Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2018, 21:39   #121
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay_ss View Post
I checked the car out and am way too impressed with it. With the offers going currently, it makes better value.
=========
We started with the Compass limited Plus, looked at Tiguan and are smitten by the Kodiaq. We checked the red color ( not listed on their website) and my whole family fell in love with the car.
Go for it , you simply cant go wrong with it at this price point. It looks and feels premium compared to its peers like GLA,Tiguan and Q3.

Only problem is if you want to accelaration that pushes you into your seat it is missing with the weight and puny 148 horses on tap. But it is no slouch either it can easily do 120-140 kmph on the highway and the USP is it is very comfortable especially in the rear.

For the push into the seat feeling i have my jetta for satisfying the urge for a fast car. Mahavir in Hyd is ready to give 2.5 lakhs discount and they are very responsive
hondatoyotafan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 23:46   #122
BANNED

Quote:
Does anyone have a view on Chennai Skoda dealers? How good or reliable or they toohave their own horror stories? I am very tempted to plonk 40 lacs to get her home ( a good 2.5 lacs discount) which I think is a really good deal for what the car offers.
The levels of luxury you've experienced in Kodiaq coupled with it's versatility are it's USPs.

If you've decided not to look at other options like the Hexa and the Endeavour, there is no reason not to go for it.

Chennai has TAFE Access and Gurudev Motors and while Gurudev is the bigger dealer, TAFE Access has a better reputation for customer satisfaction.

Also, if you can wait till the end of the year, discounts should increase.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 07:42   #123
Team-BHP Support

Given that the third rows is considered mostly unusable, if you consider this as a 5 seater or if a 5 seater is all you need, how does one justify this purchase over the Tiguan. Does it really give that much over a Tiguan highline?
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 09:32   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Given that the third rows is considered mostly unusable, if you consider this as a 5 seater or if a 5 seater is all you need, how does one justify this purchase over the Tiguan. Does it really give that much over a Tiguan highline?
I think it has way too many features and feels much better, quieter cabin and refined than the Tiguan. 9 airbags, better audio setup, rear window curtains, door protector, hands free rear boot opener, dual tone interiors, handsfree parking, some nice to have clever ideas etc. I do have a dog and we will find the last row useful on occassions. So its actually just right from seating perspective. 5 seater plus 2 seats on demand which we can use for our dog with his bed.

I am only wondering if it can get better discounts than what is quoted now ( 40 lacs on road chennai).
Old 16th October 2018, 11:59   #125
Senior - BHPian

I finally took a long-ish test drive of the Kodiaq. My impressions as under:
1) The seating is low, but you do feel sitting a bit higher up than a saloon car.
2) Power is adequate. Sport mode is all you need on Indian highways. It masks speed, and ride is not at all floaty like in other pseudo SUVs.
3) Comfort wise, I did not see any noticeable difference compared to my Octavia.
4) I drove the car on "no-road" conditions. It performed well, say for a few jarring jerks, could be because of the low profile soft road tyres.
5) My biggest grouse, hard plastics! I mean when I pulled on the door grab handle to close it, it was creaking, and was as hard as is in my Vento. Did not like the feeling at all, a flagship SUV doesn't deserve this.
6) 3rd row of seats is redundant for humans, not even kids, but pets will be happy though.
7) The features are the only thing that could pull customers for this car, and its doing that well. Expect new features like a virtual cockpit to be added sometime in 6-7 months from now which would make it even more tempting.

Apart from that, I would not buy this car as an upgrade. Others who want to upgrade from a mid-saloon to a full size SUV, this could be a good option, but seriously for the price, I cannot accept the hard creaking plastics especially on the part inside the cabin which is going to be touched and used by me the most. May be the Kodiaq RS will be brought in as a CBU and have better quality plastics.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 15:17   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As a new Tiguan owner who was considering the Kodiaq as well - the difference is similar to that of a top-end Octavia v/s Superb (with a similar price difference as well - around 6.5L post discounts is what I saw when we picked up the Tiguan).
Legroom: Kodiaq is better, but the Tiguan is still fairly comfortable and spacious enough!
Ingress / Egress: Tiguan was easier to get in and out of
Features: Vinay has identified most of the missing features. For me, the biggest drawbacks were lack of Canton sound system + additional airbags (though I am guessing this is for the 3rd row as well which makes this a moot point, please correct me).
Interiors: The Tiguan IMO felt and looked much nicer!
Performance: Performance is similar on both cars, but the Tiguan was a little more nimbler in the city to drive and the shorter hood & dimensions definitely help - heck, the Tiguan is shorter than the Corolla meaning I can park it in the same spot that is just a little too tight for the Corolla!
Ride: Kodiaq is marginally better over the same roads.

In a nutshell - the Kodiaq makes sense for a chauffeur driven family, but for self-driven & city usage, the Tiguan may just be a better buy. At least it was for us as it's either chauffeur driven with 2-3 people in it, or self driven!

Quote:
I am only wondering if it can get better discounts than what is quoted now ( 40 lacs on road chennai).
Mumbai dealer offering a 3L discount on select colours.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 09:26   #127
BHPian

Here is my take on my Kodiaq after driving ~11K over the past few months. I "upgraded" from my 3.0LT 4X4 AT Endy, that I drove for 7 years.

Pros:
Drives like a dream. Well behaved both on smooth highways and rough roads
Did not feel under-powered even in the normal mode.
Fabulous FE, I am getting insane numbers. Anywhere between 12-16 KMPL on the highway.
Great ICE, the sound is good and usability of the system is "Applesque".
Even with all the seats occupied, there is enough space in the boot for a few pieces of luggage.

Cons:
Sat Nav is pretty useless - could not find a popular beach or a 5-star hotel in Goa! And that voice & accent is bad. Just use google maps. Why are you wasting efforts on this Skoda!
Air-conditioning - I have not been impressed with the quality of cooling. And we are talking about Bangalore. A theory is that this is because of the sunroof.
The passengers in the third row are going to be sweating while the middle passenger in the second row will be freezing. Now I know why the Kodiaq comes with blankets
Lack of cooled seats is a bad omission.

The middle row is the most comfortable. Self driving owners like me feel jealous!

Overall have loved the experience so far.

Last edited by manson : 27th November 2018 at 17:54. Reason: Typo.
indusboy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st October 2018, 16:45   #128
Team-BHP Support

I hear a lot of chatter around the fact that the new DSGs (including Kodiaq) are no longer problematic and warranties and service centres are better. Any inputs in this aspect from anyone? I recognise it's early days for conclusive verdict on reliability of new launches but you could lean on new superb track record I guess as well.
Old 21st October 2018, 16:55   #129
BANNED

Quote:
I hear a lot of chatter around the fact that the new DSGs (including Kodiaq) are no longer problematic and warranties and service centres are better.
Way better, I have seen the improvements implemented by Skoda India and now the DSGs, across the nation, are a worry of the past. Dealers, RMs and the ZMs have been coached to ensure customer satisfaction.

This, coupled with newer/better engineering, has made the DSGs way more reliable and trouble-free.
n.devdath is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 12:53   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I hear a lot of chatter around the fact that the new DSGs (including Kodiaq) are no longer problematic and warranties and service centres are better. Any inputs in this aspect from anyone? I recognise it's early days for conclusive verdict on reliability of new launches but you could lean on new superb track record I guess as well.
Given the new gearbox is similar to the older 6 speed DSG on the diesel Skoda - I'd expect them to be fairly reliable in the long run. Care needs to be taken when stuck in traffic or long signals to put the car into neutral so the gearbox doesn't over heat.

However, I still hold my reservations on the 7 speed DQ200 gearbox found in the TSi line-up.

Skoda though should be quite prompt with their warranty services on the gearbox judging by their response on the DQ200 series so this wouldn't be a worry. No comments on the service center - they're fairly decent enough (Autobahn Sewri I am guessing?) but do take recommendations on the SA because they can make or break a deal. They aren't stellar but I'd send my car to them without much of a worry.
Compared to Toyota - they don't add on so many useless services to the bill, and if you do complain - Skoda seems to take them quite seriously off late.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:32   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Driven: Volvo XC40

In Mumbai western suburbs on work for the last few days and I am impressed to see the large number of Kodiaqs. Even saw the Corrida Red which I had never seen before. Just the correct size both in width and length and a worthy vehicle for the rubbish roads that I am experiencing.

Truly, Mumbaikars (north of Dadar) need a crossover/SUV. I cringed each time my hotel's Superb / Etios etc bottomed out!

Last edited by manson : 27th November 2018 at 17:56. Reason: Typo.
Old 5th November 2018, 10:08   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondatoyotafan View Post
Go for it , you simply cant go wrong with it at this price point. It looks and feels premium compared to its peers like GLA,Tiguan and Q3.

Only problem is if you want to accelaration that pushes you into your seat it is missing with the weight and puny 148 horses on tap. But it is no slouch either it can easily do 120-140 kmph on the highway and the USP is it is very comfortable especially in the rear.

For the push into the seat feeling i have my jetta for satisfying the urge for a fast car. Mahavir in Hyd is ready to give 2.5 lakhs discount and they are very responsive
Came back from the first highway trip of my Kodiaq to my hometown in Guntur.
The highway driveability is OK it is slow till the 80kmph mark but once it crosses it is a totally different beast. Skoda put all the power past the 2k rpm mark and the meat is in the 2k-4k rpm's.

One request to skoda is to dump the stupid Amundsen nav and save some costs. It did not even have popular hotels/landmarks in Vijayawada/Guntur.

Overtaking is easy with the torque on tap. Can haul good loads . Had a full load of 5 passengers and luggage. AC felt a little bit inadequate compared to my jetta but can be compensated by setting the climate control to really low temps.
hondatoyotafan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 16:46   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

2019 ŠKODA KODIAQ LAURIN & KLEMENT launched, gets host of additional features for Rs. 1.5 lakhs more over the Style variant.

Quote:
ŠKODA AUTO India introduces the new KODIAQ LAURIN & KLEMENT at an introductory ex-showroom price of INR 35.99 lacs
Quote:
The ŠKODA KODIAQ LAURIN & KLEMENT will be available in five colour options: Lava Blue, Quartz Grey, Moon White, Magic Black, and the all-new Magnetic Brown, across all authorized ŠKODA dealership facilities in the country

Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-1.jpg

Source :Skoda+Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th November 2018 at 16:56.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 11:58   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda seems to have dropped the price of the Style Variant of the Kodiaq by about a Lac. It is being touted as a festive discount but my guess is, it is probably a permanent cut. I think they will need to come down much further, say under 30 Lacs to make the Kodiaq price competitive against the likes of the Fortuner.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-kodiaq-price.png  

Old 18th November 2018, 08:41   #135
BHPian

I plan to book the kodiaq tomorrow. I went to the dealer yesterday to see the car that he has in stock (Corrida red) and i noticed that the car is shod with MRF tyres( unfortunately I didnt take note of the model). Also from the VIN and the paint protection cover sheets on the car, its clear that the car is May 2018 manufactured. The dealer informed me that it's been with them since about 30 days. So it makes it almost 6 months post manufacturing. Is there anything that i need to worry about? The MRF was a disappointment, but maybe it's just me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks