Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2015, 19:04   #2446
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine freak View Post

Also the airbags should have deployed. i have seen another car with a very similar hit. Please find pictures attached.

You will notice the damage to be much less but the airbags worked.

Infact the damage to the ciaz looks an under run behind a truck. As you will notice that the number plate is still intact.
Thanks for clarification. The Ciaz has airbags deployed and the Ertiga with lesser damage has it deployed. You must get it escalated and please keep your pressure on them. I'm a worried person now as this is a contender for my other car.
Old 3rd December 2015, 19:44   #2447
BHPian

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Thanks for clarification. The Ciaz has airbags deployed and the Ertiga with lesser damage has it deployed. You must get it escalated and please keep your pressure on them. I'm a worried person now as this is a contender for my other car.

Maruti seems to be trying to avoid any liability by admitting the airbags should have worked.

Also the car is amazing to drive. So you should consider it, provided it is just a faulty piece in my case.

But the body seems to be very light. I think the damage it has taken by merely hitting a bike is quite a bit.

Last edited by Machine freak : 3rd December 2015 at 20:05.
Old 3rd December 2015, 20:26   #2448
Senior - BHPian

Happy to know that you are safe! That's what counts end of the day!

Shouldn't the airbags deploy only if the system felt the occupants are in danger? By the pictures, I feel the crumple zones have done excellently and absorbed most of the impact. Seatbelts saved you. In broader sense, the car did save you. Why did you still want the airbags to deploy?

On a funny note, you expect it to deploy just because your car has it?
funkykar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 20:37   #2449
BHPian

Quote:

I was over a 100. 3 drunk people on a bike came from the side (without helmets). I braked, but the car must have still hit the bike with some speed.
Thankfully the 3 landed on the side of the road and had a relatively soft landing in the dirt. Escaped with bruises but without broken bones.
The car hit the bike perpendicularly. thus it was not like a pole type of hit or a under truck hit.
Quote:
Maruti seems to be trying to avoid any liability by admitting the airbags should have worked.
I think the damage it has taken by merely hitting a bike is quite a bit.
Glad to know that you are safe. Good job there wearing the seat belts. Given the condition of the car, it certainly does not look like a hit enough for the airbags to NOT deploy. The front portion is like ripped off! I find it hard to believe that the folks on the motorcycle escaped with just bruises and no broken bones. The car definitely has lots of broken parts in the front and good enough in my opinions for the airbag sensors to catch it.

The least Maruti must do is retrieve the sensors and check their condition. Did you try and do that? Remember, admitting a fault or accepting liability is a big thing for a company. It kinda sends the message that their product is unsafe and not well built. So any company will try and cover it up. An independent investigator might be a better idea if you want to get to the cause, but I am not sure if there are services like that.
Old 3rd December 2015, 20:51   #2450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Happy to know that you are safe! That's what counts end of the day!

Shouldn't the airbags deploy only if the system felt the occupants are in danger? By the pictures, I feel the crumple zones have done excellently and absorbed most of the impact. Seatbelts saved you. In broader sense, the car did save you. Why did you still want the airbags to deploy?

On a funny note, you expect it to deploy just because your car has it?

Haha.

By that logic the Ertiga and Ciaz which have been posted before had trigger happy airbags, because the impact on them is not enough to put the occupants in any danger.
Machine freak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 21:05   #2451
Senior - BHPian

Airbags deploy on the basis of both rate of deceleration and where the hit was (i.e., whether the airbag sensors were triggered). Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Given that you hit a bike, maybe the deceleration was not rapid enough for airbag deployment?

Another thread discussing the same issue: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...eploy-why.html

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 3rd December 2015 at 21:07. Reason: added link to thread
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 21:15   #2452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Haha.

By that logic the Ertiga and Ciaz which have been posted before had trigger happy airbags, because the impact on them is not enough to put the occupants in any danger.
By just looking at the pic, cant say if they had to deploy. In your case, you have given the narration of how it unfolded and what you hit. If you could give more details of the other cars and more pics, may be one can try to analyse better.

In your case, car occupants are safe, what more one can ask for? Its upto Maruti how they retrospect accidents on why it deployed or why it did not. No manufacturers airbags work fool proof. Its a piece of human written code that ultimately decides whether to inflate or not. Driving safe anyday helps than count on safety features.
funkykar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 21:21   #2453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But the body seems to be very light. I think the damage it has taken by merely hitting a bike is quite a bit.
The damage seems justified for hitting a mass of 280 KGS at 100+ kmph but non deployment of airbags needs a lot of explanation. I would file a case in consumer court but there is a chance of getting penalized for over speeding.
Old 3rd December 2015, 21:31   #2454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Airbags deploy on the basis of both rate of deceleration and where the hit was (i.e., whether the airbag sensors were triggered). Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Given that you hit a bike, maybe the deceleration was not rapid enough for airbag deployment?

Another thread discussing the same issue: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...eploy-why.html

I was over a 100 and had jammed the brakes. I doubt more deceleration is possible.
Old 3rd December 2015, 21:44   #2455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was over a 100 and had jammed the brakes. I doubt more deceleration is possible.
Under full emergency braking (like in your case) a car will come to a complete stop from 100 km/h speed in about 60 metres, and take about 3-4 seconds.

This rate of deceleration is nowhere near rapid enough for airbags to deploy. As far as the car (and the ECU programming is concerned) this is a "normal" scenario.

Compare this to a collision with a wall, or another car, at the same speed. Car will come to a complete stop in close to zero metres, and take 0.5-1 seconds.
KiloAlpha is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 21:57   #2456
Senior - BHPian

Thank god you're safe.

Honestly, I would be surprised if the airbags deployed. AIRBAGS deploy when the object with which you collide is stationary/causes too much deceleration in which case your car would have been damaged to a greater extent. The bike got hit and was thrown off. The crumple zone has taken whatever little impact well and shielded you. As far as I can observe, your front axles haven't been displaced. So, I would say nothing is wrong with the car.

The ertiga's front shafts(axle) has taken a major hit which you can clearly see. Look at the fender at the end of the wheel arch. Your fender seems intact.

The other white S cross has also taken a hit at a corner. The impact has ripped it. Your car has considerably lesser damage than the other car.

There's nothing wrong with your car.

As funkykar has rightly said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
In broader sense, the car did save you. Why did you still want the airbags to deploy?

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 3rd December 2015 at 22:04.
landcruiser123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 22:46   #2457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Thank god you're safe.

Honestly, I would be surprised if the airbags deployed. AIRBAGS deploy when the object with which you collide is stationary/causes too much deceleration in which case your car would have been damaged to a greater extent. The bike got hit and was thrown off. The crumple zone has taken whatever little impact well and shielded you. As far as I can observe, your front axles haven't been displaced. So, I would say nothing is wrong with the car.

The ertiga's front shafts(axle) has taken a major hit which you can clearly see. Look at the fender at the end of the wheel arch. Your fender seems intact.

The other white S cross has also taken a hit at a corner. The impact has ripped it. Your car has considerably lesser damage than the other car.

There's nothing wrong with your car.

As funkykar has rightly said:

That is y I have asked Maruti to spell out the parameters as per which the airbags function. And the parameters which were not met in this case.

But let us say they did not function because of a faulty design or a malfunction. Would you want to be in an unsafe car with your family?

I want to make sure the car is safe and the airbags would work if required and not take a chance on it.
Machine freak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 23:04   #2458
BHPian

Quote:
That is y I have asked Maruti to spell out the parameters as per which the airbags function. And the parameters which were not met in this case.

But let us say they did not function because of a faulty design or a malfunction. Would you want to be in an unsafe car with your family?

I want to make sure the car is safe and the airbags would work if required and not take a chance on it.
Perfect. This is exactly what I would have done too. May be the impact was not as bad that it warranted airbag deployment, but it is always good to know and rest assured.
DieselAddikt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 23:20   #2459
BHPian

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:

Firstly, good to know that you are safe. I have experienced from so close that in a blink of an eye, world around you changes as far as road accidents are concerned. Fortunately nothing of that sort has happened with you.

Secondly, I'm taking delivery of a scross in a day or two. I should be worried looking at this, but I'm not getting disturbed by this, I don't know why. Purchasing a new car feeling is overshadowing everything.

Lastly "y" = why.

Drive safe.

And a question to fellow bhpians.
Can anybody confirm the updated Maruti loyalty bonus while purchasing scross. I'm getting 85K dealer discount and 40K loyalty bonus for scross 1.3 alpha. That brings on road price to 11.90L in ahmedabad. I have paid 10K booking amount. Tomorrow I'll make rest of the payment and take delivery.

Last edited by chintu_91 : 3rd December 2015 at 23:24.
Old 3rd December 2015, 23:36   #2460
Senior - BHPian

MF

Glad you are safe.

The Airbag front impact sensor is located behind the RHS headlamp.
Car hit the bike perpendicularly and most of impact was at the center and left side.
Damage to Driver side apron (RHS) was not enough to activate the impact sensor.
Hence, airbags did not deploy.

The build quality of S cross is the best ever by Maruti Suzuki.
No point comparing it with the beautiful tin can "Ciaz".

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_7254.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
The first s cross accident where driver lost his life is in the link below. If the report is trustworthy, there is no evidence for deployment of airbags there also..

http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/08/car...ior-to-launch/
Airbag system is not designed to activate in rear impacts, rollovers and sideward collisions.

Last edited by kpzen : 3rd December 2015 at 23:52.
kpzen is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks