Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2020, 20:24   #5671
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Like I had mentioned earlier, since the Varicor 400 engine was always BS5 compliant from day 1 Tata need not invest much time and effort into making it a BS6 unit.
Cheers to Tata for being ahead on this critical area, and for continuing this beautiful engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Music to the ears! I'm glad the 2.2V400 will soldier on... This reliable engine is a gem (along with the brother from another mother mHawk). God bless TML for continuing with it.
Absolutely ! Though the BS4 2.2 Varicor in my Storme only does 340 Nm, I am just loving it. The Storme is within sniffing distance of 85k now, the hum of this beautiful diesel is like music when cruising.
condor is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 19:52   #5672
BHPian

I am getting a Hexa XT 4X2, February 2017 model at 9.5 lakhs that has done about 1 lakh kms. It is a single handed driven vehicle that has recently been sold to a used car dealer. Is it a reasonable price for the vehicle, considering that it has already done 1 lakh kms in a span of 3 years, approx 100kms per day on average. How much of a service or maintenance cost am I looking at, if I intend to keep it for 4 years and about 40-50k kms. Thank you.
TD_GHY is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 07:00   #5673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD_GHY View Post
I am getting a Hexa XT 4X2, February 2017 model at 9.5 lakhs that has done about 1 lakh kms. It is a single handed driven vehicle that has recently been sold to a used car dealer. Is it a reasonable price for the vehicle, considering that it has already done 1 lakh kms in a span of 3 years, approx 100kms per day on average. How much of a service or maintenance cost am I looking at, if I intend to keep it for 4 years and about 40-50k kms. Thank you.
Check suspension bushes, struts, ball joints, tie rod etc. Also check if timing chain has been replaced and at what mileage (80k+ should be the norm). Check tyres for irregular wear and tear.

Besides regular service, I doubt if you will have any major expenses if the vehicle has been maintained well. Price, I can't comment. Basic difference between need and want.
discoverwild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 10:03   #5674
KMT
BHPian

Quote:
Seriously, you will pay Rs10 Lakhs for a Rs17 lakh vehicle that has run a 100,000 kms.

Please take your time and buy a Hexa that has run 30 -40kms. You should get it at 11-12L.

Even at 8L this car is not worth it as you will soon have to do the timing belt work/gbox synchros and a whole lot of other work that comes with 100k ( the notional half life of a car).

Rest assured you will regret busting so much money on a high mileage market flop model.
KMT is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 11:18   #5675
BHPian

Quote:
I am getting a Hexa XT 4X2, February 2017 model at 9.5 lakhs that has done about 1 lakh kms.
As BHPian KMT said, 9.5 lacs is steep and could be problematic for a Feb 2017 Hexa, with 1lac on the odo. Don't forget this car would be one from the initial batches too. So more niggles could be encountered.

You will find many low run Hexas from 2018 onwards, in the 9-12 lac range, with less than 40k mileage.

Also, try sticking to MT Hexas. I've found the AT Hexas to give problems to their owners more than the MT ones. From engine head to complete engine replacement.

Finding a XT Hexa where the owner has switched to smaller alloys would be an added bonus.
TROOPER is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 12:47   #5676
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
As BHPian KMT said, 9.5 lacs is steep and could be problematic for a Feb 2017 Hexa, with 1lac on the odo. Don't forget this car would be one from the initial batches too. So more niggles could be encountered.

You will find many low run Hexas from 2018 onwards, in the 9-12 lac range, with less than 40k mileage.

Also, try sticking to MT Hexas. I've found the AT Hexas to give problems to their owners more than the MT ones. From engine head to complete engine replacement.

Finding a XT Hexa where the owner has switched to smaller alloys would be an added bonus.

Strongly disagree.

My Hexa XTA has done 80k km in 3 years. It’s also an early 2017 model. Absolutely trouble free with no niggles. Just one instance of a leak in the turbocharger packing, which was promptly replaced under warranty. I haven’t spent a penny on maintenance till date, thanks to gold AMC. Service costs aren’t exorbitant as oil is to be changed every 20000km. Steering and suspensions are as good as new. AT gearbox is absolutely trouble free. It is in any case sealed, which means there is no maintenance to do at all.

This is a tough, reliable and quality vehicle with solid and well engineered underpinnings. No doubts there.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 13:44   #5677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
My Hexa XTA has done 80k km in 3 years. It’s also an early 2017 model. Absolutely trouble free with no niggles.
As a fellow owner, that's good to hear.

I just gave my two cents based on my interactions with fellow owners and whatever other sources are available to me. My only opinion is that there's a higher chance of running into trouble with an AT compared to an MT Hexa, as far as engine issues are concerned.
TROOPER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 14:12   #5678
BHPian

Quote:
I am getting a Hexa XT 4X2, February 2017 model at 9.5 lakhs that has done about 1 lakh kms.
I will also recommend a newer car if you manage to get one, 2018 or 19 made. However most probably, you won't be getting a lot of Hexas in Guwahati. You will get some XUVs, specially if you are based in Guwahati proper. Else It's mostly Safari's and Scorpios and yeah tons of Boleros. Now if you like the car - please get it thoroughly checked at service station and check for service history. Also check if the owner had bought extended warranty.

One Lakh is not that bad on a Hexa. I have had a Hexa with 95 thousand kilometer done at Bangalore through Zoom Cars and it was mechanically fine. No issues at all. Yes electrical there were some issues but not major.

Now coming to cost any car has 1st and 2nd year depreciation of 20% per year. XT costs 21 now. In 2017 it would have been between 19 and 20. So if you add a 3rd year depreciation of 20% still 9.5 is a decent price.

Look at the tyre condition, last service done and recommended repairs cost, dents, seats and take a final call. 9 Lakhs will be a good deal I think.
busydrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 14:17   #5679
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As a fellow owner, that's good to hear.

I just gave my two cents based on my interactions with fellow owners and whatever other sources are available to me. My only opinion is that there's a higher chance of running into trouble with an AT compared to an MT Hexa, as far as engine issues are concerned.
Is there any data to back this up? The old notion of ATs being unreliable has long been junked. There are tens of thousands of automatic Hexas running trouble free across the country. Has any engine or transmission related issue been reported? None. Torque converter automatic is the MOST reliable kind of gearbox there is. Even more than an a manual. This same gearbox has also done duty on a host of GM, Ford and Land Rovers as well. This is a proven unit, backed by a 150k km warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Seriously, you will pay Rs10 Lakhs for a Rs17 lakh vehicle that has run a 100,000 kms.

Please take your time and buy a Hexa that has run 30 -40kms. You should get it at 11-12L.

Even at 8L this car is not worth it as you will soon have to do the timing belt work/gbox synchros and a whole lot of other work that comes with 100k ( the notional half life of a car).

Rest assured you will regret busting so much money on a high mileage market flop model.
You wouldn’t mind paying this money for a similarly run Innova, would you?

The 2.2 Variocor is a proven and time tested engine. The owners manual clearly states that the timing belt and tensioner are to be changed at 150000km or 5 years, not at 100k as you claim. Regarding the MT gearbox synchros, this again is not a regular replacement part. Synchros usually last the life of the vehicle and are very rarely changed. Has any instance of this TA650 manual gearbox giving trouble or requiring opening been reported? Anything specific to synchros? Absolutely none here on TBhp. None on the Hexa and none the Safari Storme thread. As long as you change gear oil on time, this is a trouble free gearbox.

Regarding other work, my own Hexa is at 80k+ and is in top shape. Steering and suspensions are as good as new. There is no reason to believe they will need replacement anytime soon.

My old Scorpio has done almost 450000km with the engine undergoing nothing other than regular maintenance. Runs just fine even today. These big diesel engines are supremely reliable. Keep changing oils and filters on time and don’t let it overheat. The engine will easily outlast the car. If you don’t take care, any and every engine will give trouble.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th May 2020 at 12:07. Reason: Toning down
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 14:43   #5680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Is there any data to back this up? The old notion of ATs being unreliable has long been junked. There are tens of thousands of automatic Hexas running trouble free across the country. Has any engine or transmission related issue been reported? None. Torque converter automatic is the MOST reliable kind of gearbox there is. Even more than an a manual. This same gearbox has also done duty on a host of GM, Ford and Land Rovers as well. This is a proven unit, backed by a 150k km warranty.
I think you need to go back and read my posts carefully. I haven't mentioned any transmission issues. I have clearly mentioned engine issues.

For whatever reasons known to Tata, engines tend to fail or engine heads need to be replaced on XTAs.

Here's one from our very own forum.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...tata-hexa.html (Engine head replacement on my Tata Hexa)

I am personally in touch with one owner from Bangalore whose 45k run XTA's entire engine had to be replaced. That too with a rebuilt one. And the whole experience has been harrowing to say the least.

As I said earlier, for some reason, engine issues crop up on AT Hexas. I have nothing against the product or the AT transmission.

I myself am a XT owner. Would I buy a pre-owned Tata? With over 50k on the odo? With the way majority of Indians treat their cars and TASS's reputation? No.

Last edited by vb-saan : 3rd May 2020 at 10:37. Reason: Personal/Group chat conversation screenshot and references removed. Thank you!
TROOPER is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 14:49   #5681
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a different opinion. If a vehicle has done 100 kms daily and consistently for 3 years, I will consider it to be very reliable. After driving and inspecting this vehicle, if I don't find anything amiss, I won't hesitate buying such a vehicle.
ashis89 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 19:02   #5682
KMT
BHPian

Hi, as a person who has bought many cars and many second hand cars, I have considerable experience in getting my fingers and wallet burnt.

IF it was a Toyota my response would have been different, IF it was a Ferrari it would have been even more different. But its a Hexa, nothing more, nothing less.

I am giving sound advice to a bhpian to prevent him from paying too much for a high mileage early model Hexa.

I have nothing against the Hexa and had suggested that he looks out for a newer lower mileage one. That way he will get the more sorted product and in case things don't work out for him with a Hexa he can sell it without losing too much. Selling a used car with 100k on the odo is pretty hard.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th May 2020 at 12:22. Reason: Quoted text deleted. Toning down
KMT is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 20:34   #5683
Senior - BHPian

Hexa XTA was close to 20 lakhs on road in 2017. 9.95 for a 3 year old vehicle is actually good price even with 100000 on the ODO. What other option does he have for an automatic 7 seater with 7 airbags and 200 mm GC under 10 lakh ? Innovas go for 14-15 lakh in my area for similar mileage vehicles.

Edit - I now realize the discussion was about a manual XT Hexa. Even then I think it is a good price since it still undercuts manual Innovas of the same mileage by a good 3 lakhs.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 1st May 2020 at 20:52.
padmrajravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 21:54   #5684
Senior - BHPian

Guys a quick update on my Hexa.

Since my business is exempted from the lockdown I have been truly enjoying the empty streets on my daily commute to work. This has had a positive effect on the fuel economy as I am getting close to 14 kmpl now. My car has now done close to 35k kms and there are no issues to report as such.

I have observed a strange thing regarding the tyre pressures. The last time when I had filled air was on 20th March. I always keep the air pressure at 33 psi and follow this practice religiously so as not to have any issues with those lovely 19 inchers. But it seems that the tyres are not loosing pressure at all because the last time I checked them was a few days back and they still showed 31-32 psi and I have been checking the pressure every 15 days since the day I filled the air. This is really strange. Anybody has any answers?

Slightly going off topic. I found this advertisement of the Hexa Downtown Edition which I don't think has been shared before. Enjoy.

ram87pune is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 07:37   #5685
BHPian

Quote:
I think you need to go back and read my posts carefully. I haven't mentioned any transmission issues. I have clearly mentioned engine issues.
We are mixing up two separate topics here.
1. Is the 2017 XT worth asking price ? - Yes. It will be a very good deal if some one manages to get it at 8.5 - 8.75 L.
In the same WhatsApp group you referred, there are few XTs with more than IL on the odo. Also, few XTAs with 1L or between 80k to 1 L on the odo. And the engine failure topic you mentioned was one-off instance, where engine was once rebuilt and and then replaced. This shows willingness of Tata to fix any issues.
So, even if there is an issue, it will be taken care of.

2. Issues with engine head of XTA. This again is one-off occurrence, if any and can not be generalized. I own a 2017 XTA with 60+ k on the odo. It is flawless so far and I am covered for 5 years / 1.5 L against issues, if any.
It is the same engine in XM, XT and XTA, not sure why only XTA / XMA will have issues.

Last edited by Sheel : 3rd May 2020 at 16:30. Reason: 2007 = 2017. Please proof read before submitting your post. Thanks.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks