Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2015, 19:13   #166
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

A much awaited review. Thank you very much. the review is just amazing. I currently having a Zen Estilo and seriously considering an upgrade. This review helped me very much since I am in confusion between Swift and Baleno. Now I will go for Baleno because this is the car I have been waiting for. Thanks to Maruti Engineers. Great car.
Old 17th December 2015, 20:45   #167
BHPian

Great review there!
Being a Swift owner i personally don't see much of a difference between these two cars. Baring a few added electronic features and bit more space it's still more or less a Swift.
Interiors look dull and lack premium feel. Baring the big touch screen at the center the rest of the console looks very plain and uninspiring.
Suzuki should have opted for a bigger 1.4L engine rather than using the same 1.2L used on it's Maruti sibling.
Also an optional Sunroof would have been great!

Kudos to Suzuki for adding those UV cut glasses!
Old 17th December 2015, 21:59   #168
BHPian

Thank you for the great review. I will be receiving my delivery of the Baleno this weekend. After reading all posts, I have added a few accessories to the car. The Baleno ticks all the basic features that I craved in a car. ABS and airbag covered so that's a big plus.
I did go through a lot of cars before zeroing in on the Baleno and was skeptical of most of them. On a last ditch effort just to tick all the names in my list, I went to see the Baleno at Sai Service NEXA, Parel and was instantly bowled over by it. The RM was very polite and I was given a TD of the CVT version. My wife and I loved it and well, we booked it promptly.
I did go back a couple of times and did TD the car on 2 different occasions. The RM was courteous at all times and never disengaged himself from us.
Overall, it was a nice experience.

Dr.Q is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 04:24   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The Maruti Baleno has been launched in India at a price of between Rs. 4.99 - 8.11 lakhs (ex-Delhi).

What you'll like:

What you won't:

• Ordinary interior quality is Swift-like. Several budget grade parts in here
• Rear seat headroom & under-thigh support are limited for tall passengers
• Light build quality (weighs merely 865 kilos). Lacks the solidity of its rivals
• CVT variant only in Delta trim (one above base). Suffers from rubber-band effect on the highway too
• More substantial & premium Elite i20 is priced only Rs. 17,000 - 37,000 above
• Waiting period running over 4 months for some variants / cities
• Sold exclusively through Nexa outlets. Limits the reach of the car
I'm sorry but I meant to ask earlier as well. I see a lot of references to the Elite i20 in the review (understandable given it is direct competitor) but no other car, and I see the Baleno being shamed due to the prospect that a "more substantial & premium i20 is priced only 17k-37k above" what is the reasoning behind this?

Disclaimer: I like nearly every product out there in the market. Each has its own advantages and certain levels of charm. Besides the more competition, the better it is for us eh I have nothing against the i20 at all infact it is one of Hyundai's better efforts and I am certainly not a fan of Maruti so please let us avoid spinning this off into a tangent about brand preference or some nonsense like that and keep the discussion healthy I am merely posting my views on the topic here

I have driven both cars extensively and as far as I can make out, the only advantages the i20 holds over the Baleno are the better looking rims, better interior quality and lower NVH levels (kudos to the Korean folks for making the car feel nice) however, is that reason enough to shame the Baleno in such a manner? I think not. The Baleno comes with its own advantages: trumps the Hyundai at its own game by offering more features (including basic necessities in modern "premium" cars like a fuel efficiency indactor and height adjustable seatbelts etc.), the Baleno also maintains a dynamic nature to its drive which is a scarce resource in this day and age of mass-market cars, and last but not the least it offers dual airbags and antilock brakes across the range. And I must highlight the fact that all these advantages which I have mentioned, are from the base variant itself. Does spending even a rupee more to lose those features especially abs and airbags, for better feeling interiors seem rational? Considering it has clearly been said that the Baleno comes with pretty average interior quality, I don't think that the fact that the Elite i20 is 17k-37k more expensive ought to be listed as a disadvantage when it comes to considering the Baleno. It almost seems commercial when one reads such a point and I did not expect such views or "thoughts" to be penned down in an official t-bhp review.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 18th December 2015 at 04:28.
IshaanIan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 09:56   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Considering it has clearly been said that the Baleno comes with pretty average interior quality, I don't think that the fact that the Elite i20 is 17k-37k more expensive ought to be listed as a disadvantage when it comes to considering the Baleno. It almost seems commercial when one reads such a point and I did not expect such views or "thoughts" to be penned down in an official t-bhp review.
It surely doesn't seem like a commercial to me. It gives another persective to a reader, that's it. But I get your point. All in all Baleno is a better package IMO compared to the i20. Now if the i20 is costlier than the Baleno, how could it be a disadvantage? I think it would have been more apt if it was included in the advantages of the Baleno rather, that despite having better quality interiors and better looking alloys, the i20 loses on ABS and Airbags in all variants and is costlier by 17-37k too.
Old 18th December 2015, 10:35   #171
BHPian

Quote:
I see the Baleno being shamed due to the prospect that a "more substantial & premium i20 is priced only 17k-37k above" what is the reasoning behind this?
It all boils down to personal appeal. Somebody may want 2 airbags with ABS and not worry about interiors. Somebody may need 2 airbags with ABS and still ask for good interiors.

Consider prices in Bangalore. The 17-37k difference is comparing the Baleno petrol Apha (8.6 lakhs) and i20 Asta option (8.9 lakhs). And this may make sense to someone looking for everything with good interiors.

I have myself booked a Baleno petrol Zeta and awaiting delivery and I look at the review from a pragmatic point of view leaving my personal choices to myself.
Old 18th December 2015, 11:08   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma

It surely doesn't seem like a commercial to me. It gives another persective to a reader, that's it. But I get your point. All in all Baleno is a better package IMO compared to the i20. Now if the i20 is costlier than the Baleno, how could it be a disadvantage? I think it would have been more apt if it was included in the advantages of the Baleno rather, that despite having better quality interiors and better looking alloys, the i20 loses on ABS and Airbags in all variants and is costlier by 17-37k too.
The fact that Baleno, with the additional airbags and ABS, is still cheaper than i20 is actually its strength and not weakness. And, not everyone can afford the top model of cars. For example, for Rs 7.3 lakhs OTR, one can get a Baleno delta in Bangalore which has a lot of features, besides the airbags and ABS. What does this money get in an i20?
narenteam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 11:09   #173
BHPian

Quote:

I don't think that the fact that the Elite i20 is 17k-37k more expensive ought to be listed as a disadvantage when it comes to considering the Baleno.
IMHO Mentioning this point in the Disadvantages part does confuses the reader as to what the writer wants to convey.
Maybe it all boils down to the definition of premium?

Considering that Baleno is more feature rich as compared to Elite i20, this point should have been in the Advantages section i.e. "inspite of having more features, Baleno is priced 17K to 37K lesser than the Elite i20."
Just my thoughts.

To highlight some of the features which Baleno has but Elite i20 doesn't are:
  • HID Projector headlamps and DRL
  • Auto Dimming IRVM (Hyundai has replaced the Auto dimming mirror with normal mirror which doen't even have Day/Night functionality - As per the recent posts on Elite i20 official review thread.)
  • Puddle Lamps
  • A proper MID
  • UV cut glass from the factory (Segment first)
  • Rear wash and wipe across all variants
  • Ambient lighting on the footwells

Quote:
I have driven both cars extensively and as far as I can make out, the only advantages the i20 holds over the Baleno are the better looking rims, better interior quality and lower NVH levels (kudos to the Korean folks for making the car feel nice) however, is that reason enough to shame the Baleno in such a manner? I think not. The Baleno comes with its own advantages: trumps the Hyundai at its own game by offering more features (including basic necessities in modern "premium" cars like a fuel efficiency indactor and height adjustable seatbelts etc.), the Baleno also maintains a dynamic nature to its drive which is a scarce resource in this day and age of mass-market cars, and last but not the least it offers dual airbags and antilock brakes across the range. And I must highlight the fact that all these advantages which I have mentioned, are from the base variant itself. Does spending even a rupee more to lose those features especially abs and airbags, for better feeling interiors seem rational?
+1
Sherlocked is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 15:18   #174

Excellent review guys and a long waited one.

I have booked Alpha model diesel and I am waiting for the delivery yet.

Will post my experience once I get it delivered.
Old 18th December 2015, 15:48   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by

To highlight some of the features which Baleno has but Elite i20 doesn't are:[LIST
[*]Rear wash and wipe across all variants
[/list]

+1
It's not across all variants, its from Delta onwards, Sigma does not have that.
sbanerjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 18:42   #176
BHPian

I had booked a Baleno (Alpha | Petrol) in Premium Silver on 17th Nov. I was promised a delivery by 20th Dec. My queue no was 13 for the color and model.

On Dec 5th, I asked for a change in color (Autumn Orange). I was told that one change in color is allowed and will not affect my queue no. I was told that my new queue no was 2.

Today, I went to inquire about the delivery of the car (NEXA Elante Mall, Chandigarh). I went straight to the showroom manager who told me that my process was started afresh when I asked for a change in color. And told me that now that waiting period is three months.

I feel cheated and I intend to call up the NEXA helpline and take the matter with the higher authorities to check if NEXA Elante is trying to pull a fast one on me.
Old 18th December 2015, 19:36   #177
BHPian

I booked a Ray Blue Delta 1.2 but later changed it to Granite Gray. On 7th, I got a confirmation from the Nexa dealership that the car has been allocated to me and is being dispatched and would be delivered to me on 19th. Now my RM says that the car would only arrive late on Saturday night and he would be able to deliver the car only on Monday since they need a day for PDI. Now I do not want to take a day off from work due to very tight work schedules and am willing to take the car on Sunday. My question here is how much time does the dealership generally take to complete their PDI? Can it not be done during the first half of the day and they provide the car to me during the second half? How does it generally work?
Old 18th December 2015, 20:01   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
To highlight some of the features which Baleno has but Elite i20 doesn't are:[list][*]HID Projector headlamps and DRL[*]Auto Dimming IRVM (Hyundai has replaced the Auto dimming mirror with normal mirror which doen't even have Day/Night functionality - As per the recent posts on Elite i20 official review thread.)
Only the top variant of i20 with touchscreen which is Asta(O) now comes with day/night irvm. All lower variants from Sportz still have auto-dimming irvm. The information about normal mirror is wrongly mentioned.
Old 18th December 2015, 20:06   #179
BHPian

Seeing many Balenos in Bangalore. Looks nice on the road, doesn't feel out of place doesn't feel new either. At least saw 3 Alphas and one Delta within a day. And the Alpha DRL is super irritatingly bright, may be they can reduce the brightness based on ambient light ;-)
Old 18th December 2015, 22:42   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by makk View Post
Only the top variant of i20 with touchscreen which is Asta(O) now comes with day/night irvm. All lower variants from Sportz still have auto-dimming irvm. The information about normal mirror is wrongly mentioned.
Just checked the posts, okay the top Asta(o) has manual day/night mirror without auto dimming.
What I meant to say that top variant of Elite i20 looses the auto dimming IRVM which the Baleno gets from Zeta and Alpha variants. (pic attached from Baleno Official Review)
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Baleno : Official Review-155301.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks