Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2020, 19:40   #5716
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

50000 kms service update.

Nothing to report. Everything is fine as usual. I am not going to post any pics. There are so many pics already of my car and it could get boring.

Brake pads are fine for another at least 10k kms according to the service manager. Only the brake fluid was topped up

All tyres are fine and the total cost of service was 3500.

We hexa owners almost got 80-90% of an endeavor or fortuner at half the price and the deal was extreme value for money.

And thats all I have to report. Mine is not normal usage. I take it to lots of places with no roads or bad roads but still it rides like new with superb reliability. Great job, not Tata, but team Hexa.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 20:06   #5717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
50000 kms service update.

Brake pads are fine for another at least 10k kms according to the service manager. Only the brake fluid was topped up.
Your brake pad life is amazing. I am at 26k and was told that front pads will need replacement in the next 5k. Must be to do with my driving style and the kind of roads. My Hexa spends its life in narrow roads of kerela where quick overtakes and immediate braking is very common.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 22nd June 2020 at 20:07.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 13:43   #5718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
I guess you could go ahead with it.

The Hexa's gear knob is styled on the older Storme's knob as mentioned on post #8 on this thread.

Here's a pic of the knob from older Storme

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/157740.jpg

A link to the catalogue

https://boodmo.com/catalog/4156-gear...171-tata-hexa/
Thanks for the link. Will this work on the Aria? My Aria's gear knob has come loose and I have to repair or replace it.

Edit - scratch that. The part shows a price of nearly Rs 3000!

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 23rd June 2020 at 13:44.
digitalnirvana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 21:58   #5719
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubin View Post

1. things i miss are the "Alloy Wheels" been aching to get a good design for it but TATAs limited options and distasteful aftermarket ones left me wanting for more. only a few days back i saw a 2020 Harrier on the road and the alloy wheel design struck with me.
called up the Service guys at Tata who told me yes the Harrier and Hexa wheel size etc is the same. my mind went haywire and i am thinking of taking this step.

2. Also tried my luck with the Headlamp bulb upgrade but it shows some kinda error on the Diagnostics so didn't want to live with a constant reminder in the MID so switched back to factory bulbs, any one has any luck with a headlamp upgrade?

1. Should be fine in my opinion. Size of the tyres is identical. Helps to checl the weight of the Harrier versus the Hexa, which should tilt the decision in favour. The steel rims are good looking, though and can be kept neat and clean and shiny with polish, as I do in my ARIA.

2. You can use any H7 12V 55W halogen bulb to upgrade. I'm using MGS PHILIPS Xtremevision bulbs in the low beams and PHILIPS H7 Whitevision 12972 bulbs on high beam (Amazon.in). Sufficient light. Enquired with PHILIPS India and they confirmed that their LED range fits without any accessories. However, there is very little space for the LEDs heat sink and dropped the idea. Very expensive as well, close to 2.5K per bulb.
Old 29th June 2020, 15:51   #5720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
You can use any H7 12V 55W halogen bulb to upgrade
Just wanted to share that a few of my friends are also using HIDs for the Low beams with Canbus modules and they are quite happy with the Output and Throw.
There are usually two main issues:
1. HID kits if not installed properly will start throwing errors in the MID
2. Other personal observation is selecting the right colour temperature. White light usually looks upmarket but is not very useful during Rains or Fogs.

As you said, we decided to keep the High beams on the Halogens. You can select any good brand. Typically the low beam light is what creates the visibility problems.
swarnava.ch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 18:11   #5721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
Just wanted to share that a few of my friends are also using HIDs for the Low beams with Canbus modules and they are quite happy with the Output and Throw.
There are usually two main issues:
1. HID kits if not installed properly will start throwing errors in the MID
2. Other personal observation is selecting the right colour temperature. White light usually looks upmarket but is not very useful during Rains or Fogs.

As you said, we decided to keep the High beams on the Halogens. You can select any good brand. Typically the low beam light is what creates the visibility problems.
curious to know which HIDs are available for the 4300-5500k color temperature ? which i understand is close to daylight, without being white.
Old 1st July 2020, 18:30   #5722
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
curious to know which HIDs are available for the 4300-5500k color temperature ? which i understand is close to daylight, without being white.
Osram Xenarc 35W conversion kits are available in that temperature off the shelf. Light output is higher than 55W halogens while power consumption is significantly lower.

You can find the details on that product as well as DIY installation on a sibling Tata car on my thread here -
Osram HID Conversion Kit Nexon DIY thread (DIY - Tata Nexon XZ+ - Osram 35W HID conversion kit)

If you want even better light throw in 4300K/4200K temperature range, I suggest you go for canbus enabled conversion kits from IPHCar / CrystalEye. The lighting is far better (thanks to the higher wattage of course). These are basically the same 55W bulbs used in HID projector fog lights, but with ballasts that have a canbus adapter.
(N.B. - Supply of either options may be patchy right now thanks to Covid-19 disruption.)
Reinhard is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 06:41   #5723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Hi smsrini, As you read from the reply above that there are many options in the market. I can suggest one that I have two of my friends already tried and tested on Hexas.
Its UGlare Canbus compatible kits. You have to choose appropriate bulb size - H7 and wattage in case of Hexa and colour temperature as per your liking.
As an example, see the link here.
This is just an example and you can search others.

You can get it installed by your trusted FNG, the key here is the CANBUS placement away from any of the car electronics to avoid resets on MID and post installation, dont forget the vertical and horizontal alignment otherwise you will not realize the true benifit.
Old 2nd July 2020, 11:24   #5724
Senior - BHPian

My Hexa spent the last 4 days at TASS. During the lockdown, I had found a leak in the fuel tank. The irony is that it was for the first time that I filled full tank diesel in my 2.5-year-old Hexa, that too just before I had to lock it down for 2 months. The leak was happening only when the tank was full. Straight after the lockdown, my left wiper got stuck.

Last Friday, got TASS to pick up the car from my home and got it dropped back by Wednesday. Fuel tank and both the wiper motors were replaced under warranty. To their credit, they put in a vehicle off-road order for the parts and reduced the downtime to 4 days.

But the incident did affect my confidence in Tata's part quality and their recall process. Apparently wiper motor issue is common in Hexa. What irritates me is that there is no active recall process for that. Or they had and my dealership messed up that recall process. Whatever it is, they let me wait till the wiper motor failed in a monsoon morning when I was about to go to the office. The total number of service center visits for my 2.5 year old Hexa has now exceeded that of my 6 year old Xcent. Hope it runs without issues for some time now.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 2nd July 2020 at 11:30.
padmrajravi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 11:50   #5725
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
But the incident did affect my confidence in Tata's part quality and their recall process. Apparently wiper motor issue is common in Hexa. What irritates me is that there is no active recall process for that. Or they had and my dealership messed up that recall process. Whatever it is, they let me wait till the wiper motor failed in a monsoon morning when I was about to go to the office. The total number of service center visits for my 2.5 year old Hexa has now exceeded that of my 6 year old Xcent. Hope it runs without issues for some time now.
The way I understand recalls - they generally tend to be made for design or mechanical flaws that pose a safety risk by failure during car operation. Things like airbags, suspension components, drive train, fuel lines, key electrical connections and potential fire hazards. These are items that can cause a direct threat to occupants' lives in case of a failure during vehicle operation, especially because they leave hardly any time for the driver to react. Then there are some items that have design flaws that result in permanent damage to other parts of the cars & need to be replaced in all cars of those batches. I don't think a wiper motor would fall in this category. I don't think there are recalls done by any brands that have auxiliary systems failing. Otherwise most cars from most vendors would spend their lives in recall transits I guess.

OT - Hexa has 2 separate wiper motors? Interesting. Its also tricky to implement the timing for these since over time if they age differently - the 2 wipers would start working out of sync.
Reinhard is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 11:59   #5726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

OT - Hexa has 2 separate wiper motors? Interesting. Its also tricky to implement the timing for these since over time if they age differently - the 2 wipers would start working out of sync.
Not sure about that since I haven't personally checked. SA says they replaced both. Only one wiper got stuck in my case.
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:00   #5727
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Not sure about that since I haven't personally checked. SA says they replaced both. Only one wiper got stuck in my case.
They didn't return the original replaced part to you? That's "interesting ^ 2".
Reinhard is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:40   #5728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They didn't return the original replaced part to you? That's "interesting ^ 2".
Parts replaced under warranty are not given to the vehicle owner.
jeepster is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 16:02   #5729
BHPian

An update on my ownership thread and also a similar complaint from a fellow-owner regarding an issue which I faced in the initial days: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4835988 (Our Big Boy: Tata Hexa XT 4x2)

Can't believe the alloy just cracked that way. No off-road, no rash driving, maintained proper pressure of between 36-40 all the time and yet this. (Attaching a pic here for reference.)
Tata Hexa : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20200702-09.53.57.jpeg

Beginning to think on the whole that it may not be as rugged as it looks and is rather delicate: from wiper motors and alloy cracks to inconsistent ECU behaviors.
abhi7013 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 17:55   #5730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think there are recalls done by any brands that have auxiliary systems failing. Otherwise most cars from most vendors would spend their lives in recall transits I guess.
International manufacturers do. Here is a recall by Toyota for a wiper issue.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aut...-wiper-recall/

Apprently there is a wiper recall for Hexa too. Here is an instance from this thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4344152 (Tata Hexa : Official Review)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4344020 (Tata Hexa : Official Review)

So my dealership messed up.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 2nd July 2020 at 17:56.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed