Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2019, 16:14   #1126
BHPian

Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Hello all!

I've been thinking about finding a replacement for my 2011 Honda City AT which has clocked about 48000 kms. The new car is mostly for the school runs and occasional outing within the city with our pet Rottweiler, hence the need for the 3rd row. Moreover, since our son is always seated in his car seat - which is detachable but always attached to the rear seat, there is space for only 1 adult in the rear.

Also having the the new Endeavour as my primary vehicle, we are used to the practicality that the 3rd row offers.

With this only the Maruti XL6 and Honda BRV come to my mind as a suitable replacement with the following factors in play,

* Third row required so that the Child seat can be permanently fixed. Also our dog can be buckled up in the third row with one seat folded down

* Automatic transmission

* Similar exterior dimensions to the Honda city yet having the third row

* Similar price point / price segment as the Honda city

* Fuss free experience expected with Maruti / Honda

- Triber / Datson / Hexa and the likes not considered due to lack of automatic transmission or dimensions or quality/feature issues

Factors with respect to the XL6,

+ Middle row captain seats help in each access to my son who would be seated in the 3rd row affixed car seat/child restraint system

+ New launch

+ Torque converter automatic

- 4 Speed automatic

- Except the the front end and captain seats, it is essentially an Ertiga

Factors with respect to the BRV,

+ Familiarity to the Honda family (The engine and the interior)

+ Better looking in my opinion compared to the XL6

- CVT - Would be missing the feeling of my 2011 Honda City's AT unit, though not a big deal

- No touchscreen/Android auto/Reverse camera in the top end CVT V variant

- No facelift in the news / No news of even a distant update coming at all to our shores

- Not sure weather Honda is even going to continue this model !!!

The last two factors are playing in mind heavily against the BRV.

Any suggestions / pointers after considering my requirements would be appreciated.

Does anyone got any information regarding the future of the BRV here in India? Anything concrete that could happen to the BRV during the April BS VI deadline?

Thank you!
Old 2nd December 2019, 16:35   #1127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay.sundar View Post
Any suggestions / pointers after considering my requirements would be appreciated.
Previous gen Ertiga AT was a huge compromise when compared to BRV, because it was poorly equipped and its boot was tiny. But new Ertiga/XL6 takes care of these shortcomings, and is still a Lakh or two cheaper than BRV AT. On paper, XL6 is a no-brainer.

Consider the BRV AT only if you are not satisfied with the engine/ transmission performance and handling characteristics of XL6. When you are test driving the two cars, that's what you should be comparing.

No news about BRV facelift. Like most Hondas, there should be no issues with servicing or spare parts for another decade.
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 17:49   #1128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay.sundar View Post
The new car is mostly for the school runs and occasional outing within the city with our pet Rottweiler, hence the need for the 3rd row.
Does anyone got any information regarding the future of the BRV here in India? Anything concrete that could happen to the BRV during the April BS VI deadline?
A friend of mine purchased the BR-V earlier this year and they also had a specific requirement, where their doggie would be in the last row.

They are extremely happy with the BR-V, as an eminently sensible, practical and spacious car. I was quite impressed with the BR-V too, sure it lacks sex appeal but is one of the most practical cars sold in India.

Honda is unlikely to bring the BR-V facelift, which in any case is purely cosmetic.

With the current offers, it may be the best time to pick up a BR-V. Honda accessories are also very reasonably priced, which is a plus.

Spares are never an issue with Honda, I still service my 2000 City 1.5 EXI in the showroom and recently changed my radiator and LHS power window mechanism, I had to wait a week for the parts and they were made in the 2nd half of 2019, which was great.

If you plan to keep the BR-V for 8 years resale wont matter. In any case the BR-V does not have very good resale in the used market, but a petrol automatic would likely hold its value better in the years to come.

Last edited by Redline6800 : 2nd December 2019 at 17:52.
Redline6800 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 12:37   #1129
BHPian

Dear BRV Owners - after having collected lot of info on the BRV V-CVT model [over 1 year 6 months] and patiently waited for close 2 months for Honda to revert with the desired colours, I lost patience and decided to explore other options.
Marazzo and Ertiga were the other choices; Hexa, XUV and Scoprio were not consiered owing to their bulk size and also partly due to their prices. I would like to Thank everyone in this thread, specially 'SmartCat' and 'wangdu' for their answers to the queries I posed in this thread.
I ended up purchasing Ertiga ZDi+.
I will continue to hover around this thread owing to some superb travel pictures and details of BRV being posted, cheer and happy motoring!!
DiMaGo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 10:19   #1130
BHPian

Took test drive of BR-V automatic yesterday. Fantastic car. Flat 1Lakh discount offered. 1440000 OTR in Mumbai.However, after testing Ertiga, my feelinv isBR -V is cramped, overprised and last seat is at best for small kids.Otherwise, engine, handling is very good in BRV.
Old 15th December 2019, 03:52   #1131
BHPian

Two recently taken photos of my BRV, taken besides the Agara Lake. It is 1 year and 1 month old now and have completed all of it's free services. Traveled a little more than 7500 kilometers.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-inkedimg_20191208_102554_li_4mb.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-inkedimg_20191208_102534_li_4mb.jpg

This is a VX manual petrol, Style Edition model and has a reverse parking camera and sensors, which comes very handy while parking and makes it much more easier and convenient.
indranilmuk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 15:31   #1132

40 months and 38.5 k on odo. Did 40 k service last week for Rs. 8,500. The first accident also happened yesterday. A scooterwala hit at the back in a traffic signal. Naturally it was his mistake and no casualities.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20191215_142852.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20191215_143017.jpg  

Old 22nd December 2019, 00:33   #1133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skn1980 View Post
40 months and 38.5 k on odo. Did 40 k service last week for Rs. 8,500. The first accident also happened yesterday. A scooterwala hit at the back in a traffic signal. Naturally it was his mistake and no casualities.
Oops. That is bad. Please share your repairing experience.
Old 13th January 2020, 13:18   #1134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Honda has launched facelifted BR-V in ASEAN countries.
Hey Smart Cat,

I am looking at a pre owned BRV - V CVT. However, I have read thatthere is a speed limit of 140 Kmph on this vehicle. Is this true? I find this quite ridiculous on a Honda. Is there any way to disable this limiter? I notice that the speedometer also only goes up to 180 kmph.

Regards,
SS

Last edited by SmartCat : 13th January 2020 at 13:23. Reason: Trimmed quote
Old 13th January 2020, 13:28   #1135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
I am looking at a pre owned BRV - V CVT. However, I have read that there is a speed limit of 140 Kmph on this vehicle. Is this true? I find this quite ridiculous on a Honda. Is there any way to disable this limiter? I notice that the speedometer also only goes up to 180 kmph.
Autocar India clocked 172 kmph with VBox speed logger. You can also do a Youtube search for "BR-V acceleration"
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 14:25   #1136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, I have read thatthere is a speed limit of 140 Kmph on this vehicle. Is this true?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Autocar India clocked 172 kmph with VBox speed logger. You can also do a Youtube search for "BR-V acceleration"
Interesting - I had heard about the speed limit being there on the Amaze. But after reading this post I did a bit of searching here on Team-BHP and it looks like there is indeed a speed limit on the BR-V Diesel as well.

Reference Link : (Honda BR-V : Official Review)
Link 02 : (Honda BR-V : Official Review)

It appears that both posts were made by SmartCat in 2016... Did Honda unlock the speed limits later or is it still present?

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 13th January 2020 at 14:30.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 15:18   #1137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
it looks like there is indeed a speed limit on the BR-V Diesel as well. It appears that both posts were made by SmartCat in 2016... Did Honda unlock the speed limits later or is it still present?
Not 100% sure, but I think Autocar India clocked BR-V diesel to 160 something kmph.
Old 13th January 2020, 16:21   #1138
BHPian

Thanks Smart Cat for your prompt response.

The plan was to buy a pre-owned 2016 BRV V - CVT and I see you have got the exact same model. This one I am planning to buy has run just 8000 Kms.
Poona registration. The asking price is 7.90L through a dealer in Borivali, Bombay. I intend offering 6.80L as it is not exactly a sales success. Will be going to check it out tomorrow.

It will be used mainly for highway runs between Bombay and Goa. 2 adults. Maybe 3. Fair amount of baggage & unnecessary extras!

If you don't mind, can you - and, of course - other BRV Owner's please answer these questions.

1. Have you had any major issues with the car?
2. How is the performance of the CVT on the highway with fast moving traffic (Overtaking) and also on the ghats (climbing ability)? How is the "pulling" power when loaded?
3. What sort of real-life average consumption have you been getting? In the City and on the highways?
4. The infotainment system looks awful. Is it possible to change to a touch screen system? Have you done this?
5. How are the spares/service costs? I don't have much experience with Honda. My biggest concern is if this model is discontinued.
6. Any irritants in the car? Anything specific to look out for? Anything that as an Owner would stop you from buying this car again??
7. How are the headlights on dark highways? Will they need an upgrade?
8. Do the last row of seats fold down flat to make a nice loading bay?
9. How difficult s it to manage in heavy traffic and to park it?

Sorry to bore you guy's with all these questions but I can't think of a better place to post them.

Your updates and advice would be much appreciated.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 20:37   #1139
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It will be used mainly for highway runs between Bombay and Goa. 2 adults. Maybe 3. Fair amount of baggage & unnecessary extras! Your updates and advice would be much appreciated.
Frankly, pre-owned Honda City CVT offers better value for money for your requirements. City is more refined than BR-V, has better interiors and is feature-packed. Go for BR-V only if you intend to use the 3rd row seats.

Quote:
1. Have you had any major issues with the car?
None. But if you are using AT for the first time, remember that P-R-N-D-S gear-lever position is NOT backlit. After dark, if you want to move from D to Reverse, you might fumble around a bit. But you will get a hang of it in a month or so, and there is also gear indicator on the dashboard.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160818_200721_1_p.jpg

Quote:
2. How is the performance of the CVT on the highway with fast moving traffic (Overtaking) and also on the ghats (climbing ability)? How is the "pulling" power when loaded?
Honda City engine, Honda City transmission and Honda City weight means highway/ghat performance is exactly like that of Honda City. Even when fully loaded. Steering is direct and brakes are sharp.

Quote:
3. What sort of real-life average consumption have you been getting? In the City and on the highways?
- 8 to 11 kmph in City
- 13 to 17 kmph on highways

Quote:
4. The infotainment system looks awful. Is it possible to change to a touch screen system? Have you done this?
Yeah, get a touchscreen HU and reversing camera.

Quote:
5. How are the spares/service costs? I don't have much experience with Honda. My biggest concern is if this model is discontinued.
All spares are reasonably priced, but Honda service experience in Bangalore is not as good as Maruti service experience. Service advisors always try to sell unnecessary add-ons (brake cleaning, inner panels coating and what not).

Quote:
6. Any irritants in the car? Anything specific to look out for? Anything that as an Owner would stop you from buying this car again??
Well, my car seems to be losing weight as kilometers pile on. Few months back, the plastic grip on AC slider fell off. Weirdly, I can't find this plastic piece anywhere in the cabin.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20200113_175240.jpg

Couple of weeks back, I found this plastic bit in passenger-side footwell.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20200113_175049.jpg

Thankfully, no squeaks or rattles or any other weird sounds.

Quote:
7. How are the headlights on dark highways? Will they need an upgrade?
No upgrade needed.

Quote:
8. Do the last row of seats fold down flat to make a nice loading bay?
Yes, check the TeamBHP official review for pics.

Quote:
9. How difficult s it to manage in heavy traffic and to park it?
It is as easy as your SX4 to manage in heavy traffic/ narrow roads. It is about the same length/width as Honda City.

Last edited by SmartCat : 13th January 2020 at 21:26.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 21:48   #1140
BHPian

Hi Smart Cat,

Thanks so much for the prompt response to all the questions.

Quote : Frankly, pre-owned Honda City CVT offers better value for money for your requirements. City is more refined than BR-V, has better interiors and is feature-packed. Go for BR-V only if you intend to use the 3rd row seats. UnQuote

I agree with you totally. In fact, I have no intention of ever using the 3rd. row - Well, maybe once a year.... The problem with the City is that I am on the "heavier" side and also have a back problem. Getting in and out of the City is not easy. I was looking at the BRV for 3 reasons : (1) The 210 mm ground clearance. (2) Easy ingress and egress and driver's seat height adjustment to further sweeten the deal and (3) More "street cred" with a (sort of) SUV/MPV and the higher seating position helps in traffic.

Actually, I have been offered a sweet deal on a 2014 City CVT. 5.8L. Run only 22,000 Kms. But sadly, SV model - so, no alloy wheels, no paddle shift, no sunroof, no reverse sensors or camera etc. Not sure if it has ABS and EBD. It does have 2 airbags.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks