Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2015, 13:39   #181
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

As always, awesome review guys...

Thinking on my Dzire upgrade in the future, this seems like a very good option. Can't wait to drive the 1.6L and feel the turbo kick!
Old 27th July 2015, 13:44   #182
BHPian

Wonderful Review!

Saw the vehicle in the Brook Fields Mall in Coimbatore yesterday. Very bland looks, would not have given it a second if the banner had not said "S-Cross". The vehicle displayed was black in colour and it sounded too good to be true when the nervous executive of Nexa said that the price range would be between 8 - 13 Lakhs OTR. Did he mean Ex-Showroom - lets wait and watch!
Old 27th July 2015, 13:49   #183
BHPian

Fantastic review guys! The attention to detail, even in the nooks and corners of the boot is simply amazing!

As always, request if mods can get hold of testing equipment and post acceleration and roll-on times. I know they are just numbers - but one can judge the engine better. This aside, no auto mag, Indian or otherwise can match the quality of reviews here.

Now to the car: Enough has been said about looks, engine, interiors by the forum. To me though, the success of this car will be a precedent of sorts for the Indian car market. Can we accept un-orthodox segments in India which will open up so many different types of cars?

-> The success of S-Cross will pave way for more larger hatchbacks (Focus, Golf etc.,)
-> The success of S-Cross will open-up the dead estate segment (so miss them)
-> The success of S-Cross will make people pay for cars not purely by size, but for quality

While the traditional sedan still rules over the hatchback (i20 changed that to some extent), the traditional "SUV shape" rules over the cross-over, the S-Cross is a bold move by Maruti.

For the sake of all the segments mentioned above, I so wish that this model succeeds. If only Maruti gave it a better frond-end treatment :(
Aragorn is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 13:49   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmrsm View Post
The vehicle displayed was black in colour ----
S- Cross doesn't come in black- could be the Caffeine brown.
Old 27th July 2015, 13:57   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Thanks for the clarification, but it did look black to me, possible due to the lighting perhaps!

Question - Is the caffeine brown so dark that it could appear black based on the lighting?

Maybe someone from Coimbatore could have a look and clarify.
Old 27th July 2015, 14:13   #186
Senior - BHPian

A question for the reviewer and others who have seen the S-Cross in the flesh:

Is removing the parcel tray temporarily (as shown here and here) without folding the rear seats , and then fitting it back again after some time, a quick and easy job for 1 person or quite cumbersome and would need more than 1 person?

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 27th July 2015 at 14:14.
Old 27th July 2015, 14:25   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
What you won’t:

• Unappealing styling. Looks like a big hatchback (not a crossover / SUV)
• No petrol engine, no automatic transmission, no AWD
I think, Indians are grown up enough to accept big hatchback. Unless someone wants to do off roads, SUV is not a positive thing. SUV look would in fact be a negative in my opinion, at least in the looks department.

A petrol S Cross wouldn't make sense unless they offer a 1.6L engine. A 1.4L S Cross will only be as good as jazz petrol and people will not be willing to pay a premium over jazz for the same space and performance (heavier). And I don't think, Suzuki will keep S Cross as cheap as Jazz in price.

Last edited by opendro : 27th July 2015 at 14:26.
Old 27th July 2015, 14:34   #188
BHPian

Wonderful Review!

So, I have found the apt replacement for my Ertiga 1.4

Is the build quality so very different from the ones currently available in Maruti stable? Very Happy about that!
Old 27th July 2015, 14:55   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
The engine area cannot be cleaned by spray water, thanks to the closure of the bottom.
With all the electronics and ECU present in the engine bay, you are better off not spraying the engine bay with water. It is not a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I know where my money is going to be put now...
Agree, if I had been in the market for an upgrade anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
Finally! A Maruti with a Soul!
Certainly sounds like it from the review. The Swift has soul, as far as I have read, so not the first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
S-cross AWD (All-Grip) is not meant only for snowy conditions.
+1 This would have been a good differentiator from the other crossovers in the market, but then they may have been concerned about the price which will already be high due to the imported 1.6. AWD is generally offered on the higher variants of the vehicle, which would already have been expensive due to the imported engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
I'm sold on the car except for just the one flaw - not so good NVH.
I think the NVH is good, just that it doesn't insulate all that well from outside traffic or road noise. Might try underbody coating or an extra set of mats. Worst case get the doors damped, but I agree that it should have been taken care of at the expected price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Now, after reading the review, it looks like except for the looks, Maruti has got it bang on. It's a very honest effort.

- Creta has optional 6 airbags with ESP on top end trim.
- Creta gets the AT option. Missing on S-cross.

If they price the 1.6L right, we really have an interesting battle on our hands.
It looks like the S-cross is better suited for enthusiasts vs the Creta.
I was quite interested in the Creta, but have lost interest for now based on reports of the saggy suspension. I'll hold my judgement and interest until the official review or a test drive. So far the SCross seems to be winning it for the enthusiasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- As Vid mentioned, after seeing the Creta up close and also reading this, I get the same feeling that indeed S-Cross will invoke driving emotion; much more than the Creta.
- The best part being the ride quality. On a head to head comparison I think S-Cross will be much better. (Will wait for some one to confirm though).
Bang on.

Quote:
- I expect the top end 1.6 to be about 16L OTR Bangalore.
Here's hoping you (we) aren't disappointed

On a separate note, Suzuki seems to use the same power window buttons even on their more expensive cars, so we shouldn't complain. I just feel that VW know how to make things look and feel high-quality, while Maruti doesn't even though they definitely do the job and last.

Since the S-Cross was launched internationally in 2013, I expect there to be a face lift (if not a full new version) around 2018? If that is the case, then it will be just in time to be in consideration for my next car
Old 27th July 2015, 14:56   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmrsm View Post
Thanks for the clarification, but it did look black to me, possible due to the lighting perhaps!
The color you looked at most probably was the 'Granite Gray' which is close to black although not really black.
ashua is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 15:10   #191
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
If I may say so, quoting from our own Fiat Punto Evo test drive report:

Punto and Linea already have soft touch plastics on the dashboard.

--Anoop
Punto, Linea and I think even the Zest has it I think and even the Safari Storme. I knew about the Punto and Linea but discounted any other cars that nobody bothers to buy.

I was referring more to the popular cars like Hyundai, Maruti, Ford, VW, skoda not having this whereas Maruti not known to have premium touches are offering this. But that's a topic for another day.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 15:13   #192
BANNED

Let me remind Maruti: In-order for SCross to sell, you need to price the base 1.3L Diesel at max 8.5L. Anything beyond that will become another disaster. This way, you can also cash-in on all the negative comments Hyundai received while pricing Creta.
Old 27th July 2015, 15:20   #193
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonderful review and pictures, eye for detail very evident

-I felt the USB and Aux could have been located next to the storage space that has the 12V socket instead of them being located deep inside the storage space below the handrest console.

-Rear Air-con vents should have been there, could have been located behind the front center armrest console

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Navigation is via pre-loaded maps on an SD card:
Are these MapMyIndia maps or some other vendor's ? Are updates covered ? Any more details on this ?

Quote:
On the Indian version, it makes little difference, since the raised boot flooring creates the recessed bin in any case
Hope the folks at Maruti don't take a cue and remove the bins as a cost-cutting move
Old 27th July 2015, 15:21   #194
Senior - BHPian

Wow!!

What a surprise. Saw this review when I least expected it to.

And honestly, after the lackluster Celerio DDIS, I am very happy with the way Maruti(sorry, Suzuki) has stitched this premium Crossover.

To start with, we have to let go of the Maruti badge when addressing the S Cross.
And that is a difficult proposition to start with in the first place.

Maruti Suzuki(like a Laxmikant Pyarelal) sort of looks better in unison.
Anyways, back to the car--
  • Few of the points I loved is that now you get a 6 speed Suzuki with a decent torquey Diesel heart.
  • Also, though S2 commented on the side pic of the S cross vs the i20 Active, I for one, actually felt that the S Cross looked a lot better and sort of found the Active bland!!
  • The consoles looks premium and the neat font on the MID is a two thumbs up for me
  • The "magic seats" and the way it can liberate a humungous 810 ltrs of space. Again, kudos.
  • The decent 364 lts of boot space
Few grouses:
  • Why use the same steering wheel as a Rs. 5 lac offering? Not done for a car that is expected to cost close to 12 lacs+ on road.
  • The flimsy power window switches. Negative marking for them
  • The integration of the rear washer looks out of place.
  • The door request sensor in rubber may not last the distance
  • Rear AC? Whither art thou? And what about a cooled glove compartment and a better USB integration.
Honestly, this is nit picking for the sake of it.
I, for one, actually liked this Suzuki product and honestly think the pricing will play a big role in its success.

Overall, happy with what the company has offered.

Quote:
Some of my notes:

- I expect the top end 1.6 to be about 16L OTR Bangalore.
That would be a pretty optimistic pricing.

My bet would be closer to the Rs. 14-Rs. 14.5 lacs tops for the Top Spec S Cross.

Hope I am right and you are wrong!!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th July 2015 at 15:49. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your post within the 30 minute edit window to add/edit your posts.
Old 27th July 2015, 15:32   #195
Senior - BHPian

I was at Mathurz Road last moning and walked into the Hyundai Motor Plaza to check out the Creta. Unlike the Hyundai cars in the past, the interiors of the Creta looked pretty average to me. The plastic quality did not do justice to a car that is being sold at Rs 15 lakh + ( On road). I had earlier seen the S Cross at the Saket Select CIty Walk mall and it definitely seemed to have better interiors.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks