Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2021, 11:34   #1216
BHPian

Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Recently the car went for its annual service at Whitefield Honda. Last time it was serviced by the previous owner in May 2020.
All the essential fluids were changed and luckily no major expenses/replacement occurred as such.

Only thing pending is a faulty bearing in the clutch assembly which causes a weird noise when clutch pedal is pressed. The SA confirmed that it wont hamper the car performance in any way. It costs only Rs 980 /- but the labour is Rs 3000 because the entire clutch assembly has to be removed to replace that part. Hence this replacement has been stalled for now.
All in all I am extremely happy with the service.
At the time of delivery the car interiors were fumigated, with white cloth covering all the frequent touch points within the car like door handles, gear knob, front and rear seats.
The total bill came up to around Rs 8200/-, which is a bit higher than usual annual service cost of Rs 6000/- because of additional fluids like gear oil and all that were changed during this service. At present the odo reads 48,xxx kms and the car feels as smooth as new.

I must say that annual service cost of Honda cars is way cheaper than Hyundai's. I feel pained to see that my Eon's annual service costs more than Honda's service cost (for City or BR-V) every time.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda BR-V : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20211219-11.31.50.jpeg  

Last edited by Storm2.0 : 19th December 2021 at 11:39. Reason: Typo
Storm2.0 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 11:41   #1217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
I must say that annual service cost of Honda cars is way cheaper than Hyundai's. I feel pained to see that my Eon's annual service costs more than Honda's service cost (for City or BR-V) every time.
It's just that Hyundai service advisors have bigger monthly revenue targets than Honda service advisors. Nothing to do with cars per se.

For your Eon, get it serviced at Bosch service center or any of the app-based car servicing platform (AutoBrix, Pitstop, GoBumpr, GoMechanic etc). Make sure you opt for servicing at home (instead of a third party garage).

Last edited by SmartCat : 19th December 2021 at 11:49.
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 11:47   #1218
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestion SmartCat. I have been always apprehensive about other private/multi brand service stations because of our extremely poor experiences with Carnation and a nearby FNG in our locality.
Our earlier car, 2008 Honda City Zx was messed around with when it was sent to these multi-brand service stations. But I am sure things would have changed in so many years, hence I'll give it a try for at least my Eon when its time for its next annual service.
Storm2.0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 18:11   #1219
BHPian

Quote:
A leak is detected in the engine bay. SC checked it and found to be leaking drive shaft and qouted ₹8000 for replacement.
Hi I am facing similar leak in my BRV. Did you replace the drive shaft? and was the issue rectified?
Honda BR-V : Official Review-881c6884215c4c8db93d7330831d1581.jpeg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-865fa1436a704fb9a359a80ec2bc8ded.jpeg
Old 13th January 2022, 00:27   #1220

Five years with my Honda BR-V

In 2016, we made the decision to move ahead from our much-loved Skoda Rapid MPI manual petrol. It was not that we were dissatisfied with this excellent vehicle. On the contrary, if we could have reconciled with the one grave defect in this otherwise splendid ride, we would not have had thoughts of a change. The one defect of the Rapid was the abysmally low ground-clearance. Truth to tell, every time we went over a speed-hump or a bit of rough roads, the scraping of the underbody brought my heart to my mouth. It was almost as much agony to me as it must have been to the car!

So, having decided that we wanted to change, what choices did we have in the latter part of 2016; I was firm that we would get an SUV or a crossover, though the better-half had other ideas! I was finally able to convince her that an SUV was the way forward, so that was one battle I had won, though I knew that that victory would come at a price. However, having made this momentous decision, we narrowed down the choices to:
Renault Duster
Mahindra Scorpio
Maruti Suzuki S-Cross
Nissan Terrano

Of these, the Duster and the Terrano were written off because the wife didn’t like their shape! (I told you the earlier victory came at a price 😊. I was pretty sold on the Terrano actually). Then we checked the Scorpio and it seemed that this would be our best choice. It ticked most of the boxes, so we decided that we would start the process. Then, out of the blue, I get a call at the office from the better-half, telling me why we have never thought of the BR-V. I said I knew about the CR-V but had no idea what a BR-V was; and she tells me she is driving behind one at the moment, and she likes it.

Well, I was savvy enough to realize that this was an order! So I contacted Honda and asked for a TD. Wonderfully obliging, they brought one over only two days later and, at first sight, I didn’t like the shape at all! But I was in the minority here; all three ladies in my little household loved it! And so, the day dawned and our “Titanium” Honda BR-V vx iDTEC (Diesel Manual) arrived home!

In the time I have had this vehicle, I have driven roughly65k km in it and, I have had occasion to revise my opinion about it. As I said, originally I did not like the shape, and also I was not certain how difficult it would be to drive around in the city; Hyderabad city traffic is not very conducive to a long vehicle. But I need not have worried: although the wheel-base is long, the car is very compactly built and can manoeuvre through the city quite easily. A few days and I was comfortable, had got the dimensions of the ride mapped out in my mind and could handle it through bumper-to-bumper traffic quite easily. So the city was taken care of; but what about the highways and the off-roads.

I’ve been a die-hard conservationist and birder for most of my chequered career and off-roading is a given for people of our ilk! My Rapid complained most vigorously when coaxed onto even an unpaved road, so I was anxious to see how this one measured up. I need not have worried; although this car is not touted as a rugged multi-tasker, she was more than equal to many of the obstacles I threw at her. She has taken me through the dried-up bed of a sandy stream, gone through thorn-bushes as though born to the task, driven through a ploughed-up field as though it was no more than a minor irritant and many other adventures as though she had been made for precisely these kinds of terrain! I regret I do not have all that many photographs of the places I have been with her, but the few that I have may show how capable a vehicle she is.

And so, how do we rate the experience of owning this vehicle. First the pros:
1) High 210mm ground clearance is a boon
2) 6/7 seating capacity is a plus if we are planning family outings
3) The 1498cc engine, churning out 117.3bhp@6000rpm is big-hearted enough to perform most capably both in city and highway roads.
4) Small enough to be easily manoeuvreable in city traffic.
5) Although Honda is not known for fuel efficiency, I regularly get 17+kmpl in a mix ofcity and highway drives.
6) Driving comfort: the three-way adjustable driver’s seat is extremely comfortable. The cabin is spacious and even the third-row passengers feel the effects of the roof-mounted rear aircon vents.
7) Having some boot space even with the third row seats down is a huge plus. In some of the other 7-seater vehicles, there is hardly any boot space to speak of with the third row in use.

We wouldn’t be complete without listing down a few of the cons:
1) I could have wished that the centre armrest was a bit more comfortable. The stock one is a pain.
2) The headlamps could have been better. The throw of the beam was not really satisfactory. I had these adjusted and got an aftermarket LED bar added.
3) The cabin lights are about as effective as an anaemic glow-worm!
4) The third-row seats are not comfortable for an adult on long rides. Though they are admirable for someone who wants a short power-nap!
5) After 5 years, the second row seats have started to rattle and squeak a bit. Although this is probably due to the springs, it makes it a little noisy inside the cabin, especially on long rides on bumpy roads.

None of the failings however, can take away from the fact that this is an admirable vehicle to have. We have had this now for over 5 years and, even though it is now time to think of a change, it is not going to be easy to part with this doughty old warrior. True, it doesn’t have the frills of the new breed of cars (read ICE, ventilated seats, sunroof, multiple airbags), it is still a very comfortable and reassuring ride. A great pity that the BR-V is no longer in production in India!
Attached Thumbnails
Honda BR-V : Official Review-1.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-2.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-3.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-4.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-5.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-6.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-7.jpg  

Humayun_T is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 17:08   #1221
BHPian

Just the other day, I was telling my nephew how I have completed 4yrs of trouble free ownership with my Honda BRV Petrol CVT.

And lo and behold, the very next day I see this engine check light glowing on my drive back from work!

Honda BR-V : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220116-16.08.00.jpeg

Opened the hood this morning and this is the sight that greeted me

Honda BR-V : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220116-10.41.05-1.jpeg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220116-10.41.05.jpeg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220116-10.41.06-1.jpeg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220116-10.41.06-2.jpeg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220116-10.41.06.jpeg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220116-13.06.11.jpeg

This obviously looks like Rodent Damage

Took the car to the SVC and they had none of the parts in stock and will have to be backordered from Honda.

I have a Zero Dep Insurance Policy from Honda Assure via Bajaj Allainz but as per the SVC this will not be covered under the same.

Kindly help!!
vikash49 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 09:55   #1222
BHPian

Re: Five years with my Honda BR-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humayun_T View Post
None of the failings however, can take away from the fact that this is an admirable vehicle to have. We have had this now for over 5 years and, even though it is now time to think of a change, it is not going to be easy to part with this doughty old warrior. True, it doesn’t have the frills of the new breed of cars (read ICE, ventilated seats, sunroof, multiple airbags), it is still a very comfortable and reassuring ride. A great pity that the BR-V is no longer in production in India!
True, I have a 4-year-old hardly used BRV 18k. Now I am looking for a replacement, have booked XUV700 but shockingly the XUV cabin feels cramped and less airy compared to BRV (except the width of course). My son who is 16 plainly refused XUV700 since BRV has much better headroom, legroom and airy feel to it. The high ground clearance makes it a worry free drive over bad roads. There is hardly any body roll with sedan like driving manners. Initially, I used to hate 1.5L petrol engine initially (was used to low-end grunt of 2.0L diesel before) but over time I have started liking the high rpm free-revving nature, it can more than keep up with 2.0L diesel motors once it gets going. The NVH levels could be better but it is a good touring family vehicle.

The only drawback for me is lack of AWD , since I have plot on a hill with steep inclines and loose gravel road. BRV struggles there due to long cabin and FWD. I am now waiting for Jeep Meridian. I called spinny and cars24 to get a quote for my BRV, they quoted 6 L which was absolutely ridiculous for what the BRV offers so finding it difficult to justify selling the BRV.

Last edited by ScorpWarp : 9th February 2022 at 10:19.
ScorpWarp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 10:40   #1223
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humayun_T View Post
4) The third-row seats are not comfortable for an adult on long rides. Though they are admirable for someone who wants a short power-nap!
If adults are occupying the 3rd row, the seat angle should be at maximum recline.

Quote:
5) After 5 years, the second row seats have started to rattle and squeak a bit. Although this is probably due to the springs, it makes it a little noisy inside the cabin, especially on long rides on bumpy roads.
Cover the metal "hook" (on the car floor) you see in the pic with insulation or packaging tape. That should solve the 2nd row seat rattle problem

Name:  Screenshot_2.jpg
Views: 2317
Size:  73.0 KB
SmartCat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 20:04   #1224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpWarp View Post
Now I am looking for a replacement, have booked XUV700 but shockingly the XUV cabin feels cramped and less airy compared to BRV (except the width of course).
I am in a similar situation. My BRV has done 40K in 5 years. Last 2 years i have not driven it much. Due to constant niggles such as AC not functioning well and having issues in drive shaft and few others, i was planning to get another 6 or 7 seater MUV / SUV. I test drove Safari and also Alcazar. I felt both of these are underpowered (Automatic transmission) and felt BRV CVT performed much better than both. May be i have gotten used to CVT but for a fact i felt both Alcazar AT and Safari were sluggish in the normal mode. I am extremely confused on whether i need to keep spending on BRV or get myself another car. I am sold on Alcazar for the amount of features it provides. I am a very sedate driver and i dont want a car that does over 150 kmph. So i am not bothered about the 2.0 petrol or even the 1.5L Diesel. Just that i am unable make up my mind to let go of my BRV which has been so close to my heart for close to 5 years.

I checked on Spinny and the current rate is between 6.5 to 7.3. The surveyor at Tata did check my car and gave me an initial offer of 6.5 + 40k (7L). I had outright rejected the offer. I will give both Safari and Alcazar another test drive and then may be make up my mind.
Vikashmalya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 23:12   #1225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikashmalya View Post
Due to constant niggles such as AC not functioning well and having issues in drive shaft and few others, i was planning to get another 6 or 7 seater MUV / SUV. I test drove Safari and also Alcazar. I felt both of these are underpowered (Automatic transmission) and felt BRV CVT performed much better than both. May be i have gotten used to CVT but for a fact i felt both Alcazar AT and Safari were sluggish in the normal mode. I am extremely confused on whether i need to keep spending on BRV or get myself another car. I am sold on Alcazar for the amount of features it provides.
Surprised to read about issues with BRV, I have not had a single issue so far.. touch wood. I also know of someone who has no fuss ownership of BRV. When did you notice these issues? Did you try to escalate ? Do have extended warranty especially for drive shaft related problems ?
Anyway, if you looking for feature rich 6 seater then Alcazar might suit you but if you are looking for spacious 7 seater and good diesel auto then Safari. I have not used Honda AT so cannot really comment about Safari's AT but all the reviews for Safari AT were extremely positive. You may consider waiting for Jeep Meridian and new Tucson. Good luck.

Last edited by ScorpWarp : 10th February 2022 at 23:14.
ScorpWarp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 23:22   #1226
BHPian

Quote:
Surprised to read about issues with BRV, I have not had a single issue so far.. touch wood.
I have also not heard of any major issues from my friends who own BRV. However, my story has been different all along. I started facing issues right from week 1. My key fob would not work and it showed low battery the 2nd day of purchase. The AC airflow switch was flimsy and it kind off got stuck in the mode where outside air was flowing in continuously and it was replaced. There were quite a few niggles that kept cropping up frequently. Despite that i just love the way the car is designed. In its segment, it has the best space and CVT is a treat to drive. My major concern was that my AC would not work and i had to refill gas almost 3 times within the 1st 15 months. The issue still exists and during peak summer the AC is almost non existent. The service Center just kept saying the AC was all fine (It was tested umpteen number of times) until the day the 3 years warranty expired. 4th year is when they acknowledged that there is something wrong with the AC. The stock tyres were prone to frequent punctures and i have upsized them to BluEarth. For me, i slowly feeling that the issues are only going to increase (currently my drive shaft is leaking and squeaky noise i get from back shocks) and i really do not trust Honda to help me on this.

I have been owning Honda (City and now BRV) for Close to 10 years now. I love the way both these performed. But i am fed up with their service and the frequent niggles (though i am the lucky odd one here) is what is making me want to change my Car when the asking rate is high.

The Tucson and Jeep are way above my budget. The reason i am looking at Alcazar over Safari is because of the number of issues reported is far lesser. And the cost of ownership is also comparatively lesser than owning a Tata. I like the spaciousness of Safari, however the difference in Power terrain on paper doesn’t seem to exist in real world conditions. They seem to be very similar in power delivery or Safari seems to provide a bit of extra punch but not to the extend a 2L should perform over 1.5L. They both seem to underperform than the BRV CVT. I still have not made up my mind if i should give away and go for another Car.
Vikashmalya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 17:19   #1227
BANNED

Quote:
True, I have a 4-year-old hardly used BRV 18k. Now I am looking for a replacement, have booked XUV700 but shockingly the XUV cabin feels cramped and less airy compared to BRV (except the width of course). My son who is 16 plainly refused XUV700 since BRV has much better headroom, legroom and airy feel to it. The high ground clearance makes it a worry free drive over bad roads. There is hardly any body roll with sedan like driving manners. Initially, I used to hate 1.5L petrol engine initially (was used to low-end grunt of 2.0L diesel before) but over time I have started liking the high rpm free-revving nature, it can more than keep up with 2.0L diesel motors once it gets going. The NVH levels could be better but it is a good touring family vehicle.

The only drawback for me is lack of AWD , since I have plot on a hill with steep inclines and loose gravel road. BRV struggles there due to long cabin and FWD. I am now waiting for Jeep Meridian. I called spinny and cars24 to get a quote for my BRV, they quoted 6 L which was absolutely ridiculous for what the BRV offers so finding it difficult to justify selling the BRV.
I'm glad you mention the lack of AWD and the difficulties on inclines with loose gravel compounded by the long cabin and FWD. I too travel to the hills (Uttaranchal) frequently and have seen the difficulty faced by FWDers under similar conditions. Staying away from this segment (Safari, Harrier, Alcazar, the FWD XUV500/700) and others is sensible. The Meridian is a better alternative, tho' more expensive.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 18:40   #1228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
seen the difficulty faced by FWDers under similar conditions. Staying away from this segment (Safari, Harrier, Alcazar, the FWD XUV500/700) and others is sensible. The Meridian is a better alternative, tho' more expensive.
I experienced that twice, so I took test drive of compass 4wd and took it to same patch where BRV struggles. The compass was amazing I did multiple start stops on the gravely incline and everytime with just minimal thrttle input it started climbing. No wheel spin, no revving the engine, no half clutch , no fuss no drama. Note that it was on Auto mode, I had to do literally nothing except slight tap on gas pedal. I was sold on the capability at that moment. However rear seat felt cramped compared to BRV so I did not book and hence waiting for Meridian. Waiting eagerly for the launch, if its priced anywhere upto 40 to 45L on road for fully loaded version then Iay take the plunge. Fingers crossed.
Also, if Safari had a 4WD version I probably would have bought it last year.

Last edited by ScorpWarp : 13th February 2022 at 18:41.
Old 13th February 2022, 18:55   #1229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikashmalya View Post
But i am fed up with their service and the frequent niggles (though i am the lucky odd one here) is what is making me want to change my Car when the asking rate is high.
That's very unlike Honda, you indeed seem to be unlucky one. If you like Alcazar then go for it
There is compromise to be made in every vehicle in every price bracket. For me reliability and peace of mind ownership is one of the most important criteria. So I can understand your inclination towards Hyundai. Go for it.
Old 13th February 2022, 21:46   #1230
BHPian

I have yet to find a better vehicle in this segment period.

Space of an MUV, Behaves better than so called "SUVs", Drives like a sedan, the most sorted CVT ratios of any of Indian CVT vehicles. Minimal body roll and sorted ride quality.

With Honda reliability, that 1.5 engine and that price point, I am surprised why BR-V is one of the best selling vehicles in SEA markets but was a dud in India.

Unless majority of Indians are buying cars for 8-10 inch ICE or other gimmicky features. I would take paddle shifters any-day over a touch screen, but that's just me.

Mine, like many of us on this forum, has crossed 5 years but low on mileage 13k or so, I am going to keep it for the next few years.

I just love this car, last year I was seriously looking to replace it, but with what ? There is nothing out there in this sweet spot.

Innova says "I am minivan / MUV" all over it. All the 5 seater cross overs converted to 6-7 seaters "Alcazar" and the likes are not as sorted.

And yes XUV 700 is there, much improved than XUV 500's horrible body roll, but still no match for BR-Vs.

If we had some BR-V owner on the forum come up with a "soup up BR-V" kit thread it should be lot of fun. Get new bells and whistles by spending say 1.5lacs or so.

I have not had a single issue with the BR-V in niggling etc. department except I lost the wind shield spray nozzle twice in five years, the plastic bit, costed Rs.250.
-xplora- is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks