeals to me does not appeal to you. That is very unlikely but often we get confused with requirements vs appeal. For instance, a nice and small villa on the outskirt might appeal to me than a big boxed apartment in the middle of the town, but my requirement is a big boxed apartment in the middle of the town. So, I buy the apartment. But I would still wish that I could have a bigger villa of the same quality in the middle of the town.

With the congested space in city, people are finding small cars more suitable, but small cars in India always lacked the appeal of a premium segment car as safety, ride, handling, features, looks, etc. were lacking in small cars segment. That is exactly what more manufacturers are trying to tap into - make more premium small cars. They should always be considered an upgrade irrespective of the size and price.

Tomorrow, someone launches a car of the same size and shape - everything of a S-Cross and with the handling of an Octavia RS, that will be an upgrade :-D Off-topic. I'm just praying that Punto Abarth comes in sub-10 lakh. That will be a mini Octavia.
opendro is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 19:39   #1330
BANNED

Maruti Suzuki Hikes Prices; S-Cross to Remain Unaffected

Quote:
According to reports, Maruti Suzuki introduced a price hike across its entire range with the sole exception of the S-Cross. The hike, that apparently has been in effect since August 11, 2015, translates to an increase in prices by Rs. 3,000 - Rs. 9,000. Hyundai also increased prices by upto Rs. 30,000 last month. One must note that Hyundai's price hike also excluded the Creta SUV, which was also launched 10 days before the price hike.

Though the company is yet to make an announcement, it is said the revised prices are to accommodate "changes in dealer margin and a minor calibration in prices".
http://auto.ndtv.com/news/maruti-suz...fected-1209659
Old 21st August 2015, 19:51   #1331
BHPian

At the price point most of us are talking about, you will always have to compromise on certain aspects of the car, be it looks, performance or features. The choice you make will depend on what’s important to you and/or your family. Most or all of us are a part of this group because we love cars, so a little criticism, warranted or un-warranted shouldn’t bother/influence those who really care about their steed.

On a lighter note, I did visit the NEXA showroom off Museum Road and found the 1.6 to be more responsive than the 1.3 for city driving. Even without the turbo spooling up the initial torque was noticeably more when feathering the throttle in stop go traffic. The 1.6 is very similar in ‘feel’ to my T-Jet (even has the same long throw clutch), except that it’s a diesel, and surprisingly rolls less than the T-Jet on its raised suspension.
keroo1099 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 20:11   #1332
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Whenever Maruti will give the S Cross a facelift, following will be added:

1) Rear AC Vents
2) AWD (As an option at least)
3) A petrol engine (Fingers crossed)
I agree with the last two points, but I doubt the 1st one. Maruti simply won't bother to take the pains to re-engineer even a plastic panel. Unless it is offered by Suzuki globally, Maruti won't add rear AC vents and as far as I know, S-Cross lacks this feature globally also.

Regards
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2015, 05:43   #1333
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Tomorrow, someone launches a car of the same size and shape - everything of a S-Cross and with the handling of an Octavia RS, that will be an upgrade :-D Off-topic. I'm just praying that Punto Abarth comes in sub-10 lakh. That will be a mini Octavia.
Well, the official review says that the DDiS320 is the mini Octavia you are looking for, even though it might not be an RS.

Quote:
This 1.6L engine is the new torque king. The 320 Nm of torque is the same as the more expensive Jetta / Octavia and significantly higher than the norms of this segment. It is a real cracker of a diesel, albeit with one flaw - turbo lag!

Open road performance is very impressive. No surprise as the torque-to-weight ratio is higher than the Jetta & Octavia! You can easily keep up with - and pass - more expensive cars on the expressway.
Quote:
There is only one way to say it = On-road behaviour is more European than Japanese. The way that the S-Cross can mask speeds is commendable...or downright dangerous - whichever way you look at it!

The stability is rock solid. Credit must be given to the excellent driving dynamics of this car. The S-Cross feels tight and eager to change direction without ever feeling skittish or nervous when cornering. Due to the jacked-up ground clearance (180 mm), there is body roll, yet it's not something you'd find unnerving.
As the owner of a Punto myself, Abarth TJet is a very exciting proposition indeed. However, that doesn't take anything away from this cracker of a 1.6 diesel, which seems to be as good as a small diesel gets in this price band.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd August 2015 at 05:44.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2015, 18:34   #1334
Distinguished - BHPian

Tyre experts, need advice on changing of stock tyres of JK Elanzo 205/60 R16 as alternate.
Which of the below three are best suited for city drive (99.9%)?

1. Good Year
2. Michelin
3. Bridgestone

Thanks,

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd August 2015 at 18:39.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2015, 18:38   #1335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Tyre experts, need advice on changing of stock tyres of JK Elanzo 205/60 R16 to alternate.
Which of the below three are best suited for city drive (99.9%)?

1. Good Year
2. Michelin
3. Bridgestone

Thanks,
It isn't really about the brand but the model. If you want a quiet comfortable ride, look at Michelin Primacys or Yokohama Decibels Not sure if the model is on sale everywhere, but if you can get your hands on Yokohama Advan DB tyres, there is nothing like it. They offer the quiet and comfortable ride you expect from a decibel tyre and some impressive grip levels that one would normally expect from more sport oriented tyres

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks