Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2021, 19:15   #376

Re: Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review

XUV 3OO 2021 Feb model buying experience

My friend bought a XUV 3OO W8 Opt after extensive research (and by extensive I mean extensive). He is a driving enthusiast who previously drove a 2010 Honda City and plans to tour on not so good roads in the near future.The main selling points as per him were the impressive safety features of this vehicle. He was particularly most impressed by the 3 point seat belt on the middle rear seat, which he appreciated on the test drive vehicle. He found to his utter dismay that the 3 point seat belt had been changed to a 2 point seat belt in the car delivered to him. Moreover, there was no tiretronics on the infotainment system. He took it to the dealer thinking they had installed a lower variant infotainment system. The dealer claimed that a software update was required and it was working thereafter. Though he was somewhat mollified by the dealer's prompt action, he was still left scratching his head at the pointless, thoughtless and dangerous action by Mahindra of removing the 3 point seat belt. For a manufacturer whose touted selling point is safety, and who is source of great pride due to their Indian origin, this is a disastrous and cheap cost cutting measure. This especially since the latest version of his previous car, the new Honda City, now sports 3 point seat belts in the middle rear seat. Not to mention the upcoming Taigun. We hope Mr Anand Mahindra would see the glaringly obvious error in this decision and fix the issue through a recall.
Dramadude is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 20:41   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SansGT View Post
[*]As you compared W8 of both, it isn't an apple to apple comparison. I believe the W8 diesel now comes with a sunroof while the W8 petrol doesn't. Please compare prices of W8 (O) for a fair comparison.
[/list]
Thanks. Not knowing about that. Your are right. W8(O) has a on road price gap of only 88k, W6 has a gap of 68k. Don't know why diesel W8 has more features than it's petrol counter part, and thus is pricey. I do n't require a sun roof, but have to pay for it in W8 diesel. W6 does not have many useful features, thus can n't go for that.

With minimal gap between diesel & petrol, I think it's a no brainer to go for diesel. What's the rpm reading @ 100 kmph in top gear? In Verna it's around 1800 rpm. I would like similar figures in XUV 300 diesel. How good or bad is the turbo lag?

I am planning another TD soon to again have a feel of the car.

Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 21:04   #378

After using Etios Liva for 4 years we felt a need for upgrade, as our family of 2 became 3 in Dec 19,and after searching extensively for a safe car, finalized on W8(O) Diesel Automatic. It's been almost 15 days since I've booked, but the dealer doesn't have any update yet. I was told there's a waiting period of 2 months though. Hopefully i should get a delivery in the coming weeks.

The issue is, even though I've paid a booking amount, the dealer says I will be charged the applicable rates as on invoicing date. I understand this, but there's news of an increase in car prices. Though I'm ready to take delivery after immediate payment, i might end up paying more due to non availability of stock, which is not my fault. Request Bhpians to suggest a strategy for this situation.
pralok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 23:30   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
In Verna it's around 1800 rpm. I would like similar figures in XUV 300 diesel. How good or bad is the turbo lag?

Thanks
It is around 1900 RPM in 6th gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pralok View Post

The issue is, even though I've paid a booking amount, the dealer says I will be charged the applicable rates as on invoicing date. I understand this, but there's news of an increase in car prices. Though I'm ready to take delivery after immediate payment, i might end up paying more due to non availability of stock, which is not my fault. Request Bhpians to suggest a strategy for this situation.
Well, this is the scenario with most cars due to the global semi-conductor shortage. Also, for any car, you will end up paying the price at the time the vehicle is delivered to the dealership. I don't think you can help. You can leverage your relationship with the dealership to get some additional discounts or accessories free of cost.
SansGT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 06:44   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pralok View Post
It's been almost 15 days since I've booked, but the dealer doesn't have any update yet. I was told there's a waiting period of 2 months though. Hopefully i should get a delivery in the coming weeks.
Seems to be the condition everywhere. The dealer quoted a similar 60 day waiting period for me as well. One other showroom even suggested a 3 month waiting.
The global silicon shortage is hurting all businesses.
If you are flexible on colour choices, keep in touch with your sales rep about any booking cancellations. You can get a slot on the shortlist if any cancellations happen.
Old 5th April 2021, 08:05   #381

Quote:
It is around 1900 RPM in 6th gear.

Well, this is the scenario with most cars due to the global semi-conductor shortage. Also, for any car, you will end up paying the price at the time the vehicle is delivered to the dealership. I don't think you can help. You can leverage your relationship with the dealership to get some additional discounts or accessories free of cost.
Yes, this seems to be the answer from Dealership as well - "Semi Conductor Shortage". But it's been there for almost more than an year and Automobile companies should plan better to cope up with the surge in demand for Compact SUVs.

I have asked for Rain visor,parcel tray and magnetic sun shades as accessories only, as the W8(O) being the top varient comes with almost everything. Will try to push the dealer to give these free as the total cost may be around 5k.
pralok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 13:59   #382
BHPian

Has anyone done, or considered applying a wrap on the interiors?
I saw M2ALL list a few sticker pieces for the center fascia and AC vents, but what if one were to wrap most of the other beige panels?
I would really prefer to have it in a darker shade. (Skipping the knee airbag of course)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
How good or bad is the turbo lag?
For the diesel, below 1500RPM the turbo lag is noticable.
You have a second or two of kinda numb response, and then the 300Nm wakes up and throws you into space. It only takes the engine a couple of seconds to push past 1500RPM, and the torque is incredibly usable after that. So drivability is not an issue.

Last edited by ashishk29 : 5th April 2021 at 14:08.
ashishk29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 18:23   #383
BHPian

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-screenshot_20210405182008_chrome.png
Surprised to see XUV300 selling less than magnite and Ecosport doing pretty well. Xuv300 seems to be a average product for Mahindra. Shame it was a good car, small boot and high price did not cut with customer. I bought my Nexon a month before XUV300 was launched and I had no regrets

Last edited by aniyo : 5th April 2021 at 18:35.
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 18:39   #384
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
Surprised to see XUV300 selling less than magnite and Ecosport doing pretty well. Xuv300 seems to be a average product for Mahindra. Shame it was a good car, small boot and high price did not cut with customer. I bought my Nexon a month before XUV300 was Launched and I had no regrets
M&M is probably the hardest hit because of the Semi conductor shortage - those who have booked will hear waiting period.

Link

The sales numbers overall for some months will be a little unreliable as to an indicator of the success or failure of car models due to supply chain problems. All brands seems to be struggling to meet demands at the moment, except the perennial low performers.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 18:47   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
M&M is probably the hardest hit because of the Semi conductor shortage - those who have booked will hear waiting period.

Link

The sales numbers overall for some months will be a little unreliable as to an indicator of the success or failure of car models due to supply chain problems. All brands seems to be struggling to meet demands at the moment, except the perennial low performers.
I agree the effect of semi conductor shortage. However in the last 6 months XUV300 has not crossed 5k sales and is either 5th or 6th (essentially last since wrv is irrelevant).
Meanwhile Nexon has more than 6k sales/month, Sonet more than 7k/month over the same period.

XUV300 should be an important focus point for Mahindra they seem to be caught up with XUV500 launch
Old 5th April 2021, 19:03   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
I agree the effect of semi conductor shortage. However in the last 6 months XUV300 has not crossed 5k sales and is either 5th or 6th (essentially last since wrv is irrelevant).

That's not quite correct. XUV was doing better than Urban Cruiser and Ecosport for the last 4-5 months. It was doing around 4-4.5K and the numbers fell in the last 2 months. The semi conductor shortage has a role to play as the availability of cars is quite limited (evident from this thread too). Heck, Mahindra had to postpone the XUV500 launch for the same issue.
It has never been a best seller, but the recent price correction has made the numbers go up versus earlier.
SansGT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 20:14   #387
BHPian

Quote:
That's not quite correct. XUV was doing better than Urban Cruiser and Ecosport for the last 4-5 months. It was doing around 4-4.5K and the numbers fell in the last 2 months. The semi conductor shortage has a role to play as the availability of cars is quite limited (evident from this thread too). Heck, Mahindra had to postpone the XUV500 launch for the same issue.
It has never been a best seller, but the recent price correction has made the numbers go up versus earlier.
Yes I agree, that's why I said 5th or 6th since Urban Cruiser is a rebadge and WRV is irrelevant to the conversation.
So generally it is
1. Brezza
2. Venue
3. Sonet
4. Nexon
5. XUV300/Ecosport
6. Ecosport/ XUV300

Also Ecosport is a 8 year old product surviving on facelifts (once the petrol engine set was overhauled).
XUV300 is a fresh product, I quite liked it. Budget constraints and small boot are the 2 main reason I did not opt for the XUV300.

What I was saying is despite being new and a good looking product it never featured in the top 3 or 4 many times since launch. And Mahindra has XUV300 as the only mass product which they could have done a better job with.
I am not questioning the product but the way it was managed by Mahindra, bare bones mid variant, expensive top variants, AMT in a 14L car etc.
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 21:27   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.sumit View Post
Question to Mahindra XUV300 Petrol owners, how is your overall experience with the below:

1. Overall reliability of the car and after sales service.
The reliability is a little too early to comment on. I have driven it for 3.5K in my 4 months of ownership. The after sales service has been simply outstanding. This was a pleasant surprise to me as most of the reviews on the forum state it as a hit or a miss.
2. Average fuel economy in city and highway.
My city usage has been very low (less than 20%). The overall mileage has been around 17 for me. City would be 13 to 14 while the highway mileage has always been 18 to 20 kmpl
3. Availability and cost of spares
Did not need any yet but looks like the overall packages offered are pretty reasonably priced. My first service would cost me 3.2K which is very reasonable
4. Seating comfort, both front and rear (extremely important)
This is where the XUV scores pretty well. With wider seats you definitely have great comfort. It easily seats 3 adults in the rear, I have driven with 5 adults and 2 kids on board from Vijayawada to Hyd and no one complained about not being comfortable. One observation from the W8 seating is the driver seat makes a little karr karr noise while I try to adjust myself at traffic signals
5. How well is the car ageing? Any rattles or failures?
I think this car will age really well. Mine is the dual tone red & white and it gets a few stares whenever I take it out for a spin. Only one rattle experienced so far, the IRVM was making a very small noise when driven on multiple speed breakers (small ones at toll gates). I took it to the service station and the issue was fixed. They patiently heard me out, ensured they got the issue right and diagnosed it perfectly. No niggles or any rattles apart from that
6. Any issues with the turbocharged petrol engine?
None so far, it pulls like a train. I am light footed and it's definitely a peppy engine.

I'm currently considering a petrol W6 variant for myself. I'm 5'11 and my family members are in 5"3 or 5"4 range. The boot space does bother me but I am willing to make the compromise since you cant get everything at a budget of 10 lakhs on road. I've considered Nexon and Altroz before putting XUV300 on the priority list. Any useful insights on the vehicle would be appreciated. I plan to keep the vehicle for the next 7-8 years minimum so need one that ages gracefully. My annual run is anywhere between 9-12k so not considering diesel.
I did not take the boot space as a compromise at all. It is actually ample for a family of 4. But with standards set at 350 to 400 liters, we feel it's small. I stuffed 4 big bags and one small trolley suitcase and still had a clear view of the rear. My plan is to keep it for 10 years too. I test drove both Altroz and the Nexon. While the Altroz was too low on power, I did not like the interiors of the Nexon that much. Also, the power of the XUV is addictive, so other cars feel a let down. With safety of paramount importance, I chose the XUV trim model with 7 airbags. Must say, there is simply no regret, it ticked all the boxes I had as requirements. Also, I think with so many segment first features, the pricing is not really inflated. Go for it.
Raghu M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 13:47   #389
BHPian

Got a call from the dealership yesterday. They said they might be able to arrange for a W8 instead of W8(o) within the next week.
I sadly had to turn them down.
I want to buy this car exactly for the features that the W8(o) gets and W8 doesn't: 7 airbags, ESP, front parking sensors, TPMS.

With a heavy heart, I politely declined.

On a side note, I was saddened by the thought that the difference between that W8 and the W8(o) are all safety features, and not luxuries.
I would've been OK with a car with no sun-roof, no dual zone climate control, regular alloys over "diamond cut alloys". But no. According to the general car buyers, safety is an optional accessory that they would prefer to choose not to have.
ashishk29 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 17:43   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
Got a call from the dealership yesterday. They said they might be able to arrange for a W8 instead of W8(o) within the next week.
I sadly had to turn them down.
I want to buy this car exactly for the features that the W8(o) gets and W8 doesn't: 7 airbags, ESP, front parking sensors, TPMS.

With a heavy heart, I politely declined.

On a side note, I was saddened by the thought that the difference between that W8 and the W8(o) are all safety features, and not luxuries.
I would've been OK with a car with no sun-roof, no dual zone climate control, regular alloys over "diamond cut alloys". But no. According to the general car buyers, safety is an optional accessory that they would prefer to choose not to have.
This is the toughest period, waiting for delivery after booking the car. Anyways as time and tide waits for none, this too shall pass. You did the right thing by sticking to your priorities while choosing the car. Sticking to it means you won’t repent when it is finally delivered and you are behind the steering wheel.

It’s an unfortunate situation in our country that safety is sold as a premium feature and left for the high end variants only.

All the best and hope your waiting period is shortened.
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks