Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2022, 08:21   #1351
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroydsilva View Post
I feel this could be the missing piece of the puzzle. If you are unable to see this menu in Settings, then it's possible that the earlier versions of the hardware possibly do not have the necessary wireless capabilities. This is just a guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousnewbie View Post
I got my system updated to the latest version (18.11) and I don’t see any WiFi settings either. No wireless CarPlay option either.
If WiFi receiver is the issue then you think connecting a WiFi dongle would help ?
Bringing down the curtains to the issue of wireless AA, I spoke with the Tata technical team and they have confirmed older models of Harrier which did not have the wireless AA feature will not get it anytime in future. The newer models introduced which comes with the wireless AA do have additional hardware such as antenna, wiring harness and few more things included in the Infotainment system. Enthusiasts call of swapping the infotainment system to get the wireless AA feature will be received by Tata with a lot it nays as according to them the swapping process is quite tedious and not a simple plug and play.

Just for the sake of communications, I dropped a mail to customer care and recd a response asking me to contact my dealer from where I bought the car. How ingenious of Tata. I just wanted Tata to confirm over mail whatever discussion took on phone but it seems Tata is hesitant to do that for reasons best known to them. One thing for sure the electronics should have always the scalability options. Any new features introductions should ideally be a seamless transition for older models to newer technologies. Tata lags behind here.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 09:49   #1352
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Bringing down the curtains to the issue of wireless AA, I spoke with the Tata technical team and they have confirmed older models of Harrier which did not have the wireless AA feature will not get it anytime in future.
That’s very disappointing but expected from Tata. These pre facelift updates are baffling. Imagine how difficult it would be for pre owned car buyers. Special editions are fine as long as the theme/colour is the only difference. 18 inch wheels for black edition and ventilated seats/IRA for Kaziranga edition is pretty unfair. Bring the changes in the facelift and stop this incremental update during the life cycle of a certain model.
I guess it was a mistake not to book the black edition. Would have gotten 18 inch wheels and wireless AA along with it. Time to order CarlinKit 4.0 for wireless carplay. But the performance won’t be the same as stock wireless carplay
curiousnewbie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 11:17   #1353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Any new features introductions should ideally be a seamless transition for older models to newer technologies. Tata lags behind here.
I agree, but tech-wise Tata is known to come to the party a little late. This seems like a desperate attempt to catch up.
elroydsilva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 14:12   #1354

Hi,
I observed that the rear fog lamp light is only on the driver side and on the rear passenger side it’s just a reflector. Can anyone confirm that the top model Harrier comes with only one rear fog lamp?
Old 6th August 2022, 22:01   #1355

I have just joined. Have been reading posts for a long time.
I have a 6 year old Maruti Ciaz (gen 1) Zxi+ and have done 91k till date. Around June 21, the bug to upgrade my vehicle bit me and I started my search. Following were the criterias:
1. Pure 5 seater (no 7 seater, no 4 + 1)
2. Atleast as spacious as my Ciaz (good leg room) as there is an over 6 footer in the family.
3. Automatic
Features added after a few test drives and reviews:
4. Panoramic sunroof
5. Wireless Android Auto and Apple Car play
6. Ventilated seats (desirable)
7. Wireless charging (desirable)
8. Electronic boot closing.

My budget was Rs. 17 L ex- showroom.

With the above in mind I called Hyundai for a test drive of Creta. However the SA politely tols me that the same is not available fir test drive, I should look at the 1.5L petrol NA. However, he didn't send any details and just asked to come to the showroom. A few months later, I called another showroom and the response was similar, but the recommendation was for the turbo petrol.

Went to the Tata Showroom (Fortune Motors) for a test drive of Harrier and Nexon. The SA gave me a test drive of the Harrier (in 2021)-the short test drive included road under construction, speed breaker and a small section of freshly concretised road. We both loved it. Liked the Camo colour, but they had discontinued the colour. Family wanted more choice of colours. Further we wanted the top model and that was above our budget.

Test drove the Nissan Kicks. The top model was very budget friendly, but didn't have an automatic in the top model. The centre hand rest was too high for my likely. Rejected.

Looked for competitors for the Harrier with a budget of 21 ex showroom.
Ruled out Hector as the diesel does not have an automatic.

The XUV 700 AX7 does not come in a 5 seater while the AX 5 lacks some basics (no auto AC). So these 2 have given a bye to the Harrier.

Test drove the Jeep Compass. Was impressed but it was expensive and lacked have the Wow factor (for me and my son) to justify the extra bucks.

Also, I had read that Tata service can be a hit or miss. My colleagues had taken other Tata vehicles through Fortune Cars and all praised their service.

In the meantime, Harrier 22 model received an update with all desirables I wanted except wireless charging. They also added colour options. We saw liked the Blue and called our SA (I had been in touch with him throughout) and booked the behicle in Mid July'22. He informed that the vehicle will be allotted by the end of the month.

And surely, it has been allotted in time. Went for the PDI with my daughter and she liked the vehicle. Waiting for the registration to be completed.
Goutsdk is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 10:22   #1356
MaG
BHPian

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Congratulation in advance for the Harrier ownership!
Just wanted to check if Tata Motors has given an Electric Tail Gate now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goutsdk View Post
I have just joined. Have been reading posts for a long time.

8. Electronic boot closing.

Last edited by Sheel : 7th August 2022 at 10:45. Reason: MOD NOTE ATTACHED.
Old 7th August 2022, 10:49   #1357

Apologies. The Harrier still doesn't eat an electronic tailgate. The Jeep Compass had it, and we liked that facility.
Goutsdk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 11:57   #1358
BHPian

Can someone guide me on how to attach the top tether for kids' car seat? The hook for the tether is inside the leather seat cover. Should I cut a hole in the fabric? Seems weird.

Tata Harrier : Official Review-harrier_seat.png
Old 8th August 2022, 12:16   #1359
BHPian

Can you lift the flap and send pictures or check if there is a place to hook up?
Old 8th August 2022, 15:03   #1360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
Can you lift the flap and send pictures or check if there is a place to hook up?
I checked under the flap, but it seems to be all stitched. Couldn't find any opening and hence the question. Top tether is not super necessary, but I'm just trying to see if others have faced and solved this.
Old 8th August 2022, 19:36   #1361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroydsilva View Post
Can someone guide me on how to attach the top tether for kids' car seat? The hook for the tether is inside the leather seat cover. Should I cut a hole in the fabric? Seems weird.
There is no need to cut the hole, you need to lift the flap and you will see the place where you need to tether it. I have it tethered, will try to share a pic later on.
Old 9th August 2022, 10:14   #1362
BHPian

I had lifted the flap and checked. It's stitched tight. Cannot find any opening.
Attaching a photo after lifting the flap. I don't understand what the flap and the velcro fastener is for then. Looks like they just decided not to give a top tether.

Mine is an XZA, just for information.

Tata Harrier : Official Review-harrier_flap.png
Old 13th August 2022, 16:18   #1363

One Year with Harrier XZ

I am a previous owners of Maruti 800/Wagon R/Maruti Ritz/Skoda Rapid and shifted to Harrier XZ in July 2021. I just completed 12000 KMS and third free service. Here are few observations, pros and cons.

1. No issue whatsoever during first year of ownership. (Touchwood). Now there is minor squeaking sound in the dashboard. Brought to the notice of SA during third service and surprisingly he acknowledged the same immediately but could not resolve it as I was not having time to keep the vehicle with him for 4-5 hours. I will get it done soon.

2. Harrier is much criticised for heavy and long travel clutch. (I purchased a pair of knee caps with harrier). however after driving for 12000 KMS, I find that this criticism is not correct. Once I got myself used to operate this clutch, its heaviness and long travel is not noticeable. I have driven it for 550 KMS in a day but did not experience any pain. You have to follow one thing - keep the seat height as low as possible. This makes operating of the clutch very easy.

3. Seating position of Harrier is also criticised on the ground that left knee touches to the lower part of the dashboard. I have got solution to my satisfaction for this issue. You have to adjust seat height + Seat Back and forth adjustment + Seat recline adjustment + lumbar support adjustment right and no knee touching trouble.

4. Sales and service experience of Tata Dealers at Mumbai and Nagpur is satisfying. I can see that they are certainly improving and though the service is not upto the standard of Maruti, it is certainly good and no trouble so far.

5. Clutch burn issue :- I have purchased price to protect plan which covers clutch assembly, suspension bushes, break pads and wipers for four years. It is for peace of mind. I was required to change my driving style completely to drive this big Diesel engine as I was driving petrol for last 18 years. Don’t put foot on clutch with accelerator at the same time is the MANTRA you have to follow to save your clutch. Even in huge Mumbai traffic, just lift your left leg partially from the clutch and the car moves ahead with satisfactory speed.

6. This vehicle can not move from standstill in the second gear. It will shut the engine with a thud and all your electronic gizmos like driving modes will stop working. Then you have to open the drivers door close it and crank the engine. The car will return to normal.

7. Average getting 10-11 in city and 18-20 on highways. No complaint on this front.

8. Big panel gap at the right side of dashboard. You can see it by names eyes easily. No solution for this.

9. The dashboard plastic does allow my Lord Ganesh idol to sit there. I tried multiple times with two-sided tape of good quality and even 3M but there is no grip at all. Don’t know why.

10. Very useful storage below the trunk floor. Can keep lot of stuff like air pump, cleaning stuff, car vacuum cleaner etc. in that place easily.

11. Ride quality as per my reading is very good. You feel some jerks at slow speed but once the speed increases, it works fine. I have tried to drive fast on broken road and the car does not feel much jerky. The back seat passengers also have no complaint. The tyre pressure which is 33 all over initially goes to 38-39 on long rides.

12. The point of concern is headlights and fog lights. They are poor and cause lot of trouble on highways. I have upgraded to led for high beams. Now they work fine and give better illumination but low beam HID sucks. Fog lamps are even poorer. I am thinking of switching either to LED.

13. Accessories purchased till date;
From dealer: mudflaps, mattings, front parking sensor, Blapunkt dash cam.
From outside: door seals, corner guards, door handle guards, body cover, vacuum cleaner, tyre inflator, TPMS with valve sensor caps, sound deadening sheets, LED hi-beams, carpet, water repelling mirror films, films all-over.

14. I have gotten my warranty extended from 2 years to 3 years.

15. I don’t regret for putting my hard earned money on this. Though it is a chance for a man like me, I am very satisfied after one year

Last edited by Aditya : 14th August 2022 at 05:34. Reason: Typos
VK@Harrier is offline   (18) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 14th August 2022, 17:27   #1364

Re: One Year with Harrier XZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by VK@Harrier View Post
11. Ride quality as per my reading is very good. You feel some jerks at slow speed but once the speed increases, it works fine. I have tried to drive fast on broken road and the car does not feel much jerky. The back seat passengers also have no complaint. The tyre pressure which is 33 all over initially goes to 38-39 on long
13. Accessories purchased till date;
From dealer: mudflaps, mattings, front parking sensor, Blapunkt dash cam.
From outside: door seals, corner guards, door handle guards, body cover, vacuum cleaner, tyre inflator, TPMS with valve sensor caps, sound deadening sheets, LED hi-beams, carpet, water repelling mirror films, films all-over.
I have just purchased a Harrier.
I would like to know your experience with the Blaupunkt dashcam?
Also thanks for mentioning the tyre pressure. In this short stay with the Harrier, I was trying to reduce the vibrations and today decided to try out the recommended tyre pressure of 33. Wife surely felt the vibrations had decreased considerably.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th August 2022 at 18:15. Reason: Quote tag fixed
Goutsdk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 21:43   #1365

I am using this dash cam since the purchase. The first one installed was not working. The unit was changed by the showroom immediately at my office. Later on it turned out to be the issue of the memory card. It works fine and flawless. It can snap and store photographs in case of sudden jerk. It don’t have advanced features like GPS etc. But for the basic need it is fine. Starts with the car and shuts when the ignition turned off.
VK@Harrier is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks