Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2017, 10:48   #856
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

How cheap! Lower variants don't get an insulation sheet under the hood

Big thanks to Dr. Sharad Gor for sharing! He wrote to Honda about the same.

Quote:
It is nowhere mentioned in the brochure or anywhere else that a basic thing like under-the-hood insulation is missing in a car equipped with a noisy diesel engine. While you clearly mention that features like alloy wheels, engine start-stop etc., are provided in the higher version and not in the "S", but you don't say that the "S" version will also miss insulation. This is a poor example of cost cutting, where customers are taken for granted, hoping that they will accept whatever is provided or not provided.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 12:29   #857
BHPian

Hi @Smartcat/All, Do we know from Honda (not from Ajanta/others) regarding the load that the roof rails can support? I've been trying to get this info but all I am hearing from accessories/sales at dealer is "not much sir", nothing quantified. Would you/others have reliable bit of information? Thanks.

Last edited by wangdu : 30th October 2017 at 12:33.
Old 30th October 2017, 12:32   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I picked up a CD slot mobile holder
1. Hi been following your posts with great interest. I have just booked a BRV VX Petrol MT with Digipad,reverse sensors and reverse camera. Like you I entirely agree that Google Maps is way better than anything else on the market. Which brings me to the mobile holder that you recommend. My SA though tells me that in this new version there are no slots for the CD / DVD player. So I presume the older version had those and that remained after you fixed the HU.

2. What sort of body cover do you recommend ? Asking because of the SPINDLY antenna. If it was the shark fin type I would'nt have worried.

Thanks once again for your highly informative posts.
Old 30th October 2017, 17:12   #859
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
Hi @Smartcat/All, Do we know from Honda (not from Ajanta/others) regarding the load that the roof rails can support? I've been trying to get this info but all I am hearing from accessories/sales at dealer is "not much sir", nothing quantified. Would you/others have reliable bit of information? Thanks.
I did some research on Honda CR-V (with a C) roof rail/rack/box maximum load capacity, and it is just 75 pounds (35 kgs). For Honda BR-V, expect it to be a bit lower. It's best to place heavy luggage in the cabin and lighter ones on top from safety (center of gravity) point of view and also ease of loading.

I'm seriously considering purchasing one of these - instead of just a roof rack or a roof box. It's a waterproof covered roof cargo bag and is priced between Rs. 5,000 and Rs. 10,000

Honda BR-V : Official Review-roofcargo.jpg

https://www.amazon.in/Aomaso-Carrier.../dp/B06ZZDF9R8

Do a amazon.in search for "car cargo waterproof" (or something similar for more options). There are many more CHEAPER options at www.amazon.com (Global website)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
1. Hi been following your posts with great interest. I have just booked a BRV VX Petrol MT with Digipad,reverse sensors and reverse camera. Like you I entirely agree that Google Maps is way better than anything else on the market. Which brings me to the mobile holder that you recommend. My SA though tells me that in this new version there are no slots for the CD / DVD player. So I presume the older version had those and that remained after you fixed the HU.
I changed the whole HU and the touchscreen Mapmyindia unit plays CDs too. But if the new digipad does not have a CD slot, you won't be able to use the CD slot mobile holder. You can try out the "air vent mobile holder" though. Do an Amazon.in search for that phrase and you will find lots of options priced between Rs. 300 and Rs. 3,000

Honda BR-V : Official Review-airvent.jpg

Quote:
2. What sort of body cover do you recommend ? Asking because of the SPINDLY antenna. If it was the shark fin type I would'nt have worried.
Doesn't Honda sell it as an official accessory? Not sure how much it costs though.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 08:47   #860
BHPian

Quote:
I did some research on Honda CR-V (with a C) roof rail/rack/box maximum load capacity, and it is just 75 pounds (35 kgs). For Honda BR-V, expect it to be a bit lower. It's best to place heavy luggage in the cabin and lighter ones on top from safety (center of gravity) point of view and also ease of loading.

I'm seriously considering purchasing one of these - instead of just a roof rack or a roof box. It's a waterproof covered roof cargo bag and is priced between Rs. 5,000 and Rs. 10,000

Attachment 1690622

https://www.amazon.in/Aomaso-Carrier.../dp/B06ZZDF9R8

Do a amazon.in search for "car cargo waterproof" (or something similar for more options). There are many more CHEAPER options at www.amazon.com (Global website)
Thanks for digging out information w.r.t CRV, that gives an idea for BRV.

On this type of storage product, I have strong apprehensions. Here's why:

1. First we will need a roof protective mat on top of which we fix this storage. Now, this mat itself will need to be hooked and they will most likely keep sliding. Also the mat may leave color marks on the roof if kept on for longer duration. And if a tie or knot is broken the whole product is sort of useless.

2. The "soft" storage typically have quite a number of clips/buckles and are very prone to cracks, loosening (esp. as these are not aerodynamic to withstand wind blast)

I say from experience when I used such on my Ford Escape while I was abroad. If you get it under prime/fulfilled-by-amzn then one can go ahead and experience the quality and also try out in the return period. Cheers!
wangdu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 09:36   #861
BHPian

Quote:
BR-V returned 15 kmpl on this 1,100 km trip (50% highways, 50% hills, AC ON)
Was it petrol or diesal?
Old 31st October 2017, 09:55   #862
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
I have just booked a BRV VX Petrol MT with Digipad, reverse sensors and reverse camera. Like you I entirely agree that Google Maps is way better than anything else on the market. Which brings me to the mobile holder.
Any day Google Maps on the phone will be better but if you want, there is a way in which you can install Google Maps on the Digipad. Please note that only a specific version of the app will work, the Digipad runs on an really old outdated android model.

There are some limitations though, you will need to connect the digipad with your phone through wifi(using a dongle) and you also cannot login to your account to access saved places/POI. I have not yet tried it out personally but someone I know is facing problems even with Google's real time traffic updates. Voice guidance is not good either.

Link to the thread in our ICE section.

Last edited by OSH : 31st October 2017 at 10:00.
OSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2017, 15:30   #863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshiqueS View Post
Was it petrol or diesal?
Petrol Automatic The most popular variant on Team BHP
kbishwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2017, 13:34   #864

My BRV @ 18200 km / 14 months. Last service done at 9800 km and planning the next service after 19500 km. Now the coolant level in the tank is at 'min' point. Is it normal or do i have to take any action. Tomorrow i have a 150km trip. Is there any risk?
Old 5th November 2017, 16:44   #865
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by skn1980 View Post
My BRV @ 18200 km / 14 months. Last service done at 9800 km and planning the next service after 19500 km. Now the coolant level in the tank is at 'min' point. Is it normal or do i have to take any action. Tomorrow i have a 150km trip. Is there any risk?
Definitely not normal to lose coolant like that. Very likely there is a leak. Open the bonnet and see if there is any spillage.

If you have the option of taking another car, do that. Else, fill up the coolant tank and then go, with a spare coolant bottle in the boot. Check after 1 hour of driving to see if coolant level falls. Also keep an eye out for any warning lights on the instrument cluster.
Old 6th November 2017, 11:16   #866
BHPian

Hi guys, as mentioned a few days ago, I had booked a BRV VX MT model, chocolate brown colour. Some snafu at the RTO led to a day’s delay so finally I could not wait any longer and drove the car home with temporary number plates on Friday Nov 3.

On Nov 4 evening the guy came and fixed the number plates so the next day took it from my home at Bandra(W) to Nariman Point and back. That’s a 40 km ride.

Very happy with my choice of vehicle. Having enjoyed driving a City (CVT) for almost 10 years, and developed my relationships with the dealers etc, I wanted to stay with the Honda family. When reports appeared early in the year that Civic was to be launched, I fixed my sights on that but finally got tired of waiting. (apparently it’s now scheduled for 2019 !!).

That’s when I started looking at the BRV since I wanted a larger car than the City. BRV offered everything the City offered with higher seating and GC, and more space particularly the first row. When I test drove the car it reiterated all my pre-formed views of being an excellent and advantageous variation of the City. The rear shape bothered me. It really balloons out and I hope they had trimmed the rear a bit, but I’ve now got over it.

The factory fitted AVN system looks great and is working well. The rear camera is also excellent. The first drive was smooth. The suspension is a bit stiff at the moment but I expect it to settle down over the next few hundred kilometres. Also the highest speed I could register was 90 kmph. With more kilometres under it’s belt I expect the speed also to move up substantially.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda BR-V : Official Review-honda-brv.jpg  

Heavy Horse is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 11:27   #867
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The factory fitted AVN system looks great and is working well. The rear camera is also excellent.
Do take a picture of dashboard with the new AVN. Does reversing camera display have guidelines that turn with the steering (like in the Jazz or City)?

Quote:
The suspension is a bit stiff at the moment but I expect it to settle down over the next few hundred kilometres.
Factory recommended tyre air pressure settings are a bit high. Set it to 30 PSI for city drives and 32 PSI for highway drives. Your car tyres probably have 36 PSI on all tyres right now (they will be set high for transit and storage)
Old 6th November 2017, 11:43   #868
BHPian

Quote:
Do take a picture of dashboard with the new AVN. Does reversing camera display have guidelines that turn with the steering (like in the Jazz or City)?
Sure. Will post pictures of the HU.
Yesssss. The guidelines are very much there in bold yellow.

Quote:
Factory recommended tyre air pressure settings are a bit high. Set it to 30 PSI for city drives and 32 PSI for highway drives. Your car tyres probably have 36 PSI on all tyres right now (they will be set high for transit and storage)
Good that you mention that. When I drove out of the showroom and went to fill up the tank, the air pressure showed 48 in all tyres !!!! I'm using 32/32 now which is the recommendation for upto 5 people. May not be a bad idea to do 32/30 which is the City recommendation. Let's see.
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 11:05   #869
BHPian

Quote:
Do take a picture of dashboard with the new AVN
Here are the pictures. The first one is the ad the other one is the real thing.
Not much difference !!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Honda BR-V : Official Review-honda-brv-digipad.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_1334.jpg  

Heavy Horse is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 13:54   #870
BHPian

I'm thinking of changing my antenna to a shark fin one used in Honda City.
Like to know if anybody has done that and what has been the experience.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks