Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2015, 23:09   #1261
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Moving away from the looks of the car and a more serious note for which this thread is intended, and for those wanting to change the tires, here is some information.

From JK stock( Elanzo 205/60 R16) to Goodyear tires

Cost of ~ INR 5300 / tire

For Bridgestone or Michelin

Cost ~ 9500 /tire

Buyback of stock JK tyres in both the cases will ~INR 3000 /tire. ( assuming <100 kms)

Warranty will be void ( Maruti Suzuki) in case of a Tire Size upgrade.
Thanks for the info!!

I also enquired and got the following rates for tyres in stock size
1. Yokohama-9400 per tyre
2. Bridgestone-8600 per tyre
3. Michelin-8900 per tyre

Didn't ask about goodyears or any other brand. This enquiry was made on 3rd August.
The shopkeeper offered Rs.3500 per tyre for JKs as buyback, provided I come for a tyre change straight after taking delivery.

Regards
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 23:14   #1262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post

pgsagar - I believe your opinion that S-Cross is ugly looking is justified. I firmly believe every one has the right to make comments about what they think about the products. However, when you use bold letters it sounds like screaming. In a public forum, it always valuable to express your point of view, but its best to keep it to the point and subtle than appear to be screaming.
Yes, you are right. Looking back, I realise that I have been too harsh. I'm sorry for that post. I request mods to remove it please. I have been the harshest critic here. Sudeep, I have nothing against MUL or any other manufacturer. It is just that I was afraid if this trend continues, we will see more and more bland looking cars. Now, I have a problem with bland cars. The desirability factor dies , for me, when a car does not look exciting. My fear being, if all future cars start looking plain Jane, what will I buy?
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 23:53   #1263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Almost zeroing in on the 1.3 alpha. However 'ugly' and 'underpowered' she is.
1.3 zeta may be more VFM, can save me a good 50-75k but atleast once in life I want to buy a top end model.
If I may already say so, congratulations to the first Alpha probable

Quote:
I thought I'd wait for the Vitara brezza, but quickly realized there is no end to this madness!
You said it! I've been playing this waiting game since 2012!! I must say, however, that the long TD from last week, was the turning point.
Old 18th August 2015, 01:46   #1264
BHPian

Re: An expensive experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi99 View Post

Also we need to understand that 'Premium' word is being overused by Maruti to pull the crowds and highlight that this aint their average built product.
Have a feeling that Maruti is getting too much flak for using the word Premium while the original "premium" manufacturers like Hyundai and Honda are being left alone. If an i20 or a Jazz can be accepted as premium, then why not SCross which is giving similar features and a comparable build quality? I am not even talking about the > 4M size.
thiyags22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 01:58   #1265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiyags22 View Post
Have a feeling that Maruti is getting too much flak for using the word Premium while the original "premium" manufacturers like Hyundai and Honda are being left alone. If an i20 or a Jazz can be accepted as premium, then why not SCross which is giving similar features and a comparable build quality? I am not even talking about the > 4M size.
Guess you got me wrong. I am not bashing Maruti, rather supporting them for overusing the word - So as to reassure the 'i wont spend 10+ for a Maruti' - folks, that this aint their regular mass scale product rather something that has been made for a segment higher.

I believe that Maruti is being forced to overuse the word and I see no harm in that, as long as it draws customers to showrooms to TD the car and decide for themselves.
Old 18th August 2015, 02:10   #1266
BHPian

Quote:
Guess you got me wrong. I am not bashing Maruti, rather supporting them for overusing the word - So as to reassure the 'i wont spend 10+ for a Maruti' - folks, that this aint their regular mass scale product rather something that has been made for a segment higher.

I believe that Maruti is being forced to overuse the word and I see no harm in that, as long as it draws customers to showrooms to TD the car and decide for themselves.
It was a general statement and not against your statement Abhi99. I did not know how to do multi-quote and just quoted you
thiyags22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 06:14   #1267
BHPian

Quote:
I loved reading all the comments and please keep them coming. It has certainly helped me make an informed decision.

Thanks all!
I too own a 3rd Gen City and was comparing the headroom at the back to the city. Surprisingly,the Scross has less headroom at the rear than my city! They really have jacked up the seats quite up. The 1.3 also felt quite underpowered flat out when compared to the Ivtec. Not a big downer though.

I quite like the idea of the Scross as a big hatch,which is for the first time in India. It really doesn't feel like a SUV,not a bad thing IMO. But the Ecosport does most things what the Scross does at a lesser price and is better built with more safety kit. I wouldn't talk about the Creta as I found it way too overpriced for what it is.
Old 18th August 2015, 07:09   #1268
BHPian

Quote:

I am buying the S Cross, not because it is 'premium' or it is a 'crossover'. I am buying the s cross because it is a large hatchback, has excellent car like dynamics, is fairly loaded and would give me peace of mind. I am buying this as an ecosport, 85 ps duster and i20 elite alternative. For me it has more space than an ecosport and has better dynamics than an i20 active.

And with the alpha, I feel I will have a bit of exclusivity as most wont go for this variant and majority would go for the zeta or the creta. I ruled out the creta as I would always feel that I chose a lower variant and I dont have the budget for the options model at present.

Colour choices
Silver>Brown>Grey>Blue> White

Mods planned at the moment
1. Wind tone horns
2. Underbody coating 3M with 3M mats
3. Gloss black wrap of the front grille chrome and blackening of excess chrome in the headlight (if that is possible), before wifey sees the car.
4. White lights for the fogs
5. Tyre upgrade to Michelin Primacy (Alloys too if budget permits)
6. Spoiler (Genuine accesory)
6. ICE upgrade (Please suggest good components for the front). Only problem is the lack of full fidelity of the ICE. (Bass/Treble/Fader - Any work abouts?)
- 6" comps up front with damping (Punchy ones - Good thump at low volumes - Idont want bright ones as metal is not my cup of tea - Please suggest)
- JBL GTO amp / Please suggest one at 5-10 k
- 8 inch ID Sub vs JBL 10'' with shallow box in the boot, custom made to fit well in the side well of the boot.

Last edited by sandygordon : 18th August 2015 at 07:17.
sandygordon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 07:40   #1269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Yes, you are right. Looking back, I realise that I have been too harsh. I'm sorry for that post. I request mods to remove it please. I have been the harshest critic here. Sudeep, I have nothing against MUL or any other manufacturer. It is just that I was afraid if this trend continues, we will see more and more bland looking cars. Now, I have a problem with bland cars. The desirability factor dies , for me, when a car does not look exciting. My fear being, if all future cars start looking plain Jane, what will I buy?
I understand it is nothing against the Manufacturer. I think many of us are upset with Maruti for many different reasons and that's justified in my opinion. They have called something premium that isn't really. Personally, I am not a fan of the S-Cross looks either but my situation is that given the priorities of life, I am accepting the 1.3 Alpha since I need a car at this point in time. I love when the car looks great and has enough punch under the hood. The looks definitely give you a premium feel as well as arrive in style! If I was much younger, I may have boiled just like how you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
If I may already say so, congratulations to the first Alpha probable

You said it! I've been playing this waiting game since 2012!! I must say, however, that the long TD from last week, was the turning point.
Me too going for 1.3 Alpha. The long test drive back to back on the S-Cross and Creta finalized what I need.

Quote:
The Nexa branding is an effort by Maruti to enter the premium segment. So if they don't call these offerings Premium in a "Premium" showroom, how are they going to try and work out their strategy? The real point (as GTO said) is that their offerings are confusing and not well positioned

Quote:
I am buying the S Cross, not because it is 'premium' or it is a 'crossover'. I am buying the s cross because it is a large hatchback, has excellent car like dynamics, is fairly loaded and would give me peace of mind. I am buying this as an ecosport, 85 ps duster and i20 elite alternative. For me it has more space than an ecosport and has better dynamics than an i20 active.

And with the alpha, I feel I will have a bit of exclusivity as most wont go for this variant and majority would go for the zeta or the creta. I ruled out the creta as I would always feel that I chose a lower variant and I dont have the budget for the options model at present.

Colour choices
Silver>Brown>Grey>Blue> White

Mods planned at the moment
3. Gloss black wrap of the front grille chrome and blackening of excess chrome in the headlight (if that is possible), before wifey sees the car.
4. White lights for the fogs
6. Spoiler (Genuine accesory)

More or less same reasons why i am going for the S-Cross. My outstation trips will need better ground clearance. Some exclusivity too. Don't like the engine too much, after using the City, I feel it's not that great. But will do the job for my needs and priorities at this time.

Please share pictures once you get these done.
Old 18th August 2015, 09:11   #1270

Quote:
Congratulations ! Its a tough decision and I should think in the right direction, although Maruti did spoil the party with the 1.6 pricing.

Btw, I didnt see the Scorpio in your decision tree, although it falls within the budget. Any reasons ?

Suggest get the Insurance from Maruti itself and choose a govt company. Have been pretty pleased with the annual premium amounts on my Ritz, and Maruti follows up diligently for the same. Its unlike the (unreasonably high) insurance I get done myself for my other car, where I have to run after the insurance companies to collect the cheque and keep on sending reminders to send the cover papers.
Old 18th August 2015, 11:00   #1271
BHPian

Quote:
I am buying the S Cross, not because it is 'premium' or it is a 'crossover'.
So finally, Maruti did make you lose Rs.3000

Congratulations on going for the S cross, what is the wait time provided? Any kind of freebies like matting or something like that?

The alpha is fairly loaded so guess except for the tires you won't be changing anything immediately.
rockporiom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 12:05   #1272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
So finally, Maruti did make you lose Rs.3000

Congratulations on going for the S cross, what is the wait time provided? Any kind of freebies like matting or something like that?

The alpha is fairly loaded so guess except for the tires you won't be changing anything immediately.
Thanks
I had already prebooked the car, a granite gray one is in stock. I will have to go and see it. If I like it I will do the PDI and start the loan process. Else I will have to wait for 3-4 weeks for a premium silver car.

Tire change is on the cards, spoiler and speakers as well.
sandygordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 17:32   #1273
BHPian

Do we know any details on the structural integrity of the S-cross? I cannot find details on this in any of the reviews so far. It will be good to know how the S-cross fares in this aspect. Even if it has 2 or 4 air-bags if the structural integrity is compromised then all of the other safety features are quite useless!
Old 18th August 2015, 17:46   #1274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Do we know any details on the structural integrity of the S-cross? I cannot find details on this in any of the reviews so far. It will be good to know how the S-cross fares in this aspect. Even if it has 2 or 4 air-bags if the structural integrity is compromised then all of the other safety features are quite useless!
Weighs the same as similarly specced models sold in Europe and Australia so I suppose they haven't really tinkered with that aspect of the car Assuming it is exactly the same body that is used in the international one, it has received top marks in safety tests with the passenger compartment remaining structurally sound during an assortment of crashes
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 17:51   #1275
BHPian

Quote:
6. ICE upgrade (Please suggest good components for the front). Only problem is the lack of full fidelity of the ICE. (Bass/Treble/Fader - Any work abouts?)
- 6" comps up front with damping (Punchy ones - Good thump at low volumes - Idont want bright ones as metal is not my cup of tea - Please suggest)
- JBL GTO amp / Please suggest one at 5-10 k
- 8 inch ID Sub vs JBL 10'' with shallow box in the boot, custom made to fit well in the side well of the boot.
I am a big fan of Morel and have had Dotech Ovation in my car for over 4 years now. What I like about them is that they have nicely defined highs, which doesnt hurt your ear even if you listen to them all day.

I would suggest to check for Morel Maximo or Tempo (whichever fits your requirement and budget).

For amp - there were lot of Audison's flying around for a steal but lately they have dried up. I have used focal solid 4 in that range ( bought mine for 10k) and was reasonably satisfied with it.
Abhi99 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks