Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2020, 08:33   #5611
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

I think this could be a two row edition with a sofa type seat or two individual busienss class type seats at the back. This could be available both in manual 4X4 and automatic 4X2 configurations. I don't see any powertrain changes coming in, given the Auto they have in the HEXA from Punch Powerglide is not capable of 4-wheel drive configuration.
Old 6th February 2020, 08:57   #5612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I don't see any powertrain changes coming in, given the Auto they have in the HEXA from Punch Powerglide is not capable of 4-wheel drive configuration.

There is no capability problem. In fact, it is tailor-made for 4x4 applications. It is just that Tata thinks there is no market for this in India. It may not bring them the volume to balance the cost of engineering effort. Toyota and Ford can do that only because they have volumes from the international market.

Tata themselves launched the Xenon in 4x4 AT combination in multiple counties with that gearbox.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-v...-thailand.html (Tata Xenon 4x4 with 6-speed Automatic unveiled in Thailand)

The latest generation Mahindra Roxor comes with the same gearbox in 4x4 AT.

https://www.punchpowerglide.com/en/r...nch-powerglide

Last edited by padmrajravi : 6th February 2020 at 08:59.
padmrajravi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 14:55   #5613
BHPian

Found a new feature deletion today. The switch to turn off the front passenger side airbag has been deleted. Just a blank in place. Don't know where do these feature deletions stop and no wonder Tata came close to deleting the car itself

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img20200206wa0005_resize_17.jpg

Deleted features:
Engine cover
Roof rails
Sunglass holder
Multi color mood lights (Only white available)
Airbag disable switch
Puddle lamps
Cooled glove box lamp
Boot lamp and 12V socket

Last edited by TROOPER : 6th February 2020 at 15:11. Reason: Added stuff
TROOPER is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 18:39   #5614
Distinguished - BHPian

Hexa sales/dispatch reaches a new low in Jan. Is it due to the inventory levels at dealers responsible for this abysmal figure?

Name:  11.PNG
Views: 4968
Size:  45.8 KB

Source:Auto Punditz
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 18:46   #5615
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
[b]Deleted features:
Looks like there is a feature deletion contest going on at Tata Motors' team that is linked to incentives

Jokes apart, it's hard to understand the approach Tata has had for Hexa right from the time of launch. Launching XE only with white with black door handles and mirrors for their 'flagship' car was one such thing. They took about 10-12 months to introduce XM+ version to bridge the gap between XM and XT. Auto variants never got ESP. Roof rails - call it trivial but it did take away a good part of the 'SUV' stance it had. I can understand deleting mood lighting but not toning it down to one color! Some serious brains are working for Tata. 19" wheels were a joke so it probably does not count as a feature deletion but what is not excusable is going back to the old alloys from Aria.

To sum it up, when the company itself is so lethargic in selling Hexa, what can one expect from the dealers? Tata have shot themselves in the foot here.
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 14:24   #5616
Senior - BHPian

Tata website says Hexa automatic is AMT .

Looks like there is nobody proof reading these changes. In the prices section, they now have Hexa XE Commercial listed. The XMA Ex showroom price is now almost equal to the on road price I paid two years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-screenshot-20200210-142051.png  

Last edited by padmrajravi : 10th February 2020 at 14:29.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 12:19   #5617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Am guessing that this is just an edition that they will be showcasing at the auto expo and will not be available for mainstream sales. Might just be one of their prototype designs which does not see the light of day..
In the last 3 to 4 years, all protos shown in any show have made it to the showroom within a matter of 24 to 30 months. The only protos we have not had an update on are the Racemo and the E-vision. Also, Pratap Bose has always gone on record saying the protos shown will make it in reality and are 90 to 95% production ready.
Old 13th February 2020, 12:43   #5618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
In the last 3 to 4 years, all protos shown in any show have made it to the showroom within a matter of 24 to 30 months. The only protos we have not had an update on are the Racemo and the E-vision. Also, Pratap Bose has always gone on record saying the protos shown will make it in reality and are 90 to 95% production ready.
But i don't think this particular edition is available right now. Just checked with a Showroom before typing this post and they said they have no idea and they've even removed the Hexa from display to make way for the Nexon EV.

I do agree that TATA comes up with real cars quickly post the showcase of their prototype. But this was not a prototype. Just an edition with minor cosmetic changes. October is a long way away to guess if this would be one of the versions that will be made available. And given the new engine, i am betting on a newer design too. So this edition that was showcased will indeed not be made available in the Hexa's current avatar.

PS: Among the list of prototypes that didn't make it, i guess Sierra may have to be added on. Cause in one of the interviews, Bose kept stressing that 'IF we decide to develop this, it would look pretty close'. I really hope it is developed and not shelved away. That IF in his statement is pretty ambiguous.
abhi7013 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 16:18   #5619
BHPian

I have a question for all Hexa XE and XM owners - have you fitted any wheel cover on your Hexa? I wasn't very sure if any wheel cover will fit due to the design and a local search didn't yield any positive results. So wanted to know first hand if this is possible and have been tried before I continue the search for wheel covers for Hexa.

Also found something like this on the net: http://www.vicky.in/shopping/wheel-cover-tata-hexa
I am now way related to this site. Has anyone tried this?
Thanks for the help.

Last edited by busydrive : 17th February 2020 at 16:35.
Old 17th February 2020, 16:39   #5620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
PS: Among the list of prototypes that didn't make it, i guess Sierra may have to be added on. Cause in one of the interviews, Bose kept stressing that 'IF we decide to develop this, it would look pretty close'. I really hope it is developed and not shelved away. That IF in his statement is pretty ambiguous.
In the corporate world higher echelons, people are paid millions just to say the "IF" at the right place. Not much other things to do in the day for them.

The uncertainty is always to be maintained to ensure there are no embarrassments later in the time if things take different course. Too early to use the "when" word. Since it was not just a concept like the Maruti Futuro but something where they went ahead to tell that this is based on the Alfa arc, makes me feel it will be a reality. Nobody names a platform for a concept if its not to be made for real.

Sorry
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 12:30   #5621
BHPian

Hi All,

A Hexa XMA, manufactured in July 2018 (yes!) is being sold by the dealer (Hyderabad, where I just moved to) for a discount of 3.5 lakhs. I'm a bit tempted, but also concerned, since the car has effectively been sitting in the yard for a year and a half. The warranty will kick-in post billing and I will likely get the extended warranty as well.

Would you recommend it? What could go wrong?

Of course, one could wait more and get a bigger discount closer to the BS6 deadline. Is there any discount for which this could be a worthwhile bargain?

Any insights are appreciated.

Last edited by coolvenk : 18th February 2020 at 12:32.
Old 18th February 2020, 13:16   #5622
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvenk View Post
Hi All,

A Hexa XMA, manufactured in July 2018 (yes!) is being sold by the dealer (Hyderabad, where I just moved to) for a discount of 3.5 lakhs. I'm a bit tempted, but also concerned, since the car has effectively been sitting in the yard for a year and a half. The warranty will kick-in post billing and I will likely get the extended warranty as well.

Would you recommend it? What could go wrong?

Of course, one could wait more and get a bigger discount closer to the BS6 deadline. Is there any discount for which this could be a worthwhile bargain?

Any insights are appreciated.
You can ask for more discount or ask for battery & tire replacements, free AMC & Extended Warranty. Checkout this - https://gaadiwaadi.com/tata-hexa-xm-...count-details/

It cannot be a TD car since it is not the top trim, so there must be some reason for it to be left unsold for so long.

Ask him for good long TD of the particular car, take it out and get it thoroughly assessed by an evaluation professional. Also thoroughly check if there are any litigations with the car's TC registration and TR.

Calculate cost of any works if needed, factor in those costs, and proceed for a hard bargain. Give your quote and wait for him to reply, if he doesn't match up to your quote, calmly wait until mid March and then checkout with him again.

Being an old unsold car, many people might have ignored it out of fear and apprehensions. You don't have to leave it, ask the dealer to do the necessary replacements & works to make it brand spanking new, verify the works and proceed if satisfied. Also ask him to update the infotainment system software to the latest version before delivery. Actually it can turn out to be a good deal.
wheelguy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 16:23   #5623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
According to my sources Tata Sons has approved funds to the tune of 6000 crore rupees to Tata Motors which will be made available to them by April 2020. So there is not a single word being uttered in the management meetings regarding new products and their development till then. Tata is in extreme cash crunch as of now. Yes they have chalked out a strategy as to which products will be launched in the next 3-4 years and if the Sierra is one of them then most definitely it will feature at the bottom of the list.

This year Tata will launch the Gravitas and the updated Harrier/Hexa followed by the Hornbill. No more new launches are expected this year, maybe the Altroz EV could be squeezed in before the year end.

On the Omega platform, they have planned the 4 door coupe version of the Harrier and most likely the Blackbird SUV too will be built on this platform.

On the Alfa platform they are thinking of launching a sedan and an MPV in the 10-15 lakh range to take on the Ciaz and the Ertiga respectively.

My sources say that the Sierra project is a least priority one because it is not expected to be a volume generator and Tata needs volumes and plugging glaring gaps in its product range at the earliest.

Last edited by ram87pune : 18th February 2020 at 16:38.
ram87pune is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 12:46   #5624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
You can ask for more discount or ask for battery & tire replacements, free AMC & Extended Warranty. Checkout this - https://gaadiwaadi.com/tata-hexa-xm-...count-details/
Thanks ! Excellent advice.

So, I also found another unit, a June 2017 XTA for a 4.5 lakh discount from a different dealer. Yes, over 2 and a half years old, so I'm not as keen. The dealer did say that it wasn't a TD car, but this needs further probing. And not as sweet a deal as the previous one, but I could bargain much harder here. Also, tempted by the XTA due to more airbags, JBL speakers and the better seats. Not a fan of the bigger alloys, though. Does come with the old 5-inch head unit, I think. Also, from the pics, the headlight plastic seems to have yellowed a bit. Also, having been in the sun for several years the paint seems a bit dull. A waxing should fix it, but I'm concerned about the paint holding up as well in the long-term. Haven't yet seen the unit in person, so I don't want to prejudice myself too much.

Any thoughts on this one?

Last edited by coolvenk : 20th February 2020 at 12:47.
Old 20th February 2020, 13:35   #5625
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvenk View Post
Thanks ! Excellent advice.

So, I also found another unit, a June 2017 XTA for a 4.5 lakh discount from a different dealer. Yes, over 2 and a half years old, so I'm not as keen. The dealer did say that it wasn't a TD car, but this needs further probing. And not as sweet a deal as the previous one, but I could bargain much harder here. Also, tempted by the XTA due to more airbags, JBL speakers and the better seats. Not a fan of the bigger alloys, though. Does come with the old 5-inch head unit, I think. Also, from the pics, the headlight plastic seems to have yellowed a bit. Also, having been in the sun for several years the paint seems a bit dull. A waxing should fix it, but I'm concerned about the paint holding up as well in the long-term. Haven't yet seen the unit in person, so I don't want to prejudice myself too much.

Any thoughts on this one?
Not a very popular vehicle however not that bad that it sits on a dealer parking lot for 2.5 years. There is something wrong with it I suspect. Apart from the obvious things, I`d be worried about fluids sitting for that long, rust in spots where it should not be and cannot be seen, injectors drying out due to disuse etc etc etc.

Things like extended warranty wont help if the car leaves you on the side of the road, so watch out for deals too good to be true.
Kosfactor is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks