Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2019, 18:53   #1096
BHPian

Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by indranilmuk View Post
CVT is a good option for start and stop city traffic, as I face here in Bangalore. I personally feel comfortable on the manual gearbox and had gone for the manual one. I am comfortable with this one as well. I use the combination of hand brake, clutch, gear and accelerator whatever is the appropriate one on a start and stop traffic. In Bangalore especially when you are doing this uphill (climbing up an underpass or a flyover). Manual works pretty well too. I have driven the CVT thrice during my test drive and I felt that the brakes lack a bit of smoothness that usually I get on the manual gearbox by balancing between the brake pedal and the accelerator pedal. It's a personal choice anyway.
Sorry. Should be brake pedal and clutch pedal combination to smooth braking.
Old 17th September 2019, 08:37   #1097
BHPian

I had been to Magnum Honda, Kanakapura Road, Bangalore, to drop off my city for a service.
They did not have a BRV on the showroom floor even for a display. Looks like Honda themselves have realized that this model is dead and is not worth wasting the showroom floor space for. Same with the CRV as well.
Old 18th September 2019, 10:42   #1098
BHPian

Friends,

I took a test drive of the BRV with CVT. Sundaram Motors had a test drive vehicle. However, the seating comfort for me in the drivers seat was very average. My knees were above my hips and I had to keep my ankle pulled up so high, in order to maintain contact with the accelerator pedal.

The engine and gear box are phenomenally good, especially for a relaxed driver like me.

But even in a short 5 Km Drive, I was not comfortable. My wagon R has a more comfortable driving position compared to the BRV.

It was a bit of a disappointment for me .

Now the competition is between the Innova 2.8 G and the Renault Triber (AMT if it ever comes out).

I thank all those who so patiently answered my questions.

Regards

Ramachandran
rrnsss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 11:29   #1099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
Now the competition is between the Innova 2.8 G and the Renault Triber (AMT if it ever comes out).

Triber vs Innova?!! Maybe Renault should use this in their advertisement, that people are comparing their basic sub 4m cars with Toyota's biggest selling hit.
ani_meher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 11:31   #1100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But even in a short 5 Km Drive, I was not comfortable. My wagon R has a more comfortable driving position compared to the BRV.
That was bound to happen given your baseline is WagonR's superb tall boy convenience compared with the Brio's low set platform.

Quote:
Given the above, I suspect you might not be too impressed with the Triber's comfort perhaps.
Link-TBHP member's TD feedback (Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs)

Would be a great little car to have in the garage if you do get a good driving position though. Wonderful little gem Triber.

Innova - well you can't get that wrong can you? The driving position is exceptionally good and easy to achieve. For any size, height, weight. No matter.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 14:08   #1101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Triber vs Innova?!! Maybe Renault should use this in their advertisement, that people are comparing their basic sub 4m cars with Toyota's biggest selling hit.
Well, I am not looking for a car in a particular segment. I am an ultra cautious driver . If truth be told, I would prefer not to be on the road, but that is not Reality. I am also design and style blind. I just want a car that can carry me and my dogs 1300 Km a month that is super easy to drive and a car I can keep for 15 years.

So , it was not a comparison based on segment, but my perception of what the car can do for me. It is just my perspective. Given my aversion to being on the road, I always prefer a smaller car to a bigger one, irrespective of the price. Hence the comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
That was bound to happen given your baseline is WagonR's superb tall boy convenience compared with the Brio's low set platform.

Given the above, I suspect you might not be too impressed with the Triber's comfort perhaps.
Link-TBHP member's TD feedback (Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs)

Would be a great little car to have in the garage if you do get a good driving position though. Wonderful little gem Triber.

Innova - well you can't get that wrong can you? The driving position is exceptionally good and easy to achieve. For any size, height, weight. No matter.
First of all, of all the cars I have owned here and abroad, if there is ONE car I fell in love with, it is my Wagon R.
I have owned a Toyota Celica, A Dodge Intrepid, A Jeep Wrangler and a Chevy Silverado when abroad.
The reason why I love the Wagon R is that it is "As little car as possible". It is a car for a man who does not want a car. It is the Hawai-Chappal of cars and I mean that in a positive way.

One thing that is stopping me from buying the Innova is it's gargantuan size. Every time I see one standing, I have second thoughts. I owned an Innova for 9 years and sold it recently because my model did not have safety features. I drove 65000 Km in it.

Yes. It has good seating position, agreed and is a good car on the highway, however I found the car to have too much Inertia . I had to plan the overtakes and braking . I think this comes from me being a uber cautious driver. I see many people on the highway doing 120 - 130 Kmph on the older Innova and it makes my jaw drop. Either they have a special car that I did not get, or they are simply testing their luck. Here is my speed limit chart for my cars I own(ed)

2006 Force Judo 4x4 75kmph Day 60kmph Night
2012 VW Vento 100kmph Day 75Kmph Night
2012 Wagon R 75kmph Day 60 Kmph Night
2009 Innova 95Kmph Day 75Kmph Night
2004 Bolero 4x4 XD3P 80Kmph Day 60Kmph Night
2008 Swift VDi 100Kmph Day 80Kmph Night

For driving comfort, smaller cars are favourable.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th October 2019 at 12:48. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi quote option (Quote+) while quoting and replying to multiple posts. Thanks.
rrnsss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 14:52   #1102
BHPian

Almost 38000 kms crunched in 3.5 years. 1st lot BRV CVT ( just after Smartcat got his) and have no complaints about the Vehicle, except for the plain jane interiors.
15.5 OTR seems like a great price, considering I paid 15, 3.5 years ago. I am very Pro- CVT as it assists in driving the Car sedately and complements by giving an awesome FE. Other 2 vehicles that I own now are a City ZX CVT & a Jazz CVT.. If you like to floor your accelerator pedal to get a Rush ( adrenaline or speed), don't buy any CVT cars.

P.S. After reading your above post, you are going to enjoy your 15-16 kmp/l FE on the BRV's highway trips..

Last edited by riteshritesh : 18th September 2019 at 14:54.
Old 22nd September 2019, 19:56   #1103
BHPian

Quote:
Friends,

I took a test drive of the BRV with CVT. Sundaram Motors had a test drive vehicle. However, the seating comfort for me in the drivers seat was very average. My knees were above my hips and I had to keep my ankle pulled up so high, in order to maintain contact with the accelerator pedal.

The engine and gear box are phenomenally good, especially for a relaxed driver like me.

It was a bit of a disappointment for me .

I thank all those who so patiently answered my questions.

Regards

Ramachandran
I have seen this complaint in the same thread in the past. Couldn't spot it now where. I have the manual version though. The seating for me is extremely comfortable, I usually keep the seat at the highest level. My height for reference is 5 ft 8 inches. I was comfortable before, but recently I took the vehicle for check in the service center due to a minor issue. The technician adjusted the seat position and pushed it back a bit. When I tried that position, it made me feel much better. It was like relaxing on a coach and driving. Only disappointment comes then I have to change gears due to traffic. I do not feel any discomfort while driving. Infact yesterday my son was asking me for a drive in the night till Electronic City. After reaching electronic city, I felt like driving more, so I drove another 4 kms ahead and took a U turn from near the Attibele toll gate.
indranilmuk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2019, 22:32   #1104
BHPian

I am 6 ft tall with disproportionately long legs.
rrnsss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 18:03   #1105
Team-BHP Support

Autocar India's used Honda BR-V guide:
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...da-br-v-414137

Under 'what to watch out for', they have have listed the following issues:

Quote:
Faulty Electronics: Buttons and switches for the infotainment and power windows tend to fail so make sure you get that checked. It is an inexpensive fix, but it is always better to give it a look.

CVT Transmission: The CVT transmission is a reliable unit. However, some owners have reported wear and delay in progress, so have it checked by a trusted mechanic.

Brake wear: When test driving, check the brakes, as many owners have reported early fade. Replacing the brake pads will cost you Rs 3,500 and an entire disc costs Rs 3,100.
Anybody here facing these issues?
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 21:26   #1106
Team-BHP Support

My neighbor "Gym Ravi" bought a homestay at Sakleshpur last year, and invited us over. "Gym Ravi" aka AV Ravi is a celebrity in fitness (representing India in body building championships) and Kannada filmdom (acted in 100+ movies, Kannada Big Boss contestant etc).

Honda BR-V : Official Review-gymravi.jpg

BRV pics at the homestay:

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20191005_131826.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20191005_151808.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20191005_154928.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20191005_212327.jpg

You see this 20 degree incline grassy hill? There was absolutely no traction because of (slightly) wet grass. Barely managed to move 15 or 20 feet.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20191005_131229.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20191005_131246.jpg
SmartCat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 11:21   #1107
BHPian

Recently done 1200 km trip to Pabbar Valley/Chanshal pass from Faridabad/NCR

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chanshal_Pass

FE talk
FE on highway 80-100 kmph (500 km) was 15-16 kmpl
FE on hills (700 km up & down of which 50 km ascend towards pass on high incline & bad-ugly roads, 4 people & luggage) 10 kmpl
Overall - 12kmpl

BRV Experience enroute the pass:
1. Even with 210mm GC, couldn't avoid few scrapes. This could be due to lower psi in tires (29 +/- 1 psi) to tackle the ugliest of path (can't say road) But thanks to this GC, avoided most scraping chances.
2. Sparingly used S mode; D was enough even with loaded car (i had to drive home directly from the Pass)

Driving Experience:
Due to the slow descend and then 2 detours due to blocked roads and then an hour of jam in Shimla, was behind-the-wheel for 21 hrs in a single go (total time at peak and stops 60-75 mins); left Hotel at Rohru for the pass at 515 AM and reached home at 315 AM.

And pics..

At HPTDC hotel in Fagu:
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20191003_062251.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20191003_062505.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20191003_063044.jpg

Bit of adv trekking on rocks
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20191005_103953.jpg

NASA's tweet reminded it was international Moon watching day so a night mode pic on pixel
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20191005_185758.jpg

The Pabbar River - extremely cold, I couldn't stand for more than 3 secs but took a few dips
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20191006_104553.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20191006_110203.jpg

Enroute the Pass
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20191006_130226.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20191006_130801.jpg

Attachment 1922186

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20191007_071233.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20191007_080901.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20191007_085655.jpg

At the Top
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20191007_092920.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-pano_20191007_092758.vr.jpg

Apples from friendly villagers

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20191006_140847.jpg

Back to Base..
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20191007_114534.jpgHonda BR-V : Official Review-img_20191006_143612.jpg

Temp sensor perhaps froze nearing the peak. Corrected itself later on the road
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20191007_122615.jpg

After 22 hrs behind the wheel, docking tripmeter
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20191008_031255.jpg

Last edited by wangdu : 11th October 2019 at 11:23. Reason: typo correction
wangdu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th October 2019, 23:23   #1108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indranilmuk View Post
I have seen this complaint in the same thread in the past. Couldn't spot it now where. I have the manual version though. The seating for me is extremely comfortable, I usually keep the seat at the highest level.
I have owned the BR-V for just nine months, I have developed this interesting habit.

Based on the Brio platform, the seat of the BR-V is placed lower than typical cars in the price range and size (Duster, for instance). In its lowest position, you feel like you are driving a sedan, whereas in the highest position, you feel like you are driving an SUV. I have found my comfortable driving positions at both the extremes of the seat heights. When I am driving leisurely, I tend to go with the sedan-ish position, but when I am stuck in one of those notorious Delhi-NCR jams, I adjust my position to the highest, with a good view of the bonnet.

For reference I am about 5'10".

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Anybody here facing these issues?
With the minimal electronics that the BR-V has compared to other cars in the segment, the probability of those malfunctioning is pretty less.
sdaityari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 11:36   #1109
BHPian

Shubh Deepavali to everyone!
I need some expert opinion here please.
I visited Magnum Honda on Kanakapura Road, Bangalore, on 27-Oct-2019 for the BRV-V V-CVT model.
Honda has increased prices of all variants, including V-CVT of the BRV, they are now quoting 16.16 Lakh as on-road price. But they are giving a discount of 2 Lakh on this 16.16 Lakh, so essentially, the Vehicle [without any negotiations] now is priced at 14.16 Lakh [Attaching the Price list, please zoom the photo].
I feel it is still overpriced. Also, the Salesperson [Mr. Varun] has said that till Jan 2020 they can ONLY deliver White, for any other colours, I have to wait till Jan 2020.
My Questions:
a.] Even with 2 Lakh discount, is it worth spending 14.16 on road for the BRV?
b.] The Salesperson updated that there is NO news on the BRV getting discontinued any time soon. Heck, he even said a update is around the corner!! . Is this true?
c.] And to make the Petrol engine BS-6 compliant, ONLY catalytic converter will change, does this change add to the price of the BRV post Jan 2020? If yes, by how much?
d.] Since the V-CVT variant does NOT have touch screen infotainment system, am planning to upgrade to the one provided by FoxFire infotainment. Would this FoxFire unit NOT nullify the warranty of the vehicles' electronics? Also, is the FoxFire unit reliable and competent? How is the sound quality? Am not satisfied with the sound quality in the system provided by Honda in the BRV.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda BR-V : Official Review-price-list.jpg  

DiMaGo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2019, 05:54   #1110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiMaGo View Post
Shubh Deepavali to everyone!
I need some expert opinion here please.
I visited Magnum Honda on Kanakapura Road, Bangalore, on 27-Oct-2019 for the BRV-V V-CVT model.
Honda has increased prices of all variants, including V-CVT of the BRV, they are now quoting 16.16 Lakh as on-road price. But they are giving a discount of 2 Lakh on this 16.16 Lakh, so essentially, the Vehicle [without any negotiations] now is priced at 14.16 Lakh [Attaching the Price list, please zoom the photo].
I feel it is still overpriced. Also, the Salesperson [Mr. Varun] has said that till Jan 2020 they can ONLY deliver White, for any other colours, I have to wait till Jan 2020.
My Questions:
a.] Even with 2 Lakh discount, is it worth spending 14.16 on road for the BRV?
b.] The Salesperson updated that there is NO news on the BRV getting discontinued any time soon. Heck, he even said a update is around the corner!! . Is this true?
c.] And to make the Petrol engine BS-6 compliant, ONLY catalytic converter will change, does this change add to the price of the BRV post Jan 2020? If yes, by how much?
d.] Since the V-CVT variant does NOT have touch screen infotainment system, am planning to upgrade to the one provided by FoxFire infotainment. Would this FoxFire unit NOT nullify the warranty of the vehicles' electronics? Also, is the FoxFire unit reliable and competent? How is the sound quality? Am not satisfied with the sound quality in the system provided by Honda in the BRV.
I have personally driven the CVT petrol BRV thrice during test rides. I am a keen team of manual gearbox, so i didn't find it too exciting. Also during hard acceleration it was a bit loud. Also you miss out on the reverse parking camera and LED. Even though this offers a smooth Honda engine with high refinement, which shows up during driving. Brakes were pretty decent and you also have a bonus of the practical design and space in the car.
Recently, I went to Sapphire Honda for the purpose of insurance renewal and found only one grey BRV on display, that too the V petrol variant. I asked them why Honda didn't work on enhancing the car, they said they have no idea and may be Honda has decided to stop the model in the near future. I know it is a bit over priced but I wanted a practical family car for long term and have no regrets buying it. The extra row of seats is a boon. My son who is now in 8th standard at times diya there and has no complaints. Also during long joiners we fold the third row and it creates a massive 691 litres of boot space, which to me is very useful.
indranilmuk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks