Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2018, 11:49   #541
BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Nice coming from a person who has a Endy as his profile picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
This Video must have been lifted from here which is the channel of Mod- Anshuman-
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The video is from my Youtube channel, and I am the spotter here too. So let me post my comments.
But I can't believe someone on team-bhp taking such click bait articles seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I am sure any of us can post a video which shows the Fortuner in a better light than Endeavor, at least as far as OTR's go, but that is just not done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
I am at loss what exactly were you thinking while posting.

Strange reaction from everyone.

Few points from my side:

1. @4x4addict - What it has to do with my profile picture. Am I not supposed to post anything apart from Ford or Endeavour on this Forum.

2. Did I add any spices in this post, not even a single word from my side, quoted as I saw in my google feed from Cartoq. How everyone concluded that I am trying to defame Fortuner.

3. @.anshuman - Being an active off-road enthusiast and since you were involved in that excursion you might know this is a click bait article. I have not participated in any such activity and never used my car for any off-road purpose. Thanks for the clarification around the incident.

4. @Sheel - True but as I said I didn't do any comparison between Fortuner or Endeavour.

5. @Ace F355 - I was just thinking how it happened and why it happened and that has been cleared by .anshuman above.

BTW I posted this in Ford Endeavour thread and Mod Aditya moved this to Toyota Fotuner thread. Posting any video or post doesn't mean I am for or against a product unless I mention it specifically. My only intention was to get more information by engaging every one including experts on our forum to provide their inputs on this topic. If you see it other way I actually helped in clearing doubts around the Fortuner's capabilities post Cartoq's article.

Last edited by roby_dk : 13th December 2018 at 12:04.
roby_dk is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 12:04   #542
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post

My only intention was to get more information by engaging every one including experts on our forum to provide their inputs on this topic. If you see it another way I actually helped in clearing doubts around the Fortuner's capabilities post Cartoq's article.
I am with you, perhaps most of us thought you have just posted as a sort of teaser Hope Cartoq guys do some better work in future.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 12:16   #543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I am with you, perhaps most of us thought you have just posted as a sort of teaser Hope Cartoq guys do some better work in future.
Thanks. I usually post articles like this but this is the first time I have got such reaction. I like the discussion and different opinions from all members on a topic. I think I should start adding a disclaimer at the end.

Similar threads from me:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4491678 (Cops get ‘light meter’ to fine car owners with modified headlamps)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post4500657 (The "Nillu-Nillu" (Stop-Stop) Challenge: Fools are jumping in front of vehicles)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post4444478 (Akshay Kumar as traffic policeman in new Road Safety ads)

Last edited by roby_dk : 13th December 2018 at 12:17.
Old 14th December 2018, 07:29   #544
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
These Cartoq guys have a habit of embedding my videos on their site with their stupid analysis. I can assure you that 100% of the times they dont have a clue whats going on, its a clickbait masala article they are aiming to post, which they usually succeed in. But I can't believe someone on team-bhp taking such click bait articles seriously.

Absolutely man, they have the most horrendous click bait articles. I completely ignore that website and find them totally desperate for clicks. I don't think they will survive too long. But then there are always the gullible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post

Few points from my side:

1. @4x4addict - What it has to do with my profile picture. Am I not supposed to post anything apart from Ford or Endeavour on this Forum.

2. Did I add any spices in this post, not even a single word from my side, quoted as I saw in my google feed from Cartoq. How everyone concluded that I am trying to defame Fortuner.

Actually if you had done some basic analysis of that post, it wouldn't even have been worth posting it here. Basically, cartoq has a target audience and I think it works for them. My bit of advice, ignore articles on that website. They have absolutely no knowlege. To me they are the equivalent of an automotive tabloid.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 14th December 2018 at 07:32.
4x4addict is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 21:07   #545
BHPian

Help needed with a very strange issue that my friend is facing with his brand new Fortuner AT 4X2 bought in August 2018 and which has done only 4k odd KMs.

He was casually checking the engine bay and saw that the fan belt was worn a bit as seen in the images.
Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-img20190102wa0006.jpg
He took it up to the Toyota ASS and as usual they tried to put the blame on him giving a very lame reason, that it has happened due to a 'stone' getting up there somehow. They denied to change it under warranty and asked for ₹4k for fan belt replacement. It took a lot of effort to convince them that the fan belt cannot get damaged like that and since it looks like a manufacturing defect the fan belt must be replaced under warranty.

Now, they are asking to drop off the car at the service center where they will take off the front bumper, radiator and what not and will make a video of the fan belt when it's running and send it to HQ for analysis.

My friend doesn't want them to play and fiddle with his brand new car and is ready to pay them ₹4k for fan belt replacement.

My advice is to my friend is to let ASS do their analysis, to rule out the possibility of any other issues which might be responsible for the fan belt damage. But I too feel his concern about his brand new car and the whole disassembling and reassembling of a lot of parts.

Though neither me nor my friend nor the ASS has any clue as to what could be the probable cause of damage. I could only think of following reasons:
1. Defective fan belt.
2. Fan belt was misaligned or wasn't properly installed and constant rubbing against nearby metal parts led to this damage.
3. Misaligned pulley?

Any advice or suggestions on the course of action, the cause of damage are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-img20190102wa0005.jpg  

Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-img20190102wa0008.jpg  

Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-img20190102wa0007.jpg  

Last edited by wrongturn : 2nd January 2019 at 21:11.
wrongturn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 23:36   #546
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
Any advice or suggestions on the course of action, the cause of damage are appreciated.
The fan belt is clearly frayed, against something it is rubbing on, or one or more of the pulleys it is running on, is misaligned.

The right course of action would be to let the ASC do what they want to, under your watchful eyes and resolve it.

Let them put a new belt under warranty, post which, you observe its performance.
n.devdath is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 10:14   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Let them put a new belt under warranty, post which, you observe its performance.
Thank you, it looks like the most logical solution definitely. But, the whole disassembling part is the main concern, we had a discussion today morning about getting the belt changed to a new one, pay them ₹4k and then look out for any signs of wear. Since this issue has cropped up within 4 months and 4k KMs in a brand new 40L (too much 4s there, coincidence? ) spending another ₹4k more just for the piece of mind isn't that bad an option. It could be a case of just a defective fan belt. If the replacement belt suffers the same fate then it would be absolutely certain that there is a bigger fault at play here.
wrongturn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 10:18   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, it looks like the most logical solution definitely. But, the whole disassembling part is the main concern, we had a discussion today morning about getting the belt changed to a new one, pay them ₹4k and then look out for any signs of wear. Since this issue has cropped up within 4 months and 4k KMs in a brand new 40L (too much 4s there, coincidence? ) spending another ₹4k more just for the piece of mind isn't that bad an option. It could be a case of just a defective fan belt. If the replacement belt suffers the same fate then it would be absolutely certain that there is a bigger fault at play here.
It would be wise not to pay them for the new belt as your vehicle is brand new. Let them do the analysis and get the report.

What are not the chances if the new belt also doesn't suffer the same fate ? If then still it does, does the TASS gurantee the return of the money spent on new belt ?
roadjourno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:09   #549
BANNED

Quote:
But, the whole disassembling part is the main concern, we had a discussion today morning about getting the belt changed to a new one, pay them ₹4k and then look out for any signs of wear.
They intend to remove the grill, radiator and a few other parts only to be able to make a video, and seeing the number of banged up Fortuners at dealerships here, I m sure they know how to remove these parts in a jiffy.

The reason I would not replace a belt without diagnosis isnt the expense, it is the feeling of not having a proper RCA.

What if the replaced belt shears completely and leaves you stranded somewhere at an odd hour?
n.devdath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:15   #550
BHPian

Quote:

The reason I would not replace a belt without diagnosis isnt the expense, it is the feeling of not having a proper RCA.

What if the replaced belt shears completely and leaves you stranded somewhere at an odd hour?
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadjourno View Post
It would be wise not to pay them for the new belt as your vehicle is brand new. Let them do the analysis and get the report.
Thanks a lot for valuable inputs, really appreciate it.
I would let them go through with their analysis
Old 3rd January 2019, 14:05   #551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for valuable inputs, really appreciate it.
I would let them go through with their analysis
Do not let them bully you into anything, a new car problem is their issue. Take a tough stance, in the meanwhile keep everything documented, will come in handy if required later.

Let us know the progress.
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 22:20   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post

Let us know the progress.
Surprisingly Toyota ASS decided to replace the belt without toying around with the car too much. We told them to do whatever they wanted to do which was right according to them, we were very firm and open about documenting everything and blaming them for anything and everything that might go wrong.

After replacing the belt they checked everything and every part that is related with the running and functioning of the belt thoroughly without opening any components, kept the car running for a while and took it for a test run, checked everything again until they were certain that everything was in correct working order.

Maybe the were bluffing about the whole disassembling of front components to make it a paid job or maybe they weren't, I'll never know. We kept our poker face on and allowed them to do what they wanted and in the end we are happy with what they did. Thank you Toyota, that was very reassuring.

But, what damaged the original belt? That question remains unanswered.

Thank you n.devdath, roadjourno, getsurya and team-bhp for all the help.

Here are some pictures of the old and new belts:

Worn out belt
Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-img20190103wa0001.jpg

New belt
Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-img20190103wa0014__01.jpg
Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-img20190103wa0015__01.jpg

New belt installed
Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-img20190103wa0006.jpg

Last edited by wrongturn : 3rd January 2019 at 22:23.
wrongturn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 22:55   #553
BANNED

Quote:
But, what damaged the original belt? That question remains unanswered.
Exactly
Quote:
Thank you Toyota, that was very reassuring.
So I hope this is sarcasm.

So much for the famed Toyota A.S.S.
n.devdath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 23:43   #554
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly

So I hope this is sarcasm.

So much for the famed Toyota A.S.S.
No, I'm sorry it wasn't sarcastic. I know that an incomplete or incompetent diagnosis of this problem might lead to significant issues related to the reliability of the car. But, since it was their decision to replace the belt under warranty and inspect for any irregularities without disassembling a lot of front components, I can't complain. That's what we wanted too, only they didn't know it. And it wasn't like they replaced the belt and checked everything for like 15 minutes and gave it a OK. They took nearly 3 hours to finish the inspection, and I am happy with how they did it. They wanted to disassemble the front part to make a video, they skipped that part I assume.

Now, there are 3 scenarios that I had in mind with respect to this issue:

1. Let them open the front parts and components of a brand new car, they would have done all sorts of experiments in the name a analysis and then would make a video of the belt in action to send it to HQ for further analysis. We would have to live with a doubt that what if any of those components fail due to improper or careless re-installation.

2. Paid for the belt. This could have led to 2 outcomes. 1. It implies that we accept that we are responsible for the damage and therefore paid for the replacement and henceforth in future if the belt is damaged or any other related parts or components malfunctioned, the blame would be on us. 2. If the belt or related components would have been damaged, Toyota ASS would accept their fault and would respect the terms of warranty with giving us a refund for the first replacement, and fixing everything.

3. Toyota ASS replaces only the belt under warranty and inspect everything with due diligence without opening the front parts and components. And, if the belt would worn out again in near future, they could do their indepth analysis and R&D on our car. And, we would be back to scenario 1.

From a personal prospective I am fine with dealing with the evils of scenario 3 and would assume it was just a case of a defective belt and even if it was a misaligned pulley they would have fixed that during inspection. After all they too must have taken something into consideration that they didn't go in for the whole disassembling thing.

Living with the evils of scenario 1 & 2 everyday would have been a bitter task. I'm not in search for an answer that would cost me my inner peace and love for the car. If it fails again, the car is still in warranty period and the blame would still be on them.

Last edited by wrongturn : 3rd January 2019 at 23:45.
wrongturn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 15:54   #555
Senior - BHPian

Hi Wrongturn- good to know that the cars issue is resolved. Keep an eye on the belt at regular intervals.

Happy Motoring!!
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks