Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2020, 11:24   #5836
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Dear Hexa Owners,
Let me share my Eureka moment yesterday while riding my Hexa for a round trip on NICE road Bangalore from ECity side to Tumkur road and back. Went there just to be able to drive the car after some time and stretch the legs. Its about 120 kms roundtrip.

So the main focus of the post is how to achieve perfect 20 mileage on your Hexas and is it even possible ?

So I have seen many of the owners post pictures of 20 mileage on their Hexa consoles a lot of times and I have been really jealous of the same. To be honest I tried a lot of times and failed. The best I have achieved so far in 24k Kms of ownership is 14.xx on console. However please be reminded, in case of Hexa, the console mileage is at least 2 kmpl more than the real Tank to Tank mileage. This is based on actual measurements and comparisons.

Two things that happened before the start of the trip, my son was fiddling with the stalk and it was left at Instant Fuel economy screen in the MID. Secondly I was in the driver seat as this time, my BIL wanted to drive a bit and this gave me a lot of free time from the passenger seat to observe things around.

So now to what was the Eureka moment you ask ? Let me explain, I was keeping a close eye on the Instant Fuel Economy of the vehicle and corelating with the Speed and Revs and that’s when I realized that the Instant Economy was full (mas is 20) when the revs are between 1000 rpm to 1200 rpm which means lazy driving and just enough not to lug the vehicle or the economy was showing max again at around 1800 rpm to 2100rpm for any gear. Now in the first case above it makes sense as the engine is running just about enough and may be Turbo is even not kicked in so fuel economy is good. But the second observation is what was surprising.

Break from the story here to give some more background, I have tried everything in the past – driving in comfort mode for long, setting auto cruise control but nothing helped me so much to get a good number.
Also I come from owning and driving petrol cars earlier so my usual instinct is to shift early between 1500 to 1900 rpm and reach 6th gear asap. So I would be happy driving in 6th gear at 80 – 90 kmph when the engine is only doing about 1500 – 1600 rpms.
To be honest Hexa is a 2.4 ton vehicle and having the Varicor 2.2 lit big diesel engine so there is a learning curve for me.

Now coming back to the story. After my initial observations, then it struck me, instead of my initial style of early shifting, I need to tweak my driving style and do the following:
- should hold the gear till about 2100 rpm and not shift up
- Its better to be in 5th at 2000 rpm than to be in 6th doing 1500 rpm
- hold the speed and not do sudden changes which will impact mileage
- it will not eventually matter so much whether you are driving in Comfort Mode or in Auto mode if you are doing the above steps and holding the speeds and rpm.

Now the Next step is to try the theory and observe this in driving pattern.
Unfortunately I observed a slight metal vibrating noise from below the car when at standstill so I am guessing that my dual exhaust silencer pipe may be now broken so I guess I need to head to TASS to get this replaced.

Would love to hear any feedback from fellow Hexa owners and or anyone else who has used the Varicore engine and share their feedback.
swarnava.ch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 11:30   #5837
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post

So the main focus of the post is how to achieve perfect 20 mileage on your Hexas and is it even possible ?
Please drive at appropriate gears for the speed,else you will spend many times the money saved in diesel cost on a new clutch. Diesels need to run, do not lug them at low engine speeds, it's bad for the engine as well as the clutch.
Kosfactor is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 10:58   #5838
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
This seems to be more like dampness from an initial leakage, wipe it with a cloth and see if it reoccurs . An oil leakage will be more wet to the touch and if it's dry enough you shouldn't worry.
I got the exhaust manifold packing changed with lot of doubts on tata quality assurance on product. My doubt was what if it is leakage from valves, seeping out from exhaust manifold gasket. However on opening the same i believe issue is related to loosening of exhaust manifold bolts only. The Tata service center took a whole day and now the top cover of head with foam is broken in two pieces( this is piece mounted below the Varicor 400 cover) . The proper way to open the top cover was to remove the wiper assembly and the plastic grill which allows to remove the cowl, post which the head cover can be pulled up easily. But the tata service center pulled it from front leading to most pieces of foam breaking apart and the it breaking into two pieces. They repaired the part with fewi Kwik. It leaves very bad taste. On top of this a return coolant rubber pipe was changed as it was all swollen which meant coolant nearly 4ltrs was refilled. And to add on to next visit i was told the left wheel has play and steering components ends i think , need changing and alignment will also be required. I have an extended warranty upto 5years. I am not sure if these will be covered. I am also cocerned the car has done only 26000kms approx and such critical components which have lasted more than 1Lac kms in other cars require replacement so soon in Hexa.
Not withstanding anything Hexa is a joy to drive always , just hope tata do a stringent quality checks on parts being used in vehicles for long life.

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 2nd December 2020 at 11:01.
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 12:17   #5839
Distinguished - BHPian

2021 Tata Hexa BS6 Spied Testing In Pune.

volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 15:19   #5840
BHPian

Read a post by Swarnava.ch regarding the achievement of the 20kmpl magical figure on the Hexa MID. Well, this is from my drive from Pune-Alibaug 2 days back. This is the reading for Pune to the food mall just before the Khalapur toll. Drive was normal, didn't apply any special methods. Just kept the vehicle steady between 80-90 Kmph. I feel it would have been easier with the cruise control, but the slight traffic deterred me from engaging the cruise control. However, the MID is error prone (actual figures are normally 2kmpl less than what is shown on the MID). Mine is a XT 4X4 Hexa (facelift model March 2019). Also, it is easier to get good figures on this stretch as it is primarily downhill!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-p_20201202_083238.jpg  

AdiSolEn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 14:50   #5841
BHPian

Friends.. been 6 weeks since picking up the Hexa XTA with captain seats and finding time only now to post about it. I picked up the car in Chennai and had a chance to drive it for about 1000 odd kms till date. First long drive was me returning home to Kodai (yes, I live in this heaven) cruising at c.100 and 110kmph with music feeling like music to the ears [JBL ]. I felt the size of the car and especially at one point where a tractor suddenly decided to move to the right lane to overtake a 'Share Auto' on the highway - could only jam on the brakes and the car did it with no drama. I do not know if I missed the ESP but all went well - basically I did not dare to maneuver like I would have in my go-cart (Figo Diesel 2011 model).

The car was purchased after 2-3 years of pondering which one to buy since my primary need for a big car was to ensure I was able to take my small family of 2 + 2 + 3 dogs in good comfort . Every car I tried including the Innova was not as confidence inspiring and planted the as the Hexa was. I desperately tried getting a new BS4 in Feb/Mar but could not get one on time - stocks did not last for the model I want. Got 3D mats and the only thing remaining is a good roof box (not sure if I will get good one that is both aerodynamic, waterproof and does not whistle) - was contemplating one of Thule series but they are very expensive - after all these members in the family in the car I'm not sure if I will have space for luggage though. I'm also skeptical about the legality of the install and the entailing cops haggles.

BTW, there is an irritant cropping up
When I purchased the car, I did check for the infamous head gasket leak and it was not there. Now it seems to be cropping up. The car is out of the standard 3 yrs warranty and Tata Madurai dealer claims that this could be coming out from a dummy behind. They did a thorough cleaning and asked me to do a long drive. I drove it back home and back again to the dealer (c. 250kms). I left the car with them so they could try claiming for the head replacement from Tata but apparently the dealer now says there is no leak - I could not figure out the leak however, my understanding is that once leakage comes it can never stop itself. Also, I think the issue is more of a design thing that Tata happily replaced where complained than a warranty thing. Can someone guide me appropriately . Else, it looks like a 70K expense on a car that I just bought and did 1000 odd kms.

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa-1.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa-4.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa-10.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa-14.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa-17.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa-21.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-tbhp1.png  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-tbhp2.png  

Attached Images

Last edited by Sheel : 6th December 2020 at 16:04. Reason: Mod note attached.
Ashwinbr is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 19:29   #5842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwinbr View Post
but apparently the dealer now says there is no leak - I could not figure out the leak however, my understanding is that once leakage comes it can never stop itself. Also, I think the issue is more of a design thing that Tata happily replaced where complained than a warranty thing. Can someone guide me appropriately . Else, it looks like a 70K expense on a car that I just bought and did 1000 odd kms.
Hey Ashwin, congrats on getting your Hexa. We wish you miles of happiness.
Now coming to the issue you are facing, since you have already complaint to TASS once for the leakage, you dont need to worry.
Actually its the right thing to do. Once after cleaning, please observe for a few thousand kms if the leakage occurs again. You would not want to get your engine head replaced on a false alarm.
Anyways, keep an eye after every drive and for the next few weeks.
IN case you observe it again, then you have a case and you can then followup with TASS and TATA.

Now the second point is should you pay for this from your pocket ?
NO, absolutely not. Question - do you have extended warranty ? If yes, this is exactly the kind of thing EW should help in.
You can request TASS to ask for goodwill gesture and take care of the replacement and associated cost and you may get the replacement done (only if the issue reoccurs).

Also join the all India Hexa Owners group and connect with local Hexa owners and get the contact of TASS in your city which is competent in handling such cases. ALl the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSolEn View Post
Read a post by Swarnava.ch regarding the achievement of the 20kmpl magical figure on the Hexa MID. Well, this is from my drive from Pune-Alibaug 2 days back. This is the reading for Pune to the food mall just before the Khalapur toll. Drive was normal, didn't apply any special methods. Just kept the vehicle steady between 80-90 Kmph.
Thanks AdiSolEn for reposing my faith in the Hexa Community
So as I was saying its very easy to achieve these figures. Quick question, did you keep the Gear at 6th and 90kmph av. speed ?
This was the main point of my question above in the earlier post.

Last edited by swarnava.ch : 6th December 2020 at 19:34. Reason: adding additional comments / reply
Old 6th December 2020, 20:56   #5843
BANNED

Quote:
Friends.. :. Else, it looks like a 70K expense on a car that I just bought and did 1000 odd kms.
Hi , I just got the exhaust gasket replaced foc. My suggestion is get the exhaust ports bolts tightened as I observed they were loose when they were opening. Get it cleaned and tightened ,post which you should not face any leakage. It takes a bit of time.

I am facing a noise from driver side dashboard on expansion joints or sharp pot holes. It sound like something is hitting the plastic in the dashboard. Any ideas of probable cause.

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 6th December 2020 at 21:11.
Old 6th December 2020, 21:33   #5844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
Tata Hexa will not be coming back. Tata has got rid of the Aria chassis/platform and all future launches will not be body on frame.
It's true that Tata will use only two platforms: Alfa and Omega. But these will be used only for new launches, not for existing cars' facelifts. I even doubt Hexa will receive a facelift. It might only be a BS6 upgrade. Mayank Pareek clearly mentioned Hexa will not be replaced. It will only be repositioned.

Also, Tata wouldn't just let go of the LoF platform(X2), they plan to do away with the X0 (tiago, tigor) and X1 (Nexon) platforms as well. So it's more than possible that next gen tiago and nexon would be Alfa based.
Benoit is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 12:58   #5845
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Also, Tata wouldn't just let go of the LoF platform(X2), they plan to do away with the X0 (tiago, tigor) and X1 (Nexon) platforms as well. So it's more than possible that next gen tiago and nexon would be Alfa based.
Yes - a few years ago they had already said that the X0, X1 will continue till the generation change for these current cars. No more new models will be launched on these. So mostly the next generations of these cars will be ALFA based. If the ALFA is versatile enough to base a next generation Nexon on it - it is a fantastic achievement indeed.

I still feel they need something to plug the large hole between ALFA/X1 and OMEGA. That is the size where majority of the action is happening in sales numbers today - and Tata is missing in this segment (as usual).

The LoF X2 is a tricky one. Some years ago - they had clearly indicated that its going out & they are moving to monocoques. Like their flagship LandRover did. I wonder if they have any clear decision in place about their commitment to the "niche" area of cars - like the THAR / other 4x4 capable vehicles. If they have given up on such segments & want to focus on tarmac based volume sales numbers for growth - I don't see the purpose of an X2 platform in the modern era - especially with EVs fast approaching.

The X2 anyway will effectively be present but not in PV segment IMO. The vehicles like the Xenon pickup / YODHA etc are based on a modified X2 anyway. So the platform won't just go into sunset any time soon as such.
Reinhard is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 21:18   #5846
BHPian

Guys, I am going to be in Bangalore a week from now and I was hoping to get a lead on someone who could help out with an upgrade to the headlight bulbs. I find the low beam to be quite weak especially on highways and want to upgrade to higher wattage bulbs. I checked around in Pune but haven't been able to find someone who seems confident enough with it. I was hoping to try out my luck in Bangalore. Any suggestions on whom I could approach?

I tried searching the forum but couldn't find any conclusive threads/posts on this.
Old 13th December 2020, 08:00   #5847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
Dear Hexa Owners,
Let me share my Eureka moment yesterday while riding my Hexa for a round trip on NICE road Bangalore from ECity side to Tumkur road and back. Went there just to be able to drive the car after some time and stretch the legs. Its about 120 kms roundtrip.
Would love to hear any feedback from fellow Hexa owners and or anyone else who has used the Varicore engine and share their feedback.
I did achive 20 KMPL for the whole 600+ KM trip from Hyderabad-Bangalore.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20201029_170814.jpg

There is a 1-1.5 KM diff when you measure tank full to tank full and the MID, MID is inflated here.

Last edited by vb-saan : 13th December 2020 at 15:27. Reason: For ease of reading, please do not quote the whole post. Thank you!
bageherath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 18:57   #5848

Quote:
Friends.. been 6 weeks since picking up the Hexa XTA with captain seats
Congrats Ashwin on your latest acquisition, wish you hundreds of happy miles. I am also on a lookout for a good HEXA AT in the market but also want to wait for the Gravitas as I liked the look of it from the Auto Expo.

If you don't mind sharing, can you share how much the car costed you. Would be a good indicator for me.
Old 26th December 2020, 07:42   #5849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaneLane View Post
Congrats Ashwin on your latest acquisition, wish you hundreds of happy miles. I am also on a lookout for a good HEXA AT in the market but also want to wait for the Gravitas as I liked the look of it from the Auto Expo.

If you don't mind sharing, can you share how much the car costed you. Would be a good indicator for me.
Mine costed about 13. Some say the price could have been a little lower but I liked the vehicle and the way the past owner had maintained the vehicle. All the best in your search.
Ashwinbr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 09:00   #5850
BHPian

Quote:
Mine costed about 13. Some say the price could have been a little lower but I liked the vehicle and the way the past owner had maintained the vehicle. All the best in your search.
Good to see the Hexa holding up in its value. It shows that it is a well engineered car. Wishing you many years with the vehicle. If you haven't already, you can get the extended warranty to the maximum duration possible.
Cessna182 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks