Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2019, 18:34   #1021
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

My BR-V got into a little fender bender. While reversing the car, my dad bumped into a Vento parked on the road. The parking sensors were apparently beeping, but he thought that was just the seatbelt warning indicator

Thankfully, no damage to BRV - just some minor scratches to the plastic bumper protector.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20190315_160823.jpg

But Vento's door took quite a beating:

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20190315_142655.jpg

Since it was our mistake, we offered to patch up the Vento. VW dealer quote was Rs. 20K to 25k for entire door replacement. Since Vento owner mentioned that he did not trust the local VW dealership, we took the car to a local Bosch service center (where he gives the car for servicing).

Damages: Rs. 5,000 for tinkering and painting.

Last edited by SmartCat : 15th March 2019 at 23:21.
SmartCat is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 16th March 2019, 09:29   #1022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
My BR-V got into a little fender bender. While reversing the car, my dad bumped into a Vento parked on the road.

Vento owner mentioned that he did not trust the local VW dealership, we took the car to a local Bosch service center (where he gives the car for servicing).

Damages: Rs. 5,000 for tinkering and painting.
The cost of tinkering and painting is very competitive compared to what Trend in 2014. The doors of VW and Skoda cars have an internal steel bar/rod as a safety mechanism, when there is a collision into the door, the sheet metal deforms. This kind of dent can be seen in many VW and Skoda cars.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2019, 13:11   #1023
Team-BHP Support

Attention: Honda BR-V CVT owners! Your service center is probably ignoring Honda's own maintenance checklist.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20190323_124047.jpg

The service booklet clearly states transmission oil needs to be changed every 2 years. But the service advisor totally ignored this and did not change transmission oil at all. I got it changed yesterday (Rs. 2,000) after BHPian ~Xplora messaged me.

Meanwhile, I bought extended warranty for 4th and 5th year for Rs. 14,000 (including GST). Not quite sure if this is value for money though.
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2019, 15:18   #1024
BHPian

Hello Everyone and Thanks Team-BHP for welcoming me as one of your new members to this esteemed forum. I had lurked around on this forum for atleast 7 to 9 years and the feeling now is surreal when am a part of it.

I am currently in the market for a 6-7 seater and hooked onto Tata Hexa and Honda BR-V threads, though Hexa would stretch my budget by a good margin of 2 to 3 Lakhs.
I have been an avid reader of almost all posts by 'StreetCat' and 'Wangdu' in this thread; really impressed and convinced that BR-V 'V' CVT is 'The' Car for me. However, with the launch of the New Ertiga I am now in 2 minds because Ertiga will fulfil all my requirements by saving atleast 1.5 Lakhs, but, I definitely want my next car to be a 'automatic' [owing to bangalore traffic], hence, am swaying towards the smooth CVT compared to a somewhat 'jerky' Automatic transmission in the Ertiga. And Ertiga's third row and boot [with all seats up] is less compared to BR-V. Also, Ertiga automatic is still a rare sight, atleast here in Bangalore.

The new car would mostly be used for office commute [8 kms from my home] for 70% of the times and 30% highway with atleast 2 adults and 2 kids. And I need a 6-7 seater because when my parents visit me, we currently end up taking out 2 cars which is a hassle since my dad does not like driving around in Bangalore and my wife needs to carry our 2nd child [since the kid is just around 7 months].
Can you all guide me so that I can make a better decision with my money and still be very satisfied with the vehicle?
DiMaGo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2019, 17:30   #1025
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiMaGo View Post
I have been an avid reader of almost all posts by 'StreetCat' and 'Wangdu' in this thread;
Thanks, but I'm not a StreetCat - I'm just a HouseCat.

Quote:
However, with the launch of the New Ertiga I am now in 2 minds because Ertiga will fulfil all my requirements by saving atleast 1.5 Lakhs, but, I definitely want my next car to be a 'automatic' [owing to bangalore traffic], hence, am swaying towards the smooth CVT compared to a somewhat 'jerky' Automatic transmission in the Ertiga. Can you all guide me so that I can make a better decision with my money and still be very satisfied with the vehicle?
I have not driven the new Ertiga AT - but on paper atleast, it seems like much better value proposition when compared to BRV CVT. The new Ertiga AT matches or exceeds BRV CVT in most parameters, at a Rs. 1.5 Lakh lower price point. BRV CVT now leads Ertiga AT only in the following departments:

- Roughly 20% higher fuel economy (as tested by Autocar India)
- Better engine (meaning 10 to 20% better acceleration/ top speed etc, as tested by Autocar India)
- Possibly safer than Ertiga (which is based on new gen Swift that did not fare well in crash tests. But this is just speculation).
- Some minor features here and there (bigger wheels, higher ground clearance etc)

So it all depends on how much weightage you want to assign to the above parameters. Are these really worth the extra Rs. 1.5 Lakhs asking price?
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2019, 22:06   #1026
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, but I'm not a StreetCat - I'm just a HouseCat.
Oh, you are being very modest sir, I have been following your travelogues and they are absolutely fun to read and really informative too, you are a HouseCat who Loves to Travel

Quote:
The new Ertiga AT matches or exceeds BRV CVT in most parameters, at a Rs. 1.5 Lakh lower price point. BRV CVT now leads Ertiga AT only in the following departments:

- Roughly 20% higher fuel economy (as tested by Autocar India)
- Better engine (meaning 10 to 20% better acceleration/ top speed etc, as tested by Autocar India)
- Possibly safer than Ertiga (which is based on new gen Swift that did not fare well in crash tests. But this is just speculation).
- Some minor features here and there (bigger wheels, higher ground clearance etc)

So it all depends on how much weightage you want to assign to the above parameters. Are these really worth the extra Rs. 1.5 Lakhs asking price?
All the above points does actually matter to me. And Safety-wise I second your thoughts and I feel it is better to shell out the extra 1.5 Lakhs just for the safety factor.
I however have only 1 question on BR-V, and that is about its continuity in the market. What if Honda discontinues BR-V in the very near future? I am sure they will still continue to support in terms of Service and Spares, but, what about its re-sale value? Kindly note am thinking of keeping this car for atleast 12-15 years.
DiMaGo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2019, 01:46   #1027
BHPian

Quote:
What about its re-sale value? Kindly note am thinking of keeping this car for atleast 12-15 years.
Leave the BR-V, no car will have any kind of resale value after 12-15 years of usage. If you are thinking about keeping your car for that long, resale should be the least of your concern.

A nice long 7 year warranty is what you should look for, something which I think Honda offers?
Pratyush2407 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2019, 08:31   #1028
BHPian

Quote:

I have not driven the new Ertiga AT - but on paper atleast, it seems like much better value proposition when compared to BRV CVT.
I think the smooth CVT of BR-V should be worth the 1.5 lacs over the 19th century 4 speed AT of Ertiga.
searacer932 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2019, 09:21   #1029
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I however have only 1 question on BR-V, and that is about its continuity in the market. What if Honda discontinues BR-V in the very near future? I am sure they will still continue to support in terms of Service and Spares, but, what about its re-sale value? Kindly note am thinking of keeping this car for atleast 12-15 years.
Hmm yeah, resale value is one more factor weighing down BRV. But that is a problem only if you intend to sell after 5 years. 12 to 15 years means resale value really does not matter.

Service and spares are NOT likely to be problematic, especially wear and tear parts and consumables. My cousin is still using his 2nd gen 2005 Honda City and everything is in stock. However, rarely needed accident parts (inside the engine bay, for example) might take time to source. On the bright side, BRV uses 4th gen City's engine and transmission.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 17:12   #1030
BHPian

Quote:
...Can you all guide me so that I can make a better decision with my money and still be very satisfied with the vehicle?
Quote:
...BRV CVT now leads Ertiga AT only in the following departments...
Thanks DiMaGo for posing this question - I had in fact booked the Ertiga, but the delivery date just keeps on getting extended, so was thinking about cancelling the booking. The only option was the BRV for me.

Thanks Smart Cat for those pointed answers - nailed it. Onto getting the quotes now from the dealers. Yes resale value was also a factor, but have to compromise somewhere. The car needs to provide comfort for sure. Will probably bother you for some advice/views in case I do go for one.
krackr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 18:52   #1031
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
hence, am swaying towards the smooth CVT compared to a somewhat 'jerky' Automatic transmission in the Ertiga. And Ertiga's third row and boot [with all seats up] is less compared to BR-V. Also, Ertiga automatic is still a rare sight, atleast here in Bangalore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krackr View Post
I had in fact booked the Ertiga, but the delivery date just keeps on getting extended, so was thinking about cancelling the booking. The only option was the BRV for me.
Since you two have driven both Ertiga and BRV, how do they match up in -

- Ride quality
- Handling/ steering / braking (overall "feel" of driving)
- Acceleration / city driveability
- Ergonomics/ seat comfort
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 19:24   #1032
BHPian

Quote:
...Ertiga and BRV, how do they match up...
The dealer did not have the Ertiga automatic, so just drove the manual variant. So this was not exactly a like-to-like compare on the driving parameters. The TDs for both were more to test how they fared in traffic and potholes here in Mumbai. I am not one to race forward so the immediate thrust did not matter - and hence was not tested.

- Ride quality
I did not feel any difference. My wife however preferred the BRV.

- Handling/ steering / braking (overall "feel" of driving)
- Acceleration / city driveability

Handling, steering, city driveability - would rate the BRV better easily.
Acceleration/Feel of driving - I am assuming the Ertiga would be better as I have driven the new Ciaz. But here again, someone who is fluent with the paddle shifters on the BRV can vote for it.

Ergonomics/ seat comfort
Not much of a difference for my family. Both are supreme. Ertiga a bit wider.

Other factors:
BRV scores on the tumble-down second row seats and the ground clearance
Ertiga scores on the flat bed one can make with the second and the third row fully folded.
Various other elements such as the interiors, the MID, overall features (utilitarian, ESP as well) is where the Ertiga mattered.
..and of course the value for money quotient is on Ertiga's side - both in terms of cost as well as resale value.

So while the rational mind preferred the Ertiga, the heart still favoured the BRV. Not that I am a Honda fan, but the CVT, paddle shifters, that B-I-G window on the second row and the effortless driveability do score so very well.

One question to you SmartCat - after the modifications, if I may call them so, you have done to your BRV (am still going through your other threads), is there something which you still find lacking and would want to fix..thanks!

Last edited by krackr : 28th March 2019 at 19:27. Reason: Truncating text
krackr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 19:35   #1033
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One question to you SmartCat - after the modifications, if I may call them so, you have done to your BRV (am still going through your other threads), is there something which you still find lacking and would want to fix..thanks!
There is only one pending 'modification' to be done - sound insulation.

http://carcarestores.3mindia.co.in/o...stic-solutions

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...solutions.html (Honda Jazz gets a V-Day gift - Damping by 3M Acoustics Solutions)
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 10:54   #1034
BHPian

Quote:
Since you two have driven both Ertiga and BRV, how do they match up in
Sorry for my late reply SmartCat, I was caught up with usual stuff at office.
I have not driven the Ertiga AT, but, I have driven BRV CVT and quite impressed by it. I have read tons of material on Ertiga AT and have a friend who owns Ertiga AT, so, going by his reviews, I felt that Ertiga's transmission is not as smooth as BRV.

Quote:
The dealer did not have the Ertiga automatic, so just drove the manual variant. So this was not exactly a like-to-like compare on the driving parameters. The TDs for both were more to test how they fared in traffic and potholes here in Mumbai. I am not one to race forward so the immediate thrust did not matter - and hence was not tested.
@Krackr - If you have fixed your mind on the BRV, can you please share what is the price quoted by your dealer for V CVT variant? When I spoke to the Sales person here in Bangalore about 2 months back, he orally quoted me around 14 Lakh on road for V CVT variant [I can haggle with him for a little more discount]
DiMaGo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 20:46   #1035
BHPian

Wow - thanks, this is useful!

Quote:
..When I spoke to the Sales person here in Bangalore about 2 months back, he orally quoted me around 14 Lakh on road for V CVT variant [I can haggle with him for a little more discount]
Same here - I have just got the quote from one dealer. Am connecting with others.
krackr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks