Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2020, 15:48   #5506
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Guys, very happy to announce that after a long wait, got the delivery of my Hexa XT yesterday evening. The delivery experience at Wasan Motors, Chembur was really nice though they took their own sweet time for delivery. They made all arrangement for worship and made the day memorable by cake cutting ceremony. All the documents were properly filed and explained by SA. The complete car demo given with all features explained in detail. Talked to service advisor who is appointed specially for handling Hexa customers and he assured complete support as and when required. Throughout the procedure, my SA Mr. Santosh Verma was very supportive and ensured smooth buying experience. We ensured a token of appreciation for his helpful nature.

Now coming to Hexa, this was the car I wanted since it was launched in 2017. The Hexa is really a beast in it’s own term. Since I have not driven it more and only TD’ed XTA, I will share few initial observations of my Hexa XT.
1) You have to keep in mind the length of the car.
2) 1st & 2nd gear slotting is very hard.
3) Dead peddle sorely missed.
4) All round visibility is superb.
5) Steering is tad heavy and it takes a lot of effort to park it in my parking space.
6) Reverse camera quality is poor for such premium car.
7) Neighborhood friend asked why you downgraded from Hyundai to Tata.

Coming back from Fluidic Verna background, all above observations are in comparison with it. I will try to pen down my complete observations after driving few thousand Kms.

I will take this opportunity to share few photos of my D day.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20200107_174345.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20200107_174416.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20200107_174347.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20200107_174606.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20200107_184036.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img20200108wa0005.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img20200108wa0006.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 8th January 2020 at 17:21. Reason: Minor typos
sandeepsc is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 16:39   #5507
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats, Sandeep. Wishing you a long happy ownership of the Hexa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsc View Post

1) You have to keep in mind the length of the car.
2) 1st & 2nd gear slotting is very hard.

5) Steering is tad heavy ...
You will get used to the length of the car very quickly.

1st & 2nd gear slotting will settle down.
Steering - again, you will get used to it. Looks like you were comparing with the Verna.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 18:18   #5508
BHPian

Anyone knows if Tata is still manufacturing BS4 Hexa? Here the service advisor is telling most probably it has stopped as they got a mail from Tata informing zero stock and not to proceed with booking.
Old 8th January 2020, 18:27   #5509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by busydrive View Post
Anyone knows if Tata is still manufacturing BS4 Hexa? Here the service advisor is telling most probably it has stopped as they got a mail from Tata informing zero stock and not to proceed with booking.
Manufacturing stopped a fairly long time back. Whatever is left at the factory is also in miniscule numbers and subject to availability of colour and variants only. The BS-6 Hexa will take time IMO, so it's better to pick one up now if you are adamant on a Hexa.
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 20:54   #5510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by busydrive View Post
Completely wrong information. Hexa BS4 is still being manufactured this month and most likely next month too if they get enough bookings. This month's production is confirmed. Do not believe the dealer and proceed with your booking. PM me the variant you are looking for and I shall check its availability in the plant.
ram87pune is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 01:37   #5511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by destrukt View Post
I am in the same boat as of now. Awaiting delivery of XM+ in few days
I am interested in Side Steps, Seat Covers and Floor Mats.

Hope you have gone ahead with some/all of the accessories you mentioned.
Can you please post pics (specially of Seat Covers, would like to see fit and finish).

Please recommend relevant accessory shop in Pune for these items and DM me your contact if that's fine.

Hi destrukt, I am collating my pics and other details for the modifications. Will post them very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by destrukt View Post
Finally I settled for dealer insurance, insurer is New India Assurance. They quoted about 50K for Comprehensive (1+3 plan), 95% IDV.

Zero dep was touching almost 60K hence I backed out from Zero Dep.

When I checked on Policy Bazaar I got similar quotes.
I am surprised that you got it in 55K for top model. Is it Zero dep ? Who is the insurer, if you don't mind sharing.

As per their pricelist copy, Zero Dep insurance was showing as 100554/-
I denied taking the dealer insurance upfront and informed the dealer that I will take it from outside. Later, I checked on Policy Bazaar and found the minimum quoted zero dep insurance was around 60k (Tata AIG insurance). I called up the dealer and he agreed to adjust the insurance amount as per the quote on policy bazaar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
That's impossible. Sit in the showroom or at your home with your laptop. Log on to New India Assurance, have them on call with them logged in to Tata insurance and check what quote you get. If they are getting you insurance via Tata insurance brokers, no chance of their quote being more than the one you get via the website by around 2000 INR, which is the digital discount given by NIA on their website. And it's very risky to skimp on zero dep insurance.

Our dealer tried to pull a fast one on us by giving insurance from Magma HDI/Chola. We said ICICI or NIA, or we get it ourselves. My current policy shows 57891 INR with GST including NCB, for zero dep, owner driver cover and unnamed 6 pax cover, and towing. This would have been in 54k to 55k range had we taken insurance ourselves, but we didn't want to delay the registration process. So no way your NIA premium for XM+ can be over 57-60k with zero dep, even if you don't have NCB.

@Trooper: Continuing to the above details, my dealer offered me Chola MS Insurance for 60k for XM+. This includes the following:
  • Zero Dep
  • Emergency Transport & Hotel Expense
  • Key Replacement
  • Personal Belonging
  • Towing
  • Consumables
  • Engine Protect
Note: Similar Quote on Policy Bazaar was offering me all the above add-ons. So the dealer had to add them to their quote too as promised earlier.
Satshan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 08:23   #5512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satshan View Post
@Trooper: Continuing to the above details, my dealer offered me Chola MS Insurance for 60k for XM+. This includes the following:

Note: Similar Quote on Policy Bazaar was offering me all the above add-ons. So the dealer had to add them to their quote too as promised earlier.
Was being offered exactly the same with Magma Hdi and Chola for 54k inclusive gst. Both have one of the lowest claim settlement ratios. ICICI too isn't at the top, but we had a pretty good experience with them for 9 years with our old car. NIA has 90% + settlement ratio and our dealer was willing to settle for that.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 9th January 2020 at 08:55. Reason: trimmed quoted post
TROOPER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 09:21   #5513
Distinguished - BHPian

I tend to come back to this particular Hexa review thread twice or thrice daily, my aspirations being what they are. But I've seen the impending signs as well; Toyota have now clipped the Innova's BS6 engine size. Then there's the problem of hiked prices for big diesels come BS6. And the issue of higher service costs for DPF, Ad Blue etc. There are also whispers of possible bacterial slime formation within diesel fuel tanks with BS6 grade fuel, since there's far too less antibacterial Sulfur in it.

If I was born a decade too late for the Safari, it seems I was born 5 years too late for the Hexa.

I can't help but think now that a petrol MUV would be the best. So no Hexa for me. But hell, it's not as if I ever got to ask Lisa Ray for her hand in marriage either...so, you know. It is what it is.

A petrol Marazzo perhaps, in the future. (As you can tell, I am hung up on having a robust RWD, body on frame people moving vehicle.)
locusjag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 09:52   #5514
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Then there's the problem of hiked prices for big diesels come BS6. And the issue of higher service costs for DPF, Ad Blue etc.
Just considering this point, the BS4 Hexa becomes an attractive choice. It is the Hexa, without these expensive add-ons, and has a full 15 year RC. How many will use it for the full 15 years ?

I am not taking the Hexa off my list of used cars
condor is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 09:53   #5515
BHPian

Quote:
If I was born a decade too late for the Safari, it seems I was born 5 years too late for the Hexa.
If it makes PERFECT SENSE, then you are too late - that was the title of a book i wrote for internal company reading. It applies to our everyday situations too like this automobile purchase. If you are looking for something to make perfect sense it will do so only in hind sight. (hence that sentence 10years late for safari, 5 years late for hexa. Whoever bought safari at that time didn't buy with 200% conviction. They might have just taken the plunge. Especially the first generation owners). So better take the plunge and enjoy the journey. You seem to have done enough home work and intelligent enough to know what to avoid anyway. Cheers.
irdevanand is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 10:04   #5516
BHPian

Quote:
I tend to come back to this particular Hexa review thread twice or thrice daily, my aspirations being what they are. But I've seen the impending signs as well; Toyota have now clipped the Innova's BS6 engine size. Then there's the problem of hiked prices for big diesels come BS6......
+1 to what condor and irdevanad have said.

Have always found the innova grossly overpriced and the Hexa XT's prices too were raised by 1.35 Lac from introductory levels. To add fuel to the fire, Tata deleted quite some features which brought down the premiumness of the Hexa. Then we had the lack of single tone color options.

We would have never bought the Hexa at current pricing let alone BS6 pricing. The mouth watering discounts pushed us to seal the deal. The Hexa's pricing has now been increased by 45k. That means 1.8 Lac hike for the XT in less than 3 years with features deleted. I guess December 2019 was the best time to get one.
TROOPER is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 11:37   #5517
BHPian

Those who have bought the Hexa in December have hit the bull’s eye. With mouthwatering discount around 2 lacs, it was the perfect time to buy Hexa. There might be numerous arguments over Hexa’s lack of premium quotient, price hike, feature deletion, ergonomics issues, quality issues, after sales service issues. All these concerns are debatable and changes from person to person. In my case I could have easily purchased Kia Seltos at the price I purchased Hexa. Hexa offered me all what I wanted. I am not the person who will lured by electronic gizmos which are apparently not being used in daily driving.
sandeepsc is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 12:02   #5518
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
JHow many will use it for the full 15 years ?
I am not taking the Hexa off my list of used cars
I have the same idea on my mind as well. But used Hexas are ultra-rare here in Chennai. In a good month, India has typically only seen 400 Hexas sold - nationwide. So it is something that may or may not happen for me down the line here in Chennai; and hope is a dangerous thing, so I'm going to imagine that it won't happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
The Hexa's pricing has now been increased by 45k. That means 1.8 Lac hike for the XT in less than 3 years with features deleted. I guess December 2019 was the best time to get one.
Even though I originally sounded as if I were contemplating getting a new Hexa, the 2 Million Rupee pricing for the Hexa (and so many other new cars these days) really got my goat back in Feb 2018 when I ended up buying my TUV 300. These prices never cease to shock me as I've always held the Safari and its erstwhile 10 lakh on-road pricing (back in ~2008) as a gold-standard. Call me stuck up and outdated, but plonking anything more than 10 lakhs on a car is hard to do even though I could easily spend way more on one.

Needless to say, Toyotas remain off the menu for me with their insane prices, getting even more insane with time.

So as Condor suggested, I'll be waiting passively - without ever getting my hopes up.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 13:21   #5519
BHPian

Quote:
But used Hexas are ultra-rare here in Chennai. In a good month, India has typically only seen 400 Hexas sold.
Hi Locusjag, if you keep browsing some good ones do pop-up even in chennai. Like this one. XT under 20k Kms for 13 lakhs. https://www.olx.in/item/tata-hexa-xt...iid-1549509314

Also average 400 happened only in 2019. First two years were good. Average 1125 in 2017 and 813 in 2018. Only in 2019 they goofed up like Indian parents trying to please the younger kid by ignoring the older kid 😁 and ended up with 241 per month.

Dev
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-screenshot_20200109130947028_com.android.chrome.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-screenshot_20200109131248233_com.mobilefirst.autogarage.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-screenshot_20200109131244040_com.mobilefirst.autogarage.jpg  

irdevanand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 13:35   #5520
BHPian

When the Hexa comes with the BS VI engine by Sep-Oct 2020, is there a plan to include ESP and other safety features in the Automatic version?

I am not sure if these are really useful in our conditions

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks