Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2015, 17:57   #991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
It's open now! Khivraj motors are running the showroom at Ambattur. I saw the car a couple of weeks before at Vijaya Forum mall and gave my number.
Thanks. Where in Ambattur? I am planning to stop by.
Old 8th August 2015, 18:44   #992
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_g_m View Post
Right opposite VW ABRA motors Mogapair. Search google.
Old 8th August 2015, 18:57   #993
BHPian

Quote:
I am in trichy now and plan to come to chennai after a couple of weeks. I only have the number of the RM with me. I can send it if you want.
Old 8th August 2015, 18:58   #994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
I am in trichy now and plan to come to chennai after a couple of weeks. I only have the number of the RM with me. I can send it if you want.
Yes pls. I will call them and ask for details.
Old 8th August 2015, 19:03   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Yes pls. I will call them and ask for details.
I've deleted the phone number. If you want it again, ask.

Last edited by sunsetorange : 8th August 2015 at 19:21.
Old 8th August 2015, 19:47   #996
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Sill guard is - LED Sill Guard.
Attachment 1401116

Attachment 1401117
Isn't there a way to refuse the std accessories? IMO the illuminated sill guard on Ciaz looked very aftermarket & cheap. It was quoted 4000, I went with just the normal sill guard which was way better and was just 800bucks.

Btw I secretly wish Suzuki brings out a nasty awesome surprise plonking the 1.6 NA petrol engine into the Scross and pricing it cheaper than the DDIS 200.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 8th August 2015 at 19:52.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 19:48   #997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreepathy View Post
Nexa yet to open in Ahmedabad. But vehicles are available at kataria’s makarba showroom/service centre. Went there today.RM Ketan Prajapati had promised to arrange test drives of both the vehicles and he kept his word. Had gone there with a friend.

Details (1.6)

Only a short drive was available

A longer td will be available later (RM said in the evening)

Drove it through a mix of good/bad/ugly roads. Some huge potholes too
Couldn’t take it to typical city traffic. Was driving around the showroom

The clutch is very light

Didn’t feel much vibrations on the gear stick

Engine is pretty silent (maybe more than 1.3?)

Gear slots smoothly

Once in turbo zone the car is super fun. It just takes off. Didn’t find it to be unmanageable type as has been mentioned in posts here. This coming from a petrol guy whose only diesel experience is a ritz that too for just a few days. Yes, in city traffic it could be tricky

A smile was plastered on my face once the vehicle took off. Ditto with friend too. Pure madness, said my friend after driving the 1.6.
Even before turbo kicks in, it is manageable

Suspension is good, easily handled the rutted/potholed stretches

Good braking
I too visited kataria nexa to test drive the 1.6 again as some mentioned that they couldn't feel vibration in the clutch like i had mentioned. I can confirm that the vibration is indeed not present innthe 1.6 clutch. It maybe an issue with the car at kiran NEXA. But as far as i remember the S cross at kataria NEXA hadn't finished PDI as nothing in the car was working except for the gearbox and engine. The instrument cluster and the A/c wasn't working. How are two cars one with PDI and one without have so much difference in the clutch where the one without the PDI had a better clutch response.

Regarding the driveability part the 1.6 still felt lazy below 2000 rpm after which it throws you in the seat. This effect is not there in the 1.3. Lifting the car solely on clutch was easier in the 1.3 compared to the 1.6. Me and my friend(drives a dzire zdi) both stalled the 1.6 when we first tried to lift the car in 1st gear solely on clutch. My friend stalled on the entrance slope as well. Understanding the clutch and powerband is very important to enjoy that meaty 1.6

Yesterday kiran NEXA booked 230 cars as per my RM and told me the waiting stands at 4 weeks as of now. Kataria NEXA also gave a similar time line. No mention of discount on the 1.6 as of now.

Test drove the ciaz and S cross back to back to understand the responsiveness of the national engine in both the cars. I felt that the 1.3 feels a bit less strained in the ciaz compared to in the S cross. I never needed to cross the 2000 rpm mark as the car gained speed easily. The added weight of the S cross does make a difference but doesn't make the car underpowered by any means. It would just make the S cross lazy on the highways.

Also, there is news of the ciaz being shifted to NEXA in the coming months. The ciaz would be updated with more features and then shifted as per my RM at NEXA kataria. No mention of the 1.6 in the ciaz though.

Last edited by rockporiom : 8th August 2015 at 19:53.
rockporiom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 19:49   #998
Senior - BHPian

My uncle in A'bad wants to change his car and his contenders were the newly launched Creta and S-Cross. He asked me to review both the cars in available engine formats and provide my opinion. Since I recently moved to Swift, I am not at all inclined to buy either of the Compact SUVs. Could not test drive Creta due to time constraints.

I managed to test drive S-cross 1.6 and 1.3, both in top trims :

First, the S-cross 1.6 :

1) Vibrations were evident, specially just off idle when I started to drive the car from standstill. Managed to stall it too, which is rather rare for me.

2) NVH. Does not justify the price tag. MSIL had sufficient time to work on this. Engine noise is way too much apparent for a modern car costing so much.

3) Excellent ride quality. But the JK tyres on the S-cross were making a lot of noise. The sales person confirmed that there are few customers who were ready to cancel the booking if the car came only with JK Tyres.

4) Space is nice all round.

5) Excellent seats. Very good thigh support. I am slightly on the heavier side at 90+ kg as of now. Yet found them accommodating and supportive.

6) The car does not have massive presence, but its not small either. Not exactly high, but good enough.

7) Very nice front visibility. Driving my Swift after S-cross was like I am locked down in a dark room. But the refined nature of Swift's petrol motor more than made up for it.

8) Engine : Surprisingly, never thought I would say this, but the 1.6 felt ordinary at low engine speeds. Yes, once the rpm needle started climbing, it was more of a smile on face, but for day to day driving in relatively dense traffic, this could be bothersome. Make no mistake, this motor has full potential to be highway beast.

9) I expected brakes to be better.

10) Very easy ingress and egress. Not too high, not too low. Very practical.

11) Very nice build. Much better than any other Maruti on sale ( except CBU products ).

Nice but certainly did not feel worth the money thanks to a) high price, b) Noisy motor, c) Turbo Lag.

The S-cross 1.3 ( only engine and drive quality part as other points are mentioned above ):

1) Engine is as well tuned as in Ciaz. Yes, turbo lag is there, but its surprisingly more livable than 1.6. No vibrations.

2) Engine noise apparent and the presence of diesel under the hood is felt all the time.

3) Felt more responsive overall as compared to 1.6. If major driving is going to be in the city, I would suggest 1.3 over 1.6. 1.3 seems sufficient for the task, though not as extra ordinary as "Nexa".

Other points :

Maruti has made a strong effort for Nexa. The sales persons were just bit more sophisticated than regular Maruti showrooms. The guy with whom i was interacting told me that 1.3 S-cross as "Super Turbo" against Ciaz having just Turbo. This is because they wanted to give SUV power to S-cross. He could not explain further and I did not want to ask further.

S-cross could be a nice product if NVH were better. The euphoria of getting a Swift has settled down in me and I can confirm that Swift petrol felt much, much more refined than both, 1.3 and 1.6 S-cross specially at lower rpm range. Its true that S-cross is diesel, but the price of S-cross is way too high as compared to Swift and expectations would naturally be more from S-cross.

Overall, a strong, practical car let down by incredibly high price ( for what it offers ) and noisy pair of motors.

Ciaz diesel V/S S-Cross :
For me, I would go with S-cross for dynamics and easier ingress/egress. For social status and boot space, go for Ciaz diesel. Infact, Ciaz felt more "upmarket" from exteriors than S-cross.

Additional Info : Cant confirm or be very sure, but the sales person did tell me that in early 2016 Vitara is going to be launched.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 8th August 2015 at 19:57.
aaggoswami is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 19:56   #999
Distinguished - BHPian

Comparing refinement levels of a petrol with a diesel? You would get disappointed with the diesel everytime, except if you are in a Hyundai 1.6 crdi.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 20:19   #1000
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Isn't there a way to refuse the std accessories? I went with just the normal sill guard which was way better and was just 800bucks.
Standard accessories are optional. They have both LED as well as Normal steel door sills

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Additional Info : Cant confirm or be very sure, but the sales person did tell me that in early 2016 Vitara is going to be launched.
That is the CUV (< 4m)to rival EcoSport and speculated to be called as 'Vitara Brezza'.
Old 8th August 2015, 20:47   #1001
Distinguished - BHPian

Someone said that RM was telling about Ciaz being added into Nexa showrooms. This will affect Scross sales.

I disagree when people say Scross buyer will not look at a C segment sedan. The better build quality, added features and bigger tyres are the reasons we (tbhpians) rate scross better than ciaz. But for an average buyer, looking ciaz besides scross in a Nexa show room, the following thoughts would favor Ciaz:
1. Looks
2. Same engine + better fuel economy + better driveability + better power-weight ratio
3. Boot
4. Nicely put interiors (won't be a deal breaker when compared to scross though scross is better in this department)
5. Rear ac vent
6. Alloy design
7. BIG MONEY = BIG CAR logic
8. Beautiful projector headlamps at all trims
All this for more or less same price!

If people were obsessed with solid build quality like most of us here are, we would be seeing more Tata Safaris, Ventos and Lineas than Honda City's and Swifts.

So I don't think Suzuki would cannibalise Scross's sales by putting in Ciaz at Nexas, unless it wants to promote the latter more than the former.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 8th August 2015 at 21:07.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 20:48   #1002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Comparing refinement levels of a petrol with a diesel? You would get disappointed with the diesel everytime, except if you are in a Hyundai 1.6 crdi.

Some thing here for the experts. What does Hyundai do better for engine refinement in their diesels? The VWs, the BMWs etc just cannot match.
Old 8th August 2015, 22:02   #1003
Team-BHP Support

by my experience from little different segment , I see 1,6 L as a great failure period ..

If Maruti was selling only 1,6 L they could have still managed some numbers but they will have a tough job in convincing people buy exactly same looking car for 30 % more cost. To give an idea how difficult is it to sell higher engine cars when we have siblings with smaller engine , we can compare sales of some of premium cars - BMW is able to sell one 530 D for every 20 or so 520 D they sell , I understand same hold good for M 250 vs 350 . Things are so bad that one of 530D is sitting at local dealership for past 8 months whereas they are selling at least 4-5 520-D every month .No matter how many enthusiasts we have on forums or in real life everyone wants a full bang for the buck and most of decisions in this segment will be done in consultation with family which further dilutes any call from heart of fellow auto enthusiast . Now think - if we folks don't spend an extra 20 % on a brand like BMW for extra 2 cylinders & lot of other extras between 520 & 530 - how can Maruti possibly get 30 % Extra ?

For anyone who is desperate to get 1,6 L - my suggestion will be to wait for a while , both Dealers and Company will get taste of this pricing very soon and we can very soon have large discounts before they actually either withdraw sales of this model or start producing engine locally .

Last edited by Turbanator : 8th August 2015 at 22:18.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 22:28   #1004
BHPian

Just a thought that came to my mind

If Ciaz would indeed be coming to the NEXA outlets what changes would we be expecting here? Would the changes be only cosmetic or will there be any structural changes to make the car feel better built?

Any wishlist from existing owners?

I would personally like the following in the ciaz:

1) Cruise control
2) all wheel discs
3) auto HID's and wipers
4) the DDIS 320 with a better tune and humanly acceptable premium
5) Better quality plastics
6) better fit and finish
7) May be a 6 speed auto on the diesel and petrol or the TCSS
8) An optional 1.6 petrol engine

All this/some of this can be added by pricing it above the S cross and lower than the city. Since the price difference between the city and ciaz is pretty big they can add additional kit and make the car more sensible when comparing it against the city.
Old 8th August 2015, 22:45   #1005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
For anyone who is desperate to get 1,6 L - my suggestion will be to wait for a while , both Dealers and Company will get taste of this pricing very soon and we can very soon have large discounts before they actually either withdraw sales of this model or start producing engine locally .
Or Maruti might have a different plan to increase the price of 1.3 variants to make 1.6 a little more attractive. 1.6 is surely on an experimental run and once Maruti tunes it perfectly which they are very capable, they will start assembling locally and the prices may come down a little. Right now 1.3 s-cross is a hit and the prices will only go north. If they can sell 1 DDIS 320 for 10 DDIS 200 for the first year, they won't worry with the 1.6 volumes and pricing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks