Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2015, 13:49   #121
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Brilliant review; rated a well-deserved 5 star. Knowing how sensible Maruti is with their pricing, I can already see the next month sales charts on fire.
Design, as always is Maruti-ish; doesn't offend anyone nor does it try to turn heads. There you go, some accidents averted. Maruti cares about us

So those are alloys, aren't they? Thanks for mentioning that or I would've thought Maruti offered a low-end version for the review. Nice wheel-cap looking alloys there. No one will walk up to the owner and ask "Nice looking alloys there; After-market or stock?"

Some imagination : Only 35 NEXA dealerships! With rumors that FIAT is in talks with Maruti about a possible collaboration : I can only wish that a deal work out, all FIAT dealerships to be converted into NEXA and FIATs get serviced at Maruti Service.
Old 26th July 2015, 13:49   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaveenKD View Post
I got too excited and booked a Scross today. See my post in Creta thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3762435
Two things bothering me are (1) No ESP on such a powerful power train (2) Such a small boot.
Unhappy that the SA confirmed top end Alpha has HAC and boot size is 400 ltrs.

What will be good choice for alloy and tire upgrade?
Naveen went through your review in the Creta thread and since we think alike with the other cars, i too feel the S cross will be a better buy over the Creta, given my priorities of good build quality and driving dynamics. Sadly no Nexa in Mangalore means i have to wait a while to see and drive this one. The more i see this car, the more i am liking this over the Creta. I have had the opposite effect with the Creta

Lack of safety features is a major disadvantage for the Cross, but considering it is dynamically better i feel it will not be a major disadvantage

Last edited by carfreak : 26th July 2015 at 13:51. Reason: Posted in a hurry
Old 26th July 2015, 14:03   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
What you’ll like:

• Solid build & good quality, inside out
• Powerful 1.6L diesel with 320 Nm of torque. Superb mid-range and top-end performance
• Mature ride & handling package. High speed behaviour is exceptional
• Practical interiors, spacious cabin and supportive seats
• Maruti's excellent after-sales support network
• All variants get 4 wheel disc brakes, ABS & dual airbags (except base trim with one airbag)
• Feature loaded: Bi-xenon headlamps, leather seats, cruise control, 7" touchscreen ICE etc.

The 1.6L DDiS 320:

This 1.6L engine is the new torque king. The 320 Nm of torque is the same as the more expensive Jetta / Octavia and significantly higher than the norms of this segment. It is a real cracker of a diesel, albeit with one flaw - turbo lag!
Open road performance is very impressive. No surprise as the torque-to-weight ratio is higher than the Jetta & Octavia! You can easily keep up with - and pass - more expensive cars on the expressway.

What is really strong is the in-gear acceleration with the rpm needle above 1,750 rpm. Here, the S-Cross is explosive and it just shoots forward. Given that the 1.6 diesel revs so quickly, an enthusiastic driver will find himself frequently maxing out in the lower gears. 1st gear takes you till 48 km/h, 2nd till 84 km/h and 3rd beyond 130 km/h.

There is only one way to say it = On-road behaviour is more European than Japanese. The way that the S-Cross can mask speeds is commendable...or downright dangerous - whichever way you look at it! Firstly, that sweet 1.6L diesel takes you well into triple-digit speeds without you ever having to try hard. Secondly, at those speeds, you don't feel like you're actually driving fast (unless you look at the speedometer). The stability is rock solid. Credit must be given to the excellent driving dynamics of this car. The S-Cross feels tight and eager to change direction without ever feeling skittish or nervous when cornering. Due to the jacked-up ground clearance (180 mm), there is body roll, yet it's not something you'd find unnerving. Low speed ride isn't what you'd consider soft or plush. Instead, it's on the tighter side of the spectrum. The suspension certainly isn't stiff or jarring; again, it is a lot like European cars. High speed ride quality is excellent and the car remains absolutely flat, ironing out all of the road imperfections.

To put things into perspective, this car handles like a more mature Swift and enthusiasts will surely have a smile plastered on their face when behind the wheel. Family men too will strike a great balance, with not a complaint from the rear.

256 Nm torque-to-weight ratio is the best in this class of cars. Makes it a capable cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Now, after reading the review, it looks like except for the looks, Maruti has got it bang on. It's a very honest effort.

The specs and review are more like a euro spec car. Most of the points match a euro car than a japanese, let alone a Maruti.

Other than that I feel this car is right up there with the Creta. After checking out the Creta closely at the dealership and then reading this review, the S-cross looks better equipped with more attention to detail and nice to have features. Major differences with S-cross and Creta as per my observation.

- S-cross gets xenon lights. Creta has the bending lights.
- S-cross gets all round disc brakes. Creta makes do with drums at the back.
- S-cross gets tilt/telescopic steering, Creta is only tilt adjust steering.
- S-cross has damped glove box vs the regular falling down one in Creta.
- S-cross gets auto headlamps and wipers. Not on Creta.
- S-cross gets sliding front arm rest. Not there on Creta. I couldn't get it to slide.
- S-cross has door padding where you rest your arm. Creta has it on top trim but not on any trim lower. Need to check whether lower variants of S-cross will get it.
- S-cross gets cruise control. Not on Creta.
- S-cross has soft touch plastic on dash. All hard plastics on the Creta.

- Creta gets rear AC vents. Missed on S-cross.
- Creta has optional 6 airbags with ESP on top end trim.
- Creta gets the AT option. Missing on S-cross.

If they price the 1.6L right, we really have an interesting battle on our hands.

It looks like the S-cross is better suited for enthusiasts vs the Creta.
Great work, S2!! So, the official review confirms what I was secretly wishing - It's an enthusiast's dream come true!
Since the Creta review is also a work-in-progress, comparisons with it and the Duster on the following parameters would add great value to the S Cross review:
  • Performance,
  • Ride,
  • Suspension, handling and dynamic abilities,
  • Steering,
  • Rear seat width, leg-space and overall comfort for seating 2 and 3 adults,
  • Quality,
  • Utilization of boot space (not just the volume in numbers).
Old 26th July 2015, 14:07   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent review as usual. Impressive list of features. Was there any explanation as to why there is no AT? Especially, as per the review, it is being sold in Europe with a Dual Clutch AMT. With that power and torque, a dual clutch AT would have been an excellent variant to offer here. Even if they pricing was a little high, I am sure there would have been plenty of takers. A big miss in my opinion (Unless of course we see another surprising pricing strategy that makes an AT nonviable).

The boot space is a disappointment.

On a side note, they definitely need to get the 1.6 into a the Ciaz. In spite of its weight as per the review the S-Cross is a hoot to drive. So can only imagine how the 1.6 will transform the Ciaz. As per the general perception after reading Ciaz related threads/posts, lot of people drop the Ciaz from the list due to the 1.3 engine. If they get it in the Ciaz, the City should be really worried.
Old 26th July 2015, 14:09   #125
BANNED

Very detailed review. As, it is again inspiring me to shift back to Maruti as it is again sourcing more part of imported 1.6L engine and so think will get the same feeling and reliability of the Shift 1.3 DDIS 2008 versions with same FIAT sourced engines. Again superb review. ThumBs up..!!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th July 2015 at 14:11. Reason: Typo.
Old 26th July 2015, 14:50   #126
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant Review !!!
Have been waiting for this since ages like many others.
If I were in market for buying a car today, it surely have been S-Cross but as its not going to happen till next few months I have to make do with my T-Jet.
I can't wait to feel the experience of 1.6L FIAT engine so will try to take TD ASAP.
If someone reads carefully, all the 'What you don't like' points are highly subjective and are not dealbreakers/serious ones, so this car is almost perfect but for that BRAND image but things will improve surely. I am sure 1.6 Ciaz must be next offering from NEXA in a matter of days. Imagine 1.4 T-Jet Petrol is also launched with a killer pricing as a Petrol option in S-Cross.
I can surely say that this car will do to image and sales figures of MSIL what Swift did to the hatchbacks.
The first thing I did before reading the review was searched for the word 'Creta' and surprisingly it appeared only once which proves that the review has been written some time back or Creta hasn't been reviewed till the time of writing the review. But I am sure Creta official review will have lots of 'S-Cross' in it similar to Jazz review has Elite i20.

Last edited by carwatcher : 26th July 2015 at 14:51.
Old 26th July 2015, 15:08   #127
BHPian

Great Review, hopefully we get a review of the DDIS 200 soon as many people will prefer that over the DDiS 320 due to the expected price difference.

Although I personally like the car and don't mind the looks too, I just can't help but feel that the car won't sell if positioned against the Creta and Duster/Terrano as it simply doesn't look the part,the engine and the rest are secondary for the lay person and if this is priced against the Creta and Duster , most people will prefer the Duster and Creta for their looks, only the more informed may prefer this.

Apart from that just read that Navnit Motors in Andheri is one of the Nexa dealers in Mumbai.I do hope they come up with a new showroom and don't display the S cross next to the BMW's , it would be a major disservice to both companies if a Maruti and a BMW were showcased in the same showroom.
Old 26th July 2015, 15:37   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
On a side note, they definitely need to get the 1.6 into a the Ciaz. In spite of its weight as per the review the S-Cross is a hoot to drive. So can only imagine how the 1.6 will transform the Ciaz. As per the general perception after reading Ciaz related threads/posts, lot of people drop the Ciaz from the list due to the 1.3 engine. If they get it in the Ciaz, the City should be really worried.
True, I am in the market for a car with 12L cap. If there is a Ciaz with 1.6, would have got it by now. No need for look around and compare too many. Ciaz has everything but a tiny engine (BTW, it doesn't fell so when you drive )
Old 26th July 2015, 15:48   #129
BHPian

Great review which covers everything one would need to know about the product.
a. Maruti will really have to position this carefully as the brand simply does not have the aspirational value that a Honda or even a Hyundai badge has. b. The product is let down somewhat by some low rent bits like the power window switches, poor choice of alloys etc.
c. The poor NVH might also work against the product, especially in the premium segment.

The warning label had me in splits. 'Alwayas attatch met to fastners'?! Inconsequential and may not matter, but this is clearly unacceptable, especially on a supposedly 'premium product'

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
The Smaller yet Significant Things:

Floor mats are secured in dedicated slots. Notice the Hindi warning label, a rare sight on cars in India:

prashanthyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2015, 17:07   #130
Senior - BHPian

Did the MSIL guys bribe you to put up the S-Cross review well before Creta so that we could be gushing in awe?. Just kidding. No offence meant really.

If they price the 1.6 realistically, they have a winner. I really doubt that considering 1.6 is imported. But if they do it, it will kill Creta.

Considering two disappointments earlier I wish people here don't start speculating the price until they announce it officially.
geeash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2015, 17:12   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
Did the MSIL guys bribe you to put up the S-Cross review well before Creta so that we could be gushing in awe?. Just kidding. No offence meant really.
Well, since you've asked - The S-Cross media drive has already happened and hence the review.

The Creta media drive is scheduled for sometime soon, and hence the report will be up sometime in mid/late August.
Eddy is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 26th July 2015, 17:27   #132
BHPian

Superb Review as usual

Car looks good. But not as good as the competetion especially the Creta. But will surely sell in good numbers as it seems to be a sensible car all around.

For me it looks like previous gen Nissan Qashqai or is it my eyes ?
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-nissanqashqai_2755187b.jpg  

Old 26th July 2015, 17:33   #133
Senior - BHPian

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Well, since you've asked - The S-Cross media drive has already happened and hence the review.

The Creta media drive is scheduled for sometime soon, and hence the report will be up sometime in mid/late August.

I was just joking eddy. Didn't expect a serious reply though. Having said that, the timing of the s-cross review and the wrong timing of media drive by Hyundai with their non disclosure agreement are going to kill the Creta if MSIL price it right.

I really want them to price this right

Last edited by geeash : 26th July 2015 at 17:36.
Old 26th July 2015, 17:47   #134
BHPian

S CROSS - Black Mods

The black sticker mods can improve the looks of S-Cross though...

Here is my quick photoshop mod. Animated GIF.

Name:  scrossmods.gif
Views: 8866
Size:  208.0 KB
rajeshsundaram is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 26th July 2015, 18:54   #135
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
Did the MSIL guys bribe you to put up the S-Cross review well before Creta so that we could be gushing in awe?
Seems like many people still don't believe that Maruti came up with such a good package.
romeomidhun is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed