Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2015, 22:43   #241
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Well well well. If sandygordon got swayed by Creta, looks like the writing is on the wall for the S-Cross . I really hope Maruti Suzuki pull out some magic rabit pricing out of their hat to really compete here. The Creta does seem to be good at handling and ride in the few reviews which have come out. And that, when combined with the others things there makes it formidable.

S-Cross is an enthusiast package but the Creta as a package is too alluring. Only pricing can save S Cross now. How I wish they got the turbo petrol and better alloys here. And some advertising
Old 29th July 2015, 06:40   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whichcarnow View Post
Well well well. If sandygordon got swayed by Creta, looks like the writing is on the wall for the S-Cross . I really hope Maruti Suzuki pull out some magic rabit pricing out of their hat to really compete here.
The truth is Creta is no SUV. It is another grown up hatch on stilts, on larger tyres. The handling is hatch or sedan like, better than an i20. Feels like a grown up i20 with a Verna engine and lots of feel good factors and slightly matured handling. Gone is the wallowy feel of the previous and this generation Verna, far superior dynamics compared to our old accent. The only chink in the armour is the steering feel at low speeds and of course the price. I changed a lane at 30kmph with my 'swift steering correction' and the car just jumped 1 1/2 lanes almost brushing a bike. Had it brushed you would have seen a toppled Creta in Cochin. I was surprised at the feeedback from the steering at 90kmph, was precise enough by Hyundai standards. I dont feel it is overpriced like hell, may be 75k - 1L more than what a prospective buyer would want.

So 3 contenders for my 13L budget
1. S cross 1.6 Zeta / Alpha if Maruti goes super generous in pricing.
2. S cross 1.3 alpha
3. Creta 1.6 SX base - 13.45 OTR Cochin

I might not choose the Creta over the 1.6. But if 1.6 gets knocked out by some insane pricing by MSIL, Game on..Creta.
Old 29th July 2015, 09:12   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
And 4 is where the windows and quarter glasses come into the picture.
I still don't understand how you do this. How on earth do you look towards the rear quarter glass and how is it useful for the driver? It is almost as good as turning back to check for something.
Old 29th July 2015, 10:54   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I still don't understand how you do this. How on earth do you look towards the rear quarter glass and how is it useful for the driver? It is almost as good as turning back to check for something.
It is just useful since there is another viewpoint of the road. If some vehicle accelerates just as you try to join the lane, you can see him in the rear glass area. But if it is not there, then you might only depend on the rear view mirror and the back window.

The edge of the car is visible through this glass in combination with the rear hatch area glass to put it simple.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 29th July 2015 at 11:19.
Old 29th July 2015, 11:19   #245
BHPian

Quote:
True - Seems to defy logic - But our Brain has an advanced imaging system
This would need a scientific explanation
Our visual fields are very sensitive to fast moving subjects especially in the peripheral visual fields. Here the brain suppresses characteristics of the subject and emphasises the movement. All it requires to appreciate the movement out of the corner of the eye are milliseconds. It is quite different from turning back and checking on your kids or bag or something else. These movements are voluntary and targeted which takes an awful lot of time in brain's terms (read 1-2 seconds). So in my opinion the rear glass area makes a hell lot of difference (so quarter glass as well should contribute)
sandygordon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 11:21   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This Video was shared by Bangalore Traffic Police on their wall some days ago.
It is from some UK school I guess. Theoretically speaking this is how you should change lanes. Every time.

A Google search gave me the following image for the Blind-spots
Name:  TBHP.GIF
Views: 3983
Size:  17.5 KB
The bigger the C-Pillar, the wider the blind-spot.
When you look over your shoulder, you will reduce this blind-spot.

The rear quarter glass will further aid in reducing this blind-spot.
You may not see the entire vehicle that is behind you, but in the corner of your eye, you can see that there is something approaching.
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 13:39   #247
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

I went and checked out the car last evening. The limited boot space is going to be a major point for consideration. Pricing is going to hold the key and MUL will be punished if they experiment with premium pricing

In my opinion, potential buyers of the S Cross (specially if this is the only car), would be wise to also review the Ciaz and Renault Lodgy, from a practicality point of view, before they put their money.

Cheers

KPS
Old 29th July 2015, 13:53   #248
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
In my opinion, potential buyers of the S Cross (specially if this is the only car), would be wise to also review the Ciaz and Renault Lodgy, from a practicality point of view, before they put their money.
Ciaz - yes, but Lodgy? No way. A person looking for a crossover or SUV will never look at Lodgy. It is such an uninspiring vehicle. Just above Evalia, and nowhere near Ertiga / Mobilio in terms of desirability, IMO.
Old 29th July 2015, 13:56   #249
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No KPS, I don't think so.

I am in the market for a car. S-Cross is the top contender, but Lodgy didn't even figure in the initial or subsequent shortlist(s).
Eddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 13:59   #250
BHPian

Excellent Review again, that only TeamBHP reviewers can match and beat.
Rated deserving 5* for the review.

Now on the car - great new package from MS. A step ahead for image makeover. And based on the review, a perfect crossover package.

I only hope MS don't make this what TML made out of Aria - a perfect and well balanced vehicle, killed by insane pricing.
advaitlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 14:06   #251
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Ciaz - yes, but Lodgy? No way..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
No KPS, I don't think so.
The Lodgy is from a different segment and lower segment, no doubt. I am only coming from the point, it is important review from a practicality aspect.

My opinion, most S Cross buyer will be very clear in their mind what they will get. If you are a fence sitter than it is better to review options, with the Ciaz being the most difficult bump to cross.

I still believe that the pricing is the absolute key to this product.

Cheers

KPS
Old 29th July 2015, 14:42   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I went and checked out the car last evening. The limited boot space is going to be a major point for consideration. Pricing is going to hold the key and MUL will be punished if they experiment with premium pricing
Quote:

I still believe that the pricing is the absolute key to this product.

Cheers

KPS
I completely agree. I also checked out the car. From a practicality point of view, the limited boot space for such a big car is an issue. Also, the car doesn't look that great for people to get bowled over and ignore practicality. If I were to consider this car, boot space would have been a deal breaker. I also did not find the space inside to be great either.

Last edited by pramodpk : 29th July 2015 at 14:43.
Old 29th July 2015, 15:01   #253
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Lodgy is from a different segment and lower segment, no doubt. I am only coming from the point, it is important review from a practicality aspect.
I recently saw the Lodgy and simply not impressed from the space perspective. The front seats are too cramped and the dashboard/glove box are too tall & bulky to provide a comfortable seating in the front passenger seat.
Definitely not a contender when compared to the S-Cross.
The best thing about the S-Cross is the simple looks, doesn't feel imposing and will not attract attention, quite sober but is good on the inside. I felt it was much smaller to the Duster (from outside) but then realised it just gives that impression and is quite big inside.
The boot - yes, looks small but with the parcel tray out, you get more space (height-wise space if and when you need it), and once the rear seats are folded away you have a lot to Boot
Old 29th July 2015, 16:09   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I felt it was much smaller to the Duster (from outside) but then realised it just gives that impression and is quite big inside.

IMO, that is the biggest USP of this product, which i have been debating with some people around.
Ask 10 people the question , which is longer Creta or Cross and 9 will say Creta.
On the contrary Cross is longer than the Creta, without making you feel so much from outside and at the same time maintaining very good space on the inside.
Old 29th July 2015, 16:18   #255
Team-BHP Support

I was just watching some reviews of the S-cross from the UK and found it very similar to what is available there. Even in UK reviews there's nothing negative about the car except the looks. It's more accepted there as crossovers, or estates are popular. It doesn't work in India as much.

Another interesting point I noticed was a review of the new Vitara. The new Vitara in UK is actually positioned below the S-cross. Where they compare the S-cross with Yeti but Vitara with Duster and the likes.

https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/Suzuki...4-S-Cross-0139

The Vitara gets the same 1.6L DDiS engine but the review says the interior is smaller than the S-cross and feels less premium. So soft touch plastics and more basic cabin as well as lesser features vs the S-cross.

The Vitara is also not as good to drive than the S-cross.

I'm beginning to think, even though the S-cross is the better car it may not be the case for India. Can't help but think that the Vitara would have been a better option with a more competitive price to take on the Creta, Duster, Ecosport than the S-cross.
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed