Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2019, 20:48   #5461
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

TD Tata Hexa XT today. The car provided was a 2017 model with 19in wheels. I have few queries. Owners, kindly advice.

1. Steering felt heavy. But the SA informed, the newer models with 17in wheels are not this heavy. Also, for the newer ones, Tata has improved clutch response and suspension. Is this true?

2. I'm 6.1. Seats were comfy. However, I did miss the dead pedal. Is this the same for Tata Harrier as well? Don't understand why it isn't provided.

3. SA is providing 1.6L as a discount. He says its the best they can give. Is there anything else should I ask? Accessories maybe?

4. Anything particular that I should look out during PDI? (Apart from our usual Team-BHP PDI list)

5. I really miss the auto-dimming IRVM. Any aftermarket ones for this?

Thanks and Happy 2020!!
NitinDev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 23:57   #5462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitinDev View Post
1. Steering felt heavy. But the SA informed, the newer models with 17in wheels are not this heavy. Also, for the newer ones, Tata has improved clutch response and suspension. Is this true?

2. I'm 6.1. Seats were comfy. However, I did miss the dead pedal. Is this the same for Tata Harrier as well? Don't understand why it isn't provided.

3. SA is providing 1.6L as a discount. He says its the best they can give. Is there anything else should I ask? Accessories maybe?

4. Anything particular that I should look out during PDI? (Apart from our usual Team-BHP PDI list)

5. I really miss the auto-dimming IRVM. Any aftermarket ones for this?

Thanks and Happy 2020!!
1. I felt the same at low speeds and while parking, but didn't find it to be a deal breaker. Our SA told the same about the newer ones being lighter while discussing about the 17" wheels.

2. Yep, dead pedal is sorely missed. Harrier gets one though.

3. There's a 1.5 L discount on models before July-August. Dealers don't seem to be disclosing that. So 1.6 L discount is nothing. Ask him the production date of the car you would be allotted (get the month of manufacture in writing while booking) and bargain accordingly. Ask for exchange bonus, corporate discount etc.

4. This one is exhaustive
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-kulkarni.html (New Car PreDelivery Inspection List Part I, II, III and IV (by Kishor kulkarni))

Certain fit and finish issues could be there. Ask your dealer on the spot if they could be fixed. I've been stalking a lot of Hexas on social media, and Tata seems to have been lazy. They haven't bothered to fix those fit, finish and alignment issues that I observed in the older cars. Don't forget to check seat sliding mechanisms and door handles too. Could be jammy because of zero usage over 5-6 months.

5. Tata doesn't fail to disappoint its customers

Here's Bhpian Mclaren Roxx's installation of auto dimming IRVM

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ml#post4418453 (Cochin to Wagah in a Tata Hexa 4x4: An Epic 8,500 km road-trip)

Last edited by TROOPER : 27th December 2019 at 23:59.
TROOPER is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th December 2019, 16:20   #5463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitinDev View Post
TD Tata Hexa XT today. The car provided was a 2017 model with 19in wheels. I have few queries. Owners, kindly advice.
1. I drive both the Jetta diesel and the Hexa daily in same traffic conditions. So I can clearly say that though the steering of the Jetta is comparatively lighter, the real difference is not something that bothers me.

Regarding the 17 inch wheels being able to give a lighter steering feel, I am not so sure about that because since the contact patch is the same, the steering effort required should also be the same. If the overall weight of the 17 inch tyres is significantly lower than 19 inchers then only you will get a lighter steering feel.

Also 19 inch wheels with lower aspect ratio will definitely give you a more connected feel at highway speeds.

2. This has been an age old problem with all Tata SUVs right upto the Harrier. Neither the Safari nor the Aria/Hexa had the dead pedal. I mean if you are making such wonderful highway cruisers, you should not make such silly omissions.

3. Ask your SA to give you the VIN. AFAIK you will be getting one from the June/July lot which has a factory discount of 1.5 lakh rupees. You can easily add another 50k from the dealer side to this. Squeeze him more. Fellow bhpians TROOPER and Sandeep have done the same.

4. Tbhp PDI check list is exhaustive enough. You won't need anything else.

Do post updates on your purchase. All the best. If you need any more help you can PM me.
ram87pune is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th December 2019, 16:40   #5464
BHPian

Completed two rounds of PDIs yesterday and today. Car was in perfect working condition with single crank engine start. I deliberately check alignment of instrument cluster because trooper has found some fault during his PDI, it was perfectly aligned. No nitpicking issues as such observed. But surely cost cutting appears in Hexa. The engine cover has been removed and small portion of the engine is only covered now.

The 2 years extended warranty rates have revised to 22k from previously 14k. AMC charges remained unchanged till now. I have opted for extended warranty and will decide for AMC in next three months depending upon no. of kms I drive. First free service is at very short duration of 3 months or 5k kms whichever is earlier.

Small glimpse of my Hexa.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-20191227_152909.jpg

Last edited by sandeepsc : 28th December 2019 at 16:57. Reason: Grammar correction
sandeepsc is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th December 2019, 19:01   #5465
BHPian

Thank you, folks! I did visit another showroom today since I wanted a white colour Hexa. Interesting, this showroom was more friendly and they quoted 20.75 for white XTA 7S. SA confirmed it would be either Sept or Oct batch.

Now the biggest dilemma: Manual or Auto? I haven't TD the auto yet. SA would bring one tomorrow for TD.

Manual and auto owners, kindly advice.

Thanks!
Old 28th December 2019, 19:16   #5466

Hi BHPians,

This is my first post on Team-BHP. Glad to be a part of this amazing forum.
Thank you mods for approving my membership

I am glad to share with you all that I have booked Hexa XM+ on Christmas eve. Expecting delivery in Jan 1st week.

Dealership experience has been good so far at Bafna motors. I have taken 2 extended long test drives before putting money on the table.

My family loved the ride and features on offer. My current workhorse is Alto 800 so obviously this is a huge leap for everyone in the family. We are keeping the Alto as well. Not a glitch in 5 year long ownership so far.

Though my first pick was XM or may be XMA with some stretched budget, but my family loved the feature list on XM+ in budget of XMA so XM+ it is.

Also it didn't help that there is limited stock available in plant so as a customer you don't have much choice on color-variant combination anyway.
Mine is Urban Bronze. Looks good in pics though my first preference would have been Arizona Blue or Pearl White. If any UB owner can share their views and some pictures it would be great.

Discounts offered is decent going by other member's experiences here. I got 1.25 lacs cash discount and option to choose insurance on my own. Only Standard rubber mats will be provided as free accessory.
I guess there was a bit more room for negotiation but in the interest of time and looking at limited stock of year end, I didn't push my luck too far.

I need some guidance on following -

1. My SA told me that he would make sure that invoice gets generated before 30th Dec and it would help me from any probable price increase Tata might do for Hexa. Is that true ? I hope I don't have to shell out more money than agreed amount in Jan while taking delivery.

2. Once I get my hands on the beast, I plan to go for few basic accessories
  • Leatherette Seat Covers (of course, everyone in family loved the one on offer in test vehicle XT)
  • 3D/5D/7D mats, if standard ones don't feel good enough
  • Side Steps
  • Dashcam (desirable)
  • Subwoofer (How is the sound system in lower variants compared to XT ? Is it worth it to spend extra for a good subwoofer from aftermarket ? And would it void warranty ?)

Please suggest few accessories shops in Pune and estimates for above accessories.

3. I have always read on Team-BHP that extended warranty should be opted. Shall I opt for it at the time of purchase itself ? Or can I opt it at a later stage also within first 3 years ?

Last edited by destrukt : 28th December 2019 at 19:26.
destrukt is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th December 2019, 19:55   #5467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by destrukt View Post
1. My SA told me that he would make sure that invoice gets generated before 30th Dec and it would help me from any probable price increase Tata might do for Hexa. Is that true ? I hope I don't have to shell out more money than agreed amount in Jan while taking delivery.
2. Once I get my hands on the beast, I plan to go for few basic accessories
  • Leatherette Seat Covers (of course, everyone in family loved the one on offer in test vehicle XT)
  • 3D/5D/7D mats, if standard ones don't feel good enough
  • Side Steps
  • Dashcam (desirable)
  • Subwoofer (How is the sound system in lower variants compared to XT ? Is it worth it to spend extra for a good subwoofer from aftermarket ? And would it void warranty ?)
Please suggest few accessories shops in Pune and estimates for above accessories.
3. I have always read on Team-BHP that extended warranty should be opted. Shall I opt for it at the time of purchase itself ? Or can I opt it at a later stage also within first 3 years ?
Welcome to the Team-BHP and Hexa club!

I do feel there's room to negotiate in your deal, but if you're satisfied then go ahead. We can't be sure how much the price could rise come January.

1. Do note your SA shouldn't be making an invoice till you have seen the car and done PDI. Now you need to decide if the risk of invoicing without PDI is worth to be safe from the impending price rise. If you're concerned about resale, then no point in worrying, cause in resale, the manufacturing date is considered. The only problem with early invoicing is that all warranties are in effect from invoice date.

2. Go for the 3M nomad or noodle type mats. They don't look spectacular, but are the real utilitarian type of mats.

3. Always opt for extended warranty. Also premium for the same increases as your car ages. Plus I feel if the prices go up in January, so will extended warranty premiums.
https://service.tatamotors.com/conte...ded-warranty-0

Last edited by TROOPER : 28th December 2019 at 19:56.
TROOPER is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2019, 20:44   #5468
BHPian

The invoice for my down payment was generated on 17th December and SA said all invoices for remaining payments will have same date. Is it mean that my warranty will start from 17th December though my remaining payments will be credited to dealer on Monday 30th December. Is it true?
Old 28th December 2019, 21:10   #5469

Thanks TROOPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
I do feel there's room to negotiate in your deal, but if you're satisfied then go ahead. We can't be sure how much the price could rise come January.
I have received VIN number from my SA. It shows that the allotted vehicle is Dec 2019 make. May be that's why the discount is not huge.

I have been searching for insurance online and I am getting quotes of about 43k from likes of TATA AIG, Royal Sundaram. This leaves me with another 58k in savings because dealer quote is 1.02 lacs! So I am calculating total discount as 1.25 + 0.58 = 1.83 lacs
destrukt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2019, 21:46   #5470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsc View Post
The invoice for my down payment was generated on 17th December and SA said all invoices for remaining payments will have same date. Is it mean that my warranty will start from 17th December though my remaining payments will be credited to dealer on Monday 30th December. Is it true?
Yes. We did PDI on 20th Dec and they made invoice on the same day. So warranty will start on invoice date.

Wow, it's good to have a freshly baked Hexa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by destrukt View Post
I have received VIN number from my SA. It shows that the allotted vehicle is Dec 2019 make. May be that's why the discount is not huge.
I have been searching for insurance online and I am getting quotes of about 43k from likes of TATA AIG, Royal Sundaram. This leaves me with another 58k in savings because dealer quote is 1.02 lacs! So I am calculating total discount as 1.25 + 0.58 = 1.83 lacs
Umm, there's a catch in that! Check out the IDV. Even I saw quotes as low as 35k online for my XT 4x2. In return they had knocked off over a lac rupees in IDV. So we negotiated with the dealer, and got insurance for 55k with standard 95% IDV. Will submit NCB certificate and knock some more off that.

The Hexa XT 4x2 is 17,66,000 ex-showroom. Now look at the IDV online

Tata Hexa : Official Review-insurance.png

Last edited by TROOPER : 28th December 2019 at 21:52.
TROOPER is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th December 2019, 23:14   #5471

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Umm, there's a catch in that! Check out the IDV.
Yes, I had searched the quotes after setting the IDV to 95% of ex-showroom price.
What I missed though was our sweet GST of 18%

So the quote including taxes is now ~48k.
Old 29th December 2019, 07:28   #5472

Quote:
Originally Posted by busydrive View Post
At Bangalore, I was told only automatics available at plant were XMAs and white color.
@ram87pune would you be able to validate this. They are offering a good discount but I was not keen with the white color.
I own a Sky Grey XTA. And everytime I see a white one passing by, I envy. They look elegant. My advise, go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsc View Post
Completed two rounds of PDIs yesterday and today. Car was in perfect working condition with single crank engine start.
Congratulations. Happy motoring!

Hi all, my XTA has a lot of brake play. Compared to the Verna that I use for my daily ride to work, brakes of Hexa has to be almost floored. Have done multiple visits to dealers who have bled the brake lines but the issue persists. Is this common with Hexa?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th December 2019 at 07:42. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button (QUOTE+) while quoting and replying to multiple posts. Thanks.
Old 29th December 2019, 18:10   #5473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick' View Post
Hi all, my XTA has a lot of brake play. Compared to the Verna that I use for my daily ride to work, brakes of Hexa has to be almost floored. Have done multiple visits to dealers who have bled the brake lines but the issue persists. Is this common with Hexa?
My daily ride is also verna and I took TD of the XTA only. I didn't find any play with brakes and they were sharp enough to have early bite. May be I didn't give much attention towards brakes as TD Hexa had good braking power and not experienced the brakes being fully floored. As compared to my verna, Hexa's brakes are any time better.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th December 2019 at 18:47. Reason: Fixed typo.
sandeepsc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 21:48   #5474
BHPian

Recently i took my friends Hexa XTA for a outstation trip where i encountered all kinds of driving conditions like heavy bumper to bumper traffic, open 6 lane highways, broken off shoot roads, and little bit of dirt road in village towards a farm house. Overall the vehicle left me mighty impressed with its abilities, It felt at home in all of those situations while delivering experience of a Land Rover instead of a humble Tata. I have also test driven Endeavour 3.2. Fortuner, Mux, Tiguan in this month as a new purchase of a SUV having ability to do mild off roading is on cards. Since, i am a kind of person who doesnt care about brand value at all and instead i judge the products according to its abilities and merits, i am seriously tempted to buy this car over the other options that i test drove not just because of the lower cost but also because it is better at things where it matters to me. But, here comes the bummer. Tata has totally spoiled the looks of the car (in my opinion) with those hideous 17" dark coloured wheels instead of older 19" wheels, dual tone paint scheme, omission of roof rails, etc. and older looks are not even on the options. If i have to get those changes reversed at my own cost, it will cost me upwards of 1.5 lakh rupees and i dont find this proposition tempting at all.

So, at the risk of making this post sound like a rant, i would like to express my frustration at Tata's ability to spoil a perfect product for no reason. They could have added Panoramic Sunroof, may be AWD AT, LED headlamps in a new top end variant to Hexa to make it more desirable car over competition but they chose to shoot their own foot for no reason, spoiling the looks of the product.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 29th December 2019 at 21:49.
46TheDoctor is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 22:33   #5475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
So, at the risk of making this post sound like a rant, i would like to express my frustration at Tata's ability to spoil a perfect product for no reason. They could have added Panoramic Sunroof, may be AWD AT, LED headlamps in a new top end variant to Hexa to make it more desirable car over competition but they chose to shoot their own foot for no reason, spoiling the looks of the product.
Welcome to the Distressed Tata fanboy club!

You'll find one such rant on each page (many from myself) all the way back starting March 2019. That's when Tata felt shooting on the foot ain't enough, lets just swing an axe at the knees. "Hey! We botched the Harrier, now let's screw up the Hexa too!" Some rants go all the way back to page 2 for the XTA thanks to lesser safety tech.

Petty feature deletions, QC goof ups, feature goof ups, color goof ups. Name it and Tata has done it.

IMHO, if you seriously like this product, then I feel you could overlook the paint color and alloys. Those are the only 2 let downs. And Hexa looks pretty great in white/silver dual tone. The 17" alloys are no competition for the 19" ones, but don't look cheap in person. The pros definitely outweigh the cons.

Last edited by TROOPER : 29th December 2019 at 22:35.
TROOPER is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks