Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2017, 20:09   #46
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Tucson : Official Review

Thanks for the in-depth review. The Hyundai cars have a come a long way in the looks department, though the rear could have been a litlle more different from i20/Creta. The fit and finish is always top notch in Hyundais and they have a nack of disrupting the segment as far as features are concerned.

Having said that they have again charged a premium which has now become a bad habbit. The AWD at least on the top variant would have been more than welcomed. But it doesnt have many direct competitors which might work in its favour.

The CRV is a great SUV and I guess one of the most enjoyable in its segment as far as ride and handling is concerned but then it doesnt have a diesel heart that is a big deterrent.

The Yeti is again FTD but looses a bit on road presence and the styling is also a little bland. Nevertheless, its a great compact SUV with great German build quality, something I always wished to buy someday. I still remember the S16, E2 of Top Gear where Jeremy Clarkson performed an unusual Tattoo on the track test on Yeti and Range Rover, one after another by asking a tattoo maker to make a tattoo on another person's shoulder while the cars were being driven on a not so smooth surface. The Yeti came out as the winner

This segment is going to feel some heat though in the coming months when the Jeep Compass gets launched in the festive season. It has the pure SUV traits and looks great as well. The pricing and the feature set would be the key

Last edited by Waspune : 11th April 2017 at 20:11.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 20:52   #47
BHPian

The Jeep Compass gets unveiled tomorrow and the Compass would be a direct head-on competitor to the Tucson. Hold your breath for an exciting clash ahead. I'm going to put my money on whoever gives me the best, in terms of features, in terms of ride quality and excitement, in terms of value for money. May the best one win !
Old 12th April 2017, 03:01   #48
BHPian

Amazing Detailed review. Hats off!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
It makes our fully loaded 2016 20 lakh Octavia TSi Style+ look really really VFM by comparison :-)
I also need to decide between the Octavia and Tuscon for my next car from i20 and always have this slight fear of Skoda cars.
Tuscon, even though costlier, gives that peace of mind over a car from Skoda. Still not able to make up my mind :(
Old 12th April 2017, 20:40   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfighter View Post
The Jeep Compass gets unveiled tomorrow and the Compass would be a direct head-on competitor to the Tucson. Hold your breath for an exciting clash ahead. I'm going to put my money on whoever gives me the best, in terms of features, in terms of ride quality and excitement, in terms of value for money. May the best one win !
The Compass will take time to settle. Though it has the necessary pull factor to excite the early adoptors, but the cynical majority will stay away citing service reach, spares affordability, resale value,. When in doubt, the Tucson would be a safe choice! All the best.
Old 14th April 2017, 09:39   #50
BHPian

Thanks for the great review, rated 5 stars

I am due for new car in Jan 2018. (According to company policy). I was looking for an automatic SUV with all the bells n whistles around ex show room price of 30 lakhs. I don't necessarily need a 7/8 seater hence Tuscon was in the top of my list.(hoping Tuscon will launch AWD by then). But with all the feedback here and the interior quality, I feel that its not VFM anymore.

Other top contender is Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium. I was eagerly waiting for Jeep compass unveil yesterday but there is no AT option in Diesel. I hope they will introduce AT late this year.

I guess Volkswagen Tiguan and Skoda Kodiaq are also due for launch this year. But since Kodiaq is based on Superb platform, it could be way more than 30 lakhs and also reliability of Skoda is a major concern.

Could the experts here guide me what else could fit? Does venturing into BMW (X1- which does not even have a reverse camera)/Audi(Q3) territory make sense? I need to sell the car after 44 months (again according to company policy) and I need have a decent (if not great) re-sale price. How is the re-sale of X1/Q3 etc.?

Last edited by Acelerar : 14th April 2017 at 09:42.
Old 14th April 2017, 11:00   #51
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Tucson : Official Review

Nice review. Rated superb.

Checked out the Tucson yesterday. They had only the base manual trim on display. The external look, feel and size is spot on.

The interiors felt very bland and just not what should have been in a 30 lakh SUV. Assuming that the interior would have a leather trim in the top end model it wouldn't have made much of a difference. The armrest is also not adjustable and very small.

The biggest deal breaker for me is the front passenger seat not being height adjustable. I was told by the sales guy that even the top speck doesn't have height adjustments on the front passenger seat. The seat by itself is set very low and me being a almost 6 feet tall couldn't see out of the front windscreen. Wonder how people at 5 or 5.6 feel on this seat. My wife is 5 feet nothing and she will be able to see only the dash.

Did anyone else feel this way or is it only me ?

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 14th April 2017 at 11:11.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2017, 20:34   #52
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Checked out the Tucson yesterday. They had only the base manual trim on display.
Did you click any pics? If yes, can you upload them? It will give us a fair idea of how the base variant looks like.
Old 15th April 2017, 07:33   #53
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Tucson : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Did you click any pics? If yes, can you upload them? It will give us a fair idea of how the base variant looks like.

Sorry, did take any pictures. The sales guy just had got my gut and left me frustrated. When asked as to why the passenger seat was set so low , he said it was to give space for the airbag to deploy. Lol. He just kept defending his statement till I left.

If anyone interested , Trident Hyundai, Hosur Road Bangalore has a 2016 GLS AT diesel,silver and are offering 1.5 lakhs off on ex-showroom.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 15th April 2017 at 07:39.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2017, 07:59   #54
Senior - BHPian

I think the Compass being more off road and 4X4 oriented won't be that easy to live with as a mainstream monocoque SUV like Tucson which will be more car like and easier to live with for a 'normal' car buyer. After all how many SUV owners do 'mud plugging' regularly? Mostly the SUV owners rely on their 4X4 capability to make way through slippery and tricky terrain and to their farm houses at best.
Old 15th April 2017, 09:25   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I think the Compass being more off road and 4X4 oriented won't be that easy to live with as a mainstream monocoque SUV like Tucson which will be more car like and easier to live with for a 'normal' car buyer. After all how many SUV owners do 'mud plugging' regularly? Mostly the SUV owners rely on their 4X4 capability to make way through slippery and tricky terrain and to their farm houses at best.

That's the whole point here. Then why buy an SUV like Tucson for 33 lakhs and not buy a car. I guess it's the consumer perception that an SUV tackles our not so good roads better than a sedan ie better ground clearance. For that matter my Fiat Punto at 195 mm has a higher ground clearance than the Jeep Compass which is at 178 and the Tucson at around 165.

With the highways improving and 6 lanes roads sanctioned on almost on all NHs is it really worth the premium for a soft roader ? It's either a full fledged SUV like the Endevour or Compass or just pick a sedan or a soft roader which doesn't command a ridiculous premium.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 07:46   #56
BHPian

Exactly. Superb annihilates Tucson any day. And traction on this thread shows the lack of popularity of Tucson. Ridiculous pricing, short changing on features.

Quote:
That's the whole point here. Then why buy an SUV like Tucson for 33 lakhs and not buy a car. I guess it's the consumer perception that an SUV tackles our not so good roads better than a sedan ie better ground clearance. For that matter my Fiat Punto at 195 mm has a higher ground clearance than the Jeep Compass which is at 178 and the Tucson at around 165.

With the highways improving and 6 lanes roads sanctioned on almost on all NHs is it really worth the premium for a soft roader ? It's either a full fledged SUV like the Endevour or Compass or just pick a sedan or a soft roader which doesn't command a ridiculous premium.
Old 2nd May 2017, 09:07   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Followed a Tucson for quite some time in BLR traffic last week and liked the looks and size. It is just right for BLR and looks much more modern than the Creta and better proportioned than the unnecessarily wide stance and fat rear of the Santa Fe.

Wish the pricing and feature set was better. Size-wise it is ideal as a self-driven vehicle.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 19:50   #58
BHPian

Have been trying to figure out the weight of Tucson to understand the power/wt ratios but interestingly I was unable to find it in any of the reviews or even in the company brochure.

Any clue?
Old 23rd June 2017, 07:18   #59
BHPian

Quote:
...For that matter my Fiat Punto at 195 mm has a higher ground clearance than the Jeep Compass which is at 178 and the Tucson at around 165. ...
What exactly is the GC of the Tucson? I've seen various sites claim 165 mm, 172 mm, 195 mm, etc. Anyone knows why Tucson's website/brochure doesn't actually state it?

(The Hyundai brochures state the Santa Fe's GC, but not the Creta's or Tucson's. As regards driving experience, I know the Creta's GC is adequate for Blore roads, bcoz I've driven it on bad roads/bumps. But I'm sure about Tucson. Nevertheless, I'd like to see official figures stated on Hyundai brochure, as opposed to some auto blog/site)
Old 23rd June 2017, 08:21   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For that matter my Fiat Punto at 195 mm has a higher ground clearance than the Jeep Compass which is at 178 and the Tucson at around 165.
Please note that this is wrong, because the rules were changed by ARAI. Earlier GC was calculated with unladen weight.

Currently it is calculated with laden weight. Which is why you see even the big SUVs like even the new Fortuner having a ground clearance of 184mm only. A direct comparison between the old figures and new ones can't be made.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...en-weight.html

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 23rd June 2017 at 08:22.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks