Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2018, 18:04   #676
BHPian

Re: Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehacker View Post
You can easily get around 1.8L discount on the ex-showroom for Abarth Punto. You can try to negotiate further. In my opinion, this is the bargain of the century.
My dealer is offering a cash discount of around 1.5L. I think I should negotiate a bit hard! BTW can you please share the OTR price and break-up of your deal?
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2018, 21:36   #677
BHPian

Got the below message after doing a test drive of this beast today. I drove it for the first time. This car has insane power and acceleration is simply devastating, which will just get on you. Haven't booked one yet but on enquiries I was informed that delivery will be done in 10 days.

*Landmark Fiat*. Buy your Favourite Fiat Abarth Punto Car *Rs.2 Lakh*/- Discount,🎉 Hurry don't miss the opportunity. Offer valid till *2/Dec/2018*(Sunday)
jbpanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2018, 22:36   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpanda View Post
*Landmark Fiat*. Buy your Favourite Fiat Abarth Punto Car *Rs.2 Lakh*/- Discount,�� Hurry don't miss the opportunity. Offer valid till *2/Dec/2018*(Sunday)
Thanks for the info mate! Have you got any clue whether this discount is offered on ex-showroom price or on-road price? Also, did they mention anything about the final on-road price post discount?

Last edited by Pferdestarke : 1st December 2018 at 22:54. Reason: Typo
Old 1st December 2018, 23:12   #679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Thanks for the info mate! Have you got any clue whether this discount is offered on ex-showroom price or on-road price? Also, did they mention anything about the final on-road price post discount?

Discount is on the on-road price. Depending on the registration State the figure will vary about INR 10,000 from the final on-road price of INR 9.40 Lakhs. This I assume is because of year end discounts. I was also told that the vehicle is expected to be manufactured August/ September 2018. Do keep us posted about your experience.
Old 2nd December 2018, 17:52   #680
Senior - BHPian

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-47380540_2271497082884564_8923821320911716352_n.jpg

Have driven the car for 200 kms, mostly in city confines. Its about getting used to the torque spread, and its pretty easy going. Been getting 10.5-11 kmpl. Seats are way better than my silver Punto, very comfortable. Plus, the ride even with stiff Eibach springs is fantastic. And this is surprising being a petrol. The diesel rode a wee bit stiff.

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-47363170_2271786119522327_3984909479438188544_n.jpg

And here is the pic of Linea elbowrest with changed fabric top to match the Abarth Punto.

Last edited by sidindica : 2nd December 2018 at 17:57.
sidindica is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2018, 22:48   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Have driven the car for 200 kms, mostly in city confines. Its about getting used to the torque spread, and its pretty easy going. Been getting 10.5-11 kmpl. Seats are way better than my silver Punto, very comfortable. Plus, the ride even with stiff Eibach springs is fantastic. And this is surprising being a petrol. The diesel rode a wee bit stiff.

And here is the pic of Linea elbowrest with changed fabric top to match the Abarth Punto.
That car in black looks mean and waiting to launch and demolish any other car in its vicinity. How much does the elbow rest cost including the fabric top and fitting? Aftermarket I presume?

I am considering to buy one solely to please the enthusiast in me. The acceleration during the test drive has got on to me and it's just irresistible. I drive about 70-80 kms per day for my office commute from Gurgaon to Delhi. It would be good to get your advice and feedback.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd December 2018 at 00:20. Reason: Minor formatting
Old 2nd December 2018, 23:50   #682
Senior - BHPian

The armrest is a whole part of Linea and entire lower console with bracket and mounting and AC vent and pipe is to be changed. I had the whole set in my old Punto Evo and swapped the same in Abarth. Costs approx 10-11k I think. Get the car you will love it.
sidindica is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 11:02   #683
BHPian

The arrival

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-img_20181205_170318_2.jpg

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-img_20181205_163634_2.jpg

I have driven it for 300 odd kms. As till date, I have driven only NA and lower powered cars, it is taking me some time to getting used to the turbo kick and managing it in the bumper-to-bumper traffic.

I was able to get into a good driving positing within a few minutes of driving this car. I am 6'1". However, gearshifts are a bit annoying, because of the infamous "rubbery" feel, particularly in the stop-n-go traffic but surely is not a deal breaker at any cost. Also, I have heard that this "rubbery" feel tapers a bit after driving the car for a few thousand kms, not sure how far that is true. The test drive vehicle, which had ~8k kms on the odo, definitely was not this annoying in traffic, so I am assuming that mine would get better as I drive it for a few thousand kms.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th December 2018 at 14:33. Reason: Inserting images as attachments.
thehacker is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 12:59   #684
BHPian

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review

Quote:
The arrival

However, gearshifts are a bit annoying, because of the infamous "rubbery" feel, particularly in the stop-n-go traffic but surely is not a deal breaker at any cost. Also, I have heard that this "rubbery" feel tapers a bit after driving the car for a few thousand kms, not sure how far that is true. The test drive vehicle, which had ~8k kms on the odo, definitely was not this annoying in traffic, so I am assuming that mine would get better as I drive it for a few thousand kms.
Invest in the Bonalume short shifter which is nothing but a shorter gear stick that reduces the gear travel and gives a better shift - diagonally (2nd to 3rd) and vertically (1st to 2nd). The abarth really begs for it. I have it on my Evo 90hp and it makes a difference for sure, more so on the abarth. Also the gear play at idle is no more present after Bonalume.

And btw congrats on getting the endangered beast home!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th December 2018 at 14:35. Reason: Removing images from quoted post. Thanks
Waspune is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 16:39   #685
BHPian

Quote:
The arrival

That car looks gorgeous! I test drove it again today and also asked my wife to try once. She really liked it though she found it a bit difficult to cope with the powerful acceleration and braking. I have managed to convince her to go for a black Abarth instead of a Thar which she was initially keen on. One has to drive this to believe it. Actually brings smile on your face, each time you drive it. I intend to use it mostly for my daily office commute from Gurgaon to Delhi. Have a great time driving this!
Old 9th December 2018, 18:05   #686
BHPian

Quote:
Also, I have heard that this "rubbery" feel tapers a bit after driving the car for a few thousand kms, not sure how far that is true. The test drive vehicle, which had ~8k kms on the odo, definitely was not this annoying in traffic, so I am assuming that mine would get better as I drive it for a few thousand kms.
It definitely gets better over the first 5000km. The second-to-first remains a bit sticky. Also, there's so much else to love about this car that you will learn to be more forgiving of it.
Congratulations and enjoy your car!
Old 13th December 2018, 11:36   #687
Senior - BHPian

Cross posting my query from another thread:

While discounts on the Abarth variants are quite lucrative now, what is the future of Fiat in India? More importantly, will one get proper service backup and after sales support if one purchases an Abarth Punto today? Or would we need to identify some independent mechanic who can work with the T Jet engine?

I guess this uncertainty is what will stop most people from picking one up today.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 01:27   #688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I guess this uncertainty is what will stop most people from picking one up today.
True.

I do not expect Fiat to be around for much long. Not when they are selling less than 50 cars a month and a very out of date portfolio. Support should not be a problem. FCA is here to stay with JEEP, which has reasonable success with the Compass. You will still be able to take your car to a FCA authorized service outlet. Don't expect wonders in service quality though.

What you need to brace yourself for are delays for parts. If it is a critical component, it may take up to a month. As for the T Jet engine, it is a reliable motor. The base of this engine has been around for a decade and there are no known issues with it so it is highly unlike that any engine component will suffer from premature failure.

Worse case, even if FCA were to disappear, sourcing parts is still possible. These cars are International models and not India specific cars. The fact that so many folks are taking up mechanical modifications to their Abarth goes to show that you are not starved for parts or compatible parts. This isn't for everyone though. Some folks want the ease of having Suzuki or Hyundai levels of service and support. If this is what you are after, I would not buy any FCA car.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 09:40   #689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
More importantly, will one get proper service backup and after sales support if one purchases an Abarth Punto today? Or would we need to identify some independent mechanic who can work with the T Jet engine?
I think this is where the community comes in. Banglore has a lot of Fiat owners and many of them will give you the right recommendation for the place to take your car for service. Most regular stuff can be done outside as well post the warranty period.

Quote:
I picked up my Abarth when the nearest service station was over 150 km away. Even now, we have forum members who stay quite a distance away from the nearest ASC, but it only adds an element of timing the service on a holiday, nothing else. For a once a year service, do you really need the service centre right next to your home? Regarding breakdown, you can avail the fee roadside assistance from Fiat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
True.
FCA is here to stay with JEEP, which has reasonable success with the Compass. You will still be able to take your car to a FCA authorized service outlet. Don't expect wonders in service quality though.
+1. This has been said since a long time now, and I don't think current / future owners of the Abarth or other modern Fiats will have a cause for concern.

Quote:
As for the T Jet engine, it is a reliable motor. The base of this engine has been around for a decade and there are no known issues with it so it is highly unlike that any engine component will suffer from premature failure.
It's one of those old school motors that will last very long provided you keep up the regular and timely service intervals. Most prefer a shorter 10k oil change post warranty but I am doing a 7.5k km oil change and 15k service interval on my Abarth. servicing me good.

Quote:
Worse case, even if FCA were to disappear, sourcing parts is still possible. These cars are International models and not India specific cars.
One of the many reasons to pick up the Abarth today. There are many OEM and aftermarket parts available outside easily.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 10:04   #690
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Cross posting my query from another thread:

While discounts on the Abarth variants are quite lucrative now, what is the future of Fiat in India? More importantly, will one get proper service backup and after sales support if one purchases an Abarth Punto today? Or would we need to identify some independent mechanic who can work with the T Jet engine?

I know of at least two independent garages that would gladly take any Fiat for service. One of them even keep a few low-mileage Fiats parked in their private garages and these Fiats (an old Sienna and a Linea T-Jet) are tended to like children.

Finding garages that would work on these cars are not too hard. It's the resale that will pinch the pocket.

T-Jet engine parts I'm told are easy to procure as they are widely available, but I'm not sure about the costs of upkeep. I'm sure it won't be cheap in the long run!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th December 2018 at 10:42.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks