Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2015, 00:28   #91
Senior - BHPian

Wow! The first proper car from the Maruti to excite me, after the gen1 Swift. Seems like Maruti has got most of the factors right this time. This car offers a lot more bang for the buck. What remains is the pricing, but I think they will get it right.What I liked is that they have not skimped on any of the safety features for any of the versions.

The 1.6 ddis engine specs are nice, though somehow I feel the sales of the car equipped with the 1.3 ddis version would be more here. Pity, that Fiat makes good engines, but have failed to capitalize on them.

Overall a fantastic review, very nicely written!
Old 26th July 2015, 00:42   #92
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Great review and another dark horse from maruti's stable. Its a perfect upgrade for my Ritz vdi (yes I have a love for ugly looking under rated cars :P)

The best buy would have been the 1.6 zest (with all the features of 1.3 zest) and upgrading the alloys. However that is surely not going to happen. Maruti will clearly focus on 4 variants in my opinion

1.3 Sigma (o)
1.3 zest
1.3 alpha
1.6 alpha
Clearly the 1.6zest has been less equipped to make 1.3 alpha look more vfm (expecting that both will be priced closely). Churn volumes from 1st 3, and drive margins and positive reviews / attract customers from the 4th
kanishka88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2015, 00:47   #93
BHPian

I got too excited and booked a Scross today. See my post in Creta thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3762435
Two things bothering me are (1) No ESP on such a powerful power train (2) Such a small boot.
Unhappy that the SA confirmed top end Alpha has HAC and boot size is 400 ltrs.

What will be good choice for alloy and tire upgrade?
NaveenKD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2015, 01:07   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
The Smaller yet Significant Things:

Floor mats are secured in dedicated slots.
Great review!!! However, is this really a "Premium Car"?? notice the type of English used!!

How difficult is it to spell out the same word with same alphabets on two different occasions?
Tap - Top = No difference, its all one and the same!! lol

Edit: God!! I just realized, there are a lot of mistakes in that warning! Check out "Alwayas" and "Attatch"!
Maruti, Suzuki, really??
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-lol.jpg  

Last edited by ObsessedByFIAT : 26th July 2015 at 01:21.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th July 2015, 01:27   #95
BHPian

Duster & Terrano have an AWD, and are thus better for off-road.
Creta & i20 Active have a lot more zing going for them.

Don't see much of a reason to buy this car apart from that gorgeous & sophisticated (unlike EcoSport) interior, and the NEXA dealership experience.

Also, the lack or Auto Tranny, and a 6-airbag option is a serious downer for me.

The Creta is a better choice, any day.
Old 26th July 2015, 02:05   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Great review!!! However, is this really a "Premium Car"?? notice the type of English used!!
Edit: God!! I just realized, there are a lot of mistakes in that warning! Check out "Alwayas" and "Attatch"!
Maruti, Suzuki, really??
You have got eagle eyes man , i was in splits seeing those silly spelling mistakes. Seems they had employed some first standard kid to design this sticker, wonder how it went unnoticed and the car came so far to launch day.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2015, 02:53   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
With all due respect, I find the review a bit incomplete with glaring omissions like usage of cruise control, performance on inclines/ramps, vehicle dimensions, engine power chart with competing vehicles and the like. If the turbo lag is bad, how does it perform on a ramp or incline, especially while shifting from 1st to 2nd gear? Seriously, was expecting more but good job nevertheless.
Well, your post came as a relief. I also found the review ended too quickly and felt a little incomplete. And I thought I was the only one who felt so. But here you are.

But still, a very good review by TBHP's own standards. Gave a wonderful insight into the driving and handling dynamics, something I've been painfully waiting to know about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAbtCars View Post
Whilst I kept refreshing my Team-bhp page expecting that Creta Official review will go live, here comes the S-Cross official review.
If you didn't notice it in the Creta official preview thread, I think GTO has mentioned that the official review of Creta will be out only mid around mid of August to possibly even 3rd week of that month. FYI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post

And thus lives S-cross to it's expected road mannerisms. A perfect* upgrade from those owning premium hatchbacks and the sedans.

*sans any pricing fiasco
Hehe, pricing fiasco. And Bang on. This is definitely a perfect upgrade for a premium hatchback like my Fabia 1.4 petrol that drives well and hard. Now, to enjoy some diesel power and maybe little savings too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu View Post
Looks being subjective, I'll go as far as saying that I like the looks of S-Cross much better than Creta or Active. There's something in that stance that gives it a sturdy look. The long sloping bonnet area and those head lamps and grill; they add to the bold look. I have seen Creta rolling on the road, and I did not feel the looks are imposing and special. It looks unmistakably Hyundai. Except for the bland alloys on S-Cross, I like everything about it. Both exteriors and interiors. Maybe I'm the only one here!!
No, you're not the only one. I've been smitten by this car so much that I went on gut instinct about this car and had it booked 2 weeks ago. And I chose to wait it out with the Creta. My gamble paid off and I couldn't be more pleased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Same thoughts running in my mind as I have heard news of Maruti developing their own 1.5L Diesel mill for the S-Cross, Ciaz and the rest cars. Now if they develop one and get the 1.6L MJD off the S-Cross I will be disappointed totally.

Hope they do not do any changes (engine wise) for the next 1-1.5 years till I buy the SCross in this avatar.
If what I read wasn't wrong, I think you may be safe if you plan your purchase within the next 1.5 years. What I read was that Maruti has extended the contract with Fiat to keep purchasing their engines until 2020 (or 2018), because Maruti hasn't yet achieved the refinement they desire, from their own 1.5 diesels that are under development. I would guess 1 year is a safe time to buy within, but who'd know for sure..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post

How difficult is it to spell out the same word with same alphabets on two different occasions?
Tap - Top = No difference, its all one and the same!! lol

Maruti, Suzuki, really??
Wow! You have an excellent attention to detail. Brilliant spotting. And busted what Maruti thought they could 'brush under the carpet'..

Last edited by k_ajay : 26th July 2015 at 02:56.
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2015, 03:57   #98
BHPian

Maruti or "NEXA" as they plan to brand it, they surely have a winner here. Price it right and they are going to see a lot of folks driven towards this.

The rear AC vents are a real miss here. At the expected price bracket, they could have certainly offered this option.

Also, whats up with the alloys? If it was not clearly specified in the review, one could easily overlook it as yet another plastic wheel cap. They could have spend some time coming up with a better design. Sigh!

Another interesting factor to consider is: How Maruti plans to react if the response is overwhelming since the consumers will have very limited showrooms to cater the customer needs.
Old 26th July 2015, 05:23   #99
BHPian

Quote:
[b]v

Horn isn't a wind tone unit nor a typical 'peep' sounding type. Most people won't complain. Can't describe the sound though The horn sound is well controlled inside the cabin and isn't intrusive at all.
I noticed that the horn is located way in front between the radiator and front grill down below and hence the sound should be very less obtrusive in the cabin. If you sit and peep inside the grill, below the S Badge one can see the horn. Great place for location, but if you have to repair or replace maybe a tad difficult proposition.
Old 26th July 2015, 06:53   #100
MSC
BHPian

Seems that finally the big giant Maruti is waking up from its deep slumber regarding safety. It feels really good that safety is shown the place it deserves. All variants except base have got Airbag and ABS and more importantly Rear Disc brakes as well.
However as pointed, exclusive availability at Nexa might hamper the sales a bit. Does anyone has information regarding the service ? We have to get service done at regular stations or there will be premium service stations too.
Only thing remaining is the breakup of official price. Hope Maruti doesn't goes Hyundai way and prices it ridiculously high as Hyundai did with Creta.
Old 26th July 2015, 07:29   #101
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to Maruti for coming up with such a competent product and giving lot of emphasis on the safety aspect.
As someone said, once you go past the bland looks and terrible alloys, the S-cross makes a very compelling case for itself.
The attention to details in several areas is praise-worthy.

The omission of the rear AC-vents is a blunder I feel given that cars from 2 segments below have those.

Hopefully, Maruti will be able to undercut the Creta by a significant margin which should make this car a hit in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaveenKD View Post
I boot size is 400 ltrs.
I think the boot size is 353 liters.
Since you own a previous gen Jazz which has a boot size of 366 liters. it will be slightly less.

Last edited by adimicra : 26th July 2015 at 07:54.
Old 26th July 2015, 07:44   #102
BHPian

Anyone know where I can see the scross in bangalore around sarjapur?
Old 26th July 2015, 07:46   #103
BHPian

Quote:

Dimension are as following:
Length: 4,300 mm
Width: 1,765 mm
Height: 1,590 mm
Wheelbase: 2,600 mm
GC: 180 mm
Kerb Weight: 1,180 kg for 1.3L and 1,250 kg for 1.6L
The S cross appears to be a great deal lighter than the Ciaz GVW 1585 kg (pulled it from car dekho).

Given that the 1.3 is adequate for people to buy in spades every month, don't you think this should make the S cross as good as a swift with the VGT ?
Old 26th July 2015, 07:50   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSC View Post
Does anyone has information regarding the service ? We have to get service done at regular stations or there will be premium service stations too..
Initially all the service stations will serve the S-cross. Then they will open the NEXA services and then the era of exclusivity begins.

But not to disappoint the early premium crossover customers in ordinary maruti services-they will be treated royally in a different cubicle. Going by nexa standards, the cubicle must be monochromatic in theme so as to witness their vehicles getting serviced in full glory.

Maruti hasn't still clarified whether it will be the same mechanics or the 'state-of-the-art' iphone equipped mechanics who will offer the claimed enhanced experience and unmatched hospitality.

Nexa will also give the choice of a mobile service van servicing the customer's car at their homes. This option strips you off all the premium price you pay for the nexa experience though.

Amidst all this Nexa thing, am sure the Hyundai salesman will be saying this: "Saar, Nexa showrooms are very less in numbers and service also you go to few nexa centers only, so buy our perfect suv''.

ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2015, 07:54   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
The S cross appears to be a great deal lighter than the Ciaz GVW 1585 kg (pulled it from car dekho).
It is kerb weight vs gross weight. Ciaz is super light. Scross may not be lighter than ciaz. All reviews indicate stonger build!!

Last edited by sathya_g_m : 26th July 2015 at 07:57.

Most Viewed