Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2017, 15:29   #751
BHPian

Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review issue with gearbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjagga View Post
I like to share my update. Bought manual BRV top trim for my Dad last august. Don't drive much covered 2800K till now. The gearbox was giving issues right from begning it was stiff and did not slot in( I have a corolla altis, swift and accent no problem like such on them).
Today Dad came from dentist and could not reverse in our ramp. Finally took it to Honda and they have acknowledged the issue and kept the vehicle with them saying that they will get the Honda plant guys to come and take a look as they have no knowledge to the issue.

I don't know if I should wait and watch or get after them.
Any suggestions ??
Very sorry to know that!

I suggest:
1. Demand for a standby vehicle (negotiate for a BRV or City).
2. Still not very late to write an e-mail to Honda India, keeping the dealer in Cc.
3. Try to find similar incidence from owners through forums.
4. Start drafting a chronology of the problem for ready reference.
5. Keep updating on this thread.

All the best!
Old 21st April 2017, 16:16   #752
BHPian

Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by skn1980 View Post
The Alpine ICE looks like OEM. Is it a dealer accessory or aftermarket?
That's OEM, sold as an accessory.
wangdu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2017, 09:45   #753
BHPian

Quote:
I like to share my update. Bought manual BRV top trim for my Dad last august. Don't drive much covered 2800K till now. The gearbox was giving issues right from begning it was stiff and did not slot in( I have a corolla altis, swift and accent no problem like such on them).
Today Dad came from dentist and could not reverse in our ramp. Finally took it to Honda and they have acknowledged the issue and kept the vehicle with them saying that they will get the Honda plant guys to come and take a look as they have no knowledge to the issue.

I don't know if I should wait and watch or get after them.
Any suggestions ??
Dear Members,
I finally got my BRV back after 5 days of sitting in workshop. Apparently the issue was a pin ( something similar to spark plug in design). As per Honda when ever we change gear the pin gets compressed and the pin had become faulty ( though they don't know why). Please see the pics attached.

Hope this helps someone in similar situation.

thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_9349.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_9350.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_9351.jpg  

jimmyjagga is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 09:10   #754
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Members, I finally got my BRV back after 5 days..
Hi Jimmyjagga,
In your last post you had mentioned that this issue has been since long, was it also in FWD gears or only in reverse? Did the mechanics also check gear selector & shift control cables? Due to faulty cable or water in it for instance, the gear shift levers won't operate smoothly/get-stuck and the driver may use some force which eventually may impact the pin over time. Since there are other cars also in the household I doubt if gears are being used rough. Let us know mechanic's feedback in case you get to discuss this point with them.
Old 26th April 2017, 13:49   #755
BHPian

Hi folks,

With 5 occupants and luggage, I had a chance to drive my friend's BR-V CVT for about 350km trip. Driven mostly in D mode with seldom use of pedal shifters / S mode. Below are some postulates to share:

The likes:
  • Very versatile with ample sitting space. The last row with split seats helped in creating extra space for luggage and letting a person to sit as well.
  • Excellent torque: The pickup felt good from zero onwards. No lack of power felt anytime.
  • The transmission shifts felt were seamless and smooth. I just couldn't really make out that shifting moment.
  • Handling and braking: Stable with a compliant ride quality. No complains either. Very much like my other Hondas.
  • Post 100 kmph: Felt stable and confidence inspiring.
  • Mileage: Round trip, it returned about 17.5kmpl (includes some local city drive as well). Not bad either.
  • As you cruise, driving in economy, the RPM tends to float around 1600 unless pushed down.

The dislikes:
  • The interiors are a mix and match of the Brio and the Jazz/City.
  • Having owned my Honda Jazz 2015, honestly, the interiors aren't very impressive. Jazz's blue theme feels much more elegant than the similar black display in BR-V.
  • The ICE display felt small, although the sound quality was okay considering Honda OEM standards.
  • No reverse parking camera in this lengthy vehicle and at this price point. This is a big miss in my opinion.
  • The rubber-band effect was very much visible even in the 7th level of transmission as the engine could be heard in with the RPM shooting up.
  • The ORVM coverage (especially during merging traffic at high speeds) should have been better.
  • Due to the long cabin room, the view from IRVM is limited as well.
  • Lastly, no driver's armrest console. This is something I have installed (aftermarket) in my manual transmission Jazz and so much used to it that I even miss it while driving my dad's Honda City.

Thanks!

Last edited by Nohonking : 26th April 2017 at 13:55.
Nohonking is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 16:46   #756
BHPian

can anyone tell, if its possible to open the boot when the key is still inside the car?
what is the range of the key from door to unlock using sensor ?
where is the USB port situated for music? is it possible to select song using track number?
Old 4th May 2017, 17:03   #757
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayakrnr View Post
can anyone tell, if its possible to open the boot when the key is still inside the car?
Like when you are waiting for lights to go green at a traffic signal? In CVT variant, the boot door does not open unless you move the gear lever to "P".
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 17:31   #758
BHPian

yes. actually i was asking about manual version which does not have "P". would it not be a security risk that anyone can open the rear door with just a swap of their fingers?
Old 4th May 2017, 18:21   #759

You can open by unlocking the central lock button near the power window switch.
Old 8th May 2017, 10:38   #760
BHPian

Is BRV leading for a natural death? Only ~ 700 sales number, in the month of Apr'17.

Appears, Honda is the least bothered! Happy with City and WRV!

I said earlier also that WRV would cannibalize BRV (people saying it is City getting affected, though all are in C2 segment).

The real problem is, IMHO, BRV doesn't know which segment it's fighting in. It's not a compact SUV, not a proper SUV, nor an utility! By claiming to be so many things it's sometimes you were nowhere, identity crisis!

So, it's a positioning problem. And little more. Honda please do the following for BRV sake:

1. Upgrade the model with essentials like proper 7-8 inches display unit integrated with navigation and rear-view camera, now a days these are a hygiene factor!
2. Refresh the styling, although it's subjective, still it does need to look better. Hire some design experts from neighbouring country South Korea.
3. Re-position the product with proper marketing support.
4. Rather than giving discount every month, reduce the price by Rs 1 to 2 lakhs!

Only if Honda wants BRV to survive, otherwise it is making money at other places.

Last edited by kbishwa : 8th May 2017 at 10:49. Reason: Grammar
kbishwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 10:43   #761
Team-BHP Support

My insurance renewal is due next month. Quote from Honda Assure -

- IDV of Rs. 10,00,000
- 20% no claim bonus
- Rs. 33,000 zero depreciation insurance
- Rs. 26,000 without zero depreciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
The real problem is, IMHO, BRV doesn't know which segment it's fighting in. It's not a compact SUV, not a proper SUV, nor an utility! By claiming to be so many things it's sometimes you were nowhere, identity crisis!
My existing insurance policy by Honda Assure calls it a MPV under "Body Style".
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 18:03   #762
BHPian

Hi all,
After a little gap due to financial aspects, I might again plan for going for BRV. I have been following it for past 6 months and there still is no comparable products from peers. Not sure when 7 seater Duster would be released. Till then, BRV can be the lone practical option in that category.

Does anyone know if deals are still available at dealerships in Bangalore? Which dealer would be the best in terms of deals? Has anyone got additional freebies from any specific dealers?
Last time when I analysed, I felt going for cash discount would be best than opting for free accessories since usually cost of accessories are marked up higher than After market ones.

Special hello to Smartcat for his invaluable efforts and insights

Thanks in advance.
rich_heart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2017, 18:01   #763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
My insurance renewal is due next month. Quote from Honda Assure -

- IDV of Rs. 10,00,000
- 20% no claim bonus
- Rs. 33,000 zero depreciation insurance
- Rs. 26,000 without zero depreciation.

My existing insurance policy by Honda Assure calls it a MPV under "Body Style".
Hi Smartcat,

I inquired with Bajaj Allianz - they quoted around 35 with zero dep, engine protection, personal luggage cover, RSA, Key & Lock Replacement Cover, Cashless at all Honda Service Centres and a Telematics Device to monitor various car and driver performance criteria.

You may want to check it out.
preetamkabra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 11:58   #764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayakrnr View Post
can anyone tell, what is the range of the key from door to unlock using sensor ?...
80 cm as per the manual.
wangdu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 11:14   #765
BHPian

Hi friends,

Few updates to share:

GPS

The GPS sensor on Alpine failed recently and was in perpetual "waiting GPS" mode. This happened one fine day in the middle of the city without any warning leaving me at the mercy of people’s route advise who are the usual google maps anyway. The issue was shown to the dealer whose accessory guy promised a 2day turn around to have Alpine’s technician look at it. But then he went silent and I had to ping customer care & dealer manager who then arranged for technician's visit the next day, who came armed with a brand new Alpine unit to fix all & score full marks on customer satisfaction Q.

Upon checking the unit, it turned out that the GPS sensor that had been tucked in the dashboard all this while wasn't able to catch any satellite signals. The sensor was then placed on top of the dashboard (extreme left) and GPS signal search turned green. A verbal duel that ensued between dealer accessory fitment guy (who had tucked it in dash) and Alpine's (who now positioned on top of dash) was worth eavesdropping for a few minutes.

Good Year Assurance Tires

One of the tires (RHS-Front) fell completely flat while parked in busy market area (near home). With tubeless tires, I had hoped that I might get some heads up but in this instance, there was nothing of that sort, from 34psi to 0psi in 30 minutes. As luck has been benevolent to me this year, I realized I had a tire inflation motor with me and that got me home.

Now, this situation is when the car has been under my running-in supervision without actually going out on any "hunts". Like BRV's tagline is "let the hunt begin", mine is yet to start one. All the 1800 km have been on road. Upon checking with puncture guy, it turned out that there's no nail or anything that pierced the tire but it seems like a crack or a cut perhaps.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-defect.jpg

I then engaged Good-year care whose inspection team concluded that the crack/cut is due to a sharp object (not part of warranty) and they have washed away their hands off this. In fact, I asked the inspector to consider replacing under goodwill (given the low mileage and general usage proof from tread wear and condition) but their "rules" wouldn't let them for a common man.

Now my other cars go far and more on MRF & Apollo on similar routes and those tires actually do go off-road towards countryside, long trips and they are going just fine. What in the world caused good-year assurance tire to fail so soon is beyond my comprehension? I have been the sole driver all this while and I don't recall trying to cut the tire with a knife in a fit of rage!

While me being oblivious there might have been an instance of a sharp curb or hump edge that might have scraped the tire but it just isn’t plausible that other manufacturer’s tires are holding steady in far worse road conditions and Good year’s assurance proved to be so weak.

A tire can be replaced, no big deal but such poor compound and good year scooting away is a disappointment. As I’ve faith in Honda’s (Japanese) customer satisfaction focus, I’m reaching out to Honda customer care to primarily apprise them of Good year’s quality issues and then perhaps a just resolution in my favor.

Not much of an "assurance" and definitely not a "good year "

For now, I'm considering fixing the crack with a puncture repair kit (and put it on the spare wheel) and put the spare tire on the alloy. Or to be safe I might as well discard this tire and with my confidence on good year much shaken I am also pondering to buy one from another manufacturer but given the different compound and tread that might not work 100% in tandem with Good year’s on LHS.

FE
End of "kitna deti hai" probe: I’ve not been able to cross 11 kmpl FE figure no matter how much I opine (and debilitate) car occupants about sophisticated driving etiquette, technicalities of premium fuel, finesse to settle in eco rpm range at will and disciplined tire pressure check routines. I guess I have done enough on this front for academic purpose, let it be and gear in the S mode.
wangdu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks