Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2015, 23:32   #946
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Just occurred, isn't this similar to SRV, a vehicle that flopped big-time in Indian market ? If that flopped, wouldn't Scross get the same treatment ? I think that was the only premium hatch in India, or was there some other too ?
I would say, something in between an SRV and the forester. (2 flops)
SRV was a flop, but this time its not from GM
sandygordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 23:39   #947
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
I would say, something in between an SRV and the forester. (2 flops)
Epic
Though I haven't checked out this one but I feel this ain't a proper crossover too, its just what Maruti is calling it. I think its just an overgrown hatch. Hope this one flops too & the Company get to learn a lesson or two on "not to loot consumers all the time"!
Old 7th August 2015, 23:46   #948
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Just occurred, isn't this similar to SRV, a vehicle that flopped big-time in Indian market ? If that flopped, wouldn't Scross get the same treatment ? I think that was the only premium hatch in India, or was there some other too ?
Success depends on a lot of other factors as well- and not just the product. Trust me, I drive a FIAT. That said- isn't this exactly what everyone wanted?

Slightly European build, premium interiors and features list of the Koreans, higher ground clearance but still decent handling like the Italians, reliability of the Japanese and the service network coverage of the Indian giant.

Edit after reading above post- It is designed from ground up as a proper crossover for the European market. Only problem is the missing AWD system here.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th August 2015 at 23:49.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 00:02   #949
BHPian

Quote:
My heart is still with the S cross.

My 1.6 girlfriend has eloped with a richer brat. Either I can marry her 1.3 sister (They say she is crippled) who is sympathetic towards me ( and used to adore me ) or I can go for an arranged marriage with Ms Creta whom the world and my family likes. I am not sure as what to do. But they say, marriages are made in heaven, but not all are.
Trust me Mate. Ms. 1.6 was great only till the affair lasted she wasn't worth it (literally) where as her sister 1.3 is much more loyal trust me i tried them both back to back

Jokes apart, IIRC you had a diesel dzire if that is the case you would be pretty impressed with the S cross. Where the Dzire hesitated to accelarate post 3000 rpm this girl wants to go all the way to 5000 whenever you floor it. Sometimes, it was only when the rev limiter kicked in did I realized I was revving the nuts off her. The other guy that test drove the car with me booked the car seeing my happiness in driving the car In fact he wasn't allowed to drive the car as he didn't have his driver's license on him. So he booked it without even driving it.

Whether it is the NVH, ride, handling, practicality or space the S cross is leagues ahead of any other offering from Maruti barring the two biggest battle guns the Kizashi and Grand Vitara.
Old 8th August 2015, 00:11   #950
BHPian

Awesome news, MS launches a facelifted bootless SX4, calls it S-Cross, and charges Rs. 16.73 /- (OTR Mumbai).

Please tell me why this, even remotely, is a better package than the Honda City with Sun-Roof and CVT?

What is premium about the SX4 S-Cross cabin? Two airbags, Ciaz ICE unit, ordinary seats and almost zero innovation in product terms. MS is launching a 2013 SX4 variant in late 2015, and calling it premium, full marks for audacity!

Last edited by Fornax : 8th August 2015 at 00:12.
Fornax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 00:22   #951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax View Post
Awesome news, MS launches a facelifted bootless SX4, calls it S-Cross, and charges Rs. 16.73 /- (OTR Mumbai).

Please tell me why this, even remotely, is a better package than the Honda City with Sun-Roof and CVT?

What is premium about the SX4 S-Cross cabin? Two airbags, Ciaz ICE unit, ordinary seats and almost zero innovation in product terms. MS is launching a 2013 SX4 variant in late 2015, and calling it premium, full marks for audacity!
Trust me mate you need to drive and experience the car to believe it. I drive a Honda city SV CVT myself. I almost traded it in for the S cross Zeta DDIS 200 when suddenly i regained conciousness and managed to escape some how. The S Cross makes sense only till the DDIS 200, the 1.6 is only for name sake for hushing the critics. Now, if you compare diesel City to the DDIS 200 everything suddenly starts making sense. The S cross is for people who wouldn't want to own a sedan due to the congestion in the cities due to increasing traffic. Many on this forum themselves said they would prefer something like the S cross instead of owning a sedan.

The interiors are well built and are at least 2 to 3 notches above the ciaz. The steering of the alpha variant exudes quality.

The city is 4440 mm in length, the ciaz is 4490 mm in length whereas the S cross is 4300 mm in length. The S cross is smaller on the outside while being practical and giving excellent interior space and rear leg room. Only thing the S cross has less is boot space which is at 375L compared to 510L in the both C2 segment kings.

Last edited by rockporiom : 8th August 2015 at 00:29.
rockporiom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 00:29   #952
BHPian

Quote:
One man's dream is another man's nightmare
Old 8th August 2015, 00:36   #953
BHPian

Quote:
One man's dream is another man's nightmare
The emperor has no clothes!

The S-Cross is SX4 w/o boot. The DDIS 200 is the same 1.25 L diesel engine doing duty on Ritz (priced 6L) amongst others. Nexa is nothing but a Black colored Maruti showroom.

I repeat, the emperor is stark naked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
Trust me mate you need to drive and experience the car to believe it. I drive a Honda city SV CVT myself. I almost traded it in for the S cross Zeta DDIS 200 when suddenly i regained conciousness and managed to escape some how. The S Cross makes sense only till the DDIS 200, the 1.6 is only for name sake for hushing the critics. Now, if you compare diesel City to the DDIS 200 everything suddenly starts making sense. The S cross is for people who wouldn't want to own a sedan due to the congestion in the cities due to increasing traffic. Many on this forum themselves said they would prefer something like the S cross instead of owning a sedan.

The interiors are well built and are at least 2 to 3 notches above the ciaz. The steering of the alpha variant exudes quality.

The city is 4440 mm in length, the ciaz is 4490 mm in length whereas the S cross is 4300 mm in length. The S cross is smaller on the outside while being practical and giving excellent interior space and rear leg room. Only thing the S cross has less is boot space which is at 375L compared to 510L in the both C2 segment kings.
Are you sure, you arent on the Suzuki payroll? What you say is tad rhetorical..."experience the car", "almost traded", "2-3 notches". Please dont take offence, I am just sick of MS shoving these relics as premium to us. With the kit on offer, this would be a third grade car in most developed markets. Their feature sheet in the e-brochure is still talking about bottle holders and glove box illumination as if light bulbs are a novelty!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th August 2015 at 10:50. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote feature to quote and respond to multiple posts.
Fornax is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 00:57   #954
BHPian

Any news about different alloys as accessories anyone?
Old 8th August 2015, 01:01   #955
BHPian

Quote:
With the kit on offer, this would be a third grade car in most developed markets.
A third grade manufacturer in a third world country selling third grade cars to third class people with third grade tactics. It all makes sense.

But second grade manufacturers very successful in 'first world' countries selling third grade cars to people who think they are first class doesn't make sense though.

Last edited by sandygordon : 8th August 2015 at 01:04.
sandygordon is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 01:08   #956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
Correction!! You get cruise control in Zeta, you even get the same ICE as Alpha. Things you will miss out on Zeta over top end Alpha are:
  • Auto HID & Wipers
  • Leather Package
  • Auto IRVM
Bang on! I am pretty much slided towards 1.3 Zeta after seeing the pricing <10L Ex-showroom in Chennai. Earlier was going all over with Ciaz ZDi/City SV/Duster 85 RXL+/110 RXL and wasnt able to find a one thing that satisfied me. S-Cross at that price point is a killer .

I dont see any reviews for 1.3 S-Cross anywhere (probably I am expecting it too soon?). Maruti has provided 1.6 for all reviews and priced 1.3 competitively. Nice marketing strategy.

I am not sure if we will have official review updated with 1.3? If not
sathya_g_m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 01:13   #957
BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure, you arent on the Suzuki payroll? What you say is tad rhetorical..."experience the car", "almost traded", "2-3 notches". Please dont take offence, I am just sick of MS shoving these relics as premium to us. With the kit on offer, this would be a third grade car in most developed markets. Their feature sheet in the e-brochure is still talking about bottle holders and glove box illumination as if light bulbs are a novelty!
Believe me man i would be the last human on earth to be on suzuki payroll. With the fights that i have had with them during my kizashi ownership ensures that i would be the last one to be on their payroll. If you look a few pages back I was one of the first ones to criticize this disaster. I was the one to state all the 17 options that one has when one wants to spend close to 12 lakhs OTR.

I am not promoting the product in any manner nor am i associated with suzuki. All i am saying is that there is a market for the product here. Agreed on what you say that they have removed a lot of features that are given world wide but please tell me what does the competition give you at this price in terms of quality and features?

Mind you i am talking only about the ddis 200 here and not the 320 which was a disaster due to someone at MSIL smoking wrong stuff. Enough has been said on their stupidity in pricing at a premium of 3 lakhs without adding any additional features which also i have mentioned in my previous posts.

As you say this product would be considered as third grade in developed markets in the way it is equipped here but that is the very reason it is equipped differently in different markets at different prices. Had they launched it with everything they had got it would have tanked even before launching. Since it would be competing in a much higher price bracket where people don't even consider a suzuki.

I stated the 17 options that one would have at the price of 12 lakhs OTR ahmedabad but now after i have experienced the product myself i need to correct some statements that i have made or else i would be misguiding many others in and outside the forum wouldn't I?

The quality of most of the components is very good and i am not lying when i say that it is 2-3 notches above the ciaz which is the very reason i told you that you have to experience it to believe it.

Coming to the feature sheet and the mention of stupid things as premium features. Let's not forget in the end the product is a Maruti and when it comes to finally advertising and showing a product's USP they have always done this and its nothing new.

As far as my statement of trading in is concerned. Why shouldn't I? At the same price of the city sv cvt. I get a diesel engine, good leg space, alloys, fog lights, push button start, 7" touchscreen infotainment system, parking sensors, parking camera, all wheel disc brakes, auto folding mirrors and a usable/adjustable front armrest. I believe none of these features are stupid are they? The only thing that stopped me frankly is the absence of an AT variant and my previous sour experience with MSIL.

All the words that i have written in the last few posts are 100% what i have personally experienced and seen. I haven't exaggerated anything over here.

Last edited by rockporiom : 8th August 2015 at 01:19.
rockporiom is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 01:22   #958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_g_m View Post
Bang on! I am pretty much slided towards 1.3 Zeta after seeing the pricing <10L Ex-showroom in Chennai.
:
Will Nexa provide HIDs ? Even if they do, it will be at a premium or as part of some package, a la adventure edition in the duster. I think it will be priced close to 40 k minimum.
Old 8th August 2015, 01:43   #959
BHPian

What difference does HID make wrt normal headlamps? Do they offer much better illumination? Sorry if it is a stupid question (Till date have driven Santro, so not aware of this stuff)
Old 8th August 2015, 05:12   #960
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Quite an interesting question. I would like to pitch in my thoughts here -

Starting with a lighter note -
Quote:
Their feature sheet in the e-brochure is still talking about bottle holders and glove box illumination as if light bulbs are a novelty!
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-untitled.jpg

For starters, Honda City doesn't come with illuminated glove box, and their e-brochure talks about 'brilliant premium headlamps' and 'premium wrap around tail lamps' as if ordinary headlight 60W bulbs are a novelty. Beat that!

Now coming back to the original question. S-Cross neither comes with a petrol variant nor an automatic transmission. So lets compare the diesel variants of these cars and see if the S-Cross does make any sense against the City.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-scross_city.jpg

There is no authentic source of 0-100 timings of the S-Cross 200 as far as I know. However, Ertiga which is slighter heavier has been tested at 14.9. Which should put the S-Cross 200 in the same ballpark as the City. As you can see from the above charts, there is absolutely no comparison between the 1.6 on the S-Cross and the 1.5 in the City. And the City squarely falls against the 1.3 MJD engined S-Cross.

So now lets compare the top variants of either cars -

S-Cross DDiS 200 Alpha v/s Honda City VX(o) MT diesel

S-Cross
Solid Build quality.
All wheel disc brakes.
Overall refinement levels, specially of the diesel engine are way ahead of the "crude, unpleasant" diesel engine note of the City. (Qouted from tbhp City review).

HID projector headlamps.
Automatic wipers.
Auto Dimming IRVMs.

Steering Tilt and Telescopic Adjustment.
Parking Sensors.
Height adjustable seat belts.

7 inch touch screen unit as against 6.2 inch on the City.
Auto headlamps
Rear wash and wipe.

Audio remote controls via smartphone app.
Sunglass holder
Driver Side Vanity Mirror.

Illumination for both driver and co-driver vanity mirrors.
205 section tyres compared to skinny 175 section on the City.

City

Better drive-ability.
Touch screen controls for automatic climate control.
Rear a/c vents
Trunk lamp (The one in the S-Cross is manual).

One additional 12V socket
Electric Sunroof.
6 speed gearbox.

Shark fin antenna.
Two additional tweeters for the music system.

Considering the City VX(o) MT diesel is over 1.1L more expensive only in ex-showroom prices than the S-Cross DDiS 200 - the S-Cross appears good VFM in my humble opinion.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 8th August 2015 at 05:40.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (23) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks