Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2018, 11:16   #1006
BHPian

Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Whoops. I got the "Key Batt" indicator (accompanied by 3 or 4 loud beeps) on the dash too. Went to a nearby watch store and got the key battery replaced (Maxell CR2032, 3V Lithium). Paid Rs. 90.

Attachment 1824648

Incidentally, the watch store owner said the old battery was fine. But I got it replaced anyway.
After looking at your gauge pic - Just realised one thing - my Diesel BRV has economy gauge as 0-20-40 instead of the AT 0-15-30.
preetamkabra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 21:44   #1007

28 months and 28,000 kms.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda BR-V : Official Review-20161211_175554.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-20161211_175611.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20170414_143807106_hdr.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-20170828_122903.jpg  

skn1980 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 22:27   #1008
BHPian

Quote:
Whoops. I got the "Key Batt" indicator (accompanied by 3 or 4 loud beeps) on the dash too. Went to a nearby watch store and got the key battery replaced (Maxell CR2032, 3V Lithium). Paid Rs. 90.
Very impressive !!!
How did you get that "KEY Batt" indicator displaying on the dashboard ???
Please shed light on that. It's a very useful thing to have.
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 22:50   #1009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
Very impressive !!!

How did you get that "KEY Batt" indicator displaying on the dashboard ???

Please shed light on that. It's a very useful thing to have.

It is automatic. Comes up once the key battery is low.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 16:33   #1010
Team-BHP Support

After looking at the spec sheet of new Ertiga Zxi AT and its on road price, it looks like game over for BRV CVT. There is a price difference of Rs. 2.5 Lakhs (new Ertiga Zxi AT costs Rs. 12 Lakhs on road Bangalore).

The new Ertiga AT matches BRV features list. Only keyless engine start/stop button is missing. Also, Ertiga has 15 inch alloys while BRV has 16. Remember that old gen Ertiga AT was available only in Vxi trim. Interior quality of new Ertiga looks like it is a generation ahead of BRVs (because it is!)

Even in terms of practicality now, the new Ertiga has stepped up its game to match BRV.

- Ertiga now has reclining third row seats (must have, if you want to put adults in the third row)
- Ease of entry into third row (going by Youtube reviews)
- Larger bootspace than old gen Ertiga

From practicality point of view, BRV leads the new Ertiga only in terms of higher ground clearance and seating position now.

In terms of safety, Ertiga scores over BRV with ISOFIX child seat mountings, hill hold function and Electronic Stability Program. However, new Ertiga will probably score 2 stars in Global NCAP (going by new Swift crash rating (New Maruti Swift gets just 2-stars in the Global NCAP)) while BR-V probably would score 4 stars (going by Mobilio 3 star rating, Honda India CEO's hint that BRV is structurally safer than Mobilio and by BRV Asean NCAP rating)

Looks like BRV CVT still is ahead of Ertiga in terms of driving/ overall feel (engine, steering) going by vidyut's short review (The 2018 next-gen Maruti Ertiga, now launched at Rs 7.44 lakhs). The new Ertiga has a bigger 1.5L engine than before - so power advantage that BRV had over old Ertiga AT is not there anymore. When it comes to transmission, it is still advantage BRV because while BRV has CVT with paddle shifts while new Ertiga makes do with 4 speed torque convertor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I know I shouldn't associate fun to drive with a 7 seater MPV
Pretty much all privately owned car-chassis based MPVs are used like any other hatchback or sedan. Now I use my BRV for school and shopping runs too, along with highway trips with 4 people. So yeah, things like handling and steering feedback/ sharpness does matter (for those who love to drive).

Last edited by SmartCat : 17th December 2018 at 16:56.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 14:47   #1011
BHPian

Quote:
After looking at the spec sheet of new Ertiga Zxi AT and its on road price, it looks like game over for BRV CVT. There is a price difference of Rs. 2.5 Lakhs (new Ertiga Zxi AT costs Rs. 12 Lakhs on road Bangalore)...
Credit where it's due; Suzuki designers have really transformed Ertiga's looks. From Dzire/Swift copy paste eye-sore job that the old model was to the very neat, suave, up-market looking new Ertiga, it clearly shows the work done. This alone will pull even a critic like me to their showrooms.

On the day after its launch there was photo shoot happening on gurgaon-faridabad scenic roads and from a distance I was impressed by the rear design. When I crossed it or rather flew by it on my Striple, I saw another one coming from opposite side and this time I was mighty impressed seeing the new front design. Well done Suzuki!.

For all mass market buyers, the sales guys at Honda would only get one chance to sell their USP of CVT over TC to the potential buyer and then perhaps tell the discounts and then the price. MT variants don't even have this USP and will be extremely tough to sell BRV with ~2L price gap. Perhaps the other consumer segment who might buy BRV is the one who would buy any another but a Suzuki for any reason.

So, what's the strategy that Honda would execute for BRV to be just alive (and live on huge margins) let alone matching sales numbers of Ertiga? Or would the BRV's fate be sealed slowly like Mobilio's while Honda focuses on its cash cows -City, Amaze? Few pointers for Honda: #1. Reduce, no slash prices to even be in contention 2. Include dual tone interiors 3. Advertise low cost servicing 4. Don't be sloppy with your service & customer satisfaction like I experienced lately.
wangdu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 21:47   #1012
Team-BHP Support

New accessories: 'Ajanta Avenger' roof carrier (Rs. 8,000) and 'AmazonBasics water-proof Roof Bag' (Rs. 2,800)

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20181223_152737.jpg

Check my posts on this thread for details:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4515542 (Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4516926 (Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers)
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 12:32   #1013
BHPian

Quote:
Whoops. I got the "Key Batt" indicator ..
Both the fobs of my BRV failed within 2 weeks of each other showing weak battery. The second when went kaput just a day before my long drive was scheduled to start. The procrastinator that I am had to rush late evening trying to find replacement cells. Rs 240/- for both but I did tell him a friend of mine bought for Rs 90/- each to which he nonchalantly smiled and ignored my haggling words.

Quote:
New accessories: 'Ajanta Avenger' roof carrier (Rs. 8,000) and 'AmazonBasics water-proof Roof Bag' (Rs. 2,800)
These do look nice from here. Any botheration while trying to wipe the roof? will read your posts.

Here are a few pics & words about my trip to hills:

So it was time to take break from city noise and go snow BRV-hunting in the hills of Kufri & Shimla.

Overall ~900 kms, FE range 11-12 kmpl, S mode as always to rescue on steep inclines,

1. Breakfast stop at 'Garam Dharam' dhaba - built on Bollywood actor Dharmendra theme. Family had enough carbs to make them sleep next few hours while the "driver" ate less to stay awake.
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20181228_064338.jpg

2. Next click at the gates of one of the best cities in India - Chandigarh
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20181228_094254.jpg

3. In the hills, at CCD 'Solan' I needed my double shot espresso
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20181228_115211.jpg

4. At HPTDC hotel, Shimla
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20181228_172953.jpg
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20181228_174450.jpg

5. Shimla city skyline from atop "The Ridge"
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20181228_180449.jpg

6. A very nicely lit 'Mall Road'
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20181228_181331.jpg

7. Kids' jumped out of the car seeing the snow at Kufri. Temp was 0C/feels like -5C and an overconfident me (after all I'd survived Canada) was in for some frostbite kind of pain later.
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20181229_115857.jpg

Further matters of their interest..
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20181229_133537.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20181229_153451.jpg

The kid got stuck in reverse bungee when the power went out. But he had a gorgeous view of Himalayan range in front of him for a few minutes till he came back down.
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20181229_125854.jpg

8. En route Naldehra. It's a great drive from Shimla till Naldehra; every driver's dream; Quaint, Quiet, cool winds and winding roads only till I got back into the car where my young kids from the city continued with their commotion and theatrics
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20181230_124121.jpg

9. Kids kind of look surprised (me included :- )) seeing their grey haired father beat them to climbing the tree..
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20181230_131553.jpg

..and the view laying down on the branch
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20181230_132016.jpg

10. Back to the plains in Chandigarh, visited the 'Butterfly park'. Only we were at the park on a holiday and that felt good having the whole park to us

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20181231_154612.jpg
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20181231_154810.jpg

Then visited 'Doll park' to keep the little girl child excited..and she had a ball there. She must have taken 50 or more selfies with Dolls from various countries.
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20190101_144632.jpg

11. Spent more than an hour after long strolling around in the vast and beautiful 'Rose garden'. With Rose season at its peak, I had my full of appreciating different colors in which this gorgeous flower blossoms
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20190101_170522.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20190101_170936_1.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20190101_170308.jpg
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20190101_170353.jpg
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20190101_170431effects.jpg
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20190101_171138.jpg
A perfect ending to the day.
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20190101_171457.jpg

12. Avoided the usual hurry to get back home and stopped at Karna Lake, Karnal. This is the place where 'karna' of Mahabharata Epic gave away his 'Kvach', 'Kundal' and in essence became mortal.
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20190102_130755_1.jpg

--

Until next time..Cheers.
wangdu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 14:27   #1014
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
Any botheration while trying to wipe the roof?
Aah yes. Cleaning the roof is quite a pain now. If you don't want to carry around such a large carrier, you can buy something called the 'universal roof bar' from Amazon or Aliexpress. Roof bar costs anywhere between Rs. 2,000 to 4,000 depending on where you sourced it from.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-download.jpg

You can then place the AmazonBasics roof bag on the car roof. The only negative of roof bar + roof bag combination (instead of roof carrier + roof bag) is that BRV's roof will have to bear the luggage weight.
Old 15th January 2019, 14:56   #1015
BHPian

So after paying booking amounts for the Captur and the Kicks, I have finally come up to the BRV.

When I realized the drive-ability of the Kicks would be abysmal (high driver seat, even though I am just 5'10), I decided to test drive the BRV CVT. After a 30 min TD, I was convinced this car is for me! I had driven automatics back in the US (Jeep Wrangler, Liberty), which is why I considered the CVT option.

It misses out on a few points as compared to the funky features cars provide these days, but it makes up for those in the fun that it provides to the driver. I felt the iVTEC engine with the CVT was responsive, punchy and the paddle shifts were an added incentive. Honda provided a good exchange value for my 4 year old Figo, and I am taking delivery in 3 days (I am based out of NCR, and there are 2 Honda plants 100 km).
sdaityari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 12:24   #1016
BHPian

Took delivery of a BRV CVT in NCR yesterday. It was fresh out of the plant.

The photo captures the moment when the car just arrived from the yard. I love the photo as it captures my Figo in the background which I gave in exchange. I learnt to drive in the Figo, so it has a special place in my heart.

After a two hour Friday evening jam in Delhi before I reached home, I'm looking forward to going on my first hunt.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda BR-V : Official Review-20190119_100209.jpg  

Last edited by sdaityari : 19th January 2019 at 12:24. Reason: Fixed typo
sdaityari is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 16:42   #1017

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20190207_145957.jpg
New LTD sticker on my BRV.
skn1980 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 12:59   #1018
BHPian

Got the window shades from Amazon for the upcoming monstrous summer of North.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6 pieces (for rear glass available from seller for Rs.500 extra but I didn't take it).

Compared to what I'd purchased last year, I m 5 star impressed with the fit and usability of this one. First time fit without any adjustment or a mm over the metal and the glare on ORVMs from high-beamers at night has reduced enough to not make me fold the mirrors which i used to do every now and then.

@sdaityari : How's your new BRV treating you? Any 'hunts' to share?

Cheers.
wangdu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 15:17   #1019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
Got the window shades from Amazon for the upcoming monstrous summer of North.

Compared to what I'd purchased last year, I m 5 star impressed with the fit and usability of this one. First time fit without any adjustment or a mm over the metal and the glare on ORVMs from high-beamers at night has reduced enough to not make me fold the mirrors which i used to do every now and then.

@sdaityari : How's your new BRV treating you? Any 'hunts' to share?

Cheers.
I just got this one with six pieces from Amazon for 1199. The fit is good, although I had to struggle a bit for the first time getting it into place.
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Clocked just about 1950 km on the odo. Went to Corbett a few weeks back - I have updated the pics in my garage.

Another nice accessory I have added is a dashcam. I got this one from the US through a family friend for 40 USD (as compared to 10000+ for the same model in India).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078LR9ZPX/

Looking forward to upload videos of crazy NCR drivers soon (I am planning to do this on YouTube)!

Quick question - how about naming and shaming drivers who have a blatant disregard for traffic rules?
Old 5th March 2019, 15:53   #1020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaityari View Post
Looking forward to upload videos of crazy NCR drivers soon (I am planning to do this on YouTube)!

Quick question - how about naming and shaming drivers who have a blatant disregard for traffic rules?
If you are asking on this forum, I would let it out here and mask the plates..
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...u-spot-em.html (Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em)

I should be careful, there's a BHPian with a dash cam in the neighborhood :P But on the contrary, it might be interesting or rather challenging to show the 0.1% who actually follow the rules in NCR and fame them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks