Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2021, 14:59   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post

It's a huge paradigm shift for me, and I am curious about the NVH and refinement levels that the diesel offers. I discounted the petrol purely because I do not wish to drive a 3 pot petrol after having what is probably the most refined 4 pot petrol on the market.
Go to a different dealer and check out the Petrol MT, its pickup will make up for the lack of a cylinder.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 15:32   #362
BHPian

Quote:
It's a huge paradigm shift for me, and I am curious about the NVH and refinement levels that the diesel offers. I
This diesel engine is right at the top of the segment in terms of refinement and NVH. I am yet to drive another diesel that is as refined as this one.

However, one piece of advice for those looking at the MT:
The 1st gear is too long and the 2nd gear too short. You will shift from 1st to 2nd around 18-20 kph and 2nd to 3rd around 25-30 kph.
This requires you to shift down to 1st gear everytime even in mild traffic and when taking small speed bumps.

Most folks won't notice this in a test drive but it becomes quite a cumbersome experience over long city drives.
Make sure you are comfortable with this aspect before putting your money down.
anantpoddar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 15:36   #363
BHPian

Quote:
It's a huge paradigm shift for me, and I am curious about the NVH and refinement levels that the diesel offers. I discounted the petrol purely because I do not wish to drive a 3 pot petrol after having what is probably the most refined 4 pot petrol on the market.
I TD'd both the manual and AMT Petrol versions, over the same route that had a good mix of highway and bad roads. And this vehicle has stayed at #2 on my list since then (losing out to the Magnite on VFM) - but by far #1 of all the vehicles I've TD'd in the last 3 months.
Suspension is beautiful, and you don't feel the 3-cyl setup at all. The noise insulation is pretty good and I definitely felt that I was inside an SUV whether I was in the front row or the back row. So my recommendation is, don't dismiss the Petrol variants - definitely worth a try.
If I were in the market for an MT, my search would have stopped right there - the transmission was smooth and short, the response quick and prompt!
But the AMT felt wheezy. I am not sure if the missing electronics on-board had anything to do with it - this vehicle came without the infotainment system. Might also be that I wasn't driving the AMT the way it should have been driven.
Old 30th March 2021, 15:55   #364
BHPian

Quote:

Well, that's where the market is moving, isn't it? 3 cylinders with turbos are the norm of today. You atleast get a 1.2L motor from this and the Nexon, while competition are into 1L pots. I think the insulation in the XUV petrol is good and you won't feel much of noise or vibrations.
Coming to the diesel, the NVH is a level apart. It is so good to see what Mahindra has been able to do with a diesel. I have friends who sat in my car and were unable to identify whether it is a petrol or a diesel motor running under the hood.
SansGT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 19:47   #365
BHPian

So I got lucky and a different showroom did have a Diesel W8(o) for test drive.
Immediately hopped on there.

So the ride they had had done a good 41000km on the odo. So a pretty middle age vehicle, which had seen a couple of years worth of test drive abuse.

My impressions:
1. The refinement levels are SO GOOD! After shifting away from idle, the engine just goes so calm! No vibrations, no noise. I had set my expectations at the Nexon diesel levels, which I had recently driven for quite a bit. But boy oh boy does this trounce the Nexon in NVH and refinement. Impressed.
2. There is a slight turbo lag till approx 1400-1500RPM, but after that boy does thing just catapult you.. Nay... Trebuchet you into tomorrow! That 300Nm kicks hard and keeps on giving. It is amazing to drive. The rolling acceleration is just a whole other level. I didn't even notice when I shot from 30-90 after taking a turn. The service rep had to warn me not to hit 100 as the monitoring box logged that.
3. The ride is supreme. Those 17" shoes give it so much confidence, be it turning, or taking curves on the highway, or going over uneven road surfaces.
4. The brakes on the test vehicle were a bit softer than I had expected from quad discs, but maybe that was down to the state of the brakes and tyres.

All in all, super impressed. So much so that I did end up booking the W8(O)
ashishk29 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 08:50   #366
BHPian

On a side note, does the XUV 300 current model still get heated ORVMs? I see it mentioned in this review, but I couldn't find any mention of it on the website, or the brochure. Even the sales rep didn't mention it.
Old 31st March 2021, 18:39   #367
BHPian

The sales executive called me today and told me that my XUV300 D was ready. I had insisted on a PDI, and he wanted me to hurry up and complete the full payment for my car. I had informed him that I won't be paying any amount before doing the PDI myself, and he relented. However, he kept pestering me to transfer at least 50% of the amount or the ex-showroom amount, till the point where it became borderline uneasy to talk. I am worried about a few things now:
1. Why is the sales executive pressing so hard, is it possible that the vehicle has some problem and he wants to sell it as soon as possible?
2. Is it alright to pay the ex-showroom price, but wait for PDI to pay the rest of the charges like RTO charges, insurance, etc
3. I spoke to the showroom about replacing the factory speakers, and they agreed but told me they would send the technician to my home, and did not want to do it at the showroom or the service center? Should I be worried/cautious about something?
4. I am just planning to replace the factory speakers with Infinity Reference (really liked the balanced sound, and the tight base). Could it pose some problems with the warranty later?

Sorry for my super paranoid-sounding post.

Quote:
On a side note, does the XUV 300 current model still get heated ORVMs? I see it mentioned in this review, but I couldn't find any mention of it on the website, or the brochure. Even the sales rep didn't mention it.
The heated ORVMs were removed. I believe somewhere around August 2020. Another post mentioning that https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4939893 (Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review)
alchex7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 19:19   #368
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchex7 View Post
1. Why is the sales executive pressing so hard, is it possible that the vehicle has some problem and he wants to sell it as soon as possible?
2. Is it alright to pay the ex-showroom price, but wait for PDI to pay the rest of the charges like RTO charges, insurance, etc
March 31/Year end is one of the reasons I can think of. The showroom guys want to show the sale in the current FY.

You have to pay the full amount before registration. But you can insist on doing PDI before making any further payments (on top of the booking amount that you have already paid).
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 21:01   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchex7 View Post
The heated ORVMs were removed. I believe somewhere around August 2020. Another post mentioning that https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4939893 (Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review)
That is sad. That was such a class leading premium feature!
Old 31st March 2021, 21:36   #370

Hey guys,

Hope everyone’s safe from COVID.

We’ve been trying to be safe and patiently waiting for the car. We had booked it in February and the estimated delivery date of the XUV300 Diesel AMT White colour is still around mid-May (3-months waiting period). It gives me some time to read a bit about the car before starting to drive it. I’ve been reading a downloaded owner’s manual to familiarise myself with the workings of the car.

Meanwhile I have a few concerns I wanted to get some guidance from you guys about:

- The headlights in this car seem to be weak. I noticed it during one of the test drives as well as on multiple threads and blogs and comments online. Is there any solution to this? I don’t mind spending money on better new lamps but will that screw-up the wiring and hence the warranty of the electrical parts in any way?

- The stock Speakers in this car are really bad, even in the top spec W8 (Optional) model that we’ve booked. It was very disappointing to be honest. It’s quite an expensive car at the end of the day. They could have put decent speakers in it, if not the very fancy ones. I definitely want to upgrade the speakers. Have any of you upgraded your XUV300’s speakers yet? Any suggestions? Mahindra seems to be offering some Sony speakers on their official accessories website. But I was wondering if there is any Bose speaker option for this car? Also, the same question as with the headlights- will the after market speakers mess with the wiring and hence the warranty on the electrical parts of the car? Is it safe to install noise dampers in the door? Do dampers affect the functioning of the air bags or any other feature? Just to clarify, I am not into blasting loud music and have a party in the car. I just like good quality refined sound when on a long road trip. It’s one of the best things about driving. It almost feels like a den.

- The Horn of the car sounds like it’s from an old Santro. Any suggestions? Should i upgrade to something smoother like the VWs horns or should I just shut up and live with the stock horn because of the wiring-work, warranty etc.

- The ACs on two different test drive cars were not cooling very well. I took turns sitting in the front seats as well as the back. I did an afternoon test drive and one in the night. The cars always felt a bit hot inside. I’m hoping it was because of badly maintained test drive cars and not a long-term problem with all the XUV300 ACs. It’ll be a bummer if that’s the case because everything else about this car is so good.

Cheers
Aditya
Old 1st April 2021, 06:05   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Dhull View Post
Hey guys,

Meanwhile I have a few concerns I wanted to get some guidance from you guys about:

- The headlights in this car seem to be weak. I noticed it during one of the test drives as well as on multiple threads and blogs and comments online. Is there any solution to this? I don’t mind spending money on better new lamps but will that screw-up the wiring and hence the warranty of the electrical parts in any way?

- Also, the same question as with the headlights- will the after market speakers mess with the wiring and hence the warranty on the electrical parts of the car? Is it safe to install noise dampers in the door? Do dampers affect the functioning of the air bags or any other feature?

- The Horn of the car sounds like it’s from an old Santro. Any suggestions? Should i upgrade to something smoother like the VWs horns or should I just shut up and live with the stock horn because of the wiring-work, warranty etc.

Cheers
Aditya
1. Headlight bulbs are externally connected to the electrical system and are designed to be swappable. As long as you use a new bulb of the same power ratings, NO. You will not void your warranty. Just make sure to stick to the stock power rating on both bulbs.

2. Speakers are also swappable. As long as you don't add like a dedicated amplifier+subwoofer system, just swapping out the speakers should not affect warranty.

3. Horns also thankfully are swappable. Again, should not void warranty.
ashishk29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 00:30   #372
BHPian

Quote:
- The headlights in this car seem to be weak. Is there any solution to this? I don’t mind spending money on better new lamps but will that screw-up the wiring and hence the warranty of the electrical parts in any way?

- Have any of you upgraded your XUV300’s speakers yet? Any suggestions? Also, the same question as with the headlights- will the after market speakers mess with the wiring and hence the warranty on the electrical parts of the car? Is it safe to install noise dampers in the door? Do dampers affect the functioning of the air bags or any other feature?
Mahindra is quite liberal w.r.t modifications in honouring warranty claims.

I had installed H7 HIDs in the low beam projectors right after delivery and no questions were asked by Mahindra during warranty claims.

I've upgraded to Infinity's Reference speakers + Pioneer GM D8704 amplifier + Active subwoofer + damping. Used plug and play connectors (same as Creta) to avoid any change to wiring. Again no issues in honouring warranty claims.
I've heard great reviews of JL Audio's C1 components as well, though, never tried them. I'm quite happy with Infinity.
If you're not into loud music, then you can skip damping as sheet metal used in doors is quite solid.

Last edited by anantpoddar : 2nd April 2021 at 00:34.
anantpoddar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 08:37   #373
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is it safe to install noise dampers in the door? Do dampers affect the functioning of the air bags or any other feature?
Damping is on sheet metal. Not on any components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantpoddar View Post
If you're not into loud music, then you can skip damping as sheet metal used in doors is quite solid.
Get the doors damped. Damping helps irrespective of the type of music we listen to. Unless the music is like in those pvt buses and people movers in rural areas.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 14:24   #374
BHPian

Hi All.
I have heard that Mahindra has corrected the petrol XUV 300 pricing. I was today checking on road price in Carwale site in my city ( Bhubaneswar) and I found a huge price difference in diesel & petrol, which was not so earlier.

For example- W8 diesel- On road- 13.03 lacs
W8 petrol- On road- 11.23 lacs
Difference- 1.80 lacs

Will you guys still recommend a diesel? The ARAI certified FE are also pretty close 17 vs 20 kmpl, unlike other petrol/diesel models where FE gap can be 5/6 kmpl.

I had test drove a diesel sometime back and that time got impressed with the car coming from my present Verna 1.6 CRDI. The NVH was impressive & 300 nm of torque was addictive. Only thing I missed is the dead pedal which I am so used to now.

That time, I did not take TD of petrol as the price difference was small ( around 60 k or so). But now I think I should try a petrol too.

Those who have experienced both, please draw a comparison and your opinion please-

1. If budget is not a constraint, which one will you choose?
2. NVH of both.
3. Actual FE of both.
4. Which one would be more niggle free?
5. Do you miss the dead pedal?
6. After Verna, is XUV 300 advisable? I am ok with small boot. I am considering this as almost a Creta with 2600 mm of wheel base.

Cheers

Last edited by Chitta Pradhan : 4th April 2021 at 14:28. Reason: correction
Old 4th April 2021, 16:58   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Hi All.

1. If budget is not a constraint, which one will you choose?
2. NVH of both.
3. Actual FE of both.
4. Which one would be more niggle free?
5. Do you miss the dead pedal?
6. After Verna, is XUV 300 advisable? I am ok with small boot. I am considering this as almost a Creta with 2600 mm of wheel base.

Cheers
I believe you should TD the petrol and that would help you decide. I can talk from diesel perspective while for petrol, I have driven it once.
  1. As you compared W8 of both, it isn't an apple to apple comparison. I believe the W8 diesel now comes with a sunroof while the W8 petrol doesn't. Please compare prices of W8 (O) for a fair comparison. Having said that, both engines are class leading in terms of torque and enough horses to make the car a punchy one to drive. I would suggest you check your monthly usage and go for the diesel if it makes economic sense. However, the diesel is just amazing especially in terms of NVH and gives the feel of a gasoline motor. That combined with that 300 NM is a mouth watering prospect.
  2. As stated above, diesel NVH is just amazing. I think the petrol has quite good NVH too.
  3. For diesel, sedate highway drives will give 22-23 kpl. Drive it at 100-120 and it returns 18-20 based on how heavy you are on the pedals. City drive with a mix of open roads and heavy traffic returns 16-17. Traffic at its worst (office hours Mumbai B2B traffic) will give 12-13. You can deduct around 3 kmpl from these figures to get petrol FE. However, do remember that turbo petrols are prone to give poor FE if driven too hard.
  4. In terms of engines, the petrol is relatively new to the Mahindra stable who have always been known for their diesel mills. However, I haven't heard of any big problems with the petrol motor serving in the XUV. Mahindra is now investing in making good petrol engines and their recent mStallion lineup is excellent too. So, you can expect the 1.2 to be niggle free.
  5. Personally no. I have never owned a car with a dead pedal and I am used to it. Others who are used to a dead pedal may miss it.
  6. Why not if your budget is in this range? It is a superb car, quite fun to drive, amazing set of engines, excellent ride and the 5* GNCAP rating. The Hyundai 1.6 is a benchmark when it comes to diesel engines in this segment and the 1.5D comes the closest in terms of drivability as well as figures on paper.

Last edited by SansGT : 4th April 2021 at 17:01.
SansGT is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed